Old 3rd May 2009, 15:54   #91
BHPian

dont worry so much man . are u running a drag setup ? lol
Old 3rd May 2009, 16:09   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
dont worry so much man . are u running a drag setup ? lol

no but my running in period is over. Need to start using synthetic 2t asap!

it took hell lots of effort to rebuild a dead bike so i can't take any chance
Synthetic oil is the only thing that will save my engine !
Old 3rd May 2009, 16:47   #93
Senior - BHPian

Castrol definitely rips people off.
Old 3rd May 2009, 19:10   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ok found this link . check it out :

http://www.7thgear.net/7thGear/Porta...il%20specs.pdf

and here is the full monty .

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/2T_EV_LIST.pdf

This is a real eye opener ! Except for Motul all the other oils fall in the FC bracket of JASO . From Jettx to a Mak 2t or HP 2T !
all the indian mineral oils or even the semi synth are of the same spec . I think any standard indian 2t mineral oil is good enough for a street ride even if its ported with a pipe . I dont see the sense in paying in excess of Rs150 for a supposedly better oil when i can get the same spec oil in a different brand for 100 bucks !
I don't think its half as simple as that! Just because an oil carries the same API/JASO spec does not mean they are the same! But problem is its v difficult for us to know without testing. We can only observe how it feels in the engine, check for smoke, spark plug deposits, etc.

Actually, I feel it would be v helpful if long term users post data about how long their engine lasted without any rebuilds/parts replacement with a particular brand. The distance done without a decarb would also help. This will of course be a pretty 'crude' way of testing, but it could still help.

About the new JASO FD spec... does anybody know any oil available in India that meets/exceeds this spec? I haven't seen any FD oil yet. Even the higher priced (or should I say overpriced?) ones like Jex X continue with the FC spec (though they now mention it exceeds it).

Last edited by Raccoon : 3rd May 2009 at 19:11.
Old 3rd May 2009, 20:05   #95
Senior - BHPian

I intend to use the Petronas regularly from now on. I'm thinking of buying a carton or atleast a 1 year supply of it.
Old 3rd May 2009, 20:30   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I would say its similar in performance as a mineral oil but, its cheaper. The distributor is in Bombay.

Petronas distributors are only available in Bombay and Delhi. If your bike is not ported there is no need to go synthetic. Up to semi synthetic is enough. If you're ever coming here let me know.

Here are details for the Regional Manager of Motul. He's a very helpful guy. He would be able to connect you with someone in Pune for Motul.

Mr. Preetam Goswami
+91 9920753582
preetamg@alsl.net
Have just mailed him. Hope I get a response.
Old 3rd May 2009, 21:05   #97
BHPian

thats exactly what those articles say raccoon ! and thats exactly what im saying . All the oils in India :
Castrol 2T , Castrol SuperTT , Castrol Jettx , HP Racer , Mak , Shell , Motul Motomix , Yamalube , etc all claim to exceed JASO FC requirements but none other than Motul Ester , Motul 800 ( Off road , Road Race ) premix and Petronas Sprinta 5000 who claim FD status . So i think uve got ur answer to " Which amongst the following oils are the best Castrol 2T , Castrol SuperTT , Castrol Jettx , HP Racer , Mak , Shell , Motul Motomix , Yamalube , etc ? "
Answer : None.

I found those articles pretty informative hope u found it the same
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:00   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Have just mailed him. Hope I get a response.
You should just call him, He'll give you the number to someone in Pune who has the stuff. Don't wait for emails.
Old 4th May 2009, 14:42   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thats exactly what those articles say raccoon ! and thats exactly what im saying . All the oils in India :
Castrol 2T , Castrol SuperTT , Castrol Jettx , HP Racer , Mak , Shell , Motul Motomix , Yamalube , etc all claim to exceed JASO FC requirements but none other than Motul Ester , Motul 800 ( Off road , Road Race ) premix and Petronas Sprinta 5000 who claim FD status . So i think uve got ur answer to " Which amongst the following oils are the best Castrol 2T , Castrol SuperTT , Castrol Jettx , HP Racer , Mak , Shell , Motul Motomix , Yamalube , etc ? "
Answer : None.

I found those articles pretty informative hope u found it the same
Dude, what I ment is which oil is best amongst amongst the ones in the market. Like for eg. both Super TT and JetX have the same rating... but Jet X is better!

I'm surprised... hasn't anybody tired Gulf 2t? I'm tempted to try it... after using their 4t oil in my CBZ-X. I'm tempted to use their 4t oil in my gun's gearbox too... in place of the Castrol CRB I'v been using till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
You should just call him, He'll give you the number to someone in Pune who has the stuff. Don't wait for emails.
I will call him shortly if I don't recieve a reply. The Jet X in my tank will be good for few more days/weeks... so no immediate hurry.
Old 4th May 2009, 14:59   #100
BHPian

ok a slight correction on my part . Petronas Sprinta 5000 is not JASO FD but JASO FC .

Rite now the only oil available in India that is explicitly JASO FD spec is Shell Advance . Check out the site for more details .

Shell Advance 2 Stroke Engine Oil - United Kingdom

or

2 Stroke

Motul tends to equate Motul 800 under the API system which gives it a TC standard . I am yet to understand what exactly the API grade system is . They do not grade the 800 fully syth road race or off road in JASO standards or i havnt stumbled across any as of yet . Those who use Motul 800 and have their bottles can probably read what is written on it an if it mentions JASO standards .

Motul 710 Synthetic 2T oil however is API TC , JASO FD and ISO L EGD compliant . Seems the JASO FD is a relatively new standard . ISO L EGD certification would also mean it is JASO FD compliant according to what ive read so far .

heres the link for Motul

MOTUL 800 Off Road 2 Stroke Oil 1 L » QUADCRAZY ATV Parts and Outdoor Gear

some interesting statistics of Motul 800 2T Factory Line Off Road vs Petronas Sprinta 5000 2T

Motul 800 Factory Line Off Road

Characteristics Value

Colour Red
Density @ 20°C (68°F) ASTM D1298 0.911
Kinematic Viscosity
@ 40°C (104°F) ASTM D445 120.2 mm²/s
@ 100°C (212°F) ASTM D445 15.5 mm²/s

Viscosity index ASTM D2270 135
Flash point ASTM D92 252°C / 485°F

link : http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/MOTUL/800-2T-Factory-Line-Off-Road-8371-(GB).pdf

Petronas Sprinta 5000

Characteristics Value

Colour Green
Density @15 °C, kg/l 0.889
Pour Point, °C -21
Flash Point, °C 110
Kinematic Viscosity, cSt
@ 40 °C 75.5
@ 100 °C 11.9
Viscosity Index 154 ASTM

source : PETRONAS Lubricants - Motorcycle Oil

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 4th May 2009 at 15:08.
Old 4th May 2009, 15:03   #101
Senior - BHPian

The Shell you have mentioned here is not available in India. Check the Shell India site.

Shell in India - Shell Advance - Products

Last edited by straight6 : 4th May 2009 at 15:10.
Old 4th May 2009, 15:25   #102
BHPian

here is the shell in india site .
Shell in India - Shell Advance - Products

The oil specifically Shell Advance VSX2 they say is available here . The UK site claims it meet JASO FD norms . the indian site says JASO FC . get hold of a bottle and see what is written on it . Another site to go thru if u have the time with relation to JASO :

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/2T_EV0412.pdf

someone posted something intresting in his blog on 2T oil research . he states that the JASO or API standards are there for a reason and if any oil claims to be the best it would make sure that it mentions the standards it meets for boasting and marketting points . Oils that dont mention the standards they meet however big a brand they are would mean that they havnt achieved those standard and hence have something less to boast about .
Old 4th May 2009, 15:30   #103
Senior - BHPian

I have seen only one kind of 2t oil at the Shell bunk I go to. The bottle is white coloured. In fact it looked a bit shabby. It is JASO FC. As I said, I'm yet to see a bottle says FD.

Obviously Shell is selling 'Indian standard' oil in India...

Last edited by Raccoon : 4th May 2009 at 15:33.
Old 4th May 2009, 15:41   #104
BHPian

I think someone else here also mentioned Shell Advance in the green bottle is available at Shell bunks , please confirm .

Motul 800 is defunately better than Petronas Sprinta 5000 if u go by the stats i found and posted here .

Even tho Petronas has a higher viscosity index of 154 as compared to the Motul 800 viscosity index of 135 . take a look at how things change at temperature .

Kinematic Viscosity of Motul 800
@ 40°C (104°F) 120.2 mm²/s
@ 100°C (212°F) 15.5 mm²/s

Kinematic Viscosity of Petronas Sprinta 5000
@ 40 °C : 75.5
@100°C : 11.9

Flash Point of Petronas : 110°C
Flash point of Motul 800: 252°C / 485°F

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 4th May 2009 at 15:42.
Old 4th May 2009, 16:11   #105
BHPian

Quote:
I think someone else here also mentioned Shell Advance in the green bottle is available at Shell bunks , please confirm .
It was me its still easily available in shell bunks here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks