Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 04:44   #61
Senior - BHPian

Just found out today that the RX-135 is supposed to give 1400 kms on a liter of oil. I'm guessing that I'll get around 1000 because I'm running in and not revving the engine at all.

I always thought that the colour is usually given so that you can check the level of oil through the window.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:06   #62
Senior - BHPian

^^^Well, for that I guess a darker colour would be more useful. But I'v seen almost colourless oils also... like those from Servo. Been a long time since I saw those... don't know if they have changed the colour now.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Well, for that I guess a darker colour would be more useful. But I'v seen almost colourless oils also... like those from Servo. Been a long time since I saw those... don't know if they have changed the colour now.
If I remember correctly, Servo and Mak, both are green in colour.

Last edited by straight6 : 28th April 2009 at 15:22.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:13   #64
BHPian

I have found IDEMISTU useful. It has dramatically changed the performance of my RX-100 and has made it ultra smooth. I directly introduce oil in the petrol tank, so the effect is instantly distinct.

I have'nt tried Castrol, but was told by a Yamaha enthusiast to stay away from it. Also, wanted to clear some misconception about the white smoke-

The 2 stroke vehicles should smoke during throttle. It's the presence of oil that causes it. If it is'nt smoking as it should be, you could be in trouble. Also, smoke does not always mean pollution. Petrol car emission is far greater dangerous (although invisible) than black diesel smoke as it is nothing but carbon particles which eventually settle down and they do not mix with air. Ref: Vehicle emission websites

Straight 6 - Max is amber in colour.

Last edited by star_is_here : 28th April 2009 at 15:15.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:48   #65
Senior - BHPian

By amber, I'm guessing you mean golden. The only 2 coulours I have ever seen in 2T oils are green and golden.
Old 28th April 2009, 16:04   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
If I remember correctly, Servo and Mak, both are green in colour.
Servo must have changed the colour. MAK is greenish... I used their sachets to oil the air filter element.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_is_here View Post
I have found IDEMISTU useful. It has dramatically changed the performance of my RX-100 and has made it ultra smooth. I directly introduce oil in the petrol tank, so the effect is instantly distinct.

I have'nt tried Castrol, but was told by a Yamaha enthusiast to stay away from it. Also, wanted to clear some misconception about the white smoke-

The 2 stroke vehicles should smoke during throttle. It's the presence of oil that causes it. If it is'nt smoking as it should be, you could be in trouble. Also, smoke does not always mean pollution. Petrol car emission is far greater dangerous (although invisible) than black diesel smoke as it is nothing but carbon particles which eventually settle down and they do not mix with air. Ref: Vehicle emission websites

Straight 6 - Max is amber in colour.
Dude, I very well know that 2 strokers are smokers! But the issue is how much! I'v seen a very wide variation. When my bike was newer I was using Mitsubushi (Tide Water Oil). It was the best... and visible smoke was close to zero!! On the other hand smoke from most PSU brands was the worst! Castrol Super TT was a close second.

For me the ther most important factor is that the oil should leave minimal residue. I dont' want sloppy mechanics messing the engine/exhaust/paintwork for decarbonising it.

While I haven't done a comparative test, smoke from 2 strokers is really bad... try tailing a smoking 2 stroke bike; or better still a rickshaw... can make you feel almost groggy!! The rickshaws are by far the worst. I'v seen many of them buying "loose" oil from oil shops. In that sense its good that smokers are no longer in production.

Is Idemitsu a semi-synthetic? Would be nice if you could post pics of both side of the bottle.

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th April 2009 at 16:09.
Old 29th April 2009, 02:52   #67
Senior - BHPian

Rickshaws use "Lal Ghoda" 2T oil . Can you imagine the quality of that?
Old 29th April 2009, 09:46   #68
BHPian

What to use for a Suzuki Shogun ?

Hi Team,

I am in the process of restoring my Shogun (1997), I've used Castrol TT in the past however no synthetic so far.
Now that I am replacing most of the parts in the engine so what oil should I go for ?
Old 29th April 2009, 14:05   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurpalav View Post
Hi Team,

I am in the process of restoring my Shogun (1997), I've used Castrol TT in the past however no synthetic so far.
Now that I am replacing most of the parts in the engine so what oil should I go for ?
If you're not porting the bike, you should go with oils like Yamalube or the Motul Motomix, Yamalube will be easier to get.
Old 29th April 2009, 14:49   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lal Ghoda is at least a brand! The "loose oil" could be just about anything...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurpalav View Post
Hi Team,

You can also consider Gulf Oil, Idemitsu, Shell, etc.
Old 29th April 2009, 14:53   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
You can also consider Gulf Oil, Idemitsu, Shell, etc.
Those 3 are not easily available in Bombay.
Old 29th April 2009, 15:16   #72
Senior - BHPian

^^^Just go to the company's website, get the contact details of Marketing department/Regional office/helpline or whatever... they will tell you where you can get it. Some may even offer free home delivery, if dealer is far. Shell will be available at their petrol bunks too.

In my experience Gulf Oil was very responsive... followed by Tide Water Oil (Yes they have 2t too).
Old 29th April 2009, 15:35   #73
Senior - BHPian

The Gulf Power Trac is a synthetic 2T oil. I would only be interested in that one. I'm going to check where I can get that one from.
Old 29th April 2009, 15:41   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's HP LAAL GHODA - LAAL GHODA is the brand of HPCL, so now you can imagine the quality of it after knowing it is a brand of HPCL.

They also have HP Thanda Raja - Radiator Coolant with Anti Freeze & Anti Corrosive Properties

Last edited by gowda79 : 29th April 2009 at 15:45.
Old 29th April 2009, 15:45   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
That's HP LAAL GHODA - LAAL GHODA is the brand of HPCL, so now you can imagine the quality of it after knowing it is a brand of HPCL
I don't even rate Mak and Servo in the "better oils" so it doesn't matter. All rickshaw guys are looking for it so I guess its the cheapest oil you can get.

Btw, are you saying its good or bad?

Last edited by straight6 : 29th April 2009 at 15:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks