Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2015, 22:12   #7546
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayon View Post
Have changed my low beams to P8 HID. The results have been good

How good or bad is your experience with it? If there are any other options that I should consider, please let me know also.
PS: I bought/installed the Coozo 5D (!!) mats (with 3rd row) in my XUV. Seems perfect fit.

Amazon price 7250, but flipkart has it for 5400

http://www.amazon.in/Coozo-Car-Mats-...8&keywords=XUV
http://www.flipkart.com/coozo-5d-mah...er=from-search
Can you please share the pics of how they actually fit? I tried one set from a local store and the fit was excellent in second and third row, but not so good in the front seats.
Old 16th August 2015, 15:52   #7547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
Anybody running Maxxis 771 Bravo tyres on their XUV? I am planning to change tyres to A/T once I get my vehicle delivered (hopefully by 20 Aug).

I considered Yokohama Geolandar AT-S as I had good experience with Geolander AT-II+ on my Jeep. However backtracked from the idea for 2 reasons 1) Several reported incidents of weak side wall leading to many tyre bursts 2) 235/65R17 size is not sold by Yokohama in India - a dealer did have this size from import lot (his claim). I was wondering will Yokohama extend the warranty for tyres that are imported directly by dealers?

I didn't find any reviews from Indian users about Maxxis 771 Bravo (most of the times these tyres are put on Thar). However read good reviews on Australian and other foreign forums. Any comments from XUV owners running these tyres would be very helpful.

Congratulations on your new cheetah. Since you want to get A/T 's assuming it's an AWD just like I'm planning. Would love to know the variant and color. Hoping to see your ownership report soon and experience especially with the new shoes.
Old 18th August 2015, 19:38   #7548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Congratulations on your new cheetah. Since you want to get A/T 's assuming it's an AWD just like I'm planning. Would love to know the variant and color. Hoping to see your ownership report soon and experience especially with the new shoes.
@vinitbhavi, thanks. My vehicle is not yet delivered. I booked a W8 AWD in Black.

I am dillydallying about the tyre change. My driving would be 80% city and maximum 4-5 long trips in a year. I initially planned for Yokohama Geolander AT-S, after seeing the negative feedback about weak side wall, I backed out of the idea.

I didn't get any feedback about Maxxis 771 (on an XUV) in any of the Indian forums. I know many Thars are shod with them and do good in off road conditions. Not sure about their high speed manners and wet stopping capability on high ways. So not decided whether to get the A/Ts or just run on the stock tyres for sometime.
vaspro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 19:56   #7549
BHPian

Quote:
@vinitbhavi, thanks. My vehicle is not yet delivered. I booked a W8 AWD in Black.

I am dillydallying about the tyre change. My driving would be 80% city and maximum 4-5 long trips in a year. I initially planned for Yokohama Geolander AT-S, after seeing the negative feedback about weak side wall, I backed out of the idea.

I didn't get any feedback about Maxxis 771 (on an XUV) in any of the Indian forums. I know many Thars are shod with them and do good in off road conditions. Not sure about their high speed manners and wet stopping capability on high ways. So not decided whether to get the A/Ts or just run on the stock tyres for sometime.
Black is beautiful on an xuv though my personal choice would be the purple / white. You are one of the many people I know who are getting an AWD W8 and not a 2wd W10. just wanted to know since the cost of a w10 2wd is the same as w8 4wd what made you choose it over the one having sunroof rear cam and keyless entry.I would also do the same but just wanted to know your view /reason. As far as the A/T tires IMHO though anshuman of TBHP has done lots on an xuv AWD the xuv being a softroader would it do well on a proper off road scenario and if not would you take her there then and if not do you need the A/T. Hope you understand what I meant to say.
Old 19th August 2015, 11:56   #7550
BHPian

Quote:
Black is beautiful on an xuv though my personal choice would be the purple / white. You are one of the many people I know who are getting an AWD W8 and not a 2wd W10. just wanted to know since the cost of a w10 2wd is the same as w8 4wd what made you choose it over the one having sunroof rear cam and keyless entry.I would also do the same but just wanted to know your view /reason. As far as the A/T tires IMHO though anshuman of TBHP has done lots on an xuv AWD the xuv being a softroader would it do well on a proper off road scenario and if not would you take her there then and if not do you need the A/T. Hope you understand what I meant to say.
I have seen many white XUVs on road than the purple ones post refresh. XUV looks stunning in both colors. We checked out the dealer's stock yard before making the decision. We were choosing between Red and Black though.

Regarding my choice for W8 AWD rather than W10 FWD-
1. Both me and my wife are not comfortable with the sunroof (leaving its novelty factor aside). My personal opinion is that cutting a hole for sunroof will invariably weaken the body shell rigidity and integrity. Of course Mahindra would have strengthened other areas of the shell to compensate for this.

2. Maintenance of the sunroof once the vehicle is couple of years old is also a factor in our minds. Especially the danger of rain water leaking into the cabin and spoiling the interiors - hence I wanted a car without sunroof

3. Choosing between FWD and AWD- well, I was a Jeeper for a while. Owned a MM540DP 4X4 and did some off road trails. Having first hand seen the advantage of the 4 wheel drive vehicles I cannot bring myself to buy a FWD SUV. Yes I understand that XUV is no Jeep and its not meant for offroad trails. However it will give you advantage in hilly, slippery terrains and make the journey much more safe.

4. Between H/T and A/T tyres- Again my experience with Yokohama Geolandars on my Jeep is excellent. Their wet stopping power is really good. Since I am going with an AWD I thought it would be appropriate to equip with correct type of tyres. However i haven't decided on this yet. Even if i keep stock tyres for now, will definitely change to ATs in a year's time.

So between W8AWD and W10 FWD these are the differences
a) Electric sunroof - we don't want it.
b) Reverse parking camera - i am getting this as an accessory
c) Electrically height adjustable seats - Since it doesn't have "memory" function. I can live with manual height adjust seats in W8
d) Start/stop button - it doesn't matter for me, fine with turning the key to start
e) Brake Energy Regenration - nice to have, can live with out it
f) Voice messaging system - not sure about its usage so cant comment
g) Logo projection lamps - no thank you
h) Window Chrome lining - am indifferent to this so it doesn't matter

so apart from the above listed, W8 has all the bells & whistles. Most important being ESP, Hill start/descent assist, 6 airbags, FAC. I finalized W8 AWD even before the facelift however decided to wait and see how the facelift turns out.

Just my thought process, no offense meant to anybody
vaspro is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 18:02   #7551
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen many white XUVs on road than the purple ones post refresh. XUV looks stunning in both colors. We checked out the dealer's stock yard before making the decision. We were choosing between Red and Black though.
Dear Vaspro,
Appreciate your detailed reply.
1.Totally agree with you on point 1, besides everything you have said the usage factor of a sunroof in cities like Bombay, Bangalore is very limited, However wifey insists I go In for it because of my twin baby boys. Will try to convince otherwise.
2. Also agree with you about the awd , but is it as good as the 4x4 or at least comparable without low gear ratios. Does traction make so much of a difference even in absence of low gear ratios as compared to 2WD. Also if I go in for the Autobox 4wd will it make a difference. Read somewhere car also becomes heavier how much of a difference is it and will it require extra maintenance. Sorry for all the questions but it makes sense to ask a jeeper
3.Since you may plan a change to A/T in a years time wont the current tires value depreciate and so isn't it better to change them when you get the best deal for your stock tires that is at the beginning. No offence just my 2 cents.
Also how much will be the price difference after exchange and will they be wider as per manufacturers specs or all have the same width.
4.Can you please post a link/ details about the retro fit reverse cam.
5.Absolutely agree without memory function seat height adjust isn't that useful.
6.My current vehicle has an auto start/stop and on demand entry but usage is limited and novelty only in the beginning. So agree.
f/g/h have only initial novelty factors so not of much use.
All in all totally agree with you I know I've said that before now the only task is to convince the wife.

Cheers
vinit

Last edited by aah78 : 21st August 2015 at 19:42. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 20th August 2015, 19:47   #7552
BHPian

Quote:
2. Also agree with you about the awd , but is it as good as the 4x4 or at least comparable without low gear ratios. Does traction make so much of a difference even in absence of low gear ratios as compared to 2WD. Also if I go in for the Autobox 4wd will it make a difference. Read somewhere car also becomes heavier how much of a difference is it and will it require extra maintenance. Sorry for all the questions but it makes sense to ask a jeeper

3.Since you may plan a change to A/T in a years time wont the current tires value depreciate and so isn't it better to change them when you get the best deal for your stock tires that is at the beginning. No offence just my 2 cents.
Also how much will be the price difference after exchange and will they be wider as per manufacturers specs or all have the same width.
4.Can you please post a link/ details about the retro fit reverse cam.

All in all totally agree with you I know I've said that before now the only task is to convince the wife.
2) Vinit, not all the 4X4s or even AWDs are made equal. There are many threads in 4X4 section which provide detailed overview of various technologies. Having said that, XUV500 AWD should be equal to a 4H mode in any other vehicle with open differential. XUV uses BorgWarner NexTracTM system in what they call interactive torque management.

There is no 4X4 vehicle out there that cannot be bogged down, it doesn't matter if the vehicle has low gear, differential locks etc ...heck even a battle tank can get bogged down. This is where driver's skill comes into picture. You should understand the advantages and disadvantages of your vehicle and leverage them for getting out of the tricky situations. One has to look at having AWD as additional assistance available for the driver rather than treating it as license to rash driving in difficult terrains.

If you ask "is AWD necessary?", the answer would be both yes and no. You need to think about how you are going to use your vehicle and decide whether you require AWD for given use cases. In my case I wanted to tourer which gives me confidence to go to remote places which I might otherwise have not ventured. It might be true that many others might have done the same routes in sedans or even M800s, for me having AWD gives a bit of extra comfort. If not for the parking space problem I would have bought sedan for family drives and a Thar for satiating my offroad cravings

3) I checked my vehicle today (yay!) it came with Appollo Apterra tyres. Spoke to few tyre dealers and they are offering abysmal exchange rates for Appollo's. My only reason for differing immediate tyre change is due to vitamin M deficiency (my OTR price is touching 19.35laks already)

4) Today SA told me that reverse parking camera with intelligent parking guides is not yet released as accessory. He mentioned that W8 & W10 share the same parking cam and W6 & W4 have older cam. As per him it might take a month for them get the cam (I don't know if its true) so will have to wait.

My friend, the last sentence- many men tried but they just couldn't succeed (including me) to convince their home department . Best of luck
vaspro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 20:54   #7553
BHPian

Quote:
2) Vinit, not all the 4X4s or even AWDs are made equal. There are many threads in 4X4 section which provide detailed overview of various technologies. Having said that, XUV500 AWD should be equal to a 4H mode in any other vehicle with open differential. XUV uses BorgWarner NexTracTM system in what they call interactive torque management.

There is no 4X4 vehicle out there that cannot be bogged down, it doesn't matter if the vehicle has low gear, differential locks etc ...heck even a battle tank can get bogged down. This is where driver's skill comes into picture. You should understand the advantages and disadvantages of your vehicle and leverage them for getting out of the tricky situations. One has to look at having AWD as additional assistance available for the driver rather than treating it as license to rash driving in difficult terrains.

My friend, the last sentence- many men tried but they just couldn't succeed (including me) to convince their home department . Best of luck
1.Again appreciate the detailed information. Will catch up on other threads to know about 4H et. all. Having said that find it a little bit uncomfortable to let the cars computer decide to change from 2wd/4wd is there an indication lamp to show that one is running 4wd. This is however still better than vehicles where you need to downshift to neutral to change the drive.
2.heartiest congratulations on your new cheetah. eagerly awaiting your comments and ownership report.Can understand in a sense that 20 L is kind of a psychological factor so best avoid changing tires right away. SOme forums have mentioned the bridgestone duelers have a slight advantage over the appollos. Is there a way to get them changed. whats your opinion though it shouldn't matter if you will change the tires soon.
3.Good to know the exact same rev. cam can be fitted on the W8 as well, this definitely adds to another reason to get the W8 and just upgrade the camera
4.No comments on the last sentence
Old 21st August 2015, 10:06   #7554
BHPian

Need some guidance from fellow XUV owners.

Recently, had a minor accident damaging the right side front bumper and fender of my XUV (W4). A kid riding a Scooty in a wrong side crashed between right side front wheel and bumper. The car was stationary as I saw him coming from wrong direction, but he got nervous and crashed straight on my right side front fender / wheel / bumper. No injury to kid but it did cause some damage to the car and it appears the joint between right side front fender and bumper got dislocated.

I visited the Mahindra Service Centre for repair. SC directed me to visit Body shop in another location. At Body shop, after inspection SR quoted total sum of Rs. 23,000/-. SR told me that no repair is possible as the internal lock between fender and bumper is broken and entire right side fender and front bumper needs replacement.

I am attaching few pictures of damaged fender and bumper.

Name:  Damaged_Bumper_1.png
Views: 3162
Size:  388.3 KB

Name:  Damaged_Bumper2.png
Views: 3184
Size:  333.1 KB

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-damaged_bumper3.jpg

My queries are,

1. Considering the damage shown in the above pictures, do I really need to change the entire front bumper and right side front fender?

2. Is the price quoted by Mahindra Body Shop is reasonable?

3. Is there any other way that I can avoid this cost and get this damage rectified from some other workshop? If yes, then request Pune based XUV owners to guide me on any trustworthy body workshop, where I can repair this damage in reasonable cost.

Request for your advise.
Old 21st August 2015, 10:41   #7555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyth78 View Post

My queries are,

1. Considering the damage shown in the above pictures, do I really need to change the entire front bumper and right side front fender?

3. Is there any other way that I can avoid this cost and get this damage rectified from some other workshop? If yes, then request Pune based XUV owners to guide me on any trustworthy body workshop, where I can repair this damage in reasonable cost.

Request for your advise.
23K for small damage !! Do you have Bosch service center in Pune? If so, you can take it there and check. Is this damage to fender/bumper causing any issues while driving ? If not, can you live with it? 23K is too much to pay for this minor damage in my opinion.
Indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 11:18   #7556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
23K for small damage !! Do you have Bosch service center in Pune? If so, you can take it there and check. Is this damage to fender/bumper causing any issues while driving ? If not, can you live with it? 23K is too much to pay for this minor damage in my opinion.
Thanks.

Need to check about Bosch service center in Pune.

No, this damage is not causing any issue while driving, but as we all want our car to be scratch and dent free so little eager to get it repaired.

Completely agree that 23K is too huge amount to spend for this minor damage either in cash or through insurance. If I do not find any other alternative, then I have to live with it.
Old 21st August 2015, 11:33   #7557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayon View Post
Have changed my low beams to P8 HID. The results have been good
Where did you get it changed and at what price? Any contacts/links?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
Can you please share the pics of how they actually fit? I tried one set from a local store and the fit was excellent in second and third row, but not so good in the front seats.
It was me who bought the Coozo mats. His comment got messed up somehow. Any ways, I will post a pic in couple of days. For me, the second row is the one with issue. But that could also be due to the floor not being flat in second row. Need to get it checked in the next service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Have you checked about this brand from anybody else or was it a random search? Because I see that it is sold by different users and the other dealer is retailing it at 8999/-, whereas the first dealer is retailing at 3200/-. Somewhere I sense it is not of a good quality, until and unless somebody who are using it can comment on it. Also I don't see any reviews on that product.

Please keep us updated if you go ahead with the same, as even I am planning for one
It was indeed a random search. Though now I am more inclined towards the Osram kit for 11,000. I am still researching. Will update here if I get it done.

The low beam is a pain.
vjjustin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 19:24   #7558
BHPian

Quote:
SC directed me to visit Body shop in another location. At Body shop, after inspection SR quoted total sum of Rs. 23,000/-. SR told me that no repair is possible as the internal lock between fender and bumper is broken and entire right side fender and front bumper needs replacement.

My queries are,

Request for your advise.
Ouch! that's ridiculously high price for this kind of damage. An year ago a friend of mine had similar damage to bumper on his Optra. As usual the service center asked him to change entire bumper. However he visited a workshop (Sai Colororium in Bangalore) they did an awesome job in repairing the bumper and painted it in a way that you will never know it ever had a repair at all, it cost less than 4k.

My advice would be to go to a reputed private garage and get it repaired.
vaspro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 12:04   #7559
BHPian

Quote:

Request for your advise.
I had a similar fender bender like yours , I showed it to my SA and he got one of the workers to put in a jugad using binding wire and making holes on the inside to bring them closer, so far it has worked and you cant see the wire, depends on how neatly the person works on it.
falconion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 12:09   #7560
adu
BHPian

Quote:
Ouch! that's ridiculously high price for this kind of damage. An year ago a friend of mine had similar damage to bumper on his Optra. As usual the service center asked him to change entire bumper. However he visited a workshop (Sai Colororium in Bangalore) they did an awesome job in repairing the bumper and painted it in a way that you will never know it ever had a repair at all, it cost less than 4k.

My advice would be to go to a reputed private garage and get it repaired.
Have to agree with your input on Sai Colourium. I have heard good things about the work they do and at rates that are almost 25-30% of what the Authorised Service Stations charge.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks