Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2020, 12:55   #61
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Wise move. They can use the time to study the havoc that Honda has caused in this space, re-look at their strategy, and be ready with a fresh game-plan 3 months down the line.
3 months? I'll be surprised if they wait for even 3 weeks with the festive season round the corner!

RE has to get it right in their product line-up, just price it same as the outgoing Thunderbird X, the extra features will be a added value and be done with it
Competition is good but I don't think customers will switch over for 10-20k price difference between the two bikes. They'll buy the bike they like and connect to.

Happy riding your H'ness!
/surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 13:29   #62
Senior - BHPian

Thanks bud. Navratri starts on 17th. I don't think even Honda will be ready this month (in three weeks even). Given that they're very quiet, right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Happy riding your H'ness!
Old 8th October 2020, 16:22   #63
BHPian

RE Meteor launch delayed again

Quoting from Economic Times article:
Quote:
Codenamed J1D, the much awaited Meteor launch, which was to replace Thunderbird, has now been moved beyond Diwali. This would mean the company will miss out on the peak festive buying and J1A – the Classic replacement - is not likely to hit the roads before April 2021.

With almost a 9-month gap between the previous generation Thunderbird and the new Meteor, the company has potentially lost over 50,000 units annually.

Strategically, the company has also decided to focus on margins over volumes. ET learns that the company has dropped the project V - an entry 250 cc bike which was under consideration to challenge new competition. Instead, it is focusing on improving the cost structure with an eye on 25% EBIDTA on 50,000 units per month volumes.
Link to ET News article:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/78537808.cms
texmonster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 16:39   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmonster View Post
RE Meteor launch delayed again

Quoting from Economic Times article:
Link to ET News article:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/78537808.cms
Imagine if there was no Honda Hness (soft)launch. RE would have happily launched the meteor and even started deliveries(guinea pig customers).

Happy that RE is taking sweet time to launch the new platform/engine than going ahead with customers as beta testers.
Old 8th October 2020, 19:53   #65
Senior - BHPian

The last time I remember Honda taking on a dominant Indian model with a new launch was when the Unicorn which debuted in 2004.

The Unicorn was Honda's first motorcycle after it's split from Hero. Having dominated the scooter space, set up a widespread and bust dealer network, Honda next high profile launch was aimed squarely at the home grown success Pulsar.

Bajaj did not panic nor did it go down the route of simply discounting the Pulsar.

Instead Bajaj went in the other direction. The Pulsar UG3 was launched, the improved DTSi engine came with other new features like LCD display, a newly designed front end, smart alloys, piggyback rear shocks etc.... Bajaj also increased prices while still being excellent value. The Pulsar continued to dominate the 150cc+ space and by some margin.

Trying to be cheaper than Honda is not the game RE should play in my opinion.

For all its shortcomings the names Enfield and Bullet are revered by everyone in India, that includes the large percentage who will have next to zero interest in anything automotive, but knows and respects the 'Bullet'. Make no mistake everyone knows the Honda brand, but in terms of stature it is nowhere close.

Enfield needs to offer the better bike, not the cheaper one. Let Highness be cheaper and win the price conscious customer. RE needs to up its game, in terms of quality, reliability, features, design etc. The Meteor range already have the right specifications. What RE needs to do is have a faultless launch from the start. Make sure the bikes have the right reputation and image. Thankfully Honda have played it very conservative and safe. Had they launched a liquid cooled 6-speed motorcycle, then RE would have had to have a rethink and go back to the drawing board.

Honda instead decided to offer a Bullet clone, like the saying goes imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 20:08   #66
BHPian

Browsed thru the RE catalog. Below are the prices ex showroom(Delhi).

STD: INR 127K
ES: INR 142K
350 classic Single channel : 161K
350 Double channel : 169-186K

CB350 : 190K(estimated?)

I think RE needs to phase out the base STD and the single channel classic. And reduce the prices of the existing models by atleast 10k.

This will create a gap where the meteor can be slid without any effort.
Manoj2268 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 20:36   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
RE would have happily launched the meteor and even started deliveries(guinea pig customers).
Absolutely true. 'Guinea Pigging' still happens with ALL their bikes!

However, to be honest, I wonder if all the launch dates they've "missed" so far were even official. It's just the auto blogs and sites saying delayed or postponed. Apart from a few spy shots and brochure leaks, I don't recall RE putting out an official launch date for the Meteor. I might be wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post

Enfield needs to offer the better bike, not the cheaper one.
Agreed. I've often thought that RE should have a PRO offering. PRO for premium quality, performance and reliability. At the least, that way they'll know how many people value quality over pricing, and customers will have a choice - to pick quality or to save money.
Old 9th October 2020, 01:59   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Bajaj did not panic nor did it go down the route of simply discounting the Pulsar.

Trying to be cheaper than Honda is not the game RE should play in my opinion.

Honda instead decided to offer a Bullet clone, like the saying goes imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
I partially agree, but I think it is a different scene here. First I don't think Honda launched a Bullet clone at all, it is a CB350 clone. Perception may be a different thing, but their product vision seems to be based solidly on their own strengths - they did it right!

Secondly I don't think the Pulsar vs Unicorn strategy will fly by itself. I remember being in those infamous fan wars too haha. But long story short, the Pulsar was the more exciting one to ride, and the Uni came across as something more comfort-oriented and less "raw street fun" at least in terms of image. Obviously reserving judgment, but I would be surprised if the REs come across as more fun to ride than the Hness here.

I think RE would be best served offering a 500cc twin, sort of a trimmed-down Interceptor for about 20% less. That would put it just *slightly* above the Hness price point and pull the enthusiast crowd. The addition of their 650cc cruiser will help things more.

The Meteor's success however comes down to quality, I think. Honda is not Benelli or Jawa to be ignored, they have quality-perception on their side and they have dealer network as well. Other things being equal, Honda's reputation in terms of quality would force RE to play the price game at least a little bit.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 9th October 2020 at 02:05.
rajushank84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 09:57   #69
BHPian

How do Honda and RE servicing and spares prices compare? RE on the interceptor has been stellar on their service and customer engagement, much better than triumph or Harley even.
gautam99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 14:40   #70
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 to be launched on November 6

Royal Enfield has announced that the much awaited Meteor 350 will be launched on November 6, 2020.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-meteor.jpg

According to leaked documents, the Meteor 350 will be offered in three variants - Fireball, Stellar and Supernova. The bike will get a new twin-pod instrument cluster with a digital readout and Bluetooth connectivity. It will also get turn-by-turn navigation feature and USB mobile charger.

The Meteor 350 is based on a new J1D platform. It will be powered by a BS6–compliant 350cc, single-cylinder engine that produces 20.2 BHP and 27 Nm.

The bike will feature 41 mm telescopic suspension at the front and twin shock absorbers at the rear. It will ride on 19-inch and 17-inch alloy wheels at the front and rear respectively. The Meteor will get a 300 mm disc brake at the front and a 270 mm rotor at the rear with dual-channel ABS.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 22nd October 2020 at 14:44.
TusharK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 14:51   #71
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 to be launched on November 6

Alright! So its game on now. Royal Enfield has played it safe by waiting for Honda to show its cards with the Highness CB350. So now they know the pricing and USPs that they have to advertise to steal the show.

From my sources at Royal Enfield, the all new 350cc engine has been developed with the counter balancer and is largely vibe-free too, much like the Honda H'ness. This battle would be an interesting one to watch
aravind.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 14:58   #72
Senior - BHPian

Looks like RE wants to battle it out with Honda at the earliest. Now that’s confidence, if the product is good, they will have early mover advantage due to the lack of Big Wing dealerships in the country.

Ridiculous variant names, why RE, why?

It’s either sink or swim for RE at this rate. If there are issues with Meteor as with the Himalayan then they are sunk, especially with the CB350 also on buyers radar.

Interesting times for the consumer, let the companies fight!

Cheers
Old 22nd October 2020, 15:50   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post

It’s either sink or swim for RE at this rate.
Royal Enfield is very far from sinking. They are the ones to beat infact and don't be surprised if the Meteor 350 outsells the Honda 350 by a big margin. RE sells twice as many 350s in a year as Honda sells Unicorns.

And even today, the Dominar for example has never came close to beating Himalayan's sales figures.
avishar is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 16:01   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Ridiculous variant names, why RE, why?
Meteor is the return of a classic nameplate for the company.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-images-3.jpeg

RE surely has been looking up to the cosmos for variant names to match 'Meteor' - Fireball, Stellar, Supernova - it's all from the stargazer's dictionary. Sounds ridiculous all together though!

Should have just been called as Meteor 350, probably with a top variant named Fireball - suits based on word meaning too.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 16:16   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Royal Enfield is very far from sinking. They are the ones to beat infact and don't be surprised if the Meteor 350 outsells the Honda 350 by a big margin.
Sink or swim is a metaphor Avishar. RE surely sells more, they have the reach (read many, many more dealerships) that Honda can’t match with the Big Wing dealerships at the moment. So, beating the CB in the present state of affairs is not a big accomplishment at all. RE also has its cult following, so a person buying a RE will buy it no matter how the product is.

The CB is just launched, let’s wait and see after Big Wing settles down with its presence across India by next year. According to the first riding experiences (a couple), the CB is an extremely well rounded motorcycle in every sense of the word.

RE might also play the price card which will play in its favour. If the Meteor is anything like the Interceptor twins in its quality and lack of issues as such, then it will be really game on. If not, then the people who sell their RE’s for various reasons of quality/niggles (plenty on our forum itself)have a ready competent CB to buy.

Time will tell the true story, but, I still say the quality, reliability and performance of the Meteor will determine its long term success in future with the CB also in the market. RE truly did not have a super competitor thus far.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks