Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 08:11   #61
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV5OO : Test Drive & Review

1. fantastic review and well worth the wait!!
2. wondering if mahindra could've done better by positioning the spare on the boot lid (that was a wonderful observation on the removal of the spare).
3. is the 'no seat cover' warning applicable to the W6 also?
p.s. LATE for office!!! team-bhp's fault!! this was just irresistable!!
Old 14th October 2011, 08:22   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
3. is the 'no seat cover' warning applicable to the W6 also?
the No-seat cover rule is applicable for seats that have side air-bags. Hence this will not be applicable to the W6/lower model.

Then again, the seat's already looking so stylish that one would mostly spoil the looks by adding seat covers !
Old 14th October 2011, 08:27   #63
BHPian

Fantastic car and a fabulous review: deserves a 5 star rating

The only negatives that i found in this hugely impressive machine is the limited luggage and third row space. Rest all is excellent.

1. The front looks appeal to me.
2. The interiors are a giant leap forward for the mahindra.
3. All the gizmos are mouthwatering (just hope they function as they should)
4. The ride and handling is also much improved.

Hope tata takes a clue and lowers the price of aria and makes it a lusty proposition

Game changer: well definitely. Fortuner definitely has its advantages but then a 10 lakh price difference sure covers that advantage.

Competetion is always good. Isnt it?
Old 14th October 2011, 08:28   #64
BHPian

Excellent Review!!!

How is the Turbo Lag? The driver next to me was finding it very difficult to drive the XUV in the City. Also the Exhaust without the spare wheel in place was looking very crude in that XUV.

Kiran
Old 14th October 2011, 08:48   #65
BHPian

@manson and @GTO, Thanks a lot.
One request. Can We have a comparison with Aria, Since both vehicles are now flagship Indian products.
We know, There is no comparison in pricing, but what about other aspect of product engineering?
I am looking for something similar to thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ndra-xylo.html
Old 14th October 2011, 08:50   #66
Senior - BHPian

Awesome pricing from Mahindra. Thanks for sharing the review.

This will be my next car when I upgrade , unless FORD comes out with an SUV in the same price range.

The alloy wheels design is bland,could you have been better.
Old 14th October 2011, 09:00   #67
Senior - BHPian

Great review Mods. The only thing I find right now going against the XUV is it's dealership especially so in smaller towns like Meerut. It's partly rudimentary/rustic to say the least, even though it was designed like any other modern dealership with glass facade et al. More on that later. The back end is also quite 'xyloish' and the front end may be a little too 'blingy' for most but still the XUV has got most things in the right place. I feel the engine reliability is there and if the electronics hold on then Mahindra has a run away success on it's hands.

@GTO - You broke my heart with the last PS comment but deep down I feel you are right. We are a value conscious society and will remain so forever and XUV 'presumably' delivers better value right now than most of the competition...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 09:20   #68
Senior - BHPian

Awesome report Manson! The intro para was fun.

Not all Indian are 6 foot and hence I guess an avg Indian family would be happy with this 7 seater.

I also liked the fact that getting in is easier for short people/old people. Would help score points here from someone like me.

I loved bunny's video, the way it did 120-140 shows how good the engine-wegine is Was too surprised to see a Indian SUV doing it without sweat. You guys should have done something similar since 'seeing is believing' makes a big difference.

Is it true that one cant get this in red color for AWD option?

Sqweaks and electronics must be sorted if this has to be a hit! Reminds me of GTO's
C180! ( and older German cars) which scared people coz of its failure rate.

And this might be a too techie car for a.s.s. guys.

Good one MM.

Last edited by jkdas : 14th October 2011 at 09:24.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 09:23   #69
BHPian

Excellent Detailed Review of an Ambitious project from M&M which was successfully implemented.

This XUV5OO is surely a deal breaker for all cars in the range of 20Lacs, now only if they are able to ramp up the production, then we will surely see it giving competition to the KING of UV's Balero.

Reading the review, i just kept on thinking weather there is something other than,
1) Luggage Space - can leave with it, and its not a deal breaker.
2) Front Look - look grows on you.
3) Few Suspect Interior Quality laps. - errrrrrrrrrr have to leave with it.

alas there seems to be non, i thank M&M for this effort.
Old 14th October 2011, 09:28   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The only advantages that the Fortuner has are reliability (that's a biggie), offroad capability and better 3rd row / luggage space.
The first two make Toyota SUVs what they are. It is a different matter that many folks buy those SUVs for just mallroading.

The way I look at it, the XUV500 is like a budget Outlander - Crossover AWD with fancy features, one that can comfortably seat 5.

I rather like the look of the XUV500 from the side and front. The biggest question mark should be electronics reliability - but even if there are issues, that should get sorted out in a couple of years with customer feedback.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 14th October 2011 at 09:33.
Old 14th October 2011, 09:29   #71
Team-BHP Support

What a review!

I am drooling over this vehicle already!

Mahindra has done an extremely commendable job with this. And what pricing. Bang on!

Be it the lounge effect or the puddle-lamps, the interiors - they are all very well integrated. The unique door handles are a good change. And mighty impressed with the centre console and the individual reading lights for each passenger.

The only hitch - and a major one - no boot space. Imagine the classic Indian family with 4 adults and 2 kids on a long trip. There is simply no place they can keep the luggage. Small nuclear families will be amused, others won't.

Overall, fantastic product from Mahindra. What's going to happen to Aria?

Btw, I'm confused, how is Mahindra going to differentiate between Bolero-Scorpio-XUV-Xylo. None of them are in exclusive leagues; they are all a mix of everything. Except maybe Xylo which is strictly a MUV.
Old 14th October 2011, 09:32   #72
BHPian

The most awaited review just got better!!!Fantastic job,Mods.I've absolutely no regrets for spending almost an hour of my work time(and getting shouted at,by my lead) to read the review and ogle at the pictures!!!

Its great to see two Indian manufacturers come up with such good products and i can proudly say that they won't be out of place in international markets such as Europe and America!!I for one,like the XUV better than the Aria.It looks radical and has almost all the bells and whistles that you can expect from a sub 15lakh rupee car!

Hope it lives upto the hype!!
Old 14th October 2011, 09:33   #73
BHPian

Excellent review Manson!

I think the 8000+bookings in 10 days are a testimony to perfect package of features at a specific price point. However, I wonder whether this vehicle is really as good as it could have been. (just the small stuff)

Mahindra has played very well to its "Value for Money" USP once again and there is no denying that it is probably the best money could buy.

Kudos to Mahindra. A nearly perfect recipe.
Old 14th October 2011, 09:43   #74
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review guys! Thanks to the team for coming up with such a comprehensive review that one can ever read on the XUV5OO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
.....But what I'm really concerned about, and hope that Mahindra delivers upon, is the long-term reliability (electronics especially) and a super after-sales experience
Seriously considering the XUV5OO to replace our 6 year old Innova. We have been on the look out for a replacement for more than year and nothing seemed to convince us to move away from the innova. For the first time ever, Mahindra has managed to win.

As GTO has rightly pointed out, only if Mahindra proves itself in the After sales support department, we would look no further to bring this home to replace the 6 year old work horse.

Lets keep our fingers crossed to see what Mahindra has in strore for us.

EDIT: Just saw that M&M has temporarily suspended the booking, according to some online sources. Hoping that M&M would ramp up its production capacity soon and start taking bookings again!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 14th October 2011 at 09:49.
Old 14th October 2011, 09:45   #75
BHPian

Thanks to Manson and the review team for a detailed report with quality photos.

I agree the XUV 500 looks are like-it-or-hate-it. It's subjective - I for one totally LOVE the front face! Kudos to the M&M design team. Glad there are many others who think so too.

One question (I'm sorry if it has been answered in the review and I missed it) : Did your team check actual real life fuel efficiency?

Thanks again Manson; a great product and a great review!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks