Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2023, 20:36   #46
DSC
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

If Bajaj and Triumph can work something out to sell these through Bajaj outlets, sales will skyrocket.

At present, limited reach especially in rural areas will be the greatest barrier. RE has built these rural networks wonderfully in the last 5 years, Triumph needs to work a lot on this.

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th July 2023 at 20:56. Reason: Grammar.
DSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 20:53   #47
BHPian

I think a month or two should be enough for local accessories manufacturers to introduce their products.
Old 16th July 2023, 21:51   #48
BHPian

Will triumph 400 have an impact on INT 650 sales? What you guys think?
DrvSafe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 01:28   #49
BHPian

Keerthi mentioned that their JP Nagar Triumph dealership is opening shortly and the bike will be on display by the end of this month and be ready for test rides in the beginning of August.
HartBandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 07:54   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrvSafe View Post
Will triumph 400 have an impact on INT 650 sales? What you guys think?
No, its still the most affordable 650cc parallel twin. However, with respect to cross shoppers, yes. I myself was looking at the RE 650 and Adv 390X till the Triumph 400 price was announced. Let me tell you, the RE salesperson(4-5 showrooms) were the only guys who called back regularly and followed up. Both Triumph and KTM were indifferent.

Last edited by Senotrius : 17th July 2023 at 07:57.
Senotrius is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 10:18   #51
BHPian

The slide in the comparo that stood out THE MOST is this one.

Triumph Speed 400 Review-screenshot-20230717-9.08.06-am.png

Those numbers are not even in the same pincode. If you are in the mood for a lazy punt around, it is possible to do a 16 second 0-100 on the Triumph, not the other way around. Those roll-on acceleration times are better than even the mighty RE650s.

Just for the record, the Interceptor 650 does 0-100 about 0.3 seconds quicker than the Speed 400.

I looked at these numbers and then pulled up their torque curves again.

Triumph Speed 400 Review-meteor-350.jpeg
16 Lb-ft is roughly 21.7Nm. The RE350 gets there at ~1800 RPM.
18.2 Lb-ft is roughly 24.7Nm. The RE350 peaks at roughly that number.

Triumph Speed 400 Review-speed-400.jpeg
The Speed 400 at 2500 RPM makes about 27Nm of torque. That is more than the RE350 does anywhere across its rev range.

That 2500 RPM is just 700 revs more than what the RE requires to get a move on. Thats not too many revs. If in a sticky situation, 700 revs can be easily gained by slipping the clutch a bit.

The comparison with the 350s was actually more like a walkover. The real performance competition of this bike is actually the KTM 390s and the RE650s where it may lag behind somewhat. I hope someone does that one as soon as possible.

As I type this, the Motorinc review is out. And it kinda agrees with Varun Painter's assessment on the vibes. You can read it here: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/motor...member_desktop
antz.bin is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 10:20   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post
If Bajaj and Triumph can work something out to sell these through Bajaj outlets, sales will skyrocket..
Though this benefits the customer, this will be the beginning of conflict for collaborations in business. There will be issues w.r.to conflict of interest and cross selling. So, it's better they are retailed separately so that we get to enjoy great offerings for a long time.

As for distribution channel expansion, it will take time to reach T2 and T3 cities/towns. This can only be expedited by initial success and this seems to be confirmed with all the reports - pricing, reviews and proactive approach by the OEM.

It takes patience to succeed in India and Bajaj knows it very well. It should invest into taking the current collaboration in the right direction for a long profitable growth unlike the 4W global OEs who lost the way
Old 17th July 2023, 10:27   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshWish View Post
Triumph One (both Delhi and Gurgaon) have received 1500 odd bookings for Speed 400.
700 bookings alone has been received by Naraina branch.
Display units will arrive in first week of August 2023.
Going by the number of bookings, deliveries will start tentatively from September/October 2023.
Showroom is not aware of allotment or production planning as no information has been shared with them yet.
Speed delivery is going to Oct then its more waiting for guys like me who are interested in scrambler :(.

I have both booked with number less than 300 in queue (reserved on the day of UK launch), but will mostly cancel the speed booking in favor of Scrambler.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th July 2023 at 11:07. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Old 17th July 2023, 10:45   #54
DSC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
Though this benefits the customer, this will be the beginning of conflict for collaborations in business. There will be issues w.r.to conflict of interest and cross selling. So, it's better they are retailed separately so that we get to enjoy great offerings for a long time.
Agreed. I only hope Triumph manages to live up to after sales and spares requirements. Else it will be another Jawa in the making.
Old 17th July 2023, 10:57   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtx2 View Post
I have both booked with number less than 300 in queue (reserved on the day of UK launch), but will mostly cancel the speed booking in favor of Scrambler.
I have booked both 2 but definitely going in for the Scrambler as well unless the Yamaha R3 comes in at a good price.
Just wondering, my speed booking is below the 1st 10000 number. Can it be used by anyone intd in buying early? & if yes, happy to pass it on to someone here buying in Mumbai
Old 17th July 2023, 11:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post
At present, limited reach especially in rural areas will be the greatest barrier. RE has built these rural networks wonderfully in the last 5 years, Triumph needs to work a lot on this.
Correction: Its in the last 15 years.

The Classic 350 was launched in 2008 -> Resulted in month long waiting lists -> People realized they had a Golden Goose -> Boutique Dealerships cropped up in tier I-II-III Cities -> Lo behold..!! We have a behemoth after 15 Years..!!
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 12:24   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_blue View Post
I have booked both 2 but definitely going in for the Scrambler as well unless the Yamaha R3 comes in at a good price.
Just wondering, my speed booking is below the 1st 10000 number. Can it be used by anyone intd in buying early? & if yes, happy to pass it on to someone here buying in Mumbai
I checked with the Triumph dealer in Pune if my Speed booking can go to other city, as one of my friends who booked late wanted the 10k discount. They mentioned, intercity is not possible for sure.
gtx2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 13:11   #58

Thank you @Axe77 for a detailed, unbiased review of the much-awaited babies of Bajaj+Triumph! Your review has cleared most of the doubts and provided the most sought-after information on the actual performance of the bike.

I say unbiased because most online reviews are tilted towards/against a particular brand.

I am in love with this bike and hope it lives up to the high expectations! Given the fact that Bajaj-Triumph has proactively made efforts to address the pricing, after-sales service, etc at the beginning itself, the buyers shouldn't be confused on these fronts at least.
rhdongre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 14:35   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
As I type this, the Motorinc review is out. And it kinda agrees with Varun Painter's assessment on the vibes. You can read it here: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/motor...member_desktop
I think on vibes people have wildly varying views. Like we wrote in our review, the mirrors get blurry after 6,000 rpm (so that is a sign of vibes) and you can feel it more definitely in the handlebars post 7,000. So its not far off from their 6000 rpm vibes mark (as per their insta post). But I definitely did not find anything too bothersome before that mark.

Quoting from the Linkedin Post referenced above
Quote:
Middle of the road motorcycles hardly ever turn out to be memorable. As pleasant and nice as the Triumph Speed 400 is to ride calmly, it's a hardcore middle-path moto.

Agree with them that its a "middle of the road bike" but I don't believe that equates to un-memorable machines in the long run. Vehicles are what they enable and very often, a middle of road vehicle will 'enable' more kinds of journeys and therefore create more memories.

My 3GT is firmly a middle of the road car - with the normal 3 series being more driver oriented and an X3 being more SUV or higher. But the 3GT for me brought the best middle of the road compromise. It compromised acceptably on the regular sedan factor and gave an 'almost' go anywhere machine in touring terms. Never scramber any speed breakers, was an excellent daily drive, allowed off the beaten path touring and holiday drives - in short, the works. In the ultimate scheme of things, it is memorable in every sense of the word and helped create a bunch of lovely memories with its wide repertoire of abilities.

Same with my Tiger 800 in XRX guise - a middle of road product in some sense with its 19" front alloy. There's nothing I've been hesitant to do on that bike even though its not a full blown 21" spoke wheel set up nor is it a much sportier 17" front like the Multi. Today, I wouldn't look forward to take my 17" in front shod Multi to Rajmachi in monsoons - I would have not thought twice about taking the Tiger.

Middle of the path products can ROCK! Its just how you perceive and use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhdongre View Post
I say unbiased because most online reviews are tilted towards/against a particular brand.
Thank you for the kind words. There are a number of excellent reviews out there.

Its not like some of them are biased and we're not. I think we don't have an overt "comparo" element to our reviews so we don't come across as for or against any specific brand whereas some reviewers bring a comparo element even in their first ride reports. Its just an approach difference but I found most prominent reviewers at least (I didn't see most of the others) to have come out with fairly authentic reviews.

Where observations have differed it can perhaps be due to genuinely different benchmarks or opinions or acceptability thresholds on certain aspects from different individuals.
Axe77 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 15:00   #60
BHPian

With regards to the vibes, I think we need to assess on our own test rides whether we can live with what this has or not. Vibration tolerance is personal and totally depends on your own benchmarks.

From the reviews, there is not much else worrisome in this bike. Most things seem to be in order.
Power
Torque
Weight
Low end torque
Suspension and handling
Gearbox
Quality of workmanship
Attention to detail
Price
Features (par for the price)

It's next to impossible to get all of the above right, Triumph and Bajaj have done a good job here.

Whether it ends up in my garage ultimately depends on my own assessment. And I agree, being middle of the road between the Classic 350 and the Duke 390 and nailing 90% of both ends of the spectrum is no easy feat.

I could never consider the RE350/411s because they were way too slow and heavy. Didn't get the KTM/RE650s because by the time I could afford one, I no longer needed one for daily use. The middle of the road Speed 400 addresses both concerns. It's not so slow and heavy that I wouldn't consider it and it is not so expensive that I would consider it wasteful for purely liesure use.
antz.bin is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks