Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2024, 23:06   #1621
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
it was a scary 5-7 seconds.
Thank God nothing happened. Losing control downhill is really dangerous and scary.
itsMridul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 13:20   #1622
BHPian

I went on a 100km ride with the better half riding pillion yesterday, post ECU update. The bike's stalling problem has *almost* disappeared, and it rides more smoothly than earlier.

Firstly, the irritating revving up that was happening earlier with the clutch pulled in, which was introduced with the November ECU update has gone, which probably contributes to the feeling of improved smoothness. Secondly, the Distance To Empty calculation seems to be less volatile and more dependable now, but this space needs to be watched.

Now coming back to stalling: during the ride, the bike still stalled thrice. Once, while I was riding at a slow speed in second gear (no knocking) on very fine slippery sand, and twice in first gear at traffic signals with the clutch pulled in. Still, it's much better than before.

Someone I know who did not have the stalling problem earlier told me that after the new ECU update, he's started to face stalling, especially when going down speed bumps. He's going to ask the ASC to revert the ECU software to the earlier version.

A significant part of our ride yesterday was on a rough stretch of road* - broken pavement that's only been patched in patches, not relaid although it's crying out for resurfacing. It was really difficult to ride on this stretch and back due to the small front wheel and the slightly lean-forward position (despite pullback risers) of the rider.

I had a lot of strain on the wrists and the palms due to frequent deceleration and bumps on this road, contributed partly by having a pillion rider. If I were riding by myself, I would have saddled the bike half of the way. I'm not going back on that road on my bike.

* Matar to Limbasi, for the curious.
davelok is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 19:19   #1623
BHPian

The bike does feel smoother and faster to ride post the update. Again, down to the higher idle rev. We need to rev that bit less for reaching the power band. This is similar to what piggyback chips do to an extent I believe. I've had a single episode of stalling post the update. Mileage not affected despite riding quicker.
Senotrius is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 22:20   #1624
BHPian

I took delivery of my speed early this month and I have faced the stalling issue thrice so far. During my first service, I had raised this issue and the mechanic said that there are 3 possible reasons for this.

1. ECU issue
2. The injector is located near the seat and during hard braking, all the fuel goes to the front of the tank (when there are a few liters of fuel). Because there is no fuel, the engine cuts off. He said that this doesn't happen when there is a full tank of fuel.
3. Improper gearing.

Thinking about these reasons I remember that I had faced the stalling issue twice due to point No. 2. I do not know how far it is true but that is what it is.

The bike is smooth after the first service and I enjoy riding the bike.
katchkamalesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 16:43   #1625
BHPian

Is ECU software update being done only at service station or showrooms are also doing it?

Do I need to take appointment at either location?
Old 29th January 2024, 16:54   #1626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityRyder View Post
Is ECU software update being done only at service station or showrooms are also doing it?

Do I need to take appointment at either location?
Service centers only and yes it is better to call in and book a slot.
aston_martyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 17:55   #1627
Distinguished - BHPian

Are there any other reports other than the initially reported swing arm breakage issue on Speed 400? And the coolant leakage reports that surfaced initially?
Old 29th January 2024, 18:00   #1628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
2. The injector is located near the seat and during hard braking, all the fuel goes to the front of the tank (when there are a few liters of fuel). Because there is no fuel, the engine cuts off. He said that this doesn't happen when there is a full tank of fuel.
The engine runs on the fuel moving through the pump and the fuel line. Even if the bike tilts forward while braking or going down a hump, the short interval when this happens is not likely to result in the engine stalling instantly. Even this doesn't explain why it stalls at traffic signals when the bike is stationary.

The other arguments are just excuses.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 21:17   #1629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Are there any other reports other than the initially reported swing arm breakage issue on Speed 400? And the coolant leakage reports that surfaced initially?
There was no other swing arm breakage issue other than that one. From what I remember Triumph responded to the issue after inspecting the bike. The rider was involved in a severe accident caused due to the black ice and 10+ parts had to be replaced.

And coolant leakage reports are due to overfilling of the coolant by service center staff. That's what was mentioned by multiple people.

The most reported issue was the stalling of the bikes and looks like it was resolved with an ECU update.

Last edited by prasathlr : 29th January 2024 at 21:19.
prasathlr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 08:38   #1630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Speed 400 swing arm is made of aluminum alloy. So are many other parts like Bar end mirror arm, brake and clutch levers, etc.

Aluminum alloys don't have much flexibility. They however have better load bearing strength/kg. However under strong impact force, they tend to break rather than bend like parts made of iron.

So you gain something (less weight) at cost of some other (poor impact strength).

The instances of heavy impact force leading to breakage of swing arm are rare of the rarest (like falling at high speed and hitting a sharp metal object or stone at 90 degree).

So no need to worry. Enjoy your ride.

Last edited by ajay0612 : 30th January 2024 at 08:39. Reason: addition of a word
ajay0612 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 14:36   #1631
BHPian

Quote:
The other arguments are just excuses.
I did not probe more as I was able to connect with that situation.

Maybe the sensors sense that there is no fuel and cut off the engine abruptly (maybe as the engine stops as soon as the side stand is deployed, I know I shouldn't be comparing both but I just saying - sensor issue probably?)

P.S. Apologies, I typed out injector instead of fuel pump. The injector will be in the engine head.
Old 1st February 2024, 12:38   #1632
Senior - BHPian

Ever since the software updates, I seem to be riding the bike much faster without putting in any extra effort.

The points on the road where I would back off after accelerating to 90, I consistently cross 100 now. I unknowingly hit the rev limiter much more frequently than intended. A *lot* more than I did prior to the update.

The vibes definitely seem to have dialed down or else I would know when to back off and not hit the limiter as often. Or maybe I am more comfortable with the vibes now but the change has been too sudden for me to not notice. The fuel economy is also noticeable lower (not that I care about it, but still) due to all this faster riding.

All in all the bike feels a lot more fun and playful ever since the update. Anyone else felt this? Or is it just me enjoying myself more?
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 07:28   #1633
BHPian

Re: Installing the Carbon Racing windscreen and number plate mount

Quote:
I installed the Carbon Racing windscreen and number plate mount today......

Here are some photos that might be helpful to anyone who is interested in diy jobs.
Life saver. I got this and was wondering how the heck do I fix this thing on to the bike. Thanks a bunch!
chakky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 08:38   #1634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Ever since the software updates, I seem to be riding the bike much faster without putting in any extra effort.

The points on the road where I would back off after accelerating to 90, I consistently cross 100 now. I unknowingly hit the rev limiter much more frequently than intended. A *lot* more than I did prior to the update.

The vibes definitely seem to have dialed down or else I would know when to back off and not hit the limiter as often. Or maybe I am more comfortable with the vibes now but the change has been too sudden for me to not notice. The fuel economy is also noticeable lower (not that I care about it, but still) due to all this faster riding.

All in all the bike feels a lot more fun and playful ever since the update. Anyone else felt this? Or is it just me enjoying myself more?
Same here. I think they should work on fixing the vibrations as well. Double sided foam, thicker rubber footpegs and what not.
Old 3rd February 2024, 11:46   #1635
BHPian

Service center update the software in the month of DEC for the stalling issue. I crosschecked with them just to be sure.

I have an issue right now, I'm not sure if its the stalling problem. Basically after breaking when I am on 3/4th Gear or so, I apply the clutch fully to shift down. At times I don't shift down when instantly because of the traffic ahead. The bike is turning off. Used to do this before on the same bike and my old bike. Never faced any similar issues. I am bit confused.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks