Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2023, 15:25   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Bajaj and Triumph seems to have a done a wonderful job with this motorcycle. Going by the reviews here and elsewhere, the Speed 400 looks like a winner all around.

@Axe77, how is the engine heat management on this bike? Does it get anywhere near as hot as the KTM Duke 390 in traffic?

On a related note, this is what TVS should have done with the Ronin to begin with - launched it with the engine from Apache 310R, instead of that neither-here-nor-there 220cc engine. Here's hoping that the response received by Speed 400 will make them take corrective action soon.
Old 17th July 2023, 16:08   #62
BHPian

Just called up Triumph Pashan in Pune. He first confirmed if I have received the first 10k customer message (which I have).

Test ride bikes will arrive by the 1st or 2nd week of August.

No commitment on deliveries yet. Wouldn't even say September for booking ID #86xx. The only thing he did say was I will get a message with updates on when I will get the delivery. Nothing else.

Coming to the engine heat, I doubt anyone can comment for now. The weather in Pune has been very pleasant the past 3 weeks now. Minimum temperature of 22-23, Max of 27-28. This combined with rain means very little heat build-up.

As far as comparison with the Duke is concerned. Speed 400 engine is larger in capacity but makes less power. This is probably due to a lower compression ratio. 12.88:1 for Duke vs 12:1 for Speed. This is same as the Dominar but higher than the TVS/BMW 313cc engine that has a compression ratio of 10.9:1. Harley 440x compression ratio is even lower at 9.5:1. Higher the compression ratio, higher the heat generated.
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 17:15   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
@Axe77, how is the engine heat management on this bike? Does it get anywhere near as hot as the KTM Duke 390 in traffic?
@Safari_lover: Reproducing the relevant extract from our review below for ready reference. Some reviewers did encounter a little traffic and according to their reviews the heat generated was nothing offensive. BUT, best to check this out first hand in heavy traffic once test mules are readily available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
At no point during the ride did I face any engine heat issues but I don't want to leave this as a conclusion since most of my riding was on open roads and I was never in any heavy or standing traffic. We'd reserve judgement on this aspect until we get a chance to ride it in heavy city traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Coming to the engine heat, I doubt anyone can comment for now. The weather in Pune has been very pleasant the past 3 weeks now. Minimum temperature of 22-23, Max of 27-28. This combined with rain means very little heat build-up.
Indeed - and consistent with what I experienced above. We’ll have to wait and watch via extended test rides as to this aspect.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 20:25   #64
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have booked mine, and at 2.23L ex. Showroom. Eagerly waiting for the delivery. I actually wanted to book 400X, but I have been waiting for over a year and cannot wait any further. That is why going ahead with S400.

Any idea on insurance from outside? I want a zero-dep plan. Has anyone tried it and especially from a Triumph showroom etc. pls suggest?

Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 20:44   #65
BHPian

I spotted one yesterday. It looked small in size, closer to Hunter than Classic.
shashant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 21:20   #66
BHPian

Test ride by first week of august according to the Triumph whatsapp registration form.
Senotrius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 21:24   #67
BHPian

Received a whatsapp message with link to a Google Form today from the Triumph Dealer in Kolkata.

Various questions including personal details were part of the form. The last question was preferred time for test ride, options starting from mornings in first week of August. So those are the timelines when the demo bikes would be available in the existing Triumph showrooms
aviator1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 21:34   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Received a whatsapp message with link to a Google Form today from the Triumph Dealer in Kolkata.

Various questions including personal details were part of the form. The last question was preferred time for test ride, options starting from mornings in first week of August. So those are the timelines when the demo bikes would be available in the existing Triumph showrooms
Got the SMS and completed the form few minutes back. Not sure why they need license number!

Selected August start, for test drive.

Think this is from Triumph itself and not dealer.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th July 2023 at 22:15. Reason: Minor typo.
HappyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 21:55   #69
BHPian

Just filled the form.

Just as the guy on the phone told me earlier today, test rides in August.

And yes, this was from the Triumph India number, not BU Bhandari's.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 22:02   #70
BHPian

I received a WhatsApp; they wanted individual details via a Google doc. Test rides are scheduled for 1st week of Aug, and it looks like there will be a launch event, too they request to confirm whether anyone would be interested in participating.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Speed 400 Review-test-ride.jpg  

Triumph Speed 400 Review-triumph.jpg  

shailinder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 08:41   #71
BHPian

Can someone please compare this bike to the 3 "Main Rivals" mentioned in this video?

Incidentally, all 3 are available in India but very few in the Indian media even give them a passing mention. 1 Publication did do a ergonomics and sound comparo with the KTM but none of the other 2 were even mentioned. I wonder why everyone is hell bent on comparing it with the RE350s when both bikes are not even close!
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 09:18   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone please compare this bike to the 3 "Main Rivals" mentioned in this video?

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=mVlf9B__Xc0

Incidentally, all 3 are available in India but very few in the Indian media even give them a passing mention. 1 Publication did do a ergonomics and sound comparo with the KTM but none of the other 2 were even mentioned. I wonder why everyone is hell bent on comparing it with the RE350s when both bikes are not even close!
And in england, they are referring to this as prototype!
I hope the initial 10k units sold in india are not from this "prototype" bins!
gkrishn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 09:23   #73
BHPian

Quote:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=mVlf9B__Xc0

In India, the "competition" is viewed in terms of sales figures rather than actual same segment bike. I agree, Triumph Speed 400 should be compared with CB300R, BMW g310, Duke390. But their sales figures are pretty average to below average. So the target "competition" is the king of sales - Classic 350 and Hunter 350. No quite right. But that's the way it is.
Ratan Prabhu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 09:49   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder why everyone is hell bent on comparing it with the RE350s when both bikes are not even close!
Because:
1. Honda CB350, 300, GS & Apache 310, Jawa are not even making any numbers
2. Harley 440X is yet to be launched
3. Talking about Benelli or any other Chinese manufacturer is nowhere in sight
4. Talking about KTM, Dominar or Kawasaki is shooting Bajaj's own foot

Who's the next alternative? RE & variants {besides that's where the money can be made from}

Only people like us can really understand comparing these motorcycles are not relevant at all

Last edited by aargee : 18th July 2023 at 09:51.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 10:28   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

Triumph Speed 400 Cons

The cons don’t actually sound like cons. Minor inconveniences for some special cases while others being cosmetic. The only doubtful aspect is the last one, regarding service/customer care. These bikes look great. Only 2 wheeler after Yamaha Aerox that felt enticing (to me).
amol4184 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks