Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2019, 13:25   #3046
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Subject: Replacing stock shocks

Hi all, has anyone replaced rear stock shocks of TBTS with Karizma ones? I read some reviews that it gives better riding comfort.
I am feeling the stock ones are really hard for my back, even at the softest setting.

Is it advisable and useful to go ahead with this change?

Please share your thoughts.
Old 20th July 2019, 16:19   #3047
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post

Hi all, has anyone replaced rear stock shocks of TBTS with Karizma ones? I read some reviews that it gives better riding comfort.
I am feeling the stock ones are really hard for my back, even at the softest setting.

1. I've owned a ZMA for close to 60k kms, and I'm currently helping restore one from scratch.

2. I currently own a Pulsar for over 40k kms.

Hence I say you're better off going for Endurance parts from Bajaj ASC than what Hero offers at literally more than twice the price, I literally say that from experience.

Plus we're getting said Endurance shocks from Bajaj for the current ZMA rebuild which I'm saying just so you know that I act before I preach.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 20th July 2019 at 16:22.
Old 20th July 2019, 16:40   #3048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Plus we're getting said Endurance shocks from Bajaj for the current ZMA rebuild which I'm saying just so you know that I act before I preach.
Thanks ashwinprakas! But which one will suit well for TBTS, considering its weight, length compatibility and riding comfort?
Old 21st July 2019, 01:16   #3049
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks ashwinprakas! But which one will suit well for TBTS, considering its weight, length compatibility and riding comfort?
That is for you to find out and us to know.

This is an online forum and unless any one of us furnishes proof to answer your query by providing pictures of an incognito motorcycle testing plant, I'd suggest you look for the facts and arrive at your own conclusions.

Anyways here are some facts.

1. Endurance suspensions are available in many lengths, from my experience here are two specifications, I've swapped and used on the same motorcycle(P220).

P220: 11 Inches.
P135: 13 Inches.

A measuring tape and some creepiness would help you out on this front.

2. Weight is not a prominent factor as you'd want it to be, though payload is, and even without checking the specs I have a good feeling that both MC's would have more or less the same payload and that is even if you opt for a pair of P135 shockers. Do check and let us know.

3. Riding comfort? Well that is really up to you to find out.

4. Rear suspensions have rubber bushes between their body and the mounting bolt, worst case scenario you'd have to get RE bushes and retrofit. Not much if a concern if you ask me, so basically you can fit any rear suspension on any motorcycle.

So that's that! Ride Safe.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 14:59   #3050
BHPian

Hi,

Need inputs on titanium exhaust wraps for my DS 500. Searched for few on amazon.in and realised its mostly fake.

Should I go for imported brands like DEI? Any authorised dealer for the same in Delhi?

-Saurabh
Old 18th August 2019, 08:45   #3051
BHPian

Quote:

I have got it replaced. I will share feedback on the experience after I run it for some time.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-img_20190803_1621132.jpg  

Old 19th August 2019, 17:33   #3052
BHPian

Not sure if this is the right thread.

Planning to gift a Classic 350 to my cousin since he likes my Classic a lot and takes it away on weekends. Mine is a 2016 model and has a decent thump to it, however I've noticed that the current ones are very quiet in terms of "thump". My query is, does the sound improve over a period of time (in terms of thump-ness)?

Thanks.
Old 19th August 2019, 18:36   #3053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resfeber View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread.

Planning to gift a Classic 350 to my cousin since he likes my Classic a lot and takes it away on weekends. Mine is a 2016 model and has a decent thump to it, however I've noticed that the current ones are very quiet in terms of "thump". My query is, does the sound improve over a period of time (in terms of thump-ness)?

Thanks.
"Thumpness" is a result of multiple factors.
1. Old Cast Iron engines have better sound because of the unique parameters of bore stroke and piston and cylinder dimensions.
2. There is catalytic converter in recent models(2016 ones included), built into the bend pipe coming out of the engine.
3. Mufflers (what is generally called silencers) have different designs, with baffles, with glass wool or free flow, which change the sound
4. Even a mud flap coming in the way of exhaust alters the sound
5. Carbon deposit occuring over period of time might contribute change in sound. However, I don't think for 4 stroke engines the carbon deposit would be appreciable

Experts might quote more reasons.

I don't think however, that latest model of same engine capacity (comparing both 350s or both 500s) should be much different than 2016 ones. Check if any exhaust system modifications done to the 2016 model.
rich_heart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 19:04   #3054
BHPian

Quote:
"Thumpness" is a result of multiple factors.
1. Old Cast Iron engines have better sound because of the unique parameters of bore stroke and piston and cylinder dimensions.
2. There is catalytic converter in recent models(2016 ones included), built into the bend pipe coming out of the engine.
3. Mufflers (what is generally called silencers) have different designs, with baffles, with glass wool or free flow, which change the sound
4. Even a mud flap coming in the way of exhaust alters the sound
5. Carbon deposit occuring over period of time might contribute change in sound. However, I don't think for 4 stroke engines the carbon deposit would be appreciable

Experts might quote more reasons.

I don't think however, that latest model of same engine capacity (comparing both 350s or both 500s) should be much different than 2016 ones. Check if any exhaust system modifications done to the 2016 model.
Appreciate your detailed inputs to my query. I do thoroughly understand that various factors come into play when it comes to sound. I personally do not like the loud ones but hate the quiet REs too. I test rode a new Classic 350 and it was rather quiet to my liking. Asked the sales-guy and he said he wasn't very sure but also that the sound would improve over a period of time and also depends on the way it is ridden.

I however wanted to know if anybody here has first hand knowledge on whether there are improvements in thumps or does it remains the same?

Thanks.
Old 20th August 2019, 22:52   #3055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resfeber View Post
Appreciate your detailed inputs to my query. I do thoroughly understand that various factors come into play when it comes to sound. I personally do not like the loud ones but hate the quiet REs too. I test rode a new Classic 350 and it was rather quiet to my liking. Asked the sales-guy and he said he wasn't very sure but also that the sound would improve over a period of time and also depends on the way it is ridden.

I however wanted to know if anybody here has first hand knowledge on whether there are improvements in thumps or does it remains the same?

Thanks.
My experience is that bikes which are ridden hard on a regular basis make more sound over time. Bikes which are ridden very softly actually tend to sound softer and smoother in the lower RPMs. There were changes to emission norms which also mute sounds.

I can attest to this as I and my friend bought the same bike (FZ16) only two months apart in 2008. We have all stock components and get the bike serviced regularly. Currently my bike has done 1L km and my friend's has about 70k km. I ride hard and my bike sounds a lot louder than my friend's bike after 10 years who usually never goes above 4k RPM. Also I notice that his bike does not like to rev above 6k RPM where as mine is happy to go all the way to the red line. His does bike has a better average of about 40 kmpl where as mine only returns 29 kmpl. The riding style does modify the characteristics of a bike as time progresses. This is true for all ICEs. I have even noticed this among school buses where the same vehicle (Swaraj Mazda) bought at the same time after 2 years sound and feel completely different.
Old 14th September 2019, 03:30   #3056
BHPian

Quote:
I have got it replaced. I will share feedback on the experience after I run it for some time.
(My 100th post )

Here is the feedback after running my TBTS, with rear stock shocks absorber replaced with Karizma ones, for a around 100+KMS, within city.

After initial hardness, I got the pre-tension set to the least position. The bike how handles very easily. Turnings are light and quicker. I get a feel as if I am riding a lighter bike. Due to the added ground clearance, I can now confidently lean more in right turns without fear of rear brake pedal scraping the ground; just a wee bit more. But still is an improvement.
On straights, like the NICE road in Bengaluru, I feel the bike accelerates effortlessly. I am no mechanical engineer and it might be stupid to tie it to the shock absorber change. It could just be a placebo effect
However I did feel rear wheel wavering little more with hard front braking. Again, can't be sure to tie up the reason. There could be multiple other factors. Have since started practicing to apply more rear brakes in emergency. It felt more rigid with the stock setup.

The ride has definitely become more comfortable. Enjoying it!

Last edited by rich_heart : 14th September 2019 at 03:41.
Old 14th September 2019, 13:28   #3057
BHPian

Hi,

Please be kind to answer following three questions-

1. I have six and half years old stock tyres on my Classic 350 which has run just 12,000, kms. Should I change them or wait till a particular mileage?

2. I am having some persisting problem with accelerator cable which gets stuck now and then, even after getting checked up. I want to change both the clutch cable and accelerator cable. Is there any prescribed mileage for replacing both these cables.? I live in hills and use clutch heavily.

3. I want to buy the exact handle bar and seat as shown in the attached picture. Please send me the links from where I can buy these. Also tell me if this seat can be fitted onto Classic 350 without any major modification

Thanks and regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-img_20190911_202157.jpg  

Old 14th September 2019, 15:15   #3058
BHPian

Quote:
1. I have six and half years old stock tyres on my Classic 350 which has run just 12,000, kms. Should I change them or wait till a particular mileage?

It is always best to change the tyres after 5 years, check if the tires have developed air cracks. I have changed my rear tyre @50K kms and my front tyre @80K kms after 7 years

Quote:
2. I am having some persisting problem with accelerator cable which gets stuck now and then, even after getting checked up. I want to change both the clutch cable and accelerator cable. Is there any prescribed mileage for replacing both these cables.? I live in hills and use clutch heavily.

I have changed my clutch cable often, as it was getting torn close to the clutch lever. This stopped once I installed the Hero Splendor cable, as both the cable are same

I would advice to just remove the cable lubricate it and fix once again.

Quote:
3. I want to buy the exact handle bar and seat as shown in the attached picture. Please send me the links from where I can buy these. Also tell me if this seat can be fitted onto Classic 350 without any major modification
https://www.amazon.in/GOLSM-Handle-H...453255&sr=8-28
This may come close to the one you asked for, the seats seems to be like from thunderbird. If you have a good mechanic, they will fix it. But needs some modifications as it wont be a direct fit.
.HEM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 11:04   #3059
BHPian

Post reading thread on this forum, I had shifted to Motul 300V 15W50 a year ago on my Desert Storm. Since then I have done a Ladakh trip and a ride to few parts in Spiti in different tranches with this oil in engine (replaced oil before each trip)

Must say, the engine has been butter smooth and I never felt the need to top-up during both the trips except during my ride back from Chitkul in May this year, since the oil level was slightly low.

Off late, I am on the lookout for engine oil for my bike and have been reading/watching extensively reviews of Liqui Moly performance pack which includes LIQUI MOLY 20597 Motorbike Engine Flush Shooter, LIQUI MOLY 2555 Motorbike 15W-50 4T Street Synthetic Technology Engine Oil, LIQUI MOLY 1580 Motorbike Oil Additive and LIQUI MOLY 7822 Motorbike T Shooter (fuel system cleaner)

Have been searching for comparison videos/threads for Motul 300V vs Liquidations Moly but could not find much on the internet/on this tread. Apologies if the same has been discussed here before. Has anyone used the latest Liqui moly products and any reviews for the same would help me make a prudent decision. My bike Odo currently reads 13.5k and its 3 years old.

Thanks and Cheers!
Saurabh
Old 8th October 2019, 21:28   #3060
Distinguished - BHPian

I haven't used Liquid Moly motorcycle oil but I do have a definite opinion about using any "Engine Flush" of any kind other than using new oil to flush out one of the new Royal Enfield motorcycles like the Himalayan, the 650 twins and the UCE's. DON'T.

There are several areas in these engines which don't drain completely and these will trap some of the flushing fluid. This trapped "flushing fluid" will contaminate the new oil.
Think of it this way. Would you want to flush your engine with kerosene or diesel fuel and leave 250 ml of it in your engine to mix with your new high quality, high priced, new motor oil? I wouldn't.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 8th October 2019 at 21:30.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks