Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2023, 13:32   #31
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
This is one bike that has desirability written all over it and the reviews confirm it.

So I need your help guys. The bug has bitten me and this is one bike I want since there's no need for it - my workplace arranges cabs for a mere 2 grand a month.

Here are my questions:
1) Is this a bike that's good for beginners? All reviews say that it is but I want to be doubly sure. I've only ridden scooters all these years although I do have a license for geared two wheelers. Driven scooters and cars extensively for the past 8-9 years. Is it advisable to start off in such a powerful bike initially?
2) How do riders manage office runs with laptops during rainy days?
3) Not bothered too much about service centres. We've dealt with VW before. Or is it worse?
1. If you've close to zero experience with geared motorcycles, then please avoid.

2. I use a viaterra 35L tailbag with rain cover. So much more comfortable than using a laptop bag under the rain coat or with a rain cover on top. It's more comfortable than even riding with a shoulder or messenger bag period. i drop it into the tail bag. I use the tail bag all the time for storage purposes.

3. I'm guessing similar initially until(/if) Bajaj gets seriously involved. Plus they say charges mat be lesser than typical large triumph bikes.
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 13:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review. This bike is ticking all the boxes, (except for the dreaded Keerthi Triumph experience for Bengalureans). My only question to you is about the clutch action. Other bikes are giving me some hand pain (Especially the KTM). Is it as great as the Honda CB 350?
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 13:57   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
According to Sagar Sheldekar’s vid this thing will happily pootle along in third without you constantly having to drop gears in traffic. THAT alone is worth gold!
Spot on! Both 3rd and 4th can pull from respectably low speeds.

Quote:
Wonder what the Scrambler 400 is going to be like, considering I’ve booked one.
I’m an adventure / scrambler kinda guy myself and once I was feeling at home with the bike, about halfway through the ride all I could think of was - if this bike can be so much fun to play around with, goddam the Scrambler is gonna be a hoot and a half!! I personally can’t wait to ride it!

The Speed can feel just a tad dull at the lower end (its the mid range that’s meatier). I understand that the Scrambler has been given a different sprocket if I’m not mistaken and I’m hoping they will get that low end grunt and pull absolutely right because that’s crucial for a mud plugger / scrambler sort of machine.

That combined with a more bespoke suspension set-up / travel (both ends get 150mm of travel on the Scrambler) should hopefully get them home with another winner.

The other aspect I’d like to closely see are the “stand-up” riding ergonomics - right off the bat when I was getting an ergonomics feel of the demo bike standing there, I could see a few ‘not so perfect’ aspects - but they’re all hopefully very easily fixable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Here are my questions:
1) Is this a bike that's good for beginners? All reviews say that it is but I want to be doubly sure. I've only ridden scooters all these years although I do have a license for geared two wheelers. Driven scooters and cars extensively for the past 8-9 years. Is it advisable to start off in such a powerful bike initially?
2) How do riders manage office runs with laptops during rainy days?
3) Not bothered too much about service centres. We've dealt with VW before. Or is it worse?
1. I think it is. Its a very forgiving and unintimidating bike, in how it feels, rides and responds. At the same time, it has enough potential to be playful and entertaining enough as you grow in confidence as a rider. This can be your first motorcycle if you already know how to ride and can be engaging enough to not have to upgrade in a jiffy as you grow in confidence.

2. This is very easily done. Off the bat example (slightly pricey) - get a 30 - 40 ltr Kriega US series and put your laptop bag inside it or stuff inside it. Can be loaded on the pillion seat and is completely bike agnostic. Those bags are bomb-proof in construction and thoroughly waterproof as well. I’ve done multiple all day journeys on my Tiger in the rains entrusting all my expensive electronics like ipad / laptop in my Kriega US30. There will be a number of MUCH cheaper solutions as well that will work equally effectively. Any waterproof bag, combined with a waterproof cover on top for double protection and strung to the back seat with a bungee cord / bungee net will achieve the same results at a fraction of the cost. (Search Tripole rain cover in Amazon. I’ve used them and they’re great quality.)

3. Personally, I expect service to only get better from where it is under Bajaj’s watch. But we’ll have to wait and watch for this play out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My only question to you is about the clutch action. Other bikes are giving me some hand pain (Especially the KTM). Is it as great as the Honda CB 350?
I’ve not ridden these other bikes much so I don’t have a relative reference in mind but the clutch action felt smooth and I didn’t find any undue pain. And I’m quite short so my benchmark should be good.

I did hear one reviewer complain the clutch was a bit hard but I personally didn’t find that to be the case on my bike at least. Not sure if the setting had played out differently for different reviewers on different bikes, what with 5 days of hard riding by various riders.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th July 2023 at 14:01. Reason: Merging
Axe77 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 14:52   #34

Truly a beautiful review for a beautiful bike. I'm planning to buy a bike around late September this year, however the this Triumph wouldn't have aged enough for true ownership reviews to come out and I really don't want to be a Beta Tester.

Do you think its worth it to perhaps delay the purchase process in favour of this bike? Sure, I'll have to wait a bit more but I'm gladly willing to do that if this bike is truly something special.
Old 15th July 2023, 15:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I’ve not ridden these other bikes much so I don’t have a relative reference in mind but the clutch action felt smooth and I didn’t find any undue pain. And I’m quite short so my benchmark should be good.

I did hear one reviewer complain the clutch was a bit hard but I personally didn’t find that to be the case on my bike at least. Not sure if the setting had played out differently for different reviewers on different bikes, what with 5 days of hard riding by various riders.
So yes,reviewers have said varying opinions about this. Some have said it's feather light, while others remarked medium weighted. None have in unison said super light or super hard to operate. Others have pointed out notchy gear shifts in few units to super sharp shifts. Again I think the consensus is in general good but not super light or super crisp shifts. I think it comes down to being the initial lot of units regarding these differences. It comes down to luck to an extent regarding which tyre one gets as well. Really hope I don't end up with a lemon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt777 View Post
Truly a beautiful review for a beautiful bike. I'm planning to buy a bike around late September this year, however the this Triumph wouldn't have aged enough for true ownership reviews to come out and I really don't want to be a Beta Tester.

Do you think its worth it to perhaps delay the purchase process in favour of this bike? Sure, I'll have to wait a bit more but I'm gladly willing to do that if this bike is truly something special.
No, i would suggest to wait for the initial owners to give a proper feedback. Unless you have to make the purchase within the financial half year mark, I'd suggest to avoid the initial lot of any brand new model.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th July 2023 at 21:31. Reason: Please use EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE as appropriate, instead of posting back to back posts. Thank you.
Old 15th July 2023, 20:12   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt777 View Post

The bike is great. No doubt. But I will still wait and may buy in Dec. By then we may have quite a few of 5000 km ownership reviews and triumph service experiences shared by owners. So decision making will be easier. I had done the same for CBR when it launched in 2011 and it has served me well so far. I prefer playing it safe
Ratan Prabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 20:34   #37
BHPian

I booked the bike on the launch day itself, and received confirmation message on Whatsapp a week later from Triumph as being one of the lucky 10000 to book this at the inaugural price. I had booked this partly due to compulsion and partly because of the value proposition (more power and torque for the amount I'm paying). Also, I couldn't afford the KTM 390 when it was launched a decade ago at a similar price point, and now it feels like an expensive buy considering I'll be riding it mostly on weekends (I'm 40 y.o. now BTW). So this launch came as a blessing for me. However, after reading this thread I am now in a dilemma whether to go for this or wait for Scrambler edition. I'm almost 5'10" and triple digit weight in KG, hence the apprehension. Also the fear of ending up with an odd lemon for life since this is a new product. Should I cancel this booking and wait for Scrambler? And maybe buy it a year down the line, only when all doubts have been cleared by various ownership reviews on social media? But then because of the demand created for this beauty of a beast, will Bajaj-Triumph raise the prices later, only for me to regret cancelling the booking?

I'm in a fix right now 😭, please share your thoughts...
mav3r1ckblu3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 20:46   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3r1ckblu3 View Post
However, after reading this thread I am now in a dilemma whether to go for this or wait for Scrambler edition. I'm almost 5'10" and triple digit weight in KG, hence the apprehension. Also the fear of ending up with an odd lemon for life since this is a new product. Should I cancel this booking and wait for Scrambler? And maybe buy it a year down the line, only when all doubts have been cleared by various ownership reviews on social media? But then because of the demand created for this beauty of a beast, will Bajaj-Triumph raise the prices later, only for me to regret cancelling the booking?
Since you have got the 10k discount, my suggestion would be to not cancel it. Mr. Axe77 will be able to respond better but in my opinion, the scrambler would be best suited for 6ft or taller riders or the experienced shorter riders who would use the bike for the occasional off-roading. Plus I expect the scrambler to be close to 25-30k more expensive than the Speed 400 on road.

I suggest you to take a proper long test ride of the speed400 whenever the bike is available for test ride and then decide. I am 90% sure from all the reviews including this one, that it is a fantastic bike with no evident flaws and 100% sure that there is no better bike in 3L.

Last edited by Ratan Prabhu : 15th July 2023 at 20:47.
Ratan Prabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 07:52   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
I saw that too but no timeline and while booking online Keerthi was the only option. I’m sure all of Bangalore would wholeheartedly shift to Khivraj given the option. I know I would. Doubt they’ll allow that though. Do update if you get more information.
Khivraj responded to my Instagram msg that Bangalore showroom will be open from early August. No comment on shifting booking though.

The booking form on Triumph Website now has Khivraj - Electronic City as an option.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 09:17   #40
BHPian

So I have gone through literally all the reviews, and with all its merits, the unanimous opinion is that there are vibes but there is variation amongst the reviewers opinions where in the rev range the vibes are.

Varun Painter from Powerdrift says they start from 4500RPM and stay all the way to the redline. Goes to the extent of calling it a city motorcycle.That is literally half the rev range, he wouldn't be wrong in calling it that.

Sagar Sheldekar also says the vibes start at 4500 but then subside and restart around 7000. That is more acceptable. This is the behaviour of my Pulsar as well. I guess I can live with that if the magnitude of vibration is within limits.

The TeamBHP review also mentions vibes starting around
7000 RPM but no mention of the 4500 RPM vibes.

Rishaad Modi of Autocar also mentions vibes above 7000 RPM.

Overdrive mentions "Characterful vibes". Whatever that means. Strell mentioned the vibes but only in the higher revs.

Evo India conveniently forgets to mention vibes altogether.

The Motorinc review is not in yet but that one should clarify practically everything remaining.

7000 RPM is quite high up in the rev range considering that this bike does 100kmph in 6th around 5k RPM. Cruising till 120 should be relatively vibe free. If that is the case, vibes are absolutely a non issue. But of what Varun said is true, then we have a problem.

I can do the test ride but the reason we need the reviews is because the dealership probably won't give me a 150km test ride like these guys did.
antz.bin is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 11:47   #41
BHPian

Here, the dealership themselves are unsure regarding delivery. They're saying they get only 50 units per batch for the speed 400. Please note this is the only statewide dealership. So maybe a September delivery date they're quoting. No idea regarding accessories and accessory cost. All of this is partial nonsense. Are they saying they'll make up and decide the cost once the accessories arrive in person on the showroom floor? If bikewale can get the cost, it's much more easy for the lone state dealer to have an idea regarding accessories and delivery dates/service costs.

Last edited by Senotrius : 16th July 2023 at 11:49.
Old 16th July 2023, 12:45   #42
BHPian

I think Bajaj Triumph has hurried up the launch of the Speed 400.

While they have achieved one aim of winning over a chunk of X440 customers to their side, they haven't sorted out their in house affairs prior to Speed 400 launch and pre-bookings.

The Kolkata Triumph dealer (the only one covering WB and entire NE states) has no clue when the bike will be available for test drive. Leave aside arrival of bikes for delivery. Added to that is status of the new Bajaj Triumph showrooms. No clarity on the same. They are calling up people for KYC documents and confirmation of booking without any commitment from their side on the timelines.

Such chaos will only lead to antagonising probable customers.

Hope they have things sorted out before launch of the Scrambler 400X which most probably they would launch sometime around the launch of the Himalayan 450.

Last edited by aviator1101 : 16th July 2023 at 12:57. Reason: Grammar
aviator1101 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 15:40   #43
BHPian

Video courtesy: YouTube (Autocar)

Hope this helps in clearing the perspective further
aviator1101 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 16:58   #44
BHPian

Couple of day back received a message that for Display and test ride will happen in August 10th - 15th and Delivery will be on October 1st week itself..
Old 16th July 2023, 17:04   #45
BHPian

For all Delhi/NCR folks,

I visited One Triumph Naraina showroom today. Footfall was really great as I believe Speed 400/Scrambler X has created some general interest of Triumph Motorcycles among Delhi/NCR riders. I may be wrong.
Inquired about arrival of Speed 400 Display units in the showroom . These are the important points that came out of that discussion:

Triumph One (both Delhi and Gurgaon) have received 1500 odd bookings for Speed 400.
700 bookings alone has been received by Naraina branch.
Display units will arrive in first week of August 2023.
Going by the number of bookings, deliveries will start tentatively from September/October 2023.
Showroom is not aware of allotment or production planning as no information has been shared with them yet.
Showroom's number provided on the Google is non responsive which was shared with the sales advisor (Mr. Vipul Singh) as a feedback. He has given his personal number and email ID. I can share it on DM if required.
IshWish is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks