Team-BHP > Motorbikes


Reply
  Search this Thread
1,055,598 views
Old 24th February 2024, 16:14   #1681
BHPian
 
RiderS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Chennai
Posts: 29
Thanked: 30 Times
Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Had taken a rental 400x last week. 300+ kms. Solid product I would say. Strong contender now for an upgrade.

Any idea what is the waiting period?
Once you have done the full payment, its 7 working days here in Chennai.
RiderS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 12:41   #1682
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Pune
Posts: 204
Thanked: 368 Times
Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

So Shumi today said in the Hero Mavrick 440 MotorInc First episode that people are saying the Speed 400 is slowly becoming boring for some of its long-term owners. BHPians on this thread who have ridden it all this time, is it getting boring?
AulusGabinius is offline  
Old 25th February 2024, 12:51   #1683
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Kochi
Posts: 405
Thanked: 498 Times
Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Based on the current February 2024 mapping, it is for me. It has become slower revving with the recent update. I max out (engine feel/comfort zone) at 80kmph now mostly. Bike can maintain 120 plus but we need to wring the accelerator for this now (again). They have dulled down the throttle response. Wasn't the case with Jan 2024 ECU map; was fun to ride. Used to frequently hit 110-120 on the highway on that map just cause it felt quicker to reach those speeds.

Last edited by Senotrius : 25th February 2024 at 13:11.
Senotrius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 18:35   #1684
BHPian
 
kedar3223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Maharashtra
Posts: 162
Thanked: 122 Times
Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Just to check out the accuracy of speedo console after watching a YouTube video, i took a test ride and tried to check the rough gps speed with Google maps. Was surprised to see that the bike had almost 15kmph of speedo error till 100 and that only grew to approx 20 as I pushed it to 120 on speedo max. Just to verify, I tried the same with other yamaha and ktm bikes and the same was within 8-10kmph error.

I have a feeling in a bid to make the bike super friendly and tractable in the city, they could only manage 250-300cc levels of top end(although it reaches there faster courtesy it's punchier mid). And the speedo has been calibrated to show optimistic speeds for psychological factors. This also substantiates the opinion of the motorinc folks wherein they say that the bike can cruise comfortably only upto 105 110. This would translate to 120-125 speedo readout for us regular folks.

Anyone with better gps device can test and share the result?
kedar3223 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 18:59   #1685
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Location: Goa
Posts: 3
Thanked: 2 Times
Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post
So Shumi today said in the Hero Mavrick 440 MotorInc First episode that people are saying the Speed 400 is slowly becoming boring for some of its long-term owners. BHPians on this thread who have ridden it all this time, is it getting boring?
Not one bit! I'm enjoying riding every minute of it.
mack_the_knife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 00:02   #1686
BHPian
 
lazyrev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Pune
Posts: 136
Thanked: 501 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post
So Shumi today said in the Hero Mavrick 440 MotorInc First episode that people are saying the Speed 400 is slowly becoming boring for some of its long-term owners. BHPians on this thread who have ridden it all this time, is it getting boring?
For reference, I got my bike in the first week of September, which means I probably have one of the first few lots of bikes. I have done close to 4000kms and I can still grin ear to ear when I wring the throttle and zoom past the rest of the world. What an engine, what brakes, and oh my god the suspension. Still stands out at every traffic signal. There is nothing boring about this bike.

Have I gotten more used to the power? Yes, of course. But all it takes is a quick ride on my old apache 160 or any average car and I miss the hell out of my speed 400. Getting used to the performance and getting bored of a bike is a huge difference. Even people with 1000cc superbikes get used to their bikes but doesnt mean they are bored and need an "upgrade" to the esteemed journo's beloved Duke 390.

Shumi just doesnt seem to be getting over this bike. He brings it up every single time there is something even around the price or performance segment and misses no chance to take pot-shots for no reason, similar to what he does with the Honda CB350 series. He needs to get over it, to be honest.



Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
Just to check out the accuracy of speedo console after watching a YouTube video, i took a test ride and tried to check the rough gps speed with Google maps.
Anyone with better gps device can test and share the result?
To get certified, the manufacturer has to maintain an accuracy within 5-10% as far as I know. Anything beyond that will probably get flagged before the bike is allowed to be sold. I am not defending this but even the EU has this regulation.

The polling rate (frequency of signal being received) of the GPS module needs to be very high for accurate speed calculation. You need dedicated GPS hardware to achieve high levels of accuracy (like the vbox used for verifying records).

Any mobile phone based app just isnt capable of giving very accurate instantaneous speed readings. That is why you will even notice a slight delay in the speed reflecting in these apps. Some apps seem to use some sort of interpolation or extrapolation to make it look instantaneous.

A mobile phone usually polls GPS at 1Hz (once per second) while the vbox polls at up to 100 Hz (up to 100 times a second). You can imagine how much of a difference that can make when you are at high speeds (120 kmph = 33 m/s). Sure, you can still get a decent idea of average speed using the mobile's GPS.

The funniest one I have seen is people using those speed trap cameras with LED displays, on some expressways and saying that that is more accurate than the speedo inside the car . Ok buddy.

Additional info: Chart from EU regulations

Forgot to add the chart I mentioned in the last line. Attached now:

Measured ve actual speed as per EU regulations
Triumph Speed 400 Review-speedometervsactualspeedaccordingtoeuregulationsv0zbs0oiokq7pb1.png

Last edited by Axe77 : 2nd March 2024 at 21:10. Reason: Merging as requested.
lazyrev is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 10:48   #1687
BHPian
 
kedar3223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Maharashtra
Posts: 162
Thanked: 122 Times
Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrev View Post
To get certified, the manufacturer has to maintain an accuracy within 5-10% as far as I know. Anything beyond that will probably get flagged before the bike is allowed to be sold. I am not defending this but even the EU has this regulation.

The polling rate (frequency of signal being received) of the GPS module needs to be very high for accurate speed calculation. You need dedicated GPS hardware to achieve high levels of accuracy (like the vbox used for verifying records).

Any mobile phone based app just isnt capable of giving very accurate instantaneous speed readings. That is why you will even notice a slight delay in the speed reflecting in these apps. Some apps seem to use some sort of interpolation or extrapolation to make it look instantaneous.

A mobile phone usually polls GPS at 1Hz (once per second) while the vbox polls at up to 100 Hz (up to 100 times a second). You can imagine how much of a difference that can make when you are at high speeds (120 kmph = 33 m/s). Sure, you can still get a decent idea of average speed using the mobile's GPS.
Interesting read. Thank you. Would be nice if we get a vbox comparo for all the 250-400cc bikes with regards to the actual speed timings. Strange then that ktms have such an accurate speedo readings.
kedar3223 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 19:02   #1688
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 804
Thanked: 3,398 Times
Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
I have faced no issues. Although would have liked the handlebar a bit closer like that in 400x. Also lights could have been more powerful.
Before first service and update, range displayed used to be a bit erratic. OK now.
Is the handlebar spacing a challenge? Does it cause discomfort esp in city traffic?
Stribog is offline  
Old 3rd March 2024, 19:55   #1689
BHPian
 
davelok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 202
Thanked: 402 Times
Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Is the handlebar spacing a challenge? Does it cause discomfort esp in city traffic?
It depends on your reach. If you find yourself leaning forward uncomfortably, you can install handlebar risers. You might also need to replace the clutch cable and front brake hose with longer ones meant for the Scrambler 400X if you do this.
davelok is offline  
Old 3rd March 2024, 21:58   #1690
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Haridwar
Posts: 432
Thanked: 461 Times
Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Is the handlebar spacing a challenge? Does it cause discomfort esp in city traffic?
Not a challenge at all. It is comfortable but for long highway rides, slightly raised bar would allow maintaining more relaxed posture.
ajay0612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 08:17   #1691
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Kochi
Posts: 405
Thanked: 498 Times
Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Not a challenge at all. It is comfortable but for long highway rides, slightly raised bar would allow maintaining more relaxed posture.
Ask the ASC if they're willing to install the 400X handlebar, clutch and brake cables. Try the handlebar while sitting on 400X. Because if it doesn't work out, it depends on ASC attitude wrt charges+ consumables if any. They charged something like 150INR (only) as labour charge while installing carbon racing risers+ cable for me. Keep the old cables and handlebar with yourself as backup. The 400X handlebar is cheaper than most risers.

Last edited by Axe77 : 4th March 2024 at 08:29. Reason: Language edit. Spacing edit.
Senotrius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 11:41   #1692
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 3,626
Thanked: 11,278 Times
Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Pune dealership is offering a limited edition Speed 400X. Not sure if every dealership is doing this. I watched this episode on YouTube yesterday and the bike looked damn cool. The extra charge is about 15K, but looked splendid in GOLD, with minimal and unique stickering.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 11:49   #1693
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 65
Thanked: 33 Times
Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Pune dealership is offering a limited edition Speed 400X. Not sure if every dealership is doing this. I watched this episode on YouTube yesterday and the bike looked damn cool. The extra charge is about 15K, but looked splendid in GOLD, with minimal and unique stickering.
Tried searching on youtube, but couldn't find it. Could you post the link here please?
spectre13 is offline  
Old 4th March 2024, 12:01   #1694
BHPian
 
prasathlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 154
Thanked: 579 Times
Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre13 View Post
Tried searching on Youtube, but couldn't find it. Could you post the link here please?
I guess this is the video. I agree, the colour looks so good on the bike. I wish I had this option while buying the bike.

prasathlr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 12:05   #1695
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 3,626
Thanked: 11,278 Times
Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Have half the mind to collect this bike from pune
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre13 View Post
Tried searching on Youtube, but couldn't find it. Could you post the link here please?
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks