Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2023, 09:13   #121
BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson X440 launched in India at Rs 2.29 lakh

Agreed, there should only be two variants. But being a collaborative effort,I see possibility of the 440 engine in Hero motorcycles as well. HD does it in China already. Like Bajaj-ktm engine sharing here. The Triumph 400 also has Bajaj/KTM influences all said and done. The T400 reminds me of the first gen round headlight Pulsar 150 which was proportionately designed as well.

Last edited by Senotrius : 4th July 2023 at 09:15.
Old 4th July 2023, 09:30   #122
BHPian

Fantastic pricing by Harley here! The spoke wheel 440x Denim is within 5k of the mighty Classic 350 (Chrome) with Spoke Wheel and Dual Channel ABS.

The Harley is also lighter, has a more modern and rigid Trellis frame, is more powerful, has more torque and also makes it in the low end of the rev range like the RE 350s do.

Harley is aiming for the meaty end of the 300-500cc segment with this pricing and specs. If it all comes together like it should, we have a winner on our hands here.

Lets wait for the ride reports before we can be sure of that but the way it looks now, RE finally has a serious competitor on hand. Hope they can get their 450s out fast enough to contain the oncoming onslaught on their bread and butter Classic 350.
Old 4th July 2023, 10:26   #123
BHPian

The pricing is on point. It should lure folks who like RE’s long stroke singles. The engine is old school thumper that should provide a strong bottom end and mid range. Cruising at 100-110 kmph should be rather stress free. Looking at the engine specs it mimics the RE 500 single.

Classic 500 - 27 BHP, 41 NM
X440 - 27 BHP, 38 NM

Pricing wise it’s not too far from the Classic 350/H’ness. Its closest rival would be the SRC 500.

My biggest gripe is the looks. It doesn’t look like a Harley, period! The colour choices are also not great. That red looks so gawdy and the Matt grey is too understated. The fit and finish also doesn’t look great. Uneven panel gaps can be seen. The frame is exposed near the tank which again doesn’t look good.

Yes they have been able to price it well but it doesn’t look premium which it should have to complement the HD badge.

It might be a practical buy but it definitely doesn’t pull my heart strings!

Last edited by Waspune : 4th July 2023 at 10:29.
Waspune is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 10:33   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
It might be a practical buy but it definitely doesn’t pull my heart strings!
My thoughts exactly.

The pricing is arguably on point, and Hero does know how to make decent reliable vehicles. But it's so uninteresting that buying one of these would feel like buying a new washing machine.
marcussantiago is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 10:49   #125
Senior - BHPian

Its not a Harley if its not a cruiser motorcycle.

I am not that into motorcycle riding and I am not a future customer either. But if I were still in college, I’d never buy this just for the sake of it being a “Harley”.

Royal Enfield is still a better choice than this for me.

Waiting to see these on roads for a second opinion.
Old 4th July 2023, 10:54   #126
BHPian

Looks like a machine ! Doesnt have free flowing lines and has too much metal everywhere. The rear mud guard from the sides is totally out of sync from the side. With a 440cc engine, I think they have messed the design.
The same bike with a cruiser kind of design with lower seat would have looked good.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 11:03   #127
BHPian

Connectivity features on this one are great, I am disappointed that Triumph does not give navigation in the new singles.
In this day and age, younger generation is too depedant on navigation and this is an absolute must have.
Old 4th July 2023, 11:07   #128
BHPian

The design looks too incoherent to me. Retro designs stood the test of time as they were clean and simple. Whenever I see a HD Fat Boy I feel like drawing it as it screens simplicity in design. This on the other hand has too many elements that aren't gelling well to my eyes. The rear fender seems to be bulkier than the petrol tank, the front fender doesn't seem to belong to the rest of the bike, the frame/subframe/exposed wires all seem to belong to different schools of designs and that gap between the petrol tank and the handlebar tells me that the designs were frozen independently! And I can go on and on!
Sanjunair5 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 11:23   #129
Senior - BHPian

Honda clutch action is smooth. This, I have to see.
On the gray, the stickering is hideous. Take that away and it's a stud
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDifferent? View Post
Reasonably prized I would say considering that Honda H'ness CB350 and CB350RS are about 2.1 lacs ex-showroom.
Old 4th July 2023, 11:27   #130
BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson X440 bookings open in India ahead of July 3 launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
Starting price of Rs.229000 seems to be fantastic.

Hearing the exhaust note, this seems to a low revving thumper similar with RE engines. RE500 also has similar power/torque numbers. So 27bhp and 38Nm seems plausible, more so looking at the price.
Yes, it is indeed a long stroke oil cooled motor, power and torque are 27/38 which is comparable to C500 which had 27/41 IIRC.Weight is slightly lower, exact same as the Meteor 350. Should be like a Super Bullet to ride. Should sell well too, with these killer prices.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th July 2023 at 06:15. Reason: Factual error
windiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 11:42   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Seat height 805mm
Fuel tank 13.5 L
Ground clearance 170mm
Weight as shipped 181 Kg
Weight in running order 190.5 kg

Full specs https://www.harley-davidson.com/in/e...les/x-440.html
That weight figure is a bummer. I would have hoped for a bike with around 170-175kg kerb weight. This is one Royal Enfield spec they should have not tried to emulate.

Seat height is not too bad for Indians, but what is its length? 27bhp with 38 Nm torque makes it a good two-up machine for out-of-town trips on Indian roads if there is enough space on the seat to allow some air circulation between the rider and pillion.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 12:19   #132
BHPian

I have booked a CB350RS and awaiting delivery this month. Never considered this Harley as I have my doubts regarding the quality on offer both in terms of the product as well as the after sales service.
Engine performance numbers looks fantastic on paper and should be good on road too. But somehow the design looks incoherent and doesn't look exciting to me.
The triumph speed 400 definitely got my attention, although the price might be out of my budget. Will wait and see.
Old 4th July 2023, 12:22   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
That weight figure is a bummer. I would have hoped for a bike with around 170-175kg kerb weight.
And that is why I await the Triumphs! Speed 400 is stated to be a 170 kilos with fuel, but I doubt that it will stay 170 in the Indian avatar. Firstly, a saree guard has to be added, then it may have heavier MRF rubber, and as the Triumph MD was saying somewhere, the Indian version will have more substantial mud guards in order to deal with the monsoons etc.
windiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 12:22   #134
BHPian

Personally, it pains to see a Harley Badge on this bike. Looks like they learned the wrong lesson from their failure in India.
The 750s especially the Street Rod turn heads even today. But this one
manojas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 12:39   #135
BHPian

Not impressed by the looks.
However, these things are best seen in flesh to get the correct perspective.

Did I read forward set footpegs? And a straight handlebar? Wonder what the rider triangle will be like and the ride comfort!

If they get the seating position and manouveribility right, they may crack the market. I see this going more against the RE Hunter than the 350 Classic. The Hunter seems to have build a credo and fan following of its own parallel to the 350 Classic, leaving the Ronin in its wake.

I understand that the Honda Highness is also in this bracket. But as a brand, I think Harley would be more interested in taking on RE than Honda. Thus, thinking soley in terms of the RE 350s at this point.

Eagerly awaiting the test rides.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks