Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2015, 12:22   #7561
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
I had a similar fender bender like yours , I showed it to my SA and he got one of the workers to put in a jugad using binding wire and making holes on the inside to bring them closer, so far it has worked and you cant see the wire, depends on how neatly the person works on it.
Thanks. So the damage can be repaired by a jugad rather paying a huge amount in replacing the fender and bumper . will visit some reputed workshop to check the possibility.
Old 26th August 2015, 09:34   #7562
Senior - BHPian

My car had it's first minor injury today while taking it out from my parking, it was all my mistake I judged the space wrong, while I was concentrating more on the rear could not notice a small wall and the front left side brushed the wall, here is what happened to my car

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-wp_20150826_09_15_47_pro.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-wp_20150826_09_15_50_pro.jpg

Need help on getting this rectified,

1. Should I approach showroom or a local body shop for the same?
2. The plastic cladding has some deep scratches, how do I get it repaired?
3. Scratches on fog lamp housing, can it be removed? or should I change the fog lamp housing? If yes, how much would it cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyth78 View Post
Thanks. So the damage can be repaired by a jugad rather paying a huge amount in replacing the fender and bumper . will visit some reputed workshop to check the possibility.
Did you get your car repaired? If yes can you share some details around it.
Old 26th August 2015, 11:21   #7563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
My car had it's first minor injury today while taking it out from my parking,

Need help on getting this rectified,

1. Should I approach showroom or a local body shop for the same?
2. The plastic cladding has some deep scratches, how do I get it repaired?
3. Scratches on fog lamp housing, can it be removed? or should I change the fog lamp housing? If yes, how much would it cost?
That's a painful sight.

I had similar front bumper scrape on Ford Ikon several years ago. Service center painted entire bumper, it cost around 7k. However a private body shop may do local repair by scrubbing the paint in the effected area then applying primer and repainting only that part. However paint shade matching would be extremely important for such local repairs.

Btw, I got front parking sensors installed on my car as the parking in my apartment is very tight. One side effect of it is that front parking sensor LEDs do help in the traffic situations when someone is trying to squeeze too close
vaspro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 11:52   #7564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
Btw, I got front parking sensors installed on my car.
Any pictures of how this is fitted and the indication of proximity? Is it something integrated into dash or a separate display in cabin? Please post some pictures of how this looks inside.
Old 26th August 2015, 12:11   #7565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a painful sight.

I had similar front bumper scrape on Ford Ikon several years ago. Service center painted entire bumper, it cost around 7k. However a private body shop may do local repair by scrubbing the paint in the effected area then applying primer and repainting only that part. However paint shade matching would be extremely important for such local repairs.

Btw, I got front parking sensors installed on my car as the parking in my apartment is very tight. One side effect of it is that front parking sensor LEDs do help in the traffic situations when someone is trying to squeeze too close
Thanks buddy, yes I will be visiting the service center tomorrow for my first service and see what is their take on this and then decide whether to get it done with them or a local body shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Any pictures of how this is fitted and the indication of proximity? Is it something integrated into dash or a separate display in cabin? Please post some pictures of how this looks inside.
Yes it would be great, if you can share the setup of front sensors and I think it really makes sense for this huge car. I was contemplating on this from long time and I will probably get it done once these scratches are sorted out.
Old 26th August 2015, 12:47   #7566
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it would be great, if you can share the setup of front sensors and I think it really makes sense for this huge car. I was contemplating on this from long time and I will probably get it done once these scratches are sorted out.
The front sensors are even included in the optional accessories list of XUV. Hope it can be integrated with the infotainment system. What i feel is that it wont work in neutral as it can get irritant in daily traffic.
Old 26th August 2015, 13:26   #7567
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
The front sensors are even included in the optional accessories list of XUV.
Last i enquired about it - they are not integrated with infotainment system. The distance and beep display is a separate unit that will be fixed inside the cabin at your a convenient location. I am worried about that as it will route the wire through some A pillars or Roof line etc. And that will also intrude on the dash somewhere if at all.

These units typically have a beep mute button that can stop the sounds and can only have a visual indicator or distance. A good setup if you don't mind that extra accessory fired somewhere fired on the dash.

I am curious to see how the implementation is done in vespro's case.
Old 26th August 2015, 17:52   #7568
BHPian

@abirnale: you are correct these front parking sensors are not integrated into ICE display. This kit comes with small display unit with LEDs to indicate the distance.

Following pictures will show how its installed in my car (sorry for the poor quality pics clicked using mobile)

1. This is how display unit looks from Driver seat- installed near A pillar
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20150826_171219jpeg1.jpg

2. Closeup of the display unit (when car is switched off)
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20150826_171249jpeg2.jpg

3.This is how unit looks once you turn Ignition on. Notice how all LEDs are glowing as car is parked very close to the wall. Middle blue LED will always glow indicating system is on. Left to right 3 LEDs on each side- Yellow, Orange & Red light up based on the distance to obstacle
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20150826_171409jpeg3.jpg

4.This picture shows the user manual page on how to interpret those LEDs and distance at which they light up
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20150826_171639jpeg4.jpg

5. This is a schematic diagram how sensors get integrated with car
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20150826_171650jpeg5.jpg

6. User manual page showing the display unit
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20150826_171711jpeg6.jpg

7. Circled in red is the audio buzzer's toggle switch. I keep the buzzer always turned off
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20150826_171316jpeg7.jpg

It did help me in traffic when an i20 fellow nearly grazed front left fender, I was able to move away based on the parking sensor display.

Hope this helps
vaspro is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 17:57   #7569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Following pictures will show how its installed in my car.
Awesome! Thanks for posting the pictures.

The thing seems to be near perfect with only eyesore - the audio buzzer switch is drilled into the plastic panel? Are there any different models that wouldn't need this drilling?

And if you don't mind, price please
Old 26th August 2015, 18:07   #7570
BHPian

Couldn't agree more- that buzzer switch is an eyesore. I don't know if they have any other models, I didn't know that they will install the audio buzzer switch this way. Else I would have asked them for alternatives. Perhaps you can discuss with the installer and see if he can offer any suggestions.

Price quoted was INR 3,000 for the kit including 2 sensors + display unit. However got 10% discount on all accessories including the MMI headrests.

Btw, Never thanked you for the all the info you gave about MMI headrests and others. Thanks buddy.
vaspro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 20:18   #7571
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the pics vaspro

Also you have mentioned it is just 2 sensors, where has it been placed in the front bumper? Can you also post a pic of the sensors from outside?
Old 26th August 2015, 21:00   #7572
BHPian

Quote:
My car had it's first minor injury today while taking it out from my parking, it was all my mistake I judged the space wrong, while I was concentrating more on the rear could not notice a small wall and the front left side brushed the wall, here is what happened to my car

Did you get your car repaired? If yes can you share some details around it.
Ouch!!! That must be a painful feeling. However the good part from this is that the scratch is not too bad and almost at the lower end hardly visible from outside. Having said that since you're going to the service centre ask their opinion and keep us updated. Hope it gets resolved soon and you have a scratch free drive. DO update details if/when done.
Old 26th August 2015, 21:10   #7573
Team-BHP Support

A small place like mine, on average sells ~10 XUV's a month. Since launch quite a few cars got sold and a minor percentage of them met with accidents, but no casualty has been reported yet. I confirmed this twice. This I think might attribute to other factors but somewhat cements the fact that XUV is a safe SUV.
Came across this when an XUV had a head on collision with Scorpio and were brought for claims/repairs.
Though to share this.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 21:59   #7574
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the pics vaspro

Also you have mentioned it is just 2 sensors, where has it been placed in the front bumper? Can you also post a pic of the sensors from outside?
I didn't post the pic as it came out too dark. Will try to take a better pic tomorrow. For now here you go:
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20150826_171130jpeg8.jpg

Also refer to pic 5 in my earlier post which shows the schematic diagram, real install will be exactly similar. Sensor is placed right below the fog lamp and gives 30 degree coverage I guess (refer to pic 4 of earlier post)
Old 26th August 2015, 22:53   #7575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Awesome! Thanks for posting the pictures.

The thing seems to be near perfect with only eyesore - the audio buzzer switch is drilled into the plastic panel? Are there any different models that wouldn't need this drilling?

And if you don't mind, price please

pardon my ignorance abirnale but im really not understanding use of a forward sensor, rear makes sense but why/when would you need the fwd one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks