Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2009, 17:41   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Ahhh great... so the 4000 is semi-synth, and must be cheaper. So mebbe I can use that. Hope I can find it somewhere before my Jex X runs out. I'm scared of buying it at random places... for obvious reasons.

Are you sure Motul 5100 is 20W40??? I see on the net that it has a different viscocity?!

Btw, I just saw - the 2 Jet X bottles whose pics you have posted have a black strip instead of a hologram strip. According to Castrol, the seal must have a hologram. Are you sure you aren't using spurious stuff??
Yes, the Petronas 4000 retails for something like 250. Its better than buying Jettx for sure.

I'm definitely using the 20W-40 Motul 5100. I saw the bottle at the garage.

Anyway, I have returned those 2 bottles of Jettx to the guy I bought them from since I bought the Petronas. I don't think those were fakes. It used to make the bike much smoother than the Super TT.
Old 25th April 2009, 17:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

Cool... 1 lt bottle of Jet X, 2007 stock costs Rs. 200. So the Petronas should be worth it for Rs. 250... if its really better.

Well, just be v careful with Castrol products in future. As per the company rep., the outer seal should have a hologram, batch no & serial no on cap should match the one on bottle. And deface bottle/can, destroy seal etc., before discarding.
Old 25th April 2009, 18:05   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cool... 1 lt bottle of Jet X, 2007 stock costs Rs. 200. So the Petronas should be worth it for Rs. 250... if its really better.

Well, just be v careful with Castrol products in future. As per the company rep., the outer seal should have a hologram, batch no & serial no on cap should match the one on bottle. And deface bottle/can, destroy seal etc., before discarding.
The Petronas is available for Rs. 170 if you buy old stock from the distributor. So, its a much better deal than Jettx.
Old 25th April 2009, 18:10   #49
Senior - BHPian

^^^Thanks mate. Need to find a Petronas dealer now...
Old 26th April 2009, 11:33   #50
BHPian

Motul Motomix is just like any other normal oil, dont base your Motul experience on that oil.

Go through a bottle of Motul 800 offroad and then you would not want to go back to any other oil.
Old 26th April 2009, 12:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Motul Motomix is just like any other normal oil, dont base your Motul experience on that oil.

Go through a bottle of Motul 800 offroad and then you would not want to go back to any other oil.
Th Motomix is definitely a normal mineral oil but its better than the Super TT from Castrol for sure.

The 800 is too expensive. It can't be that much better than the Petronas 5000 to justify its price. It certainly doesn't make sense using it in a bike that is being ridden everyday.
Old 26th April 2009, 12:43   #52
BHPian

I was never particular about 2T oil until I tried Jettx in my 2000 model TVS Suzuki Samurai. I used to fill up whatever the petrol bunk guys had in stock. My bike showed a noticeable improvement after I filled Jettx. Smoother and less smoke. Since then, I have tried to stick to Jettx. On the occasions where I have to do an emergency top-up and Jettx is nowhere in sight, I am forced to use other oils (don't remember the names, though). Then I do notice more roughness and smoke output from the bike. My bike has done 40,000+ km. and the engine has never been opened up. Luckily, the shop where I buy spares keeps stock of original Jettx (can has proper hologram). Some time ago, Castrol introduced some "New Improved Formula" type Jettx. The shopguy insisted that I try it, though it was around 220/- a litre. I did, and the performance was even better than the old Jettx. Do check if you're using the old or new Jettx too. That also makes a difference.
Old 26th April 2009, 15:35   #53
Senior - BHPian

^^^Seems you are comparing Jet X with old PSU oil brands. They used to be pathetic... just great for turning your bike into a smoke bomb! Jet X was definitely better than those; and pricier too. Now there are a few other options... and even PSU brands like BPCL's MAK 2T have improved their formulations. Even the TVS company engg. recommended that to me sometime back. I never tired it of course, because I doubted it was worth the change... and I don't like to mix oils just to try out. So I don't know how it compares with Jet X, but they have definitely improved their formulatons.

And btw, Jet X smokes noticeably more than some other brands I'v used in the past... so must be leaving more deposits in the engine too.

Around which year did this new formula Jet X appear? My latest bottle is dated 5/2008... wonder if thats the new one...?

Last edited by Raccoon : 26th April 2009 at 15:36.
Old 26th April 2009, 17:41   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Some time ago, Castrol introduced some "New Improved Formula" type Jettx. The shopguy insisted that I try it, though it was around 220/- a litre. I did, and the performance was even better than the old Jettx. Do check if you're using the old or new Jettx too. That also makes a difference.
I topped up with the "New" Jettx today, and the can reads Castrol Jettx Power 1. Actually, it costs around 275/- a litre, and this is the oil I prefer to use. If I understand right, Jettx Power 1 is an enhanced formulation.
Old 26th April 2009, 17:58   #55
Senior - BHPian

^^^My 5/2008 bottle reads Power 1 Jet X too. So I guess its the new thing? But Rs. 275 a litre?? Mine is Rs. Rs. 118 for 500 ml.
Old 27th April 2009, 05:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
I topped up with the "New" Jettx today, and the can reads Castrol Jettx Power 1. Actually, it costs around 275/- a litre, and this is the oil I prefer to use. If I understand right, Jettx Power 1 is an enhanced formulation.
Quote:
^^^My 5/2008 bottle reads Power 1 Jet X too. So I guess its the new thing? But Rs. 275 a litre?? Mine is Rs. Rs. 118 for 500 ml.
If you guys have noticed, the pictures I have posted are also of "Jettx Power 1". Those bottles are from 2007.

I have a question for all of you that use 2T oil. How many kms does 1 liter of oil last you? My mech said it will last me around 400-500 so lets see. When I got the bike done up, I also installed new meters so it started from 1 km. I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Last edited by straight6 : 27th April 2009 at 05:58.
Old 27th April 2009, 15:04   #57
Senior - BHPian

400-500 km/lt??? Can't be! I can't give you a precise figure, but mine lasts much longer than that. My Shogun was hardy being used between around 2004 - 2008 (approx.)... I just remember pouring in 500 ml bottle of Jet X in that period... so could not test the consumption.

Even the Shogun manual states 1,200 km/lt (average). I believe mine has always lasted longer than this. When my bike was newer, I used to wonder if there is something wrong with the pump. I even brought this to the notice of the ASC... but they said we can't do anything about it... leave it as is. But as its done about 20,000 km as of now... I guess the pump must be doing its job.

Dosen't the RX manual state the approx. oil usage?

Last edited by Raccoon : 27th April 2009 at 15:10.
Old 27th April 2009, 15:47   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
400-500 km/lt??? Can't be! I can't give you a precise figure, but mine lasts much longer than that. My Shogun was hardy being used between around 2004 - 2008 (approx.)... I just remember pouring in 500 ml bottle of Jet X in that period... so could not test the consumption.

Even the Shogun manual states 1,200 km/lt (average). I believe mine has always lasted longer than this. When my bike was newer, I used to wonder if there is something wrong with the pump. I even brought this to the notice of the ASC... but they said we can't do anything about it... leave it as is. But as its done about 20,000 km as of now... I guess the pump must be doing its job.

Dosen't the RX manual state the approx. oil usage?
Even I thought that's too less but my bikes ported now so I'm guessing it will consume more fuel and oil. Prajeep had told me that his bike is giving around 800 kms to a liter and his bike is ported more than mine.

I usually ride at night when the roads are not crowded. The faster you ride, the higher amount of oil you burn. I'm not exceeding 45km/h right now so I guess it will last longer now than once run in is complete and I start riding hard. I'll give an update once this oil is almost over.

I don't have the manual with me. If anyone here has it please tell us what it says.

Last edited by straight6 : 27th April 2009 at 15:50.
Old 27th April 2009, 16:11   #59
BHPian

I have been using Idemitsu on my RX-100 since two months. Earlier it used to be MAK 2T by Bharat Petroleum. One question - why are some 2T oils green in colour and some brown. Any significance?
Old 27th April 2009, 16:50   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Even I thought that's too less but my bikes ported now so I'm guessing it will consume more fuel and oil. Prajeep had told me that his bike is giving around 800 kms to a liter and his bike is ported more than mine.

I usually ride at night when the roads are not crowded. The faster you ride, the higher amount of oil you burn. I'm not exceeding 45km/h right now so I guess it will last longer now than once run in is complete and I start riding hard. I'll give an update once this oil is almost over.

I don't have the manual with me. If anyone here has it please tell us what it says.
True... recently went on a high speed highway run with avg. speed around 80 kmph. Noted a faster oil level drop. Guess it drinks very li'l oil in city... even if its for the same distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_is_here View Post
I have been using Idemitsu on my RX-100 since two months. Earlier it used to be MAK 2T by Bharat Petroleum. One question - why are some 2T oils green in colour and some brown. Any significance?
So how did you find these 2 oils? Idemitsu is hard to find... seen it just once in a shop.

As for the colour... it depends on the dye and is just for visual appeal. No other significance. Still, I'd say lighter colours are more "useful" in the sense that if the oil is adulterated with used oil, its easier to tell the difference. But now it seems they even process the old oil to make it look newer... so its not a sure shot method.

Last edited by Raccoon : 27th April 2009 at 16:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks