Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2020, 16:06   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 to be launched on November 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
They did manage to pull off a beauty with the interceptor (which has its share of compromises like suspension, tires and lackluster console).

Surrounded by old Bullet buddies trying to convince/sell me on the Interceptor as if it's some brilliant previously unheard of coup pulled off by RE.

So thought I'd finally take the plunge and ask.

Can you explain to me what is so beautiful about a 650 cc twin pushing out 45 bhp? And wheezing its way (finally) past the ton? In 2020?

When its original in 1965 developed 52 bhp and hit 100 mph in 13 seconds flat (quicker finally than both Norton and Triumph) and topped out (bone stock) at over 185 kmph. And weighed 22 kilos less than the modern marvel out of Chennai?

Coz really it's lost on me this sea of adulation I find myself unwillingly swimming in.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 24th October 2020 at 16:24.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 16:40   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

So thought I'd finally take the plunge and ask

Cheers, Doc
Guess it's but I will try to put my thoughts.

It appeals to a set of riders who prefer easy cruising, unhurried, least bothered with the rat race of what BHP/torque at which RPM.
It's a good Jack of all master of none, all rounder bike with its own compromises as said earlier. It's a very forgiving machine which is entirely different from what the Duke offers. Try riding a 390 sedately at 60 kays in 6th gear.
End of the day it's the mindset appeal, and hey if it doesn't appeal to you move on buddy there are loads of stuff which will better appeal to you instead of a 650 pumping out 45 horses. Each to his own else we lose the vibrancy.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 16:42   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you explain to me what is so beautiful about a 650 cc twin pushing out 45 bhp? And wheezing its way (finally) past the ton? In 2020?

Coz really it's lost on me this sea of adulation I find myself unwillingly swimming in.
Very harsh and sarcastic summarisation for the Interceptor 650.

The Interceptor does not wheeze its way past 100, in fact 100 is an extremely calm place for it. I don’t own it, just had an extended test ride, the owners will have their say.

The sea of adulation as you call it is perhaps also because everyone is amazed that RE actually finally managed to pull a rabbit out of its hat. Hope it’s a new beginning in their story and all future models deliver like it does or better.

The stock Interceptor at its price point (very important consideration) and what it delivers in every aspect, deserves the gold medal for sure.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 24th October 2020 at 16:44.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 16:53   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Guess it's but I will try to put my thoughts.

It appeals to a set of riders who prefer easy cruising, unhurried, least bothered with the rat race of what BHP/torque at which RPM.
It's a good Jack of all master of none, all rounder bike with its own compromises as said earlier. It's a very forgiving machine which is entirely different from what the Duke offers. Try riding a 390 sedately at 60 kays in 6th gear.
End of the day it's the mindset appeal, and hey if it doesn't appeal to you move on buddy there are loads of stuff which will better appeal to you instead of a 650 pumping out 45 horses. Each to his own else we lose the vibrancy.
This is all of course great. Horses for courses, and to each his own poison.

That goes without saying.

I was merely trying to understand what was so great about this beauty in 2020 than any other pre 1950s bike of the same capacity and number of cylinders (from the same manufacturer).

Unless it is the fact that we finally have an Indian RE that crosses (somehow) 160 kmph.

Something the Brit ones did more than 60 years ago.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-enfield3.jpg

Being a Bulleteer myself, I can tell you that this is closer to the truth than obfuscation (in my opinion) about being unworried about bhp and torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Very harsh and sarcastic summarisation for the Interceptor 650.

The Interceptor does not wheeze its way past 100, in fact 100 is an extremely calm place for it. I don’t own it, just had an extended test ride, the owners will have their say.

The sea of adulation as you call it is perhaps also because everyone is amazed that RE actually finally managed to pull a rabbit out of its hat. Hope it’s a new beginning in their story and all future models deliver like it does or better.

The stock Interceptor at its price point (very important consideration) and what it delivers in every aspect, deserves the gold medal for sure.

Cheers
Traditionally when bikers speak about "the ton" they mean 160 kmph, and yes the Interceptor (barely) gets past that.

Thankfully. Because it would have been most embarrassing if it did not.

And you are mirorring my point to Ku69rd above. The adulation (incredulity is more like it) is about a RE actually crossing 160 kmph for the first time.

Never mind the fact that they had to add 300 cc and an additional cylinder to get there.

That's like giving a heavyweight a gold medal for competing in (not winning) a welterweight bout.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 24th October 2020 at 17:14.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 17:37   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That goes without saying.

I was merely trying to understand what was so great about this beauty in 2020 than any other pre 1950s bike of the same capacity and number of cylinders (from the same manufacturer).

Being a Bulleteer myself, I can tell you that this is closer to the truth than obfuscation (in my opinion) about being unworried about bhp and torque.

Cheers, Doc
Hi Doc,
Would disagree with your comment around the same capacity. The 60s model you are referring to had a CC difference compared to today's model.

Please refer this link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Enfield_Interceptor

On the contrary those days there were no green activists who were gung ho about emission norms and other strictures. Today making an engine is not a big ask Making an engine compliant with the regulations is a different ball game all together.

As I said we have to move and not cling on to our past,(& I say this after selling my RD 350 which was with me more the number of years than me being without owning one) RE has come a long way ever since Mr Lal has taken over. There would/might have been a lot of erosion in terms of intellectual/knowledge from the 60s to present day. Rebuilding from scratch will take time and I think they are blossoming.

But to expect them to produce an engine compared to KTM, think its against their genes or thought process.

And I think RE has taken inspirations from their 60s model better than Honda taking it from their CB.

@Mods, this conversation is going off topic, can this be moved to a suitable thread?

Last edited by ku69rd : 24th October 2020 at 17:39.
ku69rd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 22:05   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Unless it is the fact that we finally have an Indian RE that crosses (somehow) 160 kmph.

Something the Brit ones did more than 60 years ago.
It's a retro classic you see the Interceptor 650 although the original one had 100cc more. Maybe RE chose 650cc for licensing reasons. The new Triumph Bonneville air cooled, Kawasaki W800 and now the Honda H'ness have power figures closer to their original predecessors. BTW what's ones average riding "legal" speeds on a typical Indian Highway leave alone cities. Besides which other Indian manufacturer or otherwise provides British Retro Classics in 600+cc class in 3 lakhs range?
Quote:
Attachment 2071481
Contradicting above statements eh'.
Quote:
Traditionally when bikers speak about "the ton" they mean 160 kmph, and yes the Interceptor (barely) gets past that.

Thankfully. Because it would have been most embarrassing if it did not.

Never mind the fact that they had to add 300 cc and an additional cylinder to get there.

That's like giving a heavyweight a gold medal for competing in (not winning) a welterweight bout.
An air-cooled 650cc engine hitting those speeds in a "Standard" retro classic design isn't that bad. This is considering the Kawasaki W800 tops out at 177 KMPH and Triumph Bonneville 800 air cooled tops out a 185 KMPH. So a 650cc topping out at 160 isn't that bad leave alone embarassing.

Quote:
Surrounded by old Bullet buddies trying to convince/sell me on the Interceptor as if it's some brilliant previously unheard of coup pulled off by RE.

So thought I'd finally take the plunge and ask.

When its original in 1965 developed 52 bhp and hit 100 mph in 13 seconds flat (quicker finally than both Norton and Triumph) and topped out (bone stock) at over 185 kmph. And weighed 22 kilos less than the modern marvel out of Chennai?
Pasting it again here. It's a retro classic you see the Interceptor 650 although the original one had 100cc more. Maybe RE chose 650cc for licensing reasons. The Triumph Bonneville air cooled, Kawasaki W800 and now the Honda H'ness have power figures closer to their original predecessors. BTW it would have been better if you also included the price differential between Triumph and RE in their current offerings in retro classic Motorcycles. Norton is out because it is dead for now. Which other Indian manufacturer or otherwise provides British Retro Classics in 600+cc class in 3 lakhs range?

Quote:
RE is a very old company. It has its own characteristic DNA. I know personally as riders many of the guys working there. There is a very close connect between RE and Poona and what happens inside, deep inside, is known (and tried) here first. And a lot of the design cues of the newer models have grown as the germs of ideas and raw prototypes on the streets of Poona more than a decade , a decade and a half ago. It's literally like what was done by mechanics and fabricators on one off bikes is now being done by the company.

This story goes back to 2002-2003.
If this is true then it's really hilarious.

Quote:
Most old school Bulleteers owned both the std 500 and the AVL 500 and most will say they love the std more for sentimental purist reasons but the AVL was the best allround 500 that RE ever made. With that lovely gearbox.

No other motor since then came close. The UCE is a ghastly characterless boring motor. Sorry but there just isn't anything nice I have to say about it. That's the last RE I owned.

I'll call the lean burn AVLs Bullets for the same reason. Not the Thunderbird's of course. But the Bullet officially died (was killed) post the UCE and everything since.
That's just your opinion, the UCE motor I meant. Having owning the CI350, AVL 350 and UCE500 I feel UCE has a character of its own especially once it crosses the first 10,000 kms mark. Did you know the AVL 350 Thunderbird uses the same engine you call LB AVL's.

Bullet is still alive and kicking in its UCE and soon OHC form. The sales numbers speak for themselves. Besides emission norms forces any and every manufacturer to ditch old motor designs. Ford Mustang, Dodge Charger, BMW R9T, Honda CB1100, etc. Those models are still selling with the same badging akin to "Bullet".
[/quote]

Quote:
The old joke among Bulleteers is that if RE could increase bhp and top speed like the number of engines they churn out, we would be having 200+ fireballs right now.

Instead 120 is still their wheezy top speed ... slope and tailwind cooperating.
You see another retro classic from Yamaha called SR400 tops out at 130 odd KMPH considering it has a 50cc advantage over the upcoming Meteor. Not sure if I should also include the Benelli Imperiale 400 which tops out at 120 KMPH as well. About the Honda H'ness 350 it too tops out at 125 KMPH if the figures floating around Internet are to be considered. Comparison in the same category (read Retro Classic) is logical, ain't it?

Last edited by navin_v8 : 24th October 2020 at 22:10.
navin_v8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 16:53   #97
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 new teaser, launch on November 6th, 2020

Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 19:54   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 new teaser, launch on November 6th, 2020

https://Youtu.be/F6ivrgTKGx0
The keyword here is "unveil" so not sure if RE will announce the price/delivery dates or all that will happen in 2021. If it is just an unveil, it could be to spoil Honda's party by teasing perspective buyers to wait for Meteor than booking Hness.

Coming to the exhaust sound, is it just me who felt it had hint of interceptor tone to it ? May be intentionally captured the sound from two bikes ?

Last edited by rajshenoy : 29th October 2020 at 19:55.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 10:34   #99
BHPian

Enfield has posted a series of videos teasing the bike on their Instagram channel. Attaching one that gives a teaser of the sound on start up:

http://https://www.instagram.com/p/C...d=lcxj98gzgxsx
philipmathen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 12:03   #100
Senior - BHPian

Siddhartha Lal introduces Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-smartselect_20201030115900_twitter.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-smartselect_20201030115415_chrome.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-smartselect_20201030115437_chrome.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-meteor1700x556.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-meteor2700x556.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-meteor3700x556.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-meteor4700x556.jpg

Quote:
We hope and believe that we can harness the goodwill and amazing times that we have all had riding the Citybike, Lightning and especially the Thunderbird, and invoke this knowledge and energy to create the next level of highway cruising with the Meteor 350.

The spirit of pure, simple, unhurried and immersive motorcycling that defines our actions at Royal Enfield is the culmination of all our experiences and our belief of what our riders want from their steed. At our core, we are a team of riders designing and making motorcycles. We are not only planning to retain the title of the best highway cruiser in India but to also take that experience a whole lot higher. Our teams have ridden the roads of India extensively alongside our customers.

Learning from those lakhs of kilometres and from the pains and joys of riding, we have put every ounce of our learning into our all-new highway cruiser, the Meteor 350, which is first and foremost, a thoroughly refined motorcycle for all the senses. The chassis, suspension, engine character, ergonomics, and every other aspect of the Meteor combine together to give much more than a sum of their parts - to give an effortless, enjoyable, engaging journey for hours and days and weeks on end, where you emerge energised after the ride. The refinement and response is reminiscent of motorcycles in a much higher capacity and price class, and opens up doors for Royal Enfield in markets around the world where commuters are evolving into leisure riders. The Meteor gives a supreme level of confidence and the right amount of feedback to riders of all abilities and is built to be your ally for travels and adventures for years and even decades.

I felt really good about my objective love for the Meteor’s looks, and a bit stupid about how long it took me to recognise a motorcycle that I had been deeply involved with for 3 years now!

Well, it’s here now - the gorgeous and refined great Indian highway cruiser for the global market. Welcome to a new era in cruising with the all new Meteor 350. It’s been some time in the making, but it is absolutely worth the wait.
https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/m...eor/sid-speak/

Last edited by Venkatesh : 30th October 2020 at 12:07.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 12:13   #101
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 teased ahead of launch

Royal Enfield has released a teaser video of the upcoming Meteor 350. The bike is scheduled to be launched on November 6, 2020.

The Meteor 350 is based on a new J1D platform. It will be powered by a BS6–compliant 350cc, single-cylinder engine that produces 20.2 BHP and 27 Nm. The bike will feature 41 mm telescopic suspension at the front and twin shock absorbers at the rear. The brake setup will consist of disc brakes at both ends with dual-channel ABS.

According to leaked documents, the Meteor 350 will be offered in three variants - Fireball, Stellar and Supernova. The bike will get a new twin-pod instrument cluster with a digital readout and Bluetooth connectivity. It will also get turn-by-turn navigation feature and USB mobile charger.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 30th October 2020 at 12:17.
TusharK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 15:11   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 teased ahead of launch

Royal Enfield has released a teaser video of the upcoming Meteor 350. The bike is scheduled to be launched on November 6, 2020.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=yXpQRIRmFn8

The Meteor 350 is based on a new J1D platform. It will be powered by a BS6–compliant 350cc, single-cylinder engine that produces 20.2 BHP and 27 Nm. The bike will feature 41 mm telescopic suspension at the front and twin shock absorbers at the rear. The brake setup will consist of disc brakes at both ends with dual-channel ABS.

According to leaked documents, the Meteor 350 will be offered in three variants - Fireball, Stellar and Supernova. The bike will get a new twin-pod instrument cluster with a digital readout and Bluetooth connectivity. It will also get turn-by-turn navigation feature and USB mobile charger.

Link to Team-BHP News
A note from Sid Lal about the Meteor has also been published by RE. I am truly in awe of what RE has achieved in his leadership. What an amazing balance between product development and profit maximization. B-school case study stuff, just like Apple. Here's the link to Sid's note, sounds all heart: https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/m...eor/sid-speak/
Pjango is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 15:29   #103
BHPian

What's the weight of Meteor? I think it has not yet been leaked?
Old 30th October 2020, 16:29   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmonster View Post
What's the weight of Meteor? I think it has not yet been leaked?
I remember reading from the brochure leaks it should be around 18x kg.

interesting to see RE pitching this as a "Highway cruiser", perhaps to differentiate from Honda 350 which is a roadster and primarily targeting the C350.

I highly doubt if RE will try to undercut Honda by huge margin here since it is targeting different type of audience. Also as i read before, Meteor 350 could be beta product before they learn about the platform and eventually launch the classic 350 next avatar. Thunderbird hardly sold as compared to C350 numbers which put some of the 150cc bikes to shame.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 17:22   #105
BHPian

A video teaser of the Meteor, from RE's CEO Mr Vinod K Dasari:

foxworkz is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks