Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 00:37   #31
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV5OO : Test Drive & Review

Superb review Manson & team. Rating 5 stars

XUV is surely a game changer. I had seen a test mule 2 months back while returning from Pondicherry and it looked good. Liked the interiors too while we peeped in. But the pricing has a come as a surprise, never expected such a VFM pricing.

When you mentioned about the steering rack rotating against the Left foot I know what it is since I do feel it at times in my Palio and I've read that it is there in Punto & Linea too.
Old 14th October 2011, 00:40   #32
BHPian

The Mahindra Xuv will surely kill competition, and will do it easily! Just a week before Xuv500 launch, i stopped by the Force One showroom on the way to pune. It was full of people asking for test drives/delivery/pricing. Just today when i passed by the showroom i was surprised to see no one there. Could see no one except the sales staff. This goes to show how well Mahindra has managed to draw people!
Old 14th October 2011, 00:49   #33
BHPian

Excellent review and a much awaited one . Aim sold to this XUV as my next ride ,when aim back in India . Thanks Manson & GTO .
Old 14th October 2011, 00:54   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

P.S. : As a diehard Fortuner lover, and someone who termed the Fortuner as "the best 20 lakh SUV", I have to admit : The XUV owns the T! The only advantages that the Fortuner has are reliability (that's a biggie), offroad capability and better 3rd row / luggage space. In all other areas, the XUV is far superior...be it ride quality, handling, interiors (not finish, but overall package), equipment and price. A nearly 10 lakh premium is a lot of money for an SUV with rear drum brakes and a stiff ride.
Thanks for the comprehensive review Manson & GTO. Rated the review a well-deserved 5 stars.

GTO - Knowing that you termed the Fortuner as the best 20 lakh SUV, was hopeful that you would share your views on the XUV for someone who may have also contemplated purchasing a Fortuner.

And, your closing remarks did just that. Thank you.

While I believe that the Fortuner has enough going its way (Brand, Image, Reliability and much much more), however guess the XUV has enough to put serious doubts in the minds of many contemplating buying a Fortuner.
Old 14th October 2011, 00:55   #35
BHPian

Excellent as always. I loved the car in first glance. i thought it was some imported car, before i came to know that it was from mahindra. Is this fully indigenous product like Tata?

In future i was planning to buy some diesel car like vento, or verna. But with a car like this, i would defiantly try to beg for some lakhs more to ge this one. Really i can call it as game changer. Who will now buy FOrd Endy, Chevy captiva, honda crv? Ok people who want status and brand name will do, but i still think XUV 500 has some better pieces in it than the others.
Old 14th October 2011, 00:58   #36
BHPian

Thanks for the precise and informative review guys, rated as 5 star
I was about to go to sleep when i thought let me just check if the review is up and yes there it was at the top of the home page list.

the best photo in the review is the one below. just fold the middle row seats and the rear seats become lounge chairs. AC on full blast and chilled sprite cans in the rear side bottle holders
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-mahindraxuv5oo08.jpg  

Old 14th October 2011, 00:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if people who have already booked their XUV W6 knows this or not hence posting it here.

As per the brochure, W6 comes with power foldable side mirrors. Infact i also checked it on their website while booking it and clearly saw the same. However, when i got to know from other members here in other forum that's its not available in W6, i went ahead and checked the site again and to my surprise, now it says NO. Is this some kind of cost cutting or what.
Old 14th October 2011, 01:03   #38
BHPian

The most eagerly anticipated review yet. The folks at Mahindra must be on cloud 9 and justifiably so. Great review as usual. I would have appreciated more pics, especially under the car and more information on things like suspension setup.

I have had a strange reaction to the XUV. I hated it in the pics, liked it live. Infact I think the car doesn't photograph well, the front doesn't look half as bad as it does in pics and the back is actually not bad at all. You don't get that from the pics. Some of the plastics and color choices could be improved, the console reflection is irritating and needs to be addressed.

On the whole a huge stride for Mahindra and with it the India auto market. This launch has a huge impact on pricing and value equations unless Mahindra loses the introductory offer and raises prices significantly. Improvements to the interiors in newer versions will be greatly anticipated.
Old 14th October 2011, 01:03   #39
BHPian

was in the papers; the vehicle has received a brilliant introduction. the bookings have closed for the moment. they've booked 8000 units in 10 days. so, as per production, thats 4 months booked.
this is certainly a very impressive, tempting proposition.
Old 14th October 2011, 01:05   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I don't know if people who have already booked their XUV W6 knows this or not hence posting it here.

As per the brochure, W6 comes with power foldable side mirrors. Infact i also checked it on their website while booking it and clearly saw the same. However, when i got to know from other members here in other forum that's its not available in W6, i went ahead and checked the site again and to my surprise, now it says NO. Is this some kind of cost cutting or what.
Must be because the brochure i downloaded from xuv500 website 2 days after launch mentions power foldable mirrors for the w6 also
Old 14th October 2011, 01:07   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic Review!!.. Right on time, when we were waiting for it!

The XUV5'O''O' is indeed a game changer with killer pricing, a mile long feature list, and most importantly, M&M have a QUALITY vehicle inside out.

buuutttttttt.....

Two things which I would be concerned of:

1. Would customers of a 15lac product like being treated with/as Pickup drivers? In this department, Mahindra is very unlike even the TATA. Almost ALL the Mahindra service centers I have been DO NOT have it in them to treat a 15 lac customer the way he deserves it.

2. With all the electronics, and fancy features, what would be the long term (3 year +) reliability? I wouldn't buy a 15 lac product and let M&M do their R&D on me.

P.S: btw, Manson, do they provide an additional crash course to learn those lights on the console and buttons on the stalks? Is it free?
Old 14th October 2011, 01:11   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for a wonderful review. I guess the Indian market is getting better day by day with the offerings. In another 10 years we will have some superb products going by the change we see now.

I just loved the way M&M priced this car. I am already guessing how many more "booking closure" is going to happen with respect to this vehicle. As mentioned in the thread, this car makes most of the UVs look terribly overpriced for what it offers. I hope M&M holds on to the price and don't over react to the success thru price hikes and makes the other players offer more value in their products!

I seriously hope there is not rattling in this car and everything is taken care of well in the new cars. And hope the electronics too stay good for a long time. Electronics are always a mess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Two things which I would be concerned of:

1. Would customers of a 15lac product like being treated with/as Pickup drivers? In this department, Mahindra is very unlike even the TATA. Almost ALL the Mahindra service centers I have been DO NOT have it in them to treat a 15 lac customer the way he deserves it.
I thought M&M will have a premium A$$ for XUV customers; read it somewhere. Also I guess that's the precise reason for a multiple phase launch as well.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th October 2011 at 01:16.
Old 14th October 2011, 01:35   #43
BHPian

I picked up my phone to set the alarm for the next day and just outta habit (last 2 weeks of neurotic wait!!) checked the TBhp forum; dont remember what i exlcaimed but my wife figured I'm gonna be up for the rest of the night

Manson & GTO thanks for the articulate and impeccable review! It puts to rest a million crazy concerns and anxieties... and heralds the Rise of the game-changer! Mahindra has been extremely mature in their entire launch; right from the product (the right highs, tweaks and calibrations) to the pricing and bookings.

You have also echoed the right concern areas - quality of electronics and long term service support. A reassuring move by M has been dispatching an exclusively trained staff for XUV 500. And I have personally experienced the difference... drastic! I hope they carry it through in terms of RM and servicing staff.

I had gone ahead and booked a Grey W6. And was eagerly awaiting the Oracular prophecy to be uploaded SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!

Cheers!
Old 14th October 2011, 01:56   #44
BHPian

Good deatailed review.

LED and red mood Lighting is good.
Nice to know Mahindra has made significant progress in decent SUV making with nice performance on road. I hope A.S.S and reliability turns great experience for XUV OWNERS.

Awaiting the launch of XUV with good true A/T and Sun roof option at great price asap. These two features will make XUV a complete modern global SUV product, announcing TO the world about THE Indian car maker's coming of age
Old 14th October 2011, 02:01   #45
Senior - BHPian

Top class review, as always.

XUV5OO will certainly make things tough for the Fortuner. Mahindra is attempting to address customers' doubts about reliability with the Unlimited mileage warranty on offer (during the introductory period), which in itself is a very big gamble.

If the high milers (as there will be, people doing 100k in a couple of years or less) don't report many issues, the XUV is set for a long stint as the highest selling SUV in India, in the 10-25L price range!!! Now that'll be an achievement.

Automatic entry into the Purple Club for all XUV owners should take care of the A.S.S worries for most owners. I don't know the precise details, but here's a gist from the XUV5OO website:
Quote:
What are the benefits of the Purple Club?

A unique, personal touch With Purple Club, Ownership experience will take a personalized turn.
For the first time in the auto industry, you will be assigned your very own personal Relationship Manager, who will always be on hand to address your vehicle queries, service requests, special bookings and lots more.

Exceptional service experience
As a Purple Club member, you are entitled to exceptional service benefits, like a Pick-up & Drop facility, priority attention and 24-hour Road Assistance.

Experience the thrill of adventure
Entry into the Purple Club also brings you exclusive, first-hand offerings to enhance your auto passion. Some of the offers include privileged access to in-house events such as Mahindra Great Escape, and invites to most-wanted auto-related events.

Live the Good Life
Your Purple Club also opens up a range of lifestyle offerings and experiences. Choose from exotic holidays brought to you by Club Mahindra, a Chauffer-on-Demand service at special rates, and select invites to lifestyle and sport events.
Hats off to Mahindra, and I sincerely hope they don't spoil the party by increasing prices later. With the volumes that can be expected, I think they should stick to the current pricing, and enjoy the more-than-double-the-predicted-numbers in sales, wot?

Last edited by VeluM : 14th October 2011 at 02:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks