Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2023, 17:53   #871
BHPian

Re: Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amey027 View Post
Does it have hill hold? I heard through a friend it's a gimmick and needs manual activation. Doesn't automatically detect a gradient, have to press both brakes for 3s before it activates. If true, this is not very intuitive. I recently sat in an electric auto rickshaw in Bangalore and was surprised it had a seamless hill hold. Expecting similar in 2Ws as well
Even though I have the Move OS3.0 Hill hold is not activated yet. As per the OLA support, it is being added to all in staggered manner. From what I have read, the Hill Hold will work automatically when you press any of the breake lever for more than 3 seconds, hill hold gets activated. To deactivate it just ride on. Though until I don't see it, I will not trust it.

There are few issues that I have observed and should be fixed.
  1. Needs battery health information displayed
  2. Should provide data on how many units have been used and how many kms done. Ather provides monthly charts.
  3. Proximity sensor is a hit or a miss. So I stopped using it completely.
  4. Added 2 more riders in my OLA and now if they have used the scooter, scooter fails to connect to my phone in the first go. Then you have to unlock using the code and then pair it with the phone again.
  5. HyperChargers fail to charge your scooter sometime. It gives an error message that hyper charger can't charge. No explanation from OLA support

Last edited by kailashnj : 11th January 2023 at 17:54.
kailashnj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 18:14   #872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ What is the cost? Please inform after installation if the side step is of a load bearing nature, because women riding pillion sideways will use it as a step to climb on. It is one thing to just keep the feet on it, and another to use it for climbing on.
I don't think they have any stock of it. The side step is 1999 and the main stand is 999. I tried to book the main stand but I get it as coming soon in my OLA Electric app.
Old 16th January 2023, 17:14   #873
BHPian

I am in the market for an Electric Scooter for a daily commute of around 50kms in Himachal. Has anyone bought the Ola S1 Pro without the 'Performance Upgrade' accessory. Basically, you get an Ola S1 with a bigger battery, but for 11k cheaper. Also, I sent an email to Ola Support enquiring about their Spare Parts list and price, but they didn't share anything with me. To buy an EV without knowing the spare parts cost is a big risk in my books and I really didn't like the fact that they don't want to share it, despite me being very clear in my email, that not sharing the parts and price list will make me look elsewhere. Looks like they already have enough sales that they are willing to let go of customers like me who want to make an educated choice.
Old 20th January 2023, 17:50   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
I am in the market for an Electric Scooter for a daily commute of around 50kms in Himachal.
Please do a test ride of the scooter before purchasing as you may want to find out more about the incline handling capabilities of the scooter. I have personally experienced that the ola s1 faces some difficulty on high gradients especially when having to stop and start from zero speed with pillion rider.
Old 21st January 2023, 22:19   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev_junkie View Post
Please do a test ride of the scooter before purchasing as you may want to find out more about the incline handling capabilities of the scooter. I have personally experienced that the ola s1 faces some difficulty on high gradients especially when having to stop and start from zero speed with pillion rider.
I can only test ride the Okinawa where I live and I did test ride that one and it had no problem pulling me and I even tried start and stop on an incline. There are Ola users here who are using the S1 and they only faced issue in Eco mode or if the battery goes down. I think it is a known issue that S1 will force the scooter into Eco mode if the battery/motor gets too hot and also if the battery level drops below 15-20% and the scooter doesn't climb in the Eco mode. That's why I want to go with the Pro or a scooter/bike which has an even bigger battery. Unfortunately, I won't be able to test ride most of the offerings as they just aren't available in Himachal and many of them don't even sell in Himachal currently and that too limits my options. The load on the bike will always be 150kgs considering I myself weigh around 110.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 16:32   #876
Senior - BHPian

Is it some announcement on OLA S1?

https://www.youtube.com/live/HO_K5jr3PCw
Old 17th February 2023, 13:48   #877
Senior - BHPian

Ola scooters battery price

S1 (3kwh) - Rs 66,549
S1 pro ( 4kwh) - Rs 87,298

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-20230217_134610.jpg

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-20230217_134613.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 11:57   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Ola scooters battery price

S1 (3kwh) - Rs 66,549
S1 pro ( 4kwh) - Rs 87,298
With the recent news of lithium deposits found in india and Ola themselves going to manfacture their own battery cell hopefully the battery costs will reduce significantly given the huge R&D going on by the time its time to replace the battery in the next 4-5 years.
Old 20th February 2023, 10:32   #879
BHPian

These prices look super expensive. Elon Musk had stated two years ago that the cost of batteries had dropped to less than 100 dollars per KWhr at the cell level. Even adding another 50 dollars at pack level, which I feel is not the case for two-wheelers, the price should be somewhere around 12000rs per KWhr. Lithium Iron should be even less than that.
Old 24th February 2023, 11:34   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
I can only test ride the Okinawa where I live and I did test ride that one and it had no problem pulling me and I even tried start and stop on an incline. There are Ola users here who are using the S1 and they only faced issue in Eco mode or if the battery goes down. I think it is a known issue that S1 will force the scooter into Eco mode if the battery/motor gets too hot and also if the battery level drops below 15-20% and the scooter doesn't climb in the Eco mode. That's why I want to go with the Pro or a scooter/bike which has an even bigger battery. Unfortunately, I won't be able to test ride most of the offerings as they just aren't available in Himachal and many of them don't even sell in Himachal currently and that too limits my options. The load on the bike will always be 150kgs considering I myself weigh around 110.
Not sure how reliable ola will be in hilly roads, try running for exteded time on hill and check the performance and then decide. You won't always have full charge in scooter, better go for one which gives reliable performace till ~5% battery levels.
Old 7th March 2023, 11:17   #881
BHPian

Purchase-Cancel-RePurchase experience

Hi Everyone,

I am new member of team-bhp. Thought of starting my journey here by sharing my experience of ola s1 pro purchase. Kindly excuse me for this elaborated/lengthy post, I thought of sharing all my experience in detail here. This is not much of review of scooter as it was covered already here multiple times. I'm just sharing my experience with purchase, cancellation and repurchase and interactions with sales and support team.

Dipping my toes
I have Honda unicorn dazzler of 12 years age, and showing signs of old age, long trips becoming a hectic, tiresome task. My requirement was to buy a scooter that can be used by my wife and father, do office round trip for 30km, occasional travel of 80km. Also it should be easy to carry 1 or 2 weeks of groceries/vegetables purchase. With high petrol price, i started to checkout EVs in 2020 with Ather 450, but because of covid and work from home i did not think about that until 2022 when companies started calling employees to office. By that time, there were other companies made their entry ev market, notably OLA.

Around diwali 2022, i got a test ride of ola s1 pro, i liked it's punching acceleration and thrilling ride. But because of initial software and hardware issues i decided to wait for some more months.

By this time I have seriously consistered ather and ola. I was a really confused for making a decision between them. From what I heard, Ather had better quality and good feedback on the owners. Lots of media repoted highly negative reviews on ola because of their quality on panel, weak suspension, catching fire on one of the scooter etc. Ola electric Twitter handle was also were very busy on responding to complaints posted by owners or those waiting for delivery. But I was very impressed with the battery sizen and range of ola, also amazed with huge boot space. When I checked with some of the people around my area who got ola in the mid of 2022, they informed me that had a very good experience and they are very happy with their scooters. Also with my test ride experience I got a feeling that news channels might be over exaggeting issues reported on ola, maybe because ola not giving much advertisement opportunities to them like the other EV scooters. Also when I started looking to ather and other EV brands twitter handles and I found out that lot of issues were reported there by the owners, but they were never made it to the news. Even scooters got on fire from a service centre also I didn't see in much of the news. I was very impressed by ather's test ride in jan 2023, but its high price and small battery, less boot capacity also did not help me to make a decision. In the end I chose to give Ola benefit of doubt and decided to purchase, because of price to value benefit and feedbacks from some people I know. Since my purchase decision was between ola and ather, you might find some comparison with ather below, kindly excuse.

Jumping into purchase
Towards Jan end i came to know that ola has tweaked their suspension little bit to increase its strength and I requested for another test ride hoping i might see new scooter. But they bought me old scooter from initial batch and the brand champion (will refer as Mr G from now on ) informed me that he rode that scooter in many bad roads and he did not face any issue with suspension. Ola had this offer of 10k off on s1 pro from diwali, which they advertise will end soon every month, i decided to go ahead with booking and claim the offer. So I went to the nearest experience center, requested for a longer test ride. They did not agree initially, but eventually allowed me after conveying my intention to spot purchase. That test ride was also awesome like previous two. I had seen people sitting in a round table in experience center which made me believe that there is offline purchase option also. But the person attended me informed that we can do it from home and there is no concept of offline purchase. For me it was a cold purchase experience, after test ride they asked me to order from app itself and told they will help if i find any difficulties. But asked me to share order id with them for faster delivery experience.

On Jan 29th i made full payment and uploaded required document. Within 1hr document verification was also done. Estimated delivery was showing as Feb 15th at that time. Then till Feb first week there was no updates.

Backout/Cancellation
Suddenly I noticed a tweet from Bhavish informing some announcement in Feb 9. I thought it could be for some upgrade announcement for ola s1, considering ather had their upgrade announcement few weeks back. I sent email to support team and to olaelectric Twitter handle, asking not to ship my scooter until announcement and if there are any upgrades, i wish to get delivery of latest model. I did not get any reply for that, but my delivery date in app updated to Feb 21st. Couple of days after around Feb6, i found they have better offer released with extra 2k off, 50% off on ola care+ and free battery warranty. Which would save around another 10k. I felt i made bad purchase and then started followup with support to initiate cancellation. There was no cancellation option by default in app, we had to request them for approval for getting cancellation button. I was informed that if scooter had not left factory(which was not at that time), request would be approved in 2 days. After some wait and follow-up in twitter, they approved my cancellation request and button showed in the ola app. I clicked it quickly and got message that refund would be processed in next 5 to 7 days. In 2 days i got refund of accessories credited to my bank. But no info on major part, scooter price, which kept showing as refund intiated in the app also informed Mr G the same.

Repurchase
On Feb 12 Mr G Jan informed me that there is this extended battery warranty offer (worth 6999₹) of we come to his experience center and place order. And offer was expiring that day. Though I did not receive refund for my first purchase, I decided to place another order. Mr G also assured me that ola will not cheat and he will try to escalate issue for quicker processing. I made another purchase that evening with around 10k less than initial one. He also informed me that waiting period will around 25 days as dispatch will be delayed because of some shortage of chargers. Coincidentally, app also showed me delivery date estimated on march 3. I thought extra 10 days wait was worth for 10k i was saving and found comfort in that fact.

Painful waiting
On Feb 13th late evening i got an email from ola that scooter has dispatched and a minute later got another email from acko with insurance document. I was really surprised to see this. Their factory is just 250km away from my place, so i thought delivery would be very quick, which was not the case in reality. Couple of days later got update that vehicle has reached in a center and waiting for registration. I got OTP from vaahan portal on same day (Feb 15) and got a call from ola to collect that code. Next day (Feb 16) I got another sms from vaahan with application number informing me that payment towards registration has been made. I was able to track the progress with that application number in vaahan portal since then. I found that they uploaded all required documents on Feb 17th noon and now registration was opening with RTO. I was wondering why no one came for collecting owner signature. On 21st evening, i got a call from ola asking me to reach out my RTO for signature and sharing photo. Shared me one agents number asking me to contact him for appointment time. Next day I reached there in the noon as informed by that agent, made signature, shared 3 photos. Did not see vehicle there and the agent informed me that ola people sent the vehicle to different RTO, around 30km away. He is waiting for them to bring it back to our RTO. He assured me registration should be completed by evening. By around 7 I got sms from vahan portal with my new registration number, and I was very excited that I went straight into mparivahan app and downloaded RC. Verified RC details in vaahan portal also. Then the wait for delivery call started. I had opted for taking delivery from ola experience center to save another 1000₹ they are charging for home delivery. My nearest experience center was around 20km away, which is not a big number in a metro city

Next day(Feb 23) got a call from ola asking to share FAME 2 OTP for subsidy purpose and then no calls received that day which I was sure i would get. I started wondering what are they doing with scooter even after registration. They had many days to do any inspection for so many days and why delaying now. Mr G was also not responding my queries like he did before. I read many articles that says most brands delivers vehicle next day after registration. Even some brands completes sale and delivery in 2 days. Here I was waiting 11 days, just 250km away from ola factory, thinking what could have been reason for delay. Any questions to Twitter handle, i know that it will be responses with predefined answer asking me to wait for a call from one of the brand champion.

Meanwhile after lots of follow-up(via twitter DM) for requesting first purchase refund(i was waiting for scooter refund still) and showing purchase proof, i got email from razor pay that refund has initiated by ola and on Feb 19th i got another mail with refund reference number (rrn), also informing me wait for another 5 to 7 working days and to check with bank further on. Man, getting refund from them is a real head ache. Quick checks in their Twitter handle also shows same issue with others. Some refunds pending for months also. Ather also not much better from what I have seen in their handle. Eventually it got credited to my source account on 26th Feb morning.

Coming back to scooter delivery, On 24Feb, thought of trying my luck with customer care number, surprisingly the executive was very supportive, listened to my complaint without jumping in to conclusions. I asked them about delay in keeping bike to an experience center just 2km from RTO (after physical inspection they could have delivered there). They informed me of some process to be initiated by backend team and will escalate this issue with higher authorities. Though i had no hope, i said okay and disconnected call. Within 5 mins i got a call from someone at ola, asking if i can collect vehicle on next day from a different service center. And he told vehicle is just loaded to the truck. Did not think to ask why they took it far away especially one experience center was there nearby RTO, i thought just one more day, let's wait. Meanwhile I asked same question to the brand champion who helped me with test drive, he told me deliveries from experience center happens mostly on Saturdays and Sundays. Wait continues...

The Delivery
I waited till Saturday (Feb 25) noon before trying to reach out ola electric Twitter DM, and told them I don't want to hear about "dedicated executive will call me", told me i am still waiting after registration for 3 days. By now i believe you could have guessed what reply i might have got. Pathetic.. really hopeless customer care. They know how to kill your excitement. even though i have paid for my bike, completed RTO work, i am not entitled to know what is happening to my scooter. Are they giving it for some test ride? Are they repairing any damages they might have made during transport or any other quality issues. May be this is something everyone should expect and don't keep high hope.

But I was restless and that evening (Feb 25th) thought of contacting Mr G to see if i can get any updates. Luckily he gave me contact number of a sales person from the experience center. I contacted that person and he confirmed vehicle is present there. Also informed me that I can come for pickup that evening itself. So I went there with my wife on bus, and as soon as I sighted the shop I saw our red beauty smiling at us. We went inside and proceeded with delivery process. It was nothing to mention worthy. Very cold delivery experience, just made us sign some documents, gave us 2 min demo, I took some photos and he asked us that we can leave with bike. He informed me ola electric app will take 2 days to activate. I found that vehicle was driven only 2km so far, which i believe is test ride from factory. battery charge showed 80km. Vehicle showed to have manufacturing date 8th Feb 2023, found it had that new type of suspension. Foot mat was not fixed properly, lots of dusts were there, both fixed by that person from experience center. My wife took first half (10km) of driving to home and I took rest of the ride. Thus our purchase and delivery process concluded in 14 days.

Picture time
Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-screenshot_20230307104752.png

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-screenshot_20230307104938.png

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-screenshot_20230307105122.png

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-screenshot_20230307105224.png

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-screenshot_20230307105251.png
tech_rider is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 13:35   #882
BHPian

Post delivery experience

This is continuation to my previous post on purchase and delivery. I'll now quickly summarize my post delivery experience.

Soon after we left showroom we were able to hear a wierd humming sound from left backside of the scooter when riding at 40-50km speed. Felt like riding in MRTS train in chennai, if you have travelled you will know what i meant. But we had to reach back to home for some urgent business and we could not ride back Showroom. It was really irritating sound that we did not notice during our 3 test rides. I decided to ride back next day to test the range and show them the issue. Next day morning i charged the scooter to full. Went to experience center on 26th(Sunday) only to see that service people are not available. But sales person there did test ride on my scooter and confirmed the noise is normal and should resolve on its own. I came back home and raised a ticket on this issue. Till this day ola electric app was showing vehicle is not yet delivered and I was not able to use it for scooter access. When i raised ticket, i mentioned that problem also. Next day I got a call from ola customer care to discuss about the issues. They also mentioned issue is normal for new scooters because of brand new belt and within 1000km issue should go away. Assured me that if issue persists even after 1000km they will send someone to look at it. For ola electric app usage they did some changes that evening(27th monday) and got sms, email informing scooter was delivered. Ola electric app showed scooter details after that.

That day I tried to add a profile for my wife. She got one sms for verification that was completed immediately. But profile was showing some access token generation for many hours even till next day. I raised another ticket and they fixed it on Mar 1. Someone called me and informed me that scooter settings was in some demo mode and because of that token generation did not work initiatially. Informed me issues was fixed.For profile issue they did some changes later and new password got generated in my mobile app. One sms was received on my wife's number asking her to get access token from me. Once she put her own password, i was no longer able to see access token in my app.

So far my experience on scooter is nice apart from that irritating noise. My wife had complaint on height of scooter especially on taking reverse on a downward slope. I have driven for about 260km in first 7 days, longest was 80km one day, mostly only eco and normal mode. Sometimes on sports mode too. Charge dropped from 100 to 25 by end of that ride. Which makes me believe that I would be getting range of about 110km on normal mode on full charge. I am impressed with pulling power in sports mode which is little bit scary on small roads. I have not used hyper mode much as sports mode was more than enough. Eco mode really tests patience as my comfortable driving speed is 50-60kmph. Normal mode seems fine, but initial pulling is a lack luster. Reverse mode was difficult initially, but somewhat comfortable now. That loud reverse alarm is a attention grabber, that i am not much comfortable. I believe there is some settings to reduce that volume. Yet to explore. I have not noticed much panel gaps. Suspension on uneven roads better than some other ICE scooters i drove, but still my bike seemed better than this. Cruise control felt like scooter gets accelerated a bit before locking on a speed. If i know where to stop , i use reverse throttling which is as good as slow breaking. Hill assist has not yet made into the scooter. CEAT tyres seems to be a special tyre with some EV branding in it with capable of riding at max speed 150kmph. Breaking experience was good and boosts confidence to drive at higher speed.

I'm looking forward to make more happy motoring going forward.

Some closeup shots
Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-pxl_20230226_022713529.jpg

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-pxl_20230226_022818574.jpg

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-pxl_20230226_022745238.jpg

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-pxl_20230227_024235036.jpg
tech_rider is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 19:27   #883
Senior - BHPian

Found this interesting "Ola scooter torture test" video today! I am amazed!

Old 14th March 2023, 16:07   #884
Senior - BHPian

Ola has upgraded the front fork design to “enhance durability and strength”. They are giving an ‘option’ to the customers to upgrade to the new front fork.

This upgrade will be free of cost and the appointment window will open starting 22nd March.

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-20230314_160635.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 16:07   #885
BHPian

Finally !

Being familiar with Ola's notorious delivery timelines , not sure how soon this will be done for all affected scooters.

Source : Ola Electric Twitter

Name:  OLA.PNG
Views: 1112
Size:  143.6 KB

Last edited by AjinkyaP : 14th March 2023 at 16:13.
AjinkyaP is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks