Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 11:57   #121
BHPian

Re: The best 4T oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Bought 1l of Shell Advance 4T Ultra 10W-40 (SL/MA2) for Rs.347
Great to hear that your bike is revving smoother than before. Do keep us updated if there is any difference in the way the clutch behaves now that you are using a 10W-40 grade oil.

Quote:
The bunk personnel said that the oil will last for 3k kms however the website mentions 5k. Not sure which one to follow.
Go with the majority! The website says 5K and so does the owner's manual!

Quote:
Another thing is that 1l was filled in but not sure if some more oil could go in since the oil window showed 3/4 full.
Yes, even after filling 1 litre oil, the level on my Discover 135 also shows 3/4th full when parked on a level surface. You can consider this as a reference level and ensure that the oil does not fall significantly below this mark. Never fill oil more than the specified quantity.

Last edited by Scarlet_Rider : 11th June 2013 at 11:58.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 12:08   #122
BHPian

I use Motul 3000 4T Plus 20W40 on my splendor and will stick to that.
Old 11th June 2013, 14:00   #123
BHPian

For my RTR eFi, I am running on fully synthetic oil for the past 20k odd kms of the 30k my bikes done.

Motul 300v FS is a gem of an oil. The bike literally sings with this oil. Another amazing option is the petronas sully synthetic oil which we unfortunately dont get anymore here.

My last oil change was after 8k kms with 300v, and yes, there around 800 ml oil when drained out. With the RTR one does not need to worry about the engine drinking or leaking oil.

cheers!
sai
Old 17th June 2013, 17:31   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Great to hear that your bike is revving smoother than before. Do keep us updated if there is any difference in the way the clutch behaves now that you are using a 10W-40 grade oil.
A week past the oil change and a couple of hundred kms down the line, the clutch seems to have been slightly smoothened out but not to a great extent. The notchy gear shift (with false neutral) if not engaged with certainty still exists.

However one thing that has surely improved is the driveability with the motor able to pull further in every gear before getting out of breadth. Also felt that there is an improvement in mileage though not tested out on absolute terms.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 16:35   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Folks,

I ride a Honda Stunner, 125CC. It has done around 16K kms and almost 5500 kms since its last oil change.

Little History: When the bike crossed about 4K kms, I switched to fully synthetic Castrol Power 1 Racing oil. Before this change, I was using the Honda engine oil (through the ASC). The bike runs very well with an astonishing average of 60-65 kmpl.
Now, its due for an oil change. I would like to know if there is a better option than the Castrol Power 1 Racing. Though, I find this oil very good, I would like to know if there is any better alternative available in similar price range. I think a litre of Castrol Power 1 Racing would cost about 800/-.

Thanks,
Saket
Old 30th June 2013, 19:13   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello Folks,

I ride a Honda Stunner, 125CC. It has done around 16K kms and almost 5500 kms since its last oil change.

Little History: When the bike crossed about 4K kms, I switched to fully synthetic Castrol Power 1 Racing oil. Before this change, I was using the Honda engine oil (through the ASC). The bike runs very well with an astonishing average of 60-65 kmpl.
Now, its due for an oil change. I would like to know if there is a better option than the Castrol Power 1 Racing. Though, I find this oil very good, I would like to know if there is any better alternative available in similar price range. I think a litre of Castrol Power 1 Racing would cost about 800/-.

Thanks,
Saket
Which grade are you looking at. If its xxW40 then you have shell advanced semi synthetic which is on par with synthetic in smoothness. Also costs just around 320 bucks. Depending on the city you may also get Motul 300v but its very hard to find in 40 grade.

Beware of Castrol . There are lots of fakes in the market including the fully synthetic one. I was shocked when my local lubricant guy showed me two cans of Castrol fully synthetic, one fake and other original, and an average Joe can not make out the difference. Since then its no Castrol for me . Better safe than sorry
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 05:57   #127
BHPian

I am currently using Motul 20w50 mineral oil on my reconditioned Avenger 200. After the reconditioning the bike has done about 600kms now. I usually change the oils myself. So-
1. Do I use mineral or semi-synth oil?
2. Any suggestions of specific oils during run in period?
3. Do I fill 1000ml or 1100ml or 1200ml of engine oil?
Old 1st July 2013, 11:12   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Which grade are you looking at. If its xxW40 then you have shell advanced semi synthetic which is on par with synthetic in smoothness. Also costs just around 320 bucks. Depending on the city you may also get Motul 300v but its very hard to find in 40 grade.

Beware of Castrol . There are lots of fakes in the market including the fully synthetic one. I was shocked when my local lubricant guy showed me two cans of Castrol fully synthetic, one fake and other original, and an average Joe can not make out the difference. Since then its no Castrol for me . Better safe than sorry
Hey Sagar,

Thanks for the post. As you said, lots of Castrol fakes in the market, however, I have always sourced form the exclusive distributor of castrol in our city, whom I know well, as I use Magnatec for my car too, which I prefer getting from him only. So, I should be safe on this front.

The Stunner likes 10w/30 as per the manual specs but I have been using 10/40 Power 1 Racing. I am open to get 10w/30 next time. Any recommendations?

Regards,
Saket

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
I am currently using Motul 20w50 mineral oil on my reconditioned Avenger 200. After the reconditioning the bike has done about 600kms now. I usually change the oils myself. So-
1. Do I use mineral or semi-synth oil?
2. Any suggestions of specific oils during run in period?
3. Do I fill 1000ml or 1100ml or 1200ml of engine oil?
Hello petrolhead_chn,

You have not posted the details of reconditioning done? If the pistons/ valves/ cylinder block, etc, were changed, then do not shift to synthetic oil until at least 1500-2000 kms.

Regarding the quantity, while draining and refill, a tad lesser quantity is needed, about 100 ml less than a fill after an engine rebuild. However, it is best to refer to the manual to see that how much quantity is needed while a refill. Else, fellow avenger owners will pour their help too.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 1st July 2013 at 11:13.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 11:50   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Sagar,

Thanks for the post. As you said, lots of Castrol fakes in the market, however, I have always sourced form the exclusive distributor of castrol in our city, whom I know well, as I use Magnatec for my car too, which I prefer getting from him only. So, I should be safe on this front.

The Stunner likes 10w/30 as per the manual specs but I have been using 10/40 Power 1 Racing. I am open to get 10w/30 next time. Any recommendations?

Regards,
Saket

In 10W30 , there is only one fully synthetic oil that i know of. Its Valvoline Synpower 4T 10W30. Just check the previous page in this thread for the pictorial details of the Valvoline oils.But i feel for Indian conditions 10W30 is very less, especially if you are stay in those areas where the summer temperatures go beyond 40 Celsius . I would recommend you to stick to 10W40 . If you are happy with the Castrol power 1 racing, then stick to it. Else other options are Petronas Sprinta 10W40 , Motul 300V 10W40(very difficult to find). If you are not very particular of fully synthetic then Shell advanced 10W40 semi synthetic is a very good option

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 1st July 2013 at 11:52.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 12:24   #130
BHPian

Guys,

I have been using Castrol activ 20w-40 for my Honda Unicorn 2007 model which has clocked 54K KMs till date. I am confused to choose the best oil for my bike. Having done 50K plus KMs I feel the harshness of the engine increasing. Can you suggest me the best engine oil for bikes with high mileage ?

I keep servicing my bike every 3 months.

Regards,
Vamsi
Old 1st July 2013, 15:20   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Guys,

I have been using Castrol activ 20w-40 for my Honda Unicorn 2007 model which has clocked 54K KMs till date. I am confused to choose the best oil for my bike. Having done 50K plus KMs I feel the harshness of the engine increasing. Can you suggest me the best engine oil for bikes with high mileage ?

Regards,
Vamsi
Hey Abhi,

I have been using Castrol Power 1 RACING, that is fully synthetic oil from Castrol and its a very decent oil. Lasts at least 6-6.5K kms on my bike which is mainly used for city commute. I recommend this oil to you, but the only deterrent is price, which is actually true for any fully synthetic; at about 800/- bucks for a litre.

Regards,
Saket
Old 1st July 2013, 17:48   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Abhi,

I have been using Castrol Power 1 RACING, that is fully synthetic oil from Castrol and its a very decent oil.
Thanks Sanket. Do you feel the performance increase on your bike after using Power 1 Racing ? I have heard a lot about Motul Synthetic, any feedback on that. My main concern is the harshness of the engine due to the aging.

I will choose between Power 1 racing and Motul based on the feedbacks.
Old 1st July 2013, 18:00   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sanket. Do you feel the performance increase on your bike after using Power 1 Racing ? I have heard a lot about Motul Synthetic, any feedback on that. My main concern is the harshness of the engine due to the aging.

I will choose between Power 1 racing and Motul based on the feedbacks.
Have never experienced Motul, but have read good things about it too. I would be frank with you on the performance part. I have NOT really experienced increased performance or enhanced power for which I can vouch about, but I the gearshift is really smooth since I shifted to this oil. For that I can REALLY feel the difference. As my bike returns a wonderful average of 60-65 kmpl in city, it means that the engine is well pampered by this oil. Also, as the drain interval is prolonged at about 6K kms which is at least 3 times (I changed at 2K while using Honda regular mineral oil), I think it finally works out to be fairly economical too. Further, saves the hassle of changing oils too frequently at 2K kms.
I think I will stick to synthetic oil for now for all the above factors.

For you, I would recommend that you use this oil once and see if the harshness reduces. Also, harshness can be due to other factors like worn out chain sprocket and many others too. BTW, what is your drain interval as of now?

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 1st July 2013 at 18:05. Reason: Adding reasons for harshness
Old 1st July 2013, 18:15   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Regards,
Vamsi
Why not shell ? What is the recommended Grade for Unicorn ?

You can try Shell AX-7 10W40 which is a semi synth or if you can afford it, get the shell Advance Ultra. It is a wonderful oil.
Old 1st July 2013, 18:59   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Also, harshness can be due to other factors like worn out chain sprocket and many others too. BTW, what is your drain interval as of now?
The chain sprocket was changed 2k kms ago and even the piston head and valves were changed 5 K kms back buddy. I change oils around 2.5 Km approx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
Why not shell ? What is the recommended Grade for Unicorn ?
Didn't think about shell at all. The recommended grade as per their website is SAE 10W30 MA.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks