Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2018, 18:25   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: My 2018 Honda CBR 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
For the Mighty "Z".
Nice pics, but this one specially is a keeper. .

Did you stay overnight?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 18:38   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Ride to The Statue of Unity
Thank you for sharing the experience. And the picture from the top of the statue is amazing.

We were planning to go there during Diwali holidays, but given that it was opened for public recently, thought of delaying it to avoid the initial crowd. A few of my friends visited the place though.

Would you mind sharing the details of the route to take as well? Did you guys ride till Vadodara and then take right to reach the statue? I was looking at the maps and it looks like if you are riding from Mumbai, there is a diversion from Ankaleswer that would take you towards the Kevadia colony without going towards Vadodara.

How was the crowd when you went? When my friends visited, it took them close to 5 hours to even reach the lift. The queue was that long. Hope you guys didn't have to wait that long.

Ride Safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 21:10   #48
BHPian

Nice pictures there and it's heartening to see that you're doing justice to the bike's capabilities as a comfortable, capable sports tourer.

Are you still on Contigos? The initial lot of ownership reports did not speak too favourably of these tyres. Has the quality improved?

Ride Safe.

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 23:13   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Nice pics, but this one specially is a keeper. .

Did you stay overnight?
Thanks mate, yes we rode back to Ankleshwar for the night halt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Would you mind sharing the details of the route to take as well? Did you guys ride till Vadodara and then take right to reach the statue? I was looking at the maps and it looks like if you are riding from Mumbai, there is a diversion from Ankaleswer that would take you towards the Kevadia colony without going towards Vadodara.
Yes we took the same route, followed Google maps till the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
How was the crowd when you went? When my friends visited, it took them close to 5 hours to even reach the lift. The queue was that long. Hope you guys didn't have to wait that long.

Ride Safe,
R-Six
5 hours!!
We had to merely wait for 20-25 minutes.
Going further this might reduce as there will more lifts operational.
There are 2 now, 2 more will be added eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Nice pictures there and it's heartening to see that you're doing justice to the bike's capabilities as a comfortable, capable sports tourer.

Are you still on Contigos? The initial lot of ownership reports did not speak too favourably of these tyres. Has the quality improved?

Ride Safe.

Cheers !
Thankyou buddy, I intend to ride the bike a lot more in the coming days, its really capable tourer.
I am still running on Contigos, they are fine for the kind of rides I do. Not much of corner carving and you will be fine.
They do provide sufficient grip once heated.
However have to be careful on the short city rides, especially on the wet roads, as the tyres are not very gripy.
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 21:56   #50
BHPian

Great review and pictures there Hunter! I will be watching your thread for updates, especially the photographic ones!

Quote:
Surprisingly the attitude here was very different. The sales person actually took me to their warehouse, cleaned the bikes just to show me the color options. I was also offered a test ride on an ABS and a Non-ABS bike.
Which Honda dealer is this?

I had visited Preetam Honda in Jogeshwari and had the opposite experience. The CBR250R "guy" there flatly denied even the existence of the ABS model! If only Honda had upgraded the 250R to the 300R I would have lined up to own one too!
Old 27th March 2019, 16:31   #51
BHPian

Sorry for not updating the forum regularly.. Badly caught up with work and travelling to work time ( ) ..

Anyways, A quick post this is.
The CBR has completed 6200 kms in 5 months.

2 services have been completed.

The cost for 2nd service was Rs. 1800/-, this included oil & oil filter and the air filter change.

Post the 2nd service, I switched to Motul 300V.

- The bike is now running smoothly and achieving good highway speed is quite easy.
- Also, the bike is constantly returning a healthy mileage of 31 kmpl.

Some Issues
- I have noticed that the handle has some quite serious wobble at speeds between 70 and 80 kmph.
I had complained this during the service but the technician was not able to fix this.
Also I could not test it at the time of delivery as there is not enough space to achieve that speed near the SVC.

Post switching to Motul 300V.
It has been approximately 400 kms since I switched to Motul.

The running temperature since then has been on the higher side. Also in bumper-to-bumper traffic the engine throws a lot of heat.

A couple of days ago I noticed that the engine is knocking on acceleration. However, this only happened for a while and did not repeat later.

I had made the changed the oil at a local mechanic as the Honda technician was not willing to do it during servicing(warranty issues he said).
I believe that the local mechanic did not allow a complete drain and poured the oil immediately.

Can this be the reason for the above issues?
Old 27th March 2019, 17:41   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for not updating the forum regularly.. Badly caught up with work and travelling to work time ( ) ..

Anyways, A quick post this is.
The CBR has completed 6200 kms in 5 months.

2 services have been completed.

The cost for 2nd service was Rs. 1800/-, this included oil & oil filter and the air filter change.

Post the 2nd service, I switched to Motul 300V.

- The bike is now running smoothly and achieving good highway speed is quite easy.
- Also, the bike is constantly returning a healthy mileage of 31 kmpl.

Some Issues
- I have noticed that the handle has some quite serious wobble at speeds between 70 and 80 kmph.

I had made the changed the oil at a local mechanic as the Honda technician was not willing to do it during servicing(warranty issues he said).
I believe that the local mechanic did not allow a complete drain and poured the oil immediately.

For wobble I'd say get your Steering stem bearing checked. Also check your tyre for any kind of asymmetric wear/bulge.

300V was the worst oil I had ever used on my bike. Took forever (like 100KM+ constant riding) to get to working temps and bike was hot and harsh till then. Check if your bike is overfilled with oil from side inspection window. Check your air filter if you ride in a dusty environment.
hgps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 18:30   #53
BHPian

Quote:

The running temperature since then has been on the higher side. Also in bumper-to-bumper traffic the engine throws a lot of heat.

A couple of days ago I noticed that the engine is knocking on acceleration. However, this only happened for a while and did not repeat later.

More important than if he drained properly or poured immediately is that if he poured in the RIGHT QUANTITY. That is of prime importance. Did you check that?

Also, 300V is NOT the right type of oil for a Cbr250r. It's just a fancy fad but it has different and specific use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post
300V was the worst oil I had ever used on my bike. Took forever (like 100KM+ constant riding) to get to working temps and bike was hot and harsh till then. Check if your bike is overfilled with oil from side inspection window. Check your air filter if you ride in a dusty environment.
Again, I fail to understand why people go for 300V for normal use. That oil is meant for high intensity high grade short performance on the race track. Meant to be used and thrown out after the race types. For regular use, and if you want Motul only, then 7100 in 20W40 guise is more than enough. I'd also strongly suggest Shell AX7 10W40.

All the best. Ride safe.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 19:47   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Both of you are spot on about 300v. Even motul does not advice street usage and advocates 7100. However a large number of authorised svc pour 300v into the unsuspecting clientele bikes, since if its good on a race track, its good for the street.

Get rid of the 300v and put a proper synthetic street oil like shell 1040 or liquimoly 1040. And pour in exactly what the manual recommends.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 02:50   #55
BANNED

This is one of those times when you don't get better stuff for the extra moolah you spend.

Accelerated top-end wear have been reported by several CBR250R owners running on the 300V as per reports from a fellow CBR owner in the Kerala xBhp chapter.

As for me, I don't own a CBR but I've run the 300V on my Bajaj Discover 100 4G, as the motorcycle was used to run interstate, had to drain at about 1.5k km's or below, do not recall exact mileage.

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-dsc01755.jpg

At the time it cost about 1.5k per liter. :(

Reason for replacement was due to oil burning, this was a brand new machine after break-in, which had successfully done interstate runs of up to 800 km's a day at the time running on regular 20W40 oil from Elf.

For the less informed, lower the displacement, more the toll on the oil considering similar mileage with a higher displacement motorcycle, but still this was really short, as the oil started burning between 1~1.3km's after running on the oil.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 10:59   #56
BHPian

Quote:
For wobble I'd say get your Steering stem bearing checked. Also check your tyre for any kind of asymmetric wear/bulge.
Checked this the first thing today morning. Nope, no bulge on the tyre. But the rubber has been reduced.

Quote:
300V was the worst oil I had ever used on my bike. Took forever (like 100KM+ constant riding) to get to working temps and bike was hot and harsh till then.
That is what I am experiencing now a days.

Quote:
Check if your bike is overfilled with oil from side inspection window. Check your air filter if you ride in a dusty environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
More important than if he drained properly or poured immediately is that if he poured in the RIGHT QUANTITY. That is of prime importance. Did you check that?
All the best. Ride safe.
The Oil level is a little below MAX on holding the bike straight.
However there was lather in the oil.
(The bike had run a couple of kms and was sufficiently warm while inspection. The engine was running while I checked the oil level.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Even motul does not advice street usage and advocates 7100. However a large number of authorised svc pour 300v into the unsuspecting clientele bikes, since if its good on a race track, its good for the street.

Get rid of the 300v and put a proper synthetic street oil like shell 1040 or liquimoly 1040. And pour in exactly what the manual recommends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
This is one of those times when you don't get better stuff for the extra moolah you spend.

Accelerated top-end wear have been reported by several CBR250R owners running on the 300V as per reports from a fellow CBR owner in the Kerala xBhp chapter.
Very true, the 300V is not meant for the city riding.
Some 500 kms of my experience speaks this now.

I also went with the hype of Motul 300V being the best oil, but learnt my lesson.
Hope I have not made any damage to the bike during this period.
Switching to Motul 7100 10W40 this weekend.

Will update once done.

Thankyou team.
Old 28th March 2019, 11:24   #57
BHPian

Quote:

Will update once done.

Thankyou team.
Pretty sure no damage is done. It has a robust engine. If your service is due within next 1500KMs, keep using current 300V as you'll have to fill in honda throttle to retain your warranty. If not, do consider Shell Advance Ultra 10W40 as well. Amazon slashes its price every now and then, I typically get a bottle (1L) for Rs.510-530/-. Normal prices are 750-800.
Old 31st March 2019, 20:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Adding a few cents worth of mine. 300V isn't meant to be used for street. Period. Motul has marketed their oils very well, unfortunately the end consumer thinks the expensive oil is the best oil which for 300V unfortunately is not. The oil is extremely thin and becomes even thinner once the engine is heated up.

You will feel the effect of the engine oil wear off once the engine is heated up, misshifts, hard gearshifts, engine starting to sound clanky and worse, you might even have a leak somewhere in the engine. These oils are basically one time use, throw and that's about it.

Shell AX7 10w40, Valvoline 20w40, Motul 5100, 7100 are all excellent oils for the CBR. I've personally tried them and found Shell series to be the elixir for the CBR followed by 7100.

You can even try Honda Throttle 10w30 which is cheaper and works very well and helps you keep your warranty in tact.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 31st March 2019 at 20:46.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2019, 21:22   #59
BHPian

Which Engine Oil - Honda CBR 250R ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Adding a few cents worth of mine. 300V isn't meant to be used for street. Period. Motul has marketed their oils very well, unfortunately the end consumer thinks the expensive oil is the best oil which for 300V unfortunately is not. The oil is extremely thin and becomes even thinner once the engine is heated up.

You will feel the effect of the engine oil wear off once the engine is heated up, misshifts, hard gearshifts, engine starting to sound clanky and worse, you might even have a leak somewhere in the engine. These oils are basically one time use, throw and that's about it.

Shell AX7 10w40, Valvoline 20w40, Motul 5100, 7100 are all excellent oils for the CBR. I've personally tried them and found Shell series to be the elixir for the CBR followed by 7100.

You can even try Honda Throttle 10w30 which is cheaper and works very well and helps you keep your warranty in tact.

Cheers!
VJ
Vijay, is it Shell AX-7 ( which is a " Synthetic Technology" oil - a euphemism for mineral oil imbued with Synthetic add ons)

Or

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-screenshot_201903312104292.png

Shell Advance Ultra, which is a fully Synthetic oil? My bike is due for an oil change in none too distant future, and I'd like an expert opinion please .

Cheers !

(PS: Any inputs on Repsol engine oils for CBR. This one is a 10W50. Given Repsol's long association with Honda, and their general decent reputation as far as lubricants go, is it any good?)
Old 31st March 2019, 21:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Engine Oil - Honda CBR 250R ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Vijay, is it which is a " Synthetic Technology" oil - a euphemism for mineral oil imbued with Synthetic add ons)

Or

Shell Advance Ultra, which is a fully Synthetic oil? My bike is due for an oil change in none too distant future, and I'd like an expert opinion please .

Cheers !

This one is a 10W50. Given Repsol's long association with Honda, and their general decent reputation as far as lubricants go, is it any good?)
Hi, IH, I haven't used Repsol as of yet but would love to report my observations on them, as I have enough Shell cans stacked already. The AX series is pretty easy to comprehend. AX-7 is Semi Synthetic, AX-7 Ultra is the Fully Synthetic version. I've used AX-7 and AX-7 Ultra on the CBR and I'd recommend you to get the AX-7 which is cost effective and works very well.

Also during your engine oil service, try to remove your clutch cover and remove the oil pump strainer and get it cleaned, most CBR owners miss this.

Here's a picture where I've circled the strainer. It's present in all CBR 250s.

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-maxresdefault.jpg

Hope it helps!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks