Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2024, 15:18   #1726
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Price increase warning:

It costs 4.5k INR for lower engine guard, including labour charges (1700INR). Just like the visor costs 2k INR. For this price there are aftermarket options rather than the tiny lower guard and visor. Slowly they have started old habits. Idk how long Bajaj will maintain the ' costs lower than an RE to maintain ' gig. Well, unless RE increases their charges/prices. Regular cleaning is 600INR. Chain clean is 300.
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 16:23   #1727
Senior - BHPian

I filled air in my 400 last week. Ever since, I am finding the front section of the bike heavy especially while taking turns. Its like there's less air but that is not the case. What should I be looking at?
Old 11th April 2024, 16:47   #1728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I filled air in my 400 last week. Ever since, I am finding the front section of the bike heavy especially while taking turns. Its like there's less air but that is not the case. What should I be looking at?
If there was no such issue prior to this air fill, then get it double checked / re-filled at a well known petrol station which has the digital indicator for tyre pressure. Do keep an eye on it while the person fills air.

Other than the above, it might be a co-incidence that something went wrong in the same time window as you filled air.

Check if any cables are obstructing the free movement of the handlebar.

With the help of someone, tilt the bike on sidestand such that the front tyre is off the floor and check the handlebar movement to see if it is freely and smoothly moving without any jitter. Cone-set bearing issues are usually identified like this.

Don't know what else it can be.
Ratan Prabhu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 19:30   #1729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Price increase warning:

It costs 4.5k INR for lower engine guard, including labour charges (1700INR). Just like the visor costs 2k INR. For this price there are aftermarket options rather than the tiny lower guard and visor. Slowly they have started old habits. Idk how long Bajaj will maintain the ' costs lower than an RE to maintain ' gig. Well, unless RE increases their charges/prices. Regular cleaning is 600INR. Chain clean is 300.
I agree that the prices on the labour side are increasing and that is not nice. However, I would like to still point out that the official accessories are still priced well compared to 3rd party options and other brands, especially considering the superior design and quality of the official parts.

Third party visors for the Triumphs also cost approx Rs. 2000 (carbon racing, legundary, visorbros etc). I have the official visor and it is mostly aesthetic (a little wind blast reduction below the chest) but the quality and design is better imo.

Regarding comparison with RE, the accessories they offer have higher prices in many cases, especially for newer models. Look at the lower enging guard for the new Himmy, for example. It costs 4750 PLUS LABOUR (incl or excl GST?). Hell, even accessories for the Hunter are similar, while the bike itself has a much lower pricetag. Also, for reference, even the official visors for the Honda CB350 series cost 2.6k (incl or excl GST?).

Name:  1.png
Views: 542
Size:  60.4 KB Name:  2.png
Views: 502
Size:  25.0 KB

All this to say that the price hikes are not brand specific. It seems like companies have understood they can extract at least another 20-30k from customers by offering these options. By the number of Speed 400s and Scrambler 400x's I have seen that have been absolutely loaded to the brim with all kinds of add-ons, I am not surprised that companies are milking it.

I have frequently noticed people on forums/groups being paranoid and buying radiator grills, sump guards, engine bars, frame sliders etc even though the stock parts are perfectly alright for the average city commuter/weekend rider. The same folks influence others to go out and armour up their bikes too. After all, doesnt take much to convince an owner to protect their beautiful, new machine.

Lastly, getting a wash and chain maintenance done at ASC will definitely be more expensive. The per hour labour cost is much higher than a local garage and they also use more expensive fluids. I suggest doing it yourself or going to a local place (who charge ~100) for both these.
lazyrev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 19:47   #1730
BHPian

True. What you said is right; they are milking customers. But the Speed 400 lower guard is just too tiny for protection at a total cost of 4.5k; however much engineering has gone into it. I got my official visor when it was 700-800INR. That's fine. But at 2K it's just not worth it now, go for the taller carbon racing one. The Himalayan engine guard (it's an upper and lower one) atleast has more coverage and length outwards. Plenty of aftermarket choices for that bike too. And I have seen the engine lower case cracked after an accident on the S400. I doubt it'll be protected. The lower engine guard cost isn't justified anymore. Maybe for aesthetic purpose we can install it. Hoping other companies pick up this gap in protection accessories.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd April 2024 at 22:07.
Old 12th April 2024, 00:03   #1731
Senior - BHPian

The Himalayan 450 Rally Engine Guard cost me Rs 10,000. Smartly they launched it after 30 days so I couldn't avail the 10% discount immediately after buying the bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrev View Post
Regarding comparison with RE, the accessories they offer have higher prices in many cases, especially for newer models. Look at the lower engine guard for the new Himmy, for example. It costs 4750 PLUS LABOUR (incl or excl GST?).
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 15:06   #1732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
If there was no such issue prior to this air fill, then get it double checked / re-filled at a well known petrol station which has the digital indicator for tyre pressure. Do keep an eye on it while the person fills air.

Other than the above, it might be a co-incidence that something went wrong in the same time window as you filled air.

Check if any cables are obstructing the free movement of the handlebar.

With the help of someone, tilt the bike on sidestand such that the front tyre is off the floor and check the handlebar movement to see if it is freely and smoothly moving without any jitter. Cone-set bearing issues are usually identified like this.

Don't know what else it can be.
Thank you. Will try this over the weekend. I have a paddock stand, so will ask the kiddo to sit behind and see if the front gets lifted. if not, will try the method as recommended by you.
Old 22nd April 2024, 21:29   #1733

Hey guys,

I own a Speed 400 2023 model. I have ridden around 4k kilometers since last December. Recently I rode in excess of 140 since then the exhaust sound changed slightly (missing the grunt). One thing to note is that a week and a half before that ride I switched to normal petrol from XP95 due to non availability of XP95 in my locality and, as expected the drop in instant power and slightly higher vibration above 6k RPM was felt, which was fine with me since the mileage was same around 34 KMPL I maintained normal petrol.

After 2 weeks I took my bike to the service center and explained the issue. They told me adjusting the chain and rear wheel would solve the issue along with water wash, which includes cleaning the front sprocket and lubing the chain. It somewhat solved the issue but after 10 days I am still not getting the exhaust grunt and the sound I used to get while using XP95 petrol. This is my first bike. I have never owned a new bike and neither did my dad so I am somewhat new to this. Asking for your opinion whether this is normal wear and tear or should it be a concern.

Points to note:

1) The sound didn't change immediately after I changed the petrol it took me atleast a week and I am pretty sure when I filled up the tank the XP95 is close to 2 liter which should have been used the same day since I rode a lot that day.

2) The sound change is non existent at idle but when I start to ride it is noticeable.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd April 2024 at 22:06. Reason: Clean up edits (caps, language, typos).
Flabbergaster is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 23rd April 2024, 16:26   #1734
Distinguished - BHPian

Bajaj Auto has hiked the prices of the Triumph Scrambler 400 X and Speed 400, nine and seven months respectively, post their launch. The hike is by a mere Rs 1,500=00 and this amount could send automakers search the dictionaries to understand the exact meaning of the word "hike". Bajaj Auto had said that a price hike could come after the first 10,000 bookings. The aggressive introductory pricing of these bikes, especially the Speed 400 has shaken the competition.

Quote:
Nine months after the Triumph Speed 400 was launched, it has now received its first price hike. The same goes for its off-road capable sibling, the Scrambler 400 X. Prices for the Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 X currently stand at Rs 2,34,497 and Rs 2,64,496, respectively.
Link:-
https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...st-time-431345

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd April 2024 at 16:28.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 10:06   #1735

Hi,
Is anyone getting a lot of variation from the fuel economy displayed and actual tank to tank values?
My display shows 30 on highway rides and 24 during city commutes
But actual tank to tank measurements are close to 25 and 20 respectively.
adarsh14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 10:42   #1736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh14 View Post
Hi,
Is anyone getting a lot of variation from the fuel economy displayed and actual tank to tank values?
Sounds about right for the city values, atleast in bangalore it is the same scenario for me, console shows 25 and i get somewhere like 20-22 when measuring T2T. But the highway mileage depends on what speeds you are doing. For me it varies between 28 all the way to 33 with sedate riding.
aston_martyr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 12:24   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh14 View Post
Hi,
I get 28kmpl in mixed use conditions. Shows 31 in the display. I use only XP95 but that should not be a deciding factor for mileage. My Wagon R, for some reason, gets higher mileage on regular petrol (when someone else fills it up without telling me) compared to XP 95.
Old 25th April 2024, 16:21   #1738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphant View Post
Sharing the engine oil details which Triumph is using for their Speed 400s in case, any one is interested to know.
Is this a fully Synthetic oil?
Old 29th April 2024, 22:10   #1739
BHPian

I just picked up delivery of my Speed 400 on Friday (and then promptly fell sick, some viral), yet to start proper riding on it but one thing I noticed when I went to get my plates fixed today, the console is way too bright for night conditions.

Is there any workaround for this? I hate my night vision being blindsided by bright consoles (car or bike).
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 03:45   #1740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
I just picked up delivery of my Speed 400 on Friday (and then promptly fell sick, some viral), yet to start proper riding on it but one thing I noticed when I went to get my plates fixed today, the console is way too bright for night conditions.

Is there any workaround for this? I hate my night vision being blindsided by bright consoles (car or bike).
If you turn on your headlight the console brightness reduces automatically. There's only two levels of brightness that's controlled by whether you have your headlight on or the DRL.
adarsh14 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks