Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2011, 10:58   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Super review Vidyut! The key to diesels is the power band and Toyota has figured out the Indian juntaa well. Majority would be happy with 20+ kmpl figures and drivability unlike us motorheads.

Pricing wise am still not convinced primarily due to the cost cutting that has happened with Etios. But then again its a sedan from Toyota customers would be Q ing up even if it is spartan
Old 12th September 2011, 11:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

The engine is typical Toyota, noisy but with a hint of smoothness. Don't know how else to describe it, but one can generally identify an Innova just by listening to the engine.

Noisy interiors at 2000+rpm is probably acceptable to those who will buy this car. AFAIK in the city most people tend to upshift at 2200rpm anyway (observing the various office drivers who vary from sedate to rash). I think the market today is more tolerant to these issues than to sub-par quality.

Glad that Toyota is listening to customer feedback. Wonder if they will offer the underbody coating FOC to all existing Etios/Liva customers as well.

The pricing difference of 40k is almost negligible. If one finds the feature-set available in the Etios acceptable, I think one would go for it.

Most impacted will be the Dzire. Manza buyers seem to want space with features, and are not brand conscious anyway, so I don't see a big dent to the Manza sales.

PS. Review rated five stars!

Last edited by VeluM : 12th September 2011 at 11:13. Reason: 5*
Old 12th September 2011, 11:12   #33
BHPian

Excellent review..As usual..

Any plan of separate Liva D review?

Somehow I feel that with this engine specs, Liva makes more sense compare to Etios sedan,

from Liva to Etios Sedan, What we get more is JUST boot (Almost). Same engine / almost same back seat space.
Old 12th September 2011, 11:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

Very good review Vid, thanks for that.

Good to know that toyota has made sure they have tuned an engine for economy without affecting the driveability of the car.

With the petrol rates reaching astronomical number I was scared that manufacturer might throw in some semi cooked diesel engine just to satisfy market demands. But good to know that Toyota has still managed to do a good job.

But one point still concerns me is the fact that manufacturers might launch diesel vehicles even if they are not ready to scale up to demand. This is just to make sure that bookings do not go the competitors way. They take the booking but delivery will happen only post 7 odd months.

I call such launches as token launches. They are ill-prepared launches just to make sure that market booking are acquired. I am slightly bothered Etios diesel may be one of such token launches.
I am sure Diesel will have loads of booking coming its way.

VID: One question from my side:
Do you have any idea if Toyota will be freezing booking (similar to Fortuner) in case if the waiting period goes beyond sane limits? Was there any discussion on this?
Old 12th September 2011, 12:22   #35
BHPian

Build quality aside, this vehicle seems par for the course for Indian roads. With time, this could also prove to be a hit in the taxi segment. Great review though, rated 5 stars. Thanks.
Old 12th September 2011, 12:28   #36
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review-etios_price-_comparo.jpg
I observe that Mahindra Verito is not a competition to these three sedans?
Just wondering whether it is because of its "taxi" tag or for some other reason(s)?
Old 12th September 2011, 13:09   #37
Senior - BHPian

Vid,
One more question from my side.

Did you also have chance to drive the Liva Diesel? How much of difference is there between the Liva Diesel and Liva Petrol. Are the trims the same a Liva Petrol?
Old 12th September 2011, 13:12   #38
BHPian

Excellent review Vid. By the way I posted in a different thread earlier about my booking of Etios VD on first day of launch on 9th Sept (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2500021). Dealer has told me that they would commit for December delivery date. I hope I would get the car earlier so that I can be the first one to write up an ownership review!. I do have few questions though.

1) Does the NVH level at higher RPM gets too annoying? And is there any need for aftermarket vibration damping like dynamat etc?
2) Are the stock tyres good at controlling road noise? This was one of the issue in the petrol etios.
3) How is the highway cruising compared to say SX4 diesel or Manza?
Old 12th September 2011, 13:36   #39
BHPian

Very nice review Vid!

If the beading issue is fixed (rainwater coming in), many can blindly go for this. Any news if this is fixed? If yes, is it being fixed on the petrol version too?
Old 12th September 2011, 13:38   #40
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Great Review Vid. Except the low quality interiors and non availability of high speed performance, I do not find any other negatives in this car.
Toyota known for its reliability and after sales service will find a good market in rural and semi urban areas.
This diesel model should have more takers from cab segment also.
Old 12th September 2011, 13:41   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Also, on a different topic, @Vid6639, were you able to check the water leaking problems reported by a few Etios Petrol owners ? Did Toyota tell something about the missing rubber gaskets from all the doors. It would have been great, if Toyota provides these gaskets atleast as an accessory at extra cost. If someone from team-bhp could provide this feedback to Toyota, that would be great.
This should be a major concern taking into account the current monsoon season. I have come across some really mean classified-ads from current Etios owners wanting to sell their cars at throwaway prices and also advising other owners not to wash their Etios or venture out in rainy season. Power train NVH levels are also a major concern in even ETIOS P, and these just seems to be aggravated in Etios D (even after the underbody coating & thick carpets). I am also mightily aggreived by this toyota appoach of simply concentrating on "driveability" of the engine. The performance figures are simply pathetic for a 1400 cc. This is by no means a "modern" engine. Leaving aside performance, even a 1400 cc indigenous TATA engine gives more mileage. Comparing the performance to a Fiesta Classic is meaningless as it is a more heavier (read sturdier) and more planted car. As regards the taxi positioning, anyone who has travelled anywhere abroad will agree that you can hardly find a taxi that is not a toyota. Toyota has virtual monopoly in the worldwide taxi segment with theirs corollas & crowns. So I dont think that Toyota will have any problems if their car is lapped up by taxi operators in India also. An Etios or an Altis hardly qualify as a "premium" car.
gitartha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 13:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I observe that Mahindra Verito is not a competition to these three sedans?
Just wondering whether it is because of its "taxi" tag or for some other reason(s)?
Yeah, I am also surprised to see this. Ab objective comparison should have all options for the category. And Verito seems to be a decent option ( - Taxi badge).

@GTO : completely agree with you ETIOS is "Mr. Practicality".
But..... I am baffled to see blunders which even Toyota can make - Missing rubber beeding on doors . This shows that even respected manufacturers are only concerned about sales and want to make the most before Indian customers wake up to such issues and starts rejecting them.
Old 12th September 2011, 14:40   #43
Senior - BHPian

All Toyota diesels sound 'truckish' and this is no different. But their engines last. I also feel that people should drive these diesels before commenting on lack of power as seen on paper. The Altis Diesel is superb to drive on road and the supposed 'lack of turbo' was never felt by me. Toyota design their vehicles fantastically with the particular market in mind.

As I quoted on another thread - "Etios is built to a cost, has only basic equipment levels, has a somewhat bizzare instrumentation placement (on centre console) and garish seats on the higher trim, but still it will be a vehicle that should last. In its diesel avatar (both the Etios at 7.5L) and the Liva Diesel at 5.5L, will redefine longevity, durability, long term value/economics and interior space for the Indian Car Consumers in the coming months... It may not be filled to the brim with features but it will drive and drive and drive till you drop, and isn't that what a car is primarily meant to do?"

Last edited by dkaile : 12th September 2011 at 14:45.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 15:04   #44
BHPian

Nice review VID. I liked your points on the suspension difference in the petrol and diesel version. Absence or tachometer is sorely missed though.
Old 12th September 2011, 15:16   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Did you note the RPM at 100kph in 5th gear? How is the gearing compared to Fiesta Classic/Mahindra Verito?
The gearing is shorter in the Fiesta/Figo compared to the Etios. I haven't driven a Verito/Logan in a long time so I'm not really that sure.

RPM in 5th gear at 100kph was close to 2200rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
@Vid: Great review,thanks. Ideally the Etios should have got the VGT version of the Altis and Altis must have got the 2.5L D-4D of the Innova, to give it some turn of speed. Engine sounds agricultural.
The 2.5L D-4D of the innova can't be used as it is a commercial purpose engine. It's designed for MUV usage. It can't be fitted into the Alltis. Similarily the Innova petrol came with a commercial petrol 2L engine.

I'm actually glad they didn't put the VGT as the Altis VGT had terrible turbo lag which is minimised in the Etios by using a small size fixed geometry turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Why does etios produce high NVH when it's the same engine as that of the altis?
Is it because of the rubber mounts instead of hydraulic or is it because of the fgt instead of vgt?
Is there any tips to bring down the NVH levels? Does 3m coating, synthetic oil, cool air intake etc help?

I guess in altis diesel, engine could be revved above 3500 rpm. What's preventing the same in etios? Is it the fgt? Does a better air filter and cold air intake add any difference?

what is the rpm when etios cruises at 100 kmph on top gear?

Sorry for asking too many questions. Curiosity results from the fact that my family booked both the liva as well as etios diesels.
Well they are 2 different cars. One is meant to be a luxury vehicle and is almost 2 segments above.

3M coating will not help much as they have already added insulation in the Etios D. It's just that the Etios construction is a bit more basic, sheet metal is thinner and obviously corners have been cut to keep the pricing in check.

The cars we got were brand new and had not even been run in. I am guessing once the engine is properly run in the NVH levels will reduce substantially.

The FGT is a smaller one than the larger VGT in the altis as a result the boost will be lesser and will be a bit more restrictive. This maybe one of the reasons. The trade off is driveability.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 12th September 2011 at 16:27. Reason: typo
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks