Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2023, 21:04   #16
KPR
BANNED

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

For the first time I'm seeing a non RE bike gaining so much attention in YT and social media. Job half done for this bike. Hope we get deliveries on time.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 22:06   #17
Team-BHP Support

Thanks everyone for the replies and for taking the time to read the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malliketh View Post
Have booked this bike for my partner (within the first 10k bookings), she is 5'2". We will TD and decide.
I think she should be fine. There is a picture of me sitting on the bike. For reference, I am about 5'4" but I can't flat foot. Having said that, the low weight and narrow seat makes it easy to manage the bike even if you're not flat footing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malliketh View Post
I ride a KTM 390 ADV and it just astonishes me that something priced at this level would easily be able to keep up with the maniacal engine.
The KTM 390s are definitely more maniacal, to borrow your phrase. This is a bit more measured and genteel although it does have plenty mid range grunt as well as can be revvy if you want it to be. I just feel though that KTM 390 and Speed 400 will have very different 'character' in the riding experience and which one will appeal to whom is a matter of personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
I have few queries Sir, if they could please be answered
I'll try to answer whichever questions I can as best possible:

1. Mirrors: Like my review mentioned, the mirrors are effective and offer good visibility. The Scrambler style 'standard' mirrors can be bought as an accessory IIRC.

Quote:
How much is the gap between the plane of the pillion seat and the exhaust tip?
I really can't answer this off hand now. Please check out the test ride bike when it hits showrooms to personally verify this. In the meantime hopefully the images might give some context.

Quote:
Can a tail bag, something like the Viaterra Claw etc be carried without burning a hole?
I think they should have some accessories like a rear plate in due course and these should allow various forms of tail bags to be mounted. I would not fuss too much about luggage mounting. There's a deep enough after market for luggage many of which will readily fit or people will adapt solutions for these to fit both the Speed and the Scrambler.

Quote:
Is a tyre hugger part of the accessory?
I can't recall this off hand but personally too I'd have loved for the bike to have a tyre hugger. In fact in one of the interim drafts of the report I had specifically covered this.

Quote:
How's the pillion comfort ? The position of pillion footrest plays a major role over long distances. For eg, in the Interceptor 650, it's an ergonomic disaster. How's this bike on that front?
The seat design seems accommodating enough for a pillion. Beyond this I can't comment with certainty on this aspect as I was only riding solo for 3 hours or so. Only a first hand ride 'as a pillion' can conclusively address this.

Also, the pillion footrest looks too close to the rear brake fluid reservoir. Is it looking so in the photograph or actually so?

Quote:
Is radiator guard an accessory? Didn't find it figuring anywhere.
We have asked for a full list of accessories but at the time of writing still haven't received this. I'll be very surprised if this is not an available OEM accessory - if not by Triumph I'm sure the aftermarket will release something.

Quote:
Are there enough luggage mounting points? Without opting for the rack for mounting the top box.
I wouldn't overthink this. I'm sure this will be easily solvable. Off the bat, I'm pretty sure Kreiga US series which offers modular solutions can easily work with this - as can the more economical but comparable versions from Carbonado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
I would also like to know if the radiator guard is standard. Also, any idea regarding cost of the lower engine guard? The other accessory prices needed are those of hand guards and mirrors of the scrambler.
The radiator guard is not standard. It will likely have to be bought as an accessory. Re accessories, please see a few responses above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
However, it seems to have some vibrations post 100 kmph but manageable?
I didn't track this in speedo terms but more in RPM terms. And as mentioned in my review, its post 7000 RPM or so that some 'notable' vibrations start creeping in via the handlebars. Even before that, from 6,000 RPM the mirrors get a bit blurred.

But on the whole, cruising between 100 - 115 is not a problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carfool_Wheeler View Post
Will the Scrambler 400X be reviewed anytime soon ? Or have review samples not been sent till now ?
The Scrambler price release and media ride is likely to come out some time in October with the bikes to launch soon after. I would expect we would get a chance to cover that event as well.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th July 2023 at 22:17.
Axe77 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 22:38   #18
BHPian

And the winner for highest on-road price in India (so-far) goes to-
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Speed 400 Review-screenshot_20230714_223334_opera.jpg  

Senotrius is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 00:31   #19
BHPian

Karnataka is very close to the No. 1 Kerala in pricing. Just under 2k. But compare it with Delhi, the difference is about 39K. Wow! You can buy all the Official accessories and still save some money to fuel up for couple of months.

What is One nation & One Tax? Just a farce!
jaaz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 00:45   #20
BHPian

Great review Axe. Only downer will be the irresponsible Keerthi triumph service to keep up with especially at Bengaluru - they’ve already started to put handling charges and the sort that should not be charged.
Old 15th July 2023, 00:50   #21
BHPian

I am an IT Professional (private sector)
I've chosen Riya Triumph Ahmedabad (Gujarat) dealership for Triumph Speed 400
Can I opt for Bharat Series number ?
Old 15th July 2023, 06:17   #22
BHPian

Few important aspects with respect to using the Speed 400 as a touring machine including pillion comfort, luggage carrying options, suggested accessories and mods have been covered in this video.
Courtesy: Bulu Pattnaik @ youtube

aviator1101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 09:12   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Few important aspects with respect to using the Speed 400 as a touring machine including pillion comfort, luggage carrying options, suggested accessories and mods have been covered in this video.
Courtesy: Bulu Pattnaik @ Youtube

https://Youtu.be/eAt8MQVqKzA
Thanks for sharing. I like many of Bulu Patnaik’s videos. One of the more sorted blokes out there and he does make a lot of touring specific mods and related videos.

I have minor difference of opinion on a few things. For instance, personally I don’t think a bike that tours at 100 - 110/120 really needs a small fly screen for comfort. These are pretty modest speeds IMO. But then its personal I guess.

Secondly, the ground clearance was really good at least in the riding I did that I don’t think I would think of upgrading to the heavier aluminium bash plate, especially if one is pursuing tarmac biased touring on this bike. The plastic one should do just fine. The only caveat being I haven’t tested it with different load scenarios (pillion / luggage combo) and in turn played with different pre load adjust settings. Only if that is causing any bottoming out would I consider the reinforced plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzvish91 View Post
I am an IT Professional (private sector)
I've chosen Riya Triumph Ahmedabad (Gujarat) dealership for Triumph Speed 400
Can I opt for Bharat Series number ?
1. There is a very detailed thread relating to all aspects of BH transfer. Please do check the linked post. Your question is probably more relevant in that thread.

2. To answer your question regardless, I believe you need to have offices in 4 states and 4 distinct GST numbers. Best to continue any eligibility related queries on that thread.

3. Have you called Riya and simply asked them this question directly? Ideally the dealer will be best placed to guide you to all aspects of BH related registration including eligibility and documentation requirements.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th July 2023 at 09:50.
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 09:37   #24
KPR
BANNED

Whether bikes have reached showrooms? Any idea when delivery starts? Any information on that?
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 09:49   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Whether bikes have reached showrooms? Any idea when delivery starts? Any information on that?
I had informally asked the Mumbai dealer and they expect bikes (including a demo) to hit their showroom around the last week of July and deliveries to start around the same time / very soon after. Not sure if they’ve officially confirmed these timelines but this is what they expect.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 11:04   #26
BHPian

Yes,same here down south as well. Now I'm waiting for carbon racing and other manufacturers to ready their accessories list.
Old 15th July 2023, 12:06   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw on the Khivraj Triumph site and insta that they are taking bookings for Bangalore. Looks like their showroom is open or opening soon. Dropped a msg asking if they will pick up any of the existing pre-bookings or if we can switch. No response yet. Khivraj is much closer to me and seems to have much better feedback than Keerthi Triumph.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 12:11   #28
BHPian

Any current customers of ONE TRIUMPH NARAINA, New Delhi?
How is the dealer in basic engagement? How's the ASS?

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th July 2023 at 12:14.
Old 15th July 2023, 12:14   #29
BHPian

Seems a wonderfully sorted bike. The major grouse I have with the KTMs are the awful city riding traits with bad fuelling low down mated with that gearbox that causes lugging so easily unless you keep shifting. According to Sagar Sheldekar’s vid this thing will happily pootle along in third without you constantly having to drop gears in traffic. THAT alone is worth gold! It’s a trait I love about the Honda CB300R, along with its lovely clutch and gearbox.

The Triumphs seem to have struck a great balance between all-round rideability and outright performance. I expect that some of those vibes over 7,000 should subside a bit after a good running in. Seems like a superb package even at a 3L pricepoint, let alone 2.3! I’m sure we’ll soon have aftermarket upgrades aplenty from adjustable levers to exhaust systems and maps.

The only place where I actually see the cost saving (shaving?) is in the suspension department. Wonder what the Scrambler 400 is going to be like, considering I’ve booked one. Even though we’re stuck with Keerthi here in Bangalore, and considering I have never in my life been an early adopter of any tech (or mech) product, at that price I might just roll the dice. All told, an outstanding package. Time to buy some Bajaj stock.

Thanks for the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Saw on the Khivraj Triumph site and insta that they are taking bookings for Bangalore. Dropped a msg asking if they will pick up any of the existing pre-bookings or if we can switch.
I saw that too but no timeline and while booking online Keerthi was the only option. I’m sure all of Bangalore would wholeheartedly shift to Khivraj given the option. I know I would. Doubt they’ll allow that though. Do update if you get more information.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th July 2023 at 13:23. Reason: Minor formatting edits for better readability. Thank you.
RT13 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 12:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

This is one bike that has desirability written all over it and the reviews confirm it.

So I need your help guys. The bug has bitten me and this is one bike I want since there's no need for it - my workplace arranges cabs for a mere 2 grand a month.

Here are my questions:
1) Is this a bike that's good for beginners? All reviews say that it is but I want to be doubly sure. I've only ridden scooters all these years although I do have a license for geared two wheelers. Driven scooters and cars extensively for the past 8-9 years. Is it advisable to start off in such a powerful bike initially?
2) How do riders manage office runs with laptops during rainy days?
3) Not bothered too much about service centres. We've dealt with VW before. Or is it worse?

Still on the fence and it's obvious that I'm going to get stares from my family if I completely fall for it.

Last edited by Turbohead : 15th July 2023 at 12:50.
Turbohead is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks