Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2011, 21:08   #106
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda View Post
:-)
I could not have put it in a better way. The September sales do not show any jump in Etios numbers even after getting the diesel mill. Toyota's brothers are out to take on it with a vengence. The discounted, outgoing City and loaded Sunny are providing better value with the same/better Japanese reliability in the petrol segment.

It's time for Toyota to revamp the Q class or else Sunny D coming in December will hopefully take care of Etios D. Looks like Nissan is out to dethrone Toyota Innova next. Don't we all love competition.
Sunny is a good car, undoubtedly. However, there should be Nissan dealers in the country to sell the caaaar. 10-15 odd dealers can't dethrone the big T.

Would be an interesting fight anyways.
Old 11th October 2011, 21:47   #107
BHPian

Seeing the general flow of the discussion on the thread, could not resist myself from sharing my perspective. Hope it adds value.

It would be a pity if an otherwise BRILLIANT package from Toyota does not do well just because of interiors or a few missing knick-knacks. The car has solid fundamentals – it’s extremely user-friendly, offers comfort, effortless driveability and immense practical value.

But one has to look beneath the skin to appreciate the true character! Obviously, the vehicle isn't for everyone. Welcome to the real world of Toyota – Function over Form, low on style and niggardly in features. Look elsewhere, if you are looking for style, snob quotient, or if number of features determines what is VFM.

Going into the details of Etios - you get excellent driveability with negligible turbo lag, linear power delivery & good low-end torque, light and precise controls, great driver ergonomics, short-turning radius, mature ride quality, composed handling, adequate ground clearance, seating comfort, superb space management all over including cubby holes & glove box, above-par fit & finish, good chassis, class-leading FE... In fact, there is hardly a design aspect that can be placed as a significant negative as far as functionality is concerned.

I also find the price reasonable - you gotta pay some premium for superb functionality - it takes conscious effort and brilliant engineering. IMO, Etios just blows DZire away. Guess if it came with premium interiors and a few more features, should it not be competing with Honda City instead?!

Even its wannabe challenger Sunny, for all its good-looking packaging, has the following functionalities messed up (based on my understanding from the official review of Sunny P):

• Rear head room
• Vague gearbox
• Brake pedal feedback
• Did Etios steal the storage spaces in cabin and glovebox?!

On the other hand, Etios (P) has following functional advantages arising out of inherent design strength:

• Superior engine performance and better driveability
• Lower turning radius
• Bigger bootspace

Not to forget, Toyota has established & respected A.S.S. - Nissan is X-factor here

I cannot tell why the market response is lukewarm. But my thinking is that the sales might have come down with the initial hype subsiding and some dust about interiors (often arising from unrealistic comparisons with more expensive 'Toyota' offerings) and certain quality concerns gathering simultaneously. Once this dust settles down, as it should, and the inherent strength of the car starts getting recognition, the sales will pick up again - now on a sustained basis, and the car should emerge as a major player in the segment. All this assuming that the car proves itself worthy of reliability promised by the T-badge. There isn't anything conclusive to suggest either way on this at this stage.

I will be happy if I am proven wrong and the competition actually forces Toyota to slash the price tag or provide improved interiors at this price.

But let Sunny and New DZire come along in the meantime and customer be the king!
RadiantKarma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 00:04   #108
BHPian

@RadiantKarma
Completely agree to your post that under-the-hood, Etios P is a true enhusiasts car. Being an owner I can vouch for it. But practically I believe it is going the Linea/Nano way - Owner's Pride, Neighbours Deride.

- If the previous month's sales are any indicator, it stood 3rd. The top 2 were the only other competitors in it's price range !!
- Diesel has a waiting of only 1 month (even though the market is pretty much diesel-only). This gives an insight into what the # of bookings might be.
- The new Swift supposedly has got 108k bookings. Don't have info on the Liva bookings. With all the issues with Maruti now, they have to solicit atleast 10% of these customers who can't wait for Swift.
- Toyota does not have the luxury of time here. The market is slowing down and competition is increasing (Rapid, Sunny, Renault's next sedan).

Just noticed a new & interesting thread on Toyota's journey in India Sincerely hope some Toyota top mgmt (similar to Tata, M&M ) guy is following TBHP. Any remedial action Toyota takes will be good for prospective customers :-)
Rest my case here.
andromeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 01:36   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank10 View Post
Sunny is a good car, undoubtedly. However, there should be Nissan dealers in the country to sell the caaaar. 10-15 odd dealers can't dethrone the big T.

Would be an interesting fight anyways.
Nissan has moved on from there to 50 odd dealerships across the country, with intent to expand further, rapidly. They've already shown that the increase in the number of dealerships can be pretty rapid.

I agree that the fundamentals of the Etios make it a compelling package, but it loses out in the one area where Indians apparently want more. The interiors just don't live up to the competition.

Since I do not own one, I cannot compare engine performance or handling, but on paper also people would be put off with the low power figures. I know a colleague who was hugely disappointed that the new Bolero is "very underpowered". This before he even TDed the vehicle. I know the Etios is light and hence will still perform decently, but such things do count.

All things considered, I would stop short of calling the Etios Brilliant, simply because it doesn't make one (me, specifically) happy sitting inside - Spartan.
Old 12th October 2011, 09:34   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Request to all Etios/Liva owners across the forum

There had been a lot of mis-communication regarding the various niggling issues of the above cars from Toyota right from engine noise to water seepage issues and Clutch failures. Now the interesting part is that most of these problems are being quoted from outside sources whose credibility and knowledge regarding the car is questionable. So this is my humble request to all owners of Etios or Liva on the forum to start a new thread and just post a short summary of your experience so far with your car. You can mention all the positives and negatives of the car according to you, dealership experiences, after sales cost and experience and any other problem faced.
There is a huge conflict of opinion on the forum regarding these 2 cars. So if TBHP members who own these cars clear these doubts it will be much more credible.

Regards,
mohit
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 14:39   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Request to all Etios/Liva owners across the forum

There had been a lot of mis-communication regarding the various niggling issues of the above cars from Toyota right from engine noise to water seepage issues and Clutch failures. Now the interesting part is that most of these problems are being quoted from outside sources whose credibility and knowledge regarding the car is questionable. So this is my humble request to all owners of Etios or Liva on the forum to start a new thread and just post a short summary of your experience so far with your car. You can mention all the positives and negatives of the car according to you, dealership experiences, after sales cost and experience and any other problem faced.
There is a huge conflict of opinion on the forum regarding these 2 cars. So if TBHP members who own these cars clear these doubts it will be much more credible.

Regards,
mohit
Hi Mohit,

I am a proud Liva owner (2 months- 1300kms), will be writing my initial ownership review this weekend.
I am just awestruck by the sheer number of concerns being raised lately regarding the twins. To me, the car is an absolute delight.

At least, its not a car, which charges a huge premium, gives you a minuscule boot, cramped interiors at the cost of better interior plastics (Well, i am talking about the new Swift)

So, just 2-3 more days.
Old 13th October 2011, 02:17   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Its more than a month now that Toyota launched the diesel twins, but strangely enough I haven't come across a single post of the Etios D ownership. Neither have I seen any messages about booking the Etios D (am I missing something here?). Such a lukewarm response for a car, which was touted to be the Manza & Dezire killer? No activity on this thread for weeks, speaks a lot about the inability of this car to generate widespread interests, as expected of any model from a Toyota.

Any thoughts?
I've booked the car even before the official release of this car ( that's on September 1st week ) to be on the priority list. I will not get the car even by October end. So, it seems there is some kind of delay in production. That might explain the reason for no reviews.

PS: I had test driven the Liva Diesel last week. Drive is very similar to the Figo with a little more pep.

Last edited by amalji : 13th October 2011 at 02:20.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 09:51   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I've booked the car even before the official release of this car ( that's on September 1st week ) to be on the priority list. I will not get the car even by October end. So, it seems there is so
Oh yes, I forgot it completely that you had booked the Etios D even before the launch, thanks for reminding me. However it is not at all encouraging that you have to wait for 2 months. Ideally Toyota should have delivered the cars in a couple of weeks for priority bookings like yours, at least they should have built the initial inventory, knowing that there would be a decent demand immediately after the launch.

Anyways hope they can sort out their production issues & don't make customers like you wait endlessly, so that we too can get the initial ownership reports.
Old 13th October 2011, 11:24   #114
BHPian

I liked the practicality aspects of Etios D: comfortable seating for 5, proper seating (read under-thigh support) in rear bench unlike some of the more expensive cars that have very low seating, good city driveability, good ride quality and very important the option to get ABS/Airbags on a lower spec variant. What bothers me right now are only two things:

- engine noise: The car that I test drove was warmed up (i took it just after another test drive of the same car), yet was quite noisy right from start. Can this be reduced?
- water leak: is it possible to fit rubber beadings on the doors after-market?

Last edited by mohan41 : 13th October 2011 at 11:25.
Old 13th October 2011, 12:38   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
- engine noise: The car that I test drove was warmed up (i took it just after another test drive of the same car), yet was quite noisy right from start. Can this be reduced?
- water leak: is it possible to fit rubber beadings on the doors after-market?
- Engine noise can be reduced by installing extra carpetting and some insulation sheets in the hood and door panel (after market), if you feel it's a major issue.
- There are NO validated reports of water leaks whatsoever. Whatever has happened in 1-2 cases is due to 'improper' fitment of after-market accessories like speakers etc. in door panels.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 13:13   #116
hvs
BHPian

Sorry if I sound foul but Etios is like an unproportionate Logan to me. Perhaps Toyota should price Etios D 5.50L onwards to garner more no.s
Old 13th October 2011, 13:22   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs View Post
Sorry if I sound foul but Etios is like an unproportionate Logan to me. Perhaps Toyota should price Etios D 5.50L onwards to garner more no.s
No offence taken. But to me, Logan, even though it came earlier, looks like a disproportionate and ugly clone of Etios.

Whoever said, looks are subjective and beauty lies in the eye of the beholder?!

On a different note, many folks also like to think that there is much more to a car than its looks! Logan/Verito also has its strengths and is a car I often recommend.
Old 13th October 2011, 15:54   #118
BHPian

Hi guys, Just took delivery of my Etios VD today. Maybe I would attempt to do an ownership review soon. Note that I am migrating from the zippy zen to this compact diesel sedan. However I have driven Accent CRDI and recently been driving my bro-in-law's SX4 diesel which really spoiled me. Here are my initial first take on the Etios diesel.
  • Good driver visibility makes it good city car.
  • Steering is light and just correct feedback makes it easy to maneuver.
  • Engine noise is present inside cabin but it is just acceptable.
  • pickup is good but cannot compare to the more powerful SX4 (I know that is unfair comparison but that is my recent driving experience of half a month)
  • Clutch seems to be bit hard
  • Quality of plastics and interior is not up to mark. Not sure if Toyota can say this is quality product unless these prove durable over period.
More on the updates as I get to know the car more.
automachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 17:51   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automachine View Post
Hi guys, Just took delivery of my Etios VD today. Maybe I would attempt to do an ownership review soon.
Congratulations buddy on being the first Etios D owner on TBHP. Please create your ownership thread asap & update it with loads of pictures & your initial impressions

Quote:
  • Good driver visibility makes it good city car.
  • Steering is light and just correct feedback makes it easy to maneuver.
  • Engine noise is present inside cabin but it is just acceptable.
  • pickup is good but cannot compare to the more powerful SX4 (I know that is unfair comparison but that is my recent driving experience of half a month)
  • Clutch seems to be bit hard
  • Quality of plastics and interior is not up to mark. Not sure if Toyota can say this is quality product unless these prove durable over period.
More on the updates as I get to know the car more.
That's quite an honest feedback. Thanks for sharing it. Keep it coming.
Old 14th October 2011, 09:45   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, Just took delivery of my Etios VD today.
Congratulations @automachine.

Quote:
[*]Clutch seems to be bit hard
Is this harder compared to the SX4 diesel's clutch?
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks