Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 14:21   #151
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

As always, a great review of a great vehicle! 5 stars to this thread. Thank you Manson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
yeah, I am aware of that option. Its just that if and when I go for this beast, the 3rd row will always remain folded. So I thought it would be better if a version would be available where that space could be used for the spare. Effectively, it will resolve even the accessibility issue for the spare. In any case, I will end up removing that 3rd row of seating if/ when I own this vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak View Post
Super review Manson. 5 stars !!

Think of it as a 6 seater with enough space for a couple of large suitcases and a few bags on top of those (with one 3rd row seat folded down) !!

Optionally, remove the 3rd row seats and use them at home.
Use the huge space left behind for luggage.
Keep a mattress and few cushions handy to convert this area into a cosy place for a couple to relax / play / 'fool around'
Actually with the seats removed I believe more than 2 people can be accomodated.
Agree! In my Xylo, the third is folded 90% of the time effectively making it a big 5 seater. I sorely miss a 50/50 or 60/40 split third row. Which raises the question - any idea how easy is it to remove one of the third row seats completely? Is it a DIY? That would allow this to be a 6 seater with a decent amount of luggage space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Apart from the purple club membership that comes with the ownership of the XUV, we have also heard that Mahindra has specifically instructed dealerships and service centres to be extra courteous and pass on preferential treatment whilst dealing with XUV5OO customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
awesome review. Yes every XUV owner is member of purple club which includes free pickup and drop of vehicle. Given below details from Mahindra
For some interesting minutes, I actually thought M&M is giving free Purple season membership to Club Mahindra to XUV customers. That alone is worth 4 L I think.

I was told by a senior person at one of the Pune dealers that XUV500 will not be serviced at the regular workshops of M&M. Dealers have been asked to open a dedicated facility for XUV servicing.
Old 14th October 2011, 14:21   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Fortuner when launched came with the worst brakes in any SUV. This was raised to Toyota and they had to fix this issue.
And, for a finicky guy like me, I still feel the Fortuner's brakes suck as compared to what I have been used to.

And I'd like to make a sincere request not to turn this into another "Fortuner is the best" thread, please?
suman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 14:40   #153
BHPian

Hey,

Can you post some pictures of the seats in the third row with and without an adult sitting in it ?

That is a very important factor for prospective buyers and I think you might have overlooked it. Besides that, as always a very great review !
Old 14th October 2011, 14:45   #154
BHPian

Why is such a hoopla being made over the lack of space in the 3rd row? This car is not a people mover. Having a 3rd row is a 'good to have' feature, not a necessity. If you want a 3rd row, get a Xylo or an Innova or an Aria. This is an SUV. 5 people is what most people will ever want to seat in it.
lucifer1881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 14:48   #155
BHPian

The review that I was always waiting for. This car is really a confuser as I would say. People from various segments are now confused with their probable buy. Although people I know who are looking at this car as their prospective buy want to look at this for a year before jumping on to it.
Old 14th October 2011, 14:48   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Why is such a hoopla being made over the lack of space in the 3rd row? This car is not a people mover. Having a 3rd row is a 'good to have' feature, not a necessity. If you want a 3rd row, get a Xylo or an Innova or an Aria. This is an SUV. 5 people is what most people will ever want to seat in it.
There are times when it is important, like going with an extended group without the bother of taking multiple vehicles. But for me the rear seat in the Scorpio is enough to park all the noisy kids together (and better still with seats folded a larger group of kids fit in for going a cpl of kms.)
Old 14th October 2011, 14:49   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
exactly, I wonder why?
take a safari, those jump seats are simply useless & no complaints there? rightly said, it's an SUV and not an MUV.
Old 14th October 2011, 14:56   #158
BHPian

Thanks Guys for such a fantastic review. XUV 500 sure looks and drives like a game changer in the segment.

I have a specific question about the reverse park assist system..Can you please let me know how it feels when compared to other OEM reverse park assist systems in terms of accuracy, resolution and response time..?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 14th October 2011, 14:57   #159
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV5OO : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
The Mahindra XUV5OO has been launched in India at a price of 10.80 - 12.88 Lakhs (ex-Delhi).
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Game-changer indeed! Rarely does a vehicle come along that will rewrite the rules, and impact not only the segment it competes in, but also the segment right below & right above. The market has responded & competitors are watching closely. Overbooked, despite an opening in only 5 cities.
2 Years of testing and the hype has finally paid off for the Mahindra, and here 3 weeks of waiting and patience has finally paid off for us Thanks a lot Manson and GTO (and also the moderators who were part of the testing) for the review. Its crisp, to the point and very elaborate! You have made sure that nothing is missed. Rated the thread duly deserved 5*s.

Though, one correction from my side. The spelling in the thread name is wrong. Its named as XUV500 in the thread and not XUV5OO. Small and negligible Also, a few notes for the additional accessories provided by the company would have been great, especially for the optional reverse camera which is a MUST for the vehicle.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 14th October 2011 at 15:02.
Old 14th October 2011, 14:59   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
exactly, I wonder why?
take a safari, those jump seats are simply useless & no complaints there? rightly said, it's an SUV and not an MUV.
And the fact that it doesn't have a proper 3rd row seat saves it from being a Taxi.

Consider it as a 5 seater for long drives and a 7 seater in case you want to take 2 more extra friends for a short trip in the city.
Old 14th October 2011, 14:59   #161
BHPian

Excellent review !! I really appreciate the attention given to the details of the vehicle in the review. A good effort by Mahindra, as it has been pointed out the front end looks seriously overdone, the vehicle would look classy if the front front grill with the huge "!!M!!" is removed and the front bumper is redesigned, would make a perfect buy probably after a year when or so when Mahindra decides to launch a updated model after ironing out the few problems that it has right now. Hope the overall quality also improves over time. Are test-drive vehicles available yet in Bangalore ? I am seriously considering it as my next buy.
Old 14th October 2011, 15:01   #162

Very good review, Manson.

I am very interested in seeing how this vehicle performs in the market. If it has few niggles, and Mahindra can offer after sales service commensurate with the price / standard of the XUV, it will do wonders.
Specially once they open up sales in non metro cities in Northern India.

I liked the YETI a lot, but the pricing was a bit of a turn off. I think the XUV is priced just right, even though the quality of some interiors may not be as top notch as Skoda's.

I will be keeping a keen eye on this one as my potential next.

Cheers.
Old 14th October 2011, 15:10   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Is 15L on road price for the 4WD 5OO "cheap" by current standards? Will people still perceive it as value if the niggles exist as pointed out in the official TBhp road test? Or will the scenario change once the initial "hoopla" dies down?

Not to be mistaken, I would like an "Indian" XUV to succeed but not at the cost of any compromises in the "hidden" essentials like the electricals etc.
Yes, 15L on-road is cheap for a 7 seater AWD vehicle with all the bells & whistles, space, comfortable ride & good engine. The next available competitor costs a cool 3 lakhs more.

It depends on what kind of niggles exist. Please note that small issues like squeaking or rattling can be lived with. But issues like loud petrol engine & rough gearbox is a little difficult to digest.

Until the car does give issues, lets not think about "what if it does".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Noticed the text is upside down . Attention to details to small things make a great product then breaking conventions!
The text is not upside down. In it's normal position, it is meant to be read by the driver. In the pic, it i folded down & turned, hence its looking upside down!
Old 14th October 2011, 15:10   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
The text is not upside down. The visor has been detached on one side and flipped to bring it to the driver side window. When attached back to the normal visor postion, the text is upright. This is the case with most vehicles.
You are right. I stand corrected.
Old 14th October 2011, 15:13   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by plimsollmark View Post
Any idea whether the speakers set up can be changed easily without affecting warranty ? Was pretty disappointed to see that the sound quality has been rated below par. Dont know how difficult it will be to add some decent speakers/amp/sub to this head unit.
Unlike European companies, namely Skoda, Mahindra has never been fussy about basic upgrades such speakers, tires, alloys, etc, so I guess you could check with them once you get your XUV and go ahead with your ICE upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post

1. Unlike other reviews, there is not much discussion regarding the competition (The one which you give with the photographs of the competitors). Is it because the XUV 5OO does not have any competition as on date??
Segment and price competitors combined, the XUV5OO rivals just about anything and everything between the 10 - 20L space which would warrant another individual thread itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
2. As on date the Car is launched in select cities. Any idea / assessment when would Mahindra launch it all over and the time frame?
No confirmation on this, but they had indicated they would initiate marketing activities in the second tier cities in a few months whilst at the press conference. Now that is as subjective as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
Excellent Review!!!

How is the Turbo Lag? The driver next to me was finding it very difficult to drive the XUV in the City. Also the Exhaust without the spare wheel in place was looking very crude in that XUV.

Kiran
As mentioned in the review, there is just no turbo lag! IMO that person was probably getting used to the seating position or the long throw on the clutch pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post

One question (I'm sorry if it has been answered in the review and I missed it) : Did your team check actual real life fuel efficiency?
We did not pay much attention to fuel efficiency as our test figures would surely not reflect real world fuel efficiency. To give you an idea though, My Scorpio 2.2 MHawk yields about 10 - 12 kmpl depending on mix of extreme city/highway driving with 100% aircon use. Despite the higher tune the 2.2 MHawk engine is running in the XUV, I do not expect a lot of change from the fuel efficiency thanks to the provision of an additional 6th gear and marginally lesser weight. Probably a loss of 1 kmpl odd within city limits due to the not so apt driving conditons to make use of the additonal 6th gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
One feature which I could not find an answer in the official review is : does the XUV500 have HID lamps..?

Regards,
Behemoth
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Way to go, OTOH I thought you had a white Scorpio.
Exactly, I 'had' a white Scorpio and now I 'have' a black one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshooli View Post
Agree. Paying so much of money and getting the squeaks after 1000kms is bothersome.

I have booked the XUV and delivery is sometime in Jan 2012. But I will look forward to some ownership reports to see if this problem surface.

Question here. Do I need to rethink about my booking if this problem exists in the vehicles being delivered ?
We at Team-Bhp try our best to be as detailed as we can get enabling our readers to make an educated decision. From the feel of it, I certainly expects similar squeaks to develop over a period of time if not within the first 1,000 kms, but IMHO the noise level of the squeaks was definitely not a deal breaker for me for an otherwise exceptionally balanced package.
manson is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks