Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:07   #1
BHPian

Royal Enfield Taurus diesel

Royal Enfield Taurus diesel has been here for some time.But may be because i haven't noticed about it only recently did i came to know about such a bike.i would like to know about it's engine specfications,power etc.Is it still around here?Is anyone interested in rendering some information??

Here are it's pics,found it at traffic police station,tvm

crazybiker46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

The correctness of what is written below depends on my memory, and I am not sure of it myself

1. Its a Greaves Lorbardani Pumpset Engine.
2. 345 cc
3. around 7 hp
4. 70+ kmpl
5. used to be exported to germany
6 another locally made bike was called Sooraj
7. vibrates like crazy and heats up a lot
8 can overtake most overloaded trucks on the highway and thats it
9 top speed in the range of 80 kmph
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Interested in diesel bikes?
Find out more at DieselBike.net The Original Diesel Motorcycle website.

You can find many other Royal Enfield based diesel bikes here.
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:27   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
Here are it's pics,found it at traffic police station,tvm
It ended up with a traffic police?

Have seen this bike few times in TVM.
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:45   #5
BHPian

Thought these ones were made (or modified as the case may be) at Coimbatore,on Royal Enfield chasis,any body can clarify?
Old 2nd January 2008, 12:48   #6
BHPian

I have seen lot of them in Puttur, Sullia and Mangalore belt during early 90's. It used to give a mileage of 70+ kms per litre of diesel. My uncle owned one and sold it way back in 2001.
Old 2nd January 2008, 13:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Earlier, diesel bullets used to be aftermarket modifications(coimbi or elsewhere) - that is when RE thought that they needed a pie of it as well and came out with the TAURUS.

6.5bhp, about 90kph topspeed if you are lucky - acceleration figures are a closely guarded secret, but sources reveal that one TAURUS actually did a 0-60 run in two days flat.

One of my schoolmates used to own one, sometimes it was a bitch to start(cold) and your shoulders were known to come out of its sockets due to excessive vibration. Backpain was a guarantee(even printed on the brochure ).

My Uncle owned a Sooraj as well, similiar story. But he used to get a mileage of 90kpl(later detuned to 70kpl) on a litre of diesel which used to cost something like 5 bucks or so.
kuttapan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2008, 13:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
6.5bhp, about 90kph topspeed if you are lucky - acceleration figures are a closely guarded secret, but sources reveal that one TAURUS actually did a 0-60 run in two days flat.
Yeah, it would achieve 90kmph if you were on a 45-degree gradient with a 40kmph tail wind behind you!!

But yes, they were very noisy, seriously slow but gave out great FE! I still remember that like it's said that you can't mistake the thump of a Bullet for anything else, you certainly couldn't mistake the rattle of a Bullet Diesel for anything else
Old 2nd January 2008, 13:12   #9
BANNED

Use to see lots in my native mostly used by villegers and business people who use to runs a lot, even a bit better and refined compared to this bike one guy use to make Diesel bike from Mini Bullets Chasis and body(Enfield's 200 CC 2 stroke bike) by replacing the engine.Name of place is Rajnandgaon its in CG state.
Also if you are riding these bikes with light colored clothes then even God will not save your clothes from black spots all around.

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 2nd January 2008 at 13:14.
Old 2nd January 2008, 13:50   #10
Team-BHP Support

having seen one of these bikes, I asked my mechanic about it.
He dismissed it saying that since I don't drink I would not be able to ride it.

The only way according to him was to get so drunk that the vibrations and noise don't make a difference to you.

I don't agree with his opinion, but I don't argue with my mechanic.
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:11   #11
BHPian

Used to see some of these in my college days (early/mid nineties) in Kerala.. I know for sure that they were proscribed by doctors. Lots of noise, vibration and smoke
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
having seen one of these bikes, I asked my mechanic about it.
He dismissed it saying that since I don't drink I would not be able to ride it.

The only way according to him was to get so drunk that the vibrations and noise don't make a difference to you.

I don't agree with his opinion, but I don't argue with my mechanic.
HAHAHA

Thants a good one!!
Proxima is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

I found this on the motorcycle Hall of Shame:

Now here is something that is surely the result of mind altering drugs, The Enfield Robin. Take one Madras built Enfield and throw away the engine, after all, it is far too powerful. Then take a single cylinder, Japanese made, Robin, a diesel no less, and lob that in the unsuspecting frame instead. Result? A small bike that sounds like a London Taxi, but does inter galactic mileages to a tank full of fuel. Sound good? Oh, the performance. Ah yes, well, lets just say that the Enfield Robin makes the performance of a road roller seem frisky in comparison. Now I can't see the point here at all. I suppose if you live in the Outer Hebrides or some back water in Alaska, it may have it's uses. But on our overcrowded roads, you really need something with at least a hint of performance. Never mind that, what about the hassle at filling stations? "Oi, dickhead, you're putting diesel in your bike" etc. Some people are forever looking for answers to questions that no one in their right mind would think of asking. I don't know, they tell me that you can achieve wonders with a few tablets and a bit of therapy these days, then along comes someone who really is away with the pixies.

The Enfield Diesel was sold as the Robin in Europe and came with a Japanese diesel from Fuji.

Obviously Enfield (Eicher) thought that the Greaves pumpset will do for us Indians.

Read this too: Diesel Motorcycles

Last edited by Steeroid : 2nd January 2008 at 14:30.
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:30   #14
BHPian

I know of one such bike in Hyderabad, who used to come to my Bullet mech only to get work done on his gear box, for his engine he actually went to a pump mechanic
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

I have seen quite a few of them in my hometown (Gujarat), I had two friends during school days who used to ride, one was a son of police sub inspector and they had about 4 bullets (one of them was diesel - better condition) another guy was in milk business and i remember he used to go deliver milk on that diesel. He never used to switch off the engine while delivering milk or even while pitstops when we are going together, used to give 70+ kmpl so he never bothered about it..

As on date, you would see a lots and lots of Greaves engines run by Open Rikshaw (Chhakada Rikshaw) in Gujarat Rural areas. I never miss to ride that one when I go on vacation once in a year at least..

Last edited by Ketan : 2nd January 2008 at 14:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks