Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2023, 11:44   #121
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Got a peculiar call from Triumph Mumbai. The guy told me they have received a lot of 90 bikes and out of the lot 10 are the red ones. Since I had booked for a red, they will allot me one and I can do the booking formality next week. I told him that I need a test ride as I have not seen the bike in it’s physical avatar, before that I can not commit anything. He said from Wednesday they are starting Test rides for people.

Now here’s the peculiar part, he asked if I can transfer 25k to Shaman Triumph to confirm the allotment since there is a big Q of hopefuls. I declined it politely and said we will meet on Wednesday.

Has anyone got similar call? Also just be cautious before any payments online.
roamer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 13:40   #122
BHPian

List of authorised accessories for the Speed 400.

Might help you guess the price and choose yours

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_20230722_133743.jpg
aviator1101 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 14:15   #123
BHPian

They could release the pricelist as well. I thought number plate,upper engine guard and stuff like mud splash/extender was standard. Hope they're not trying to cash-in at every step here. But we'll have aftermarket accessories as soon as deliveries start. So not much worries. Carbon racing will release a handlebar riser by August if they get delivery as promised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
Now here’s the peculiar part, he asked if I can transfer 25k to Shaman Triumph to confirm the allotment since there is a big Q of hopefuls. I declined it politely and said we will meet on Wednesday.

Obviously the dealer was getting oversmart. Plus, in my case, i called up the dealer a few times and he's yet to contact me back. So, there's the other spectrum of response as well.

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th July 2023 at 22:54. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Senotrius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 14:31   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Obviously the dealer was getting oversmart. Plus, in my case, i called up the dealer a few times and he's yet to contact me back. So, there's the other spectrum of response as well.
Same here! I've been following up with Riya Triumph Ahmedabad for some time now, but still I don't have any concrete reply from them about the testride schedule and OTR price for Gujarat.
Old 22nd July 2023, 14:36   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
I thought number plate,upper engine guard and stuff like mud splash/extender was standard.
I told earlier also, expect nothing free from Triumph. Telling you from past experience.

Quote:
The dealer must be acting smart. I would recommend not to fall for it.

The dealer here in Kolkata is not even aware when he will get the test ride bike. Leave aside asking for dough. He asked for my KYC documents for firm booking which i denied because Triumph India is sending whatsap messages parallelly in which they have asked to fill a Google form with details of Driving Licence and choice of time for test ride. I'm sure these details are being passed down to the dealers.
aviator1101 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 16:08   #126
BHPian

These guys are maybe used to ripping off helpless customers. My purchasing this solely rides on the customer interaction Triumph provides.
Old 22nd July 2023, 17:12   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Not sure if you have covered this, does the Speed 400 come with the bar end mirrors? I am now confused as the accessories list also has bar end mirrors.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd July 2023 at 17:16. Reason: Wrong post quoted. Also, please dont quote entire long posts as it inconveniences our mobile readers. Thank you.
Old 22nd July 2023, 17:17   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yesterday got a call from Pune dealer confirming that the bikes would come by last week of July. She asked me if I have filled in the survey and thats that. No money asked or any kind of date promised.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd July 2023 at 17:34. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 17:24   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Not sure if you have covered this, does the Speed 400 come with the bar end mirrors? I am now confused as the accessories list also has bar end mirrors.
Yes it does - quoting the relevant part of the review below. Also in most of the images of the bike covered in the review.

Quote:
The 'bar end mirrors' are a nifty touch and give the bike a nice premium feel.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 17:47   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Yes it does - quoting the relevant part of the review below. Also in most of the images of the bike covered in the review.
I think it's a common practice.

The manufacturer will advertise the bike with various accessories fitted and write a small line below : accessories featured are not part of standard equipment.

They would have done the same for the media ride bikes also.

Generally, Triumph sells it's bikes bare bones. Everything else has to be purchased separately.

I would not be surprised if history repeats itself
aviator1101 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 17:50   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post

The manufacturer will advertise the bike with various accessories fitted and write a small line below : accessories featured are not part of standard equipment.

Generally, Triumph sells it's bikes bare bones. Everything else has to be purchased separately.

I would not be surprised if history repeats itself
Thank you for getting my concern!

Also, if you see the handlebar pictures, you will notice that there is a provision for "normal" mirrors.
sprocket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 18:01   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The Scrambler comes with normal mirrors. The Speed with bar ends. I believe you can buy the bar end mirrors as an accessory if you want to put them on the Scrambler. It’s possible you can buy the normal mirrors maybe for the Speed - maybe thats why they may have given that provision if you saw it.
Similarly you can buy a headlight grill as an accessory for the Speed but it comes as standard for the Scrambler.

Separate accessory laden models were separately displayed (one of each) which were distinct from the test ride bikes. These too are separately photographed on the first page as part of the review.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd July 2023 at 18:13. Reason: Drafting - for clarity.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 18:15   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Also, if you see the handlebar pictures, you will notice that there is a provision for "normal" mirrors.
What use you put your bike to is entirely a personal choice.

Some people would use it for the weekend overnight trips, some for Sunday rides and some for touring and some (a large number) would use it for commuting also.

The bar end mirrors do give a very premium and upmarket look. No doubts on that. But they increase the handlebar width of the bike and in heavy traffic, they restrict the most famous slip-through act.

So, while the bar end mirrors are good looking and might be useful also, I (and I am sure a lot of people) would prefer to install the standard mirrors which undeniably are more practical for daily use. And my guess is, they would be cheaper also (in case they have to be bought separately)
aviator1101 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 19:14   #134
BHPian

Mileage of the Speed 400
Triumph claimed : 29.7 kmpl

Real world test figures
  • City : 30.67 kmpl
  • Highway : 33.57 kmpl
  • Combined : 32.12 kmpl
Tank capacity : 13 litres
Tank range : 400 km

Comparison with Duke 390 mileage
  • City : 27.04 kmpl
  • Highway : 30.36 kmpl

Triumph Speed 400 Review-screenshot_2023072218455873_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

The bike looks quite small, especially the seat. I have a gut feeling it will not be very comfortable with two people for long distances or touring with pillion, with or without luggage.
Only hope it turns out otherwise when I see and ride it in person.

Data source : Autocar

Quote:
Separate accessory laden models were separately displayed (one of each) which were distinct from the test ride bikes. These too are separately photographed on the first page as part of the review.
Axe77 Sir, please do not get me wrong. Your review was in great detail and a fantastic one at that.

What I was trying to bring out is certain accessories are mandatory (legislated by RTO), some are essential and some optional. Maybe the media ride bikes had the essential along with mandatory ones fitted and the optional ones fitted on the display bikes.

However, there are lot of gray zones as far as these bikes are concerned which will get clarified only once the bikes arrive at the dealers or deliveries start.
aviator1101 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 19:33   #135
BHPian

Quote:

The bike looks quite small, especially the seat. I have a gut feeling it will not be very comfortable with two people for long distances or touring with pillion, with or without luggage.
Only hope it turns out otherwise when I see and ride it in person.
The bike is indeed small and doesnt have the kind of presence people here are expecting. Plus the seat is narrow. Refer to Shumi's review - he has confirmed both.

Pillion rides would best be reserved for short distances. YMMV though.
ToThePoint is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks