Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2023, 10:35   #1531
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post
So about this, I've had a few days to get in touch with my contact at Bajaj about this. The swingarm in question, according to the team at customer support, was analyzed by the service center for what exactly happened to it. Turns out, the black ice was in patches, and the road was rough enough and rider was moving fast enough that when he skidded, the swingarm took the load because of his skid angle and road undulations and literally wore down like a racing bike foot peg, hit a bump in the road, and shattered.
Yet, surprisingly, nothing else looks damaged in the photograph.

And magically, the footpeg and even rubber are pristine.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 11:32   #1532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphant View Post
Hi,
Does anyone received this message and enquired about it?
We have filled a similar looking Google form over here in Pune. Most people had not received their physical RC cards even after almost 4 months because there was an RTO backlog. I myself have had the bike from 9th September but no physical RC.

After I filled the form, within 2-3 days, I got an update from the RTO that the RC has been dispatched so I guess they have established some sort of new process. I am yet to receive the card and the India post tracking isnt showing up properly but it is progress.

At least Triumph Pune is trying from their side because this RC issue has been a joke in Pune for the past 2 years now (apparently the vendor who prints the cards changed or ran away or something).
Old 26th December 2023, 11:38   #1533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Hi, can you please share which handlebar risers? Any photos, your experience with these?
Carbon Racing pullback risers. Tough to install due to a lack of play in the clutch cable and front brake hose. I would advise you to first source the longer cable and hose for the Scrambler 400X and then install the risers.

Photos are available on the Carbon Racing website.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 11:43   #1534
Team-BHP Support

Speaking of RC card, I received my GLC RC card last week itself (I got that car about a week after the Scrambler). Still no sign of the Scrambler RC card. Both are Mumbai MH 01 RTO. Weird!
Old 26th December 2023, 12:01   #1535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Both these bikes are to be used on-road and used at much lower speeds for broken patches.
I agree. Thrill seekers would however rent and abuse the bike. It doesn't belong to them, after all.

The Speed 400 is only a road bike with decent ground clearance. It can be used on unpaved roads, but the stock tyres tell you how careful you need to be with it.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 12:16   #1536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Speaking of RC card, I received my GLC RC card last week itself (I got that car about a week after the Scrambler). Still no sign of the Scrambler RC card. Both are Mumbai MH 01 RTO. Weird!
I received my RC card last week. The SA at Keerthi requested for photos of front + back number plates + chassis number sticker. These photos were apparently uploaded on the Vaahan portal by them, post which the RC card was dispatched.
I'd suggest checking with the showroom guys once.

Last edited by pratik_terni : 26th December 2023 at 12:23.
pratik_terni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 12:26   #1537

Sharing the engine oil details which Triumph is using for their Speed 400s in case, any one is interested to know.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Speed 400 Review-20231102_162833.jpg  

Triumph Speed 400 Review-20231102_162841.jpg  

Last edited by triumphant : 26th December 2023 at 12:40.
triumphant is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 12:39   #1538

@pratik_terni - Were you able to check whether HSRP number is updated against your vehicle's registration number?
Old 26th December 2023, 13:43   #1539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Not sure what Triumph is planning to do in India. I have been trying to get a test drive of the Speed 400 and Scrambler 400x for more than a week from the Khivraj Triumph Electronic City branch.
I struggle to understand why you've undergone such an experience. Even when I've dropped down to get my Speed 400 looked at, I've seen a string of folks walking in and testing the twins without as much as a murmur.

Matter of fact, it was the experience at the Triumph EC branch that allowed me to take delivery of the vehicle in Chennai without a PDI. Not that it was ideal.

I suggest you walk in carrying a helmet, and dressed in jeans and boots, and there's no way how you're not going to land that testride.

There's an young man wearing spectacles. I wish I remember his name. He helped me with my purchase from the Chennai branch, and has now relocated to the EC branch. Talk to the guy, and check out the bike.

As Shyam said, don't allow a poor showroom experience prevent you from owning one of the nicest bikes out there in the market.
Raskolnikov.R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 15:00   #1540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik_terni View Post
I received my RC card last week. The SA at Keerthi requested for photos of front + back number plates + chassis number sticker. These photos were apparently uploaded on the Vaahan portal by them, post which the RC card was dispatched.
I'd suggest checking with the showroom guys once.
When did you take delivery of your vehicle? I was told during delivery last week that it would take 3 months for the RC to arrive. This is from Keerthi Triumph as well.
Old 26th December 2023, 17:17   #1541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yet, surprisingly, nothing else looks damaged in the photograph.

And magically, the footpeg and even rubber are pristine.

Cheers, Doc
Exactly. One would think that shiny plate would be scratched up and a footpeg snapped, but it's all still there. Seems to me it's a faulty casting that got through rather than an actual mechanical design thing.
AulusGabinius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 17:53   #1542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post
Exactly. One would think that shiny plate would be scratched up and a footpeg snapped, but it's all still there. Seems to me it's a faulty casting that got through rather than an actual mechanical design thing.
Or poor design. Or poor/insufficient metallurgy.

Hope its the former.

EVERY serious rider I am discussing this with in my circle is rolling his eyes at the reasoning given.

And suddenly, this rental guy, who some bhpians follow regularly, has magically gone silent.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 26th December 2023 at 18:05.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 18:36   #1543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Or poor design. Or poor/insufficient metallurgy.
I don't know that I would put it to either of those two with any certainty. Poor design would have been caught early, and certainly on the Speed someone would have had issues before this if it really is that bad, because I have to assume they did in fact test it off road as well they could and it passed without that flaw happening. Metallurgy would definitely lead to even wider problems, because aluminium parts of motorcycles use specific alloys, and significant quality lapses have to happen for something like this to occur.
AulusGabinius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 19:30   #1544
Senior - BHPian

So let us hope, for the sake of all our friends on Speed and Scrambler 400s, that all is well, and Bajaj will do the right thing.

I will not post more on this subject here till something new yet unknown comes to light.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 22:57   #1545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Hey @JithinR, my advice would be to not let the showroom experience rob you off a good product.
I do totally empathize about the situation.

Khivraj Triumph, Mahadevpura, has vehicles available for test ride. I'd urge you to ride them and decide. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
As a Speed 400 owner I can tell you test drives are easily available in Chennai and i bought it from Jai Autos and they have been very professional all along... Test drive the vehicle one and then make your decision.
Thanks guys. I was able to at least get the test ride of the Speed 400. I was in a for a surprise when earlier in the week I sat on both of the display bikes and realized that I am able to almost put both of my feet down even with my 5f 7in height. So, I actually wanted to test ride both the Speed and the Scrambler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov.R View Post
I struggle to understand why you've undergone such an experience. Even when I've dropped down to get my Speed 400 looked at, I've seen a string of folks walking in and testing the twins without as much as a murmur......
I suggest you walk in carrying a helmet, and dressed in jeans and boots, and there's no way how you're not going to land that testride...
As Shyam said, don't allow a poor showroom experience prevent you from owning one of the nicest bikes out there in the market.
Not sure sir. On my end, I went in on my bike both times (didn't take my car). Had a MT full face d-ring helmet and full gauntlet leather gloves on with Kevlar lined riding jeans (black in color though).

Usually, I have my riding boots on (but my Orazo ones literally disintegrated from non-use since I came back to Bengaluru after 2 years and had left them in the shoe rack). This would be the minimum set that I wear even to the local supermarket before I got tired of putting all the gear on and started walking to it instead.

I went by the same route later in the day and saw a guy doing a test ride on a Speed 400 with red temp plates. Rode into the dealership and again asked for a test ride and this time before they could start with the service needed excuse, told them about the test ride bike that was currently being parked outside.

I guess the lady was too tired at that point and gave me the test ride but not without some secret conversation between the lady from the showroom and the security guards about the guys coming in for test rides.

I think the issue was actually my riding attire. They seem to have that British arrogance inherited from the brand because it seemed like while I was asking multiple people for a test ride bike the remaining SA's were having in depth conversations with guys in half shorts with nice slick hair (I don't even comb mine) and branded sneakers.

Anyways, my observations (from a really short test ride of less than 2 kms in total - the security guard actually checked the odometer at the end of the test ride as if to confirm that I didn't ride the bike further than instructed) was that the engine and gearbox were fine at low speeds and initial gears (great exhaust note too). All this was complemented with a decently compliant suspension, but I couldn't actually grab the tank with my thighs (currently ride a RTR 200). That kind of threw me off and made the whole experience awkward.

After this whole debacle, I didn't even bother asking for the Scrambler test ride and rode my bike out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
For those in Bangalore, I was able to cancel both my 400 and 400x booking from Keerthi and got the full refund within a week; did this via call (when they actually called to check when I will be taking the vehicle).

Documents were shared via a WhatsApp number and over which I got the updates.
@HappyWheels, can you please provide the WhatsApp number that you used to cancel the booking? DM would be fine.

Last edited by JithinR : 26th December 2023 at 22:59.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks