Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2023, 10:54   #76
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Speed 400 ticks all the boxes except for the riding posture, which is too committed for relaxed driving for long hours. Bent knees for long periods tire them out sooner than that on x440, CB350 or classic (all offer upright neutral stance).
ajay0612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 15:14   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Because:
1. Honda CB350, 300, GS & Apache 310, Jawa are not even making any numbers
2. Harley 440X is yet to be launched
3. Talking about Benelli or any other Chinese manufacturer is nowhere in sight
4. Talking about KTM, Dominar or Kawasaki is shooting Bajaj's own foot

Who's the next alternative? RE & variants {besides that's where the money can be made from}

Only people like us can really understand comparing these motorcycles are not relevant at all

I saw many videos of Speed 400, and some of the comparisons as well, all are comparing it with 350cc machines from RE.

In my mind it is actually closer in performance to the 650 cc twins along side the 390's from KTM.

Speed 400 v/s RE Interceptor / GT, Duke 390

Scrambler 400x v/s Adventure 390 series

Why not to compare these, I know the price bracket would be a bit off here. But the performance figures are actually closer.

Last edited by NEMatters : 18th July 2023 at 15:24.
NEMatters is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 16:14   #78
BHPian

I see the T400 as Bajaj correcting the D390's current price. They don't want to release an X version of the Duke yet and seems the price will only increase with the upcoming 2024 Duke.
On another note, for all the design/quality standards triumph had specified for the T400, why is the speedo console so underwhelming. Frankly it borders between meh and below average to me. They could have done the HD x440 or the Trident 660 way for the info console(if fully digital). This reminds me of lower level hero commuters. It felt like an afterthought.

Last edited by Senotrius : 18th July 2023 at 16:15.
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 16:50   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMatters View Post
Why not to compare these, I know the price bracket would be a bit off here. But the performance figures are actually closer.
It's already been done at 13th post of this thread pls
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 17:15   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Can someone please compare this bike to the 3 "Main Rivals" mentioned in this video?

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=mVlf9B__Xc0

Incidentally, all 3 are available in India but very few in the Indian media even give them a passing mention. 1 Publication did do a ergonomics and sound comparo with the KTM but none of the other 2 were even mentioned. I wonder why everyone is hell bent on comparing it with the RE350s when both bikes are not even close!

PROTOTYPE! PREPRODUCTION!!
Its going on sale next month here in India..
So does it means that we are going to be "real world beta testers" for early batches of TS400??
vzvish91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 17:27   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
It's already been done at 13th post of this thread pls
Ahh.. I missed to notice it earlier. I agree to what you stated. Wish to see a side by side comparison video someday.
Old 18th July 2023, 18:00   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzvish91 View Post
So does it means that we are going to be "real world beta testers" for early batches of TS400??
Kind of. All first lot batches will have niggles and issues that gets ironed out later.
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 18:45   #83
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Speed 400 ticks all the boxes except for the riding posture, which is too committed for relaxed driving for long hours. Bent knees for long periods tire them out sooner than that on x440, CB350 or classic (all offer upright neutral stance).
Having ridden both the Ninja 650 and the Triumph ST 900 over long distance (600 km+), I would say that bent knees are no issue - in fact they are more comfortable.
srh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 18:58   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Also the padding of the seat is on the softer side which is not ideal for long rides and would cause aches after around 1.5 to 2 hours of constant riding. This aspect was brought out by 4-5 reviewers.

Doesn't seem to be comfortable for touring in stock form. But then there's nothing which cannot be modified as per requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Having ridden both the Ninja 650 and the Triumph ST 900 over long distance (600 km+), I would say that bent knees are no issue - in fact they are more comfortable.
With all due respect Sir, that is only true if the roads are good or you do purely highway touring. On bad roads, one tends to resort to saddling which is not possible in a sports tourer like Ninja.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th July 2023 at 04:25. Reason: Merging. Please use Multi quote or EDIT function when required. Thank you.
aviator1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 19:55   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzvish91 View Post
If i may try to give an alternate line of thought to this. Please tell me if that makes sense.
All the prototype modelling happened in the Triumph R&D in UK. Of course Pre production units would be only available in UK. Series production never happened in UK as it is supposed to happen in India. Till the production units are despatched from India and units reach UK, the guys in Triumph UK have no option to call them Pre Production or Prototype.

I am hoping this one possible interpretation can also be considered for what the journalists from UK are describing. Did we have any journos in India call them pre production or prototypes by any chance?
rohitoasis is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 20:32   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Did we have any journos in India call them pre production or prototypes by any chance?
You have a good observation and a valid point.

OR

On the prototype - if that is the case, then we are getting an imported TS400 at a dirt-cheap price.
shailinder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 21:17   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailinder View Post
On the prototype - if that is the case, then we are getting an imported TS400 at a dirt-cheap price.
I would beg to disagree for two simple reasons.

One, I don't think prototypes would ever go into mass production.

Two, selling prototypes after global launch would be suicidal. I don't think any company with global reputation would ever risk their image in doing so.
aviator1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 21:36   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
I would beg to disagree for two simple reasons.

One, I don't think prototypes would ever go into mass production.

Two, selling prototypes after global launch would be suicidal. I don't think any company with global reputation would ever risk their image in doing so.
Yes, you are right. I reverted based on Rohitoasis's post earlier and with a "pun" intended on the prototype and imported model.

What you suggest is absolutely true. Prototypes are test mules and should not be made production ready, or no manufacturer would take that risk.

But India is considered a dumping ground, and many foreign companies do their R&D on us Indians. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope for a better response/vehicle for us.
shailinder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 21:52   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailinder View Post
But India is considered a dumping ground, and many foreign companies do their R&D on us Indians. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope for a better response/vehicle for us.
Why go to foreign companies Sir?

I'm not advocating brand bashing here...

But some of our own home grown brands are known to carry out R&D on first batch of customers...
aviator1101 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 11:20   #90
BHPian

Rishaad Mody from Autocar has called the bike pre-production at 5:32 in this video.

Nobody else that I know of has used that word or the prototype word.

The bikes which will come in for test rides will probably not be pre-production. We will know when what we are getting when we ride those.
antz.bin is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks