Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2017, 21:30   #181
BHPian

Re: The Best 4T Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
My Bajaj Discover 125T has 20W50 as recommended oil...

Now question:
- Is it necessary that 125T needs 20W50? (Or it just a Bajaj gimmick?)
- Where can I get fresh 20W50?
Got Motul 5100 couple of months ago and filled last weekend. Bike feels entirely in a different class!

To Do: Upgrade to Motul 7100 next time and see!
Old 28th November 2017, 22:29   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got Motul 5100 couple of months ago and filled last weekend. Bike feels entirely in a different class!

If you find such a significant difference in the 5100, you will be definitely amazed with the 7100. It's worth the money paid.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 09:58   #183
BANNED

The Best 4T Oil-oil-data-sheet.png

Hope this helps the decisive buyer.

Personally I'd any day opt for a higher flash point since long distance touring/commuting is my preferred means of motorcycling.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 12:05   #184
BHPian

We tend to disregard the viscosity index of a lubricant in its selection parameter. It's a lubricant performance differentiator. Especially when we consider Indian working environments and the ambient temperatures experienced by engines, the VI becomes all the more important in choosing the right oils.

Another important factor is the fluidity of the oil itself, ie how quickly does the oil reach vital friction zones in the machine. So a higher Viscosity Index oil like the Shell Advance AX7 with SAE grading as 10W40 will flow quicker in the engine (during cold starts) and will be better resistant to constant change in temperature and pressure. A quicker flowing oil will also dissipate heat faster than a slower flowing oil!

Last edited by Crankpin : 29th November 2017 at 12:07.
Old 30th November 2017, 09:44   #185
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
We tend to disregard the viscosity index of a lubricant in its selection parameter. It's a lubricant performance differentiator. Especially when we consider Indian working environments and the ambient temperatures experienced by engines, the VI becomes all the more important in choosing the right oils.

Another important factor is the fluidity of the oil itself, ie how quickly does the oil reach vital friction zones in the machine. So a higher Viscosity Index oil like the Shell Advance AX7 with SAE grading as 10W40 will flow quicker in the engine (during cold starts) and will be better resistant to constant change in temperature and pressure. A quicker flowing oil will also dissipate heat faster than a slower flowing oil!
A very valid point indeed but the reason(or belief) why I personally chose to disregard the same is considering the climatic conditions where I'd be using my motorcycle which never falls south of 20 degrees and at times peak over 40 degrees.

Also another point that spikes my curiosity is oil pressure, from what I've read the more viscous an oil is the more would be the oil pressure and more oil pressure would ideally ensure that oil reaches vital parts sooner, right?

Please do correct me if I'm doing something wrong here, as both my rides are prehistoric when it comes to engine design I blindly go with 20W50 grade with the highest flash point and maintain strict 2k drain intervals.

And another reason for my lack of trust in expensive oils is due to riding 750 kms single side twice i.e 1.5k kms on Motul 300v and experiencing burnt oil smells and roughness on my Discover 100 4G, drained it after the ride ended and this is what the oil looked like on draining;

The Best 4T Oil-dsc01755.jpg

I do understand that continuous use at high rpm's on smaller motors can wear down the oil sooner than expected but after this experience I've used cheaper mineral/pseudo-synthetic 20W50 grade oils which have fared well on the usual 2k drain interval pattern.

Strange isn't it?
Old 30th November 2017, 10:30   #186
BHPian

Higher oil pressure doesn't always mean faster distribution within. Oil flows much like "Capillary action" within the engine internals and here, the thinner oil has a tendency to move quicker through the channels as it faces less friction comparatively.

Now in hot like Delhi temperatures, a thinner oil ( say 10W30 or 40) will flow faster from the pump to the high-friction zones within and hence cool these areas faster than a 20W50. So, with a 10W40 (the W stands for winter), the oil flows similar to a 10-weight in cold to minus temperatures and protects like a 40-weight oil at hot temperatures.

The looser the clearances within, the higher the viscosity grade you have to have to maintain a film. But modern engines have tighter clearances so a thinner oil works best for such engines. Also, the fact is you can always run one viscosity grade lower with a quality synthetic than you can with conventional mineral oils.

Motul, personally speaking, has given me substandard performance in most of my bigger and smaller bikes. My FZ1, in which I used Motul 300V initially, suffered from a sticky clutch sometimes as the Motul oil (300V) turned out too thick for use in-spite of our hotter operating temperatures!

The moment I switched to a thinner Synthetic like Shell Ultra, the problems were gone! I ended up using Shell Ultra or Mobil 10W30 all throughout as it cooled the engine great, the engine ran smoother and the clutch was easy especially on manual non-hydraulic clutch bikes.

On the Bajaj Dukes, because the clearances were more, a thicker oil sometimes worked better. This also helped bring down the clatter which is so common on these bikes after say 10k kms.

Last edited by SDP : 30th November 2017 at 16:52. Reason: Please Edit, instead of typing one post after another
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 18:27   #187
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If you find such a significant difference in the 5100, you will be definitely amazed with the 7100. It's worth the money paid.
Changed to 7100 couple of months ago (2.5K+ kms done after oil change so far). Bike feel and esp. gear shifts have changed entirely.
With Bajaj's oil crack/break (for lack of better words..) at 1.7k; with 5100 I observed that ~2.5k. 7100 looks would hold on for another 1.5K.
In all, I never believed that all these oils changes would make difference in lowly Bajaj discovers. But, they do!!
Old 24th March 2019, 21:28   #188
BANNED

Ola Pulsar Folk!

Waxpol Force P 4T 20W50 1.2 Litre pack is available on Amazon for Rs. 228/-

The Best 4T Oil-waxpol.png

Waxpol Force P 4T 20W-50 API-SL (4 Stroke Engine Oil) - 1.2 L for Pulsar

Already ordered 3 bottles to save up on the Rs.40/- shipping charge.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 24th March 2019 at 21:29.
Old 21st February 2023, 07:59   #189
BHPian

Has anyone used the Valvoline Champ Xtra BT 15-50 oil on their motorcycles? I have acquired an Inazuma recently and since the harsh summers are looming (45+), I am a bit wary of the present oil it has. I am not a fast rider as such. But I drive non-stop for longer time at 80-85.

The Inazuma all along, was on a Shell Synthetic of the highest order but in the 10-40 range. The manual recommends 15-50 as an alternative. What should be the ideal choice?
Old 8th October 2023, 11:45   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Has anyone used the Valvoline Champ Xtra BT 15-50 oil on their motorcycles? I have acquired an Inazuma recently and since the harsh summers are looming (45+), I am a bit wary of the present oil it has. I am not a fast rider as such. But I drive non-stop for longer time at 80-85.

The Inazuma all along, was on a Shell Synthetic of the highest order but in the 10-40 range. The manual recommends 15-50 as an alternative. What should be the ideal choice?
I used the Castrol Power 1 Ultimate 10-40 but am not happy with it. The gear shifts aren't smooth. And so, I need to change it within 6 months. Not because I clocked distance, but because the Castrol looks to have broken down.

Should I go back to Shell or should I try Amsoil FS?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks