Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2015, 14:03   #7396
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

I test drove the Mahindra XUV 500 facelift W10 variant. To say, I was not impressed.

Although I appreciate the efforts they have taken to include improvements based on customer feedback, there is still a long way before they can compete with the likes of the Duster or the Yeti.

The matt finish dashboard is a pleasant addition, feels premium and no reflection in the windshield.

The steering although new, is still a bit vague for my taste.

The vibrations at idle are similar to something in a Scorpio, which I also test drove back to back after the XUV.

The thing Mahindra needs to focus on is ergonomics. The gear lever is just a tad bit more angled towards the left from the driver and i had to make a new angle to make my palm reach the gear lever, whilst resting my elbow on the armrest. I was not particularly comfortable and my back started to hurt a bit after spending 10 minutes on the driving seat. There is lack of lumbar support.

The new electric seats are a bit jerky, to say the least. The movement is silent though.

Only plus point I feel is the drivability of the engine is excellent in any gear. Coming to the gears, the second gear was very difficult to engage, I kept engaging 4th instead of 2nd. I feel the instrument cluster of the Scorpio is much more ergonomic and clear than the XUV500's.

The on-road pricing in Ahmedabad is around 17 lacs give or take 10-20k based on insurance deals. I don't think it is a worthy competitor to the Yeti or the Duster(much much cheaper and much more drivable) or even the Innova. Driving an Innova for last 8 years, I might be biased but its the best bet if you are spending 17 odd lacs on a car in this segment. The all new 2016 Innova will gun for the XUV and I think it will carve a large dent in XUV's sales.

On another note, features are a whole lot more than any other car in the segment. The moment I sat in the car, the voice message played, "your XUV is running on reserve fuel". Creepy, but nice! The sunroof is large enough to pop one adult out. The buttons, oh my disappointment. I hoped and hoped they would have changed the dampness of the buttons in the centre console and the steering but no, a cheap sounding clicking sound overtime you press a button in the console is not at all pleasant. The console also creaked when I took sharp turns. Coming to turns, there is quite a bit of body roll considering it is a monocoque platform.

It has a rear view camera with dynamic angles but the system was very glitchy and not as clear as the on in the Innova.

The "start/stop" button is located too low to reach without seeing.

The pedals are bit too upright and your ankles will hurt if you're sitting in the wrong position. All these things didn't make me feel at home, which many cars successfully do these days.

I went in with a hope to find a worthy successor to my trusty Innova, but I came out only disappointed overall by the product, and the experience in the showroom. While I was driving the XUV, the SA who had accompanied me was talking on the phone about some house deal with his broker and the next time when I went in the Scorpio, I was accompanied by a different SA, who did not bother to speak at all!! I felt like a driver chauffeuring the SAs on a joy ride.

Any way that might be dealer specific, they never asked me when I was planning to buy the car and never offered a price list, I managed to flick one up on my way out from the reception desk.

You might feel the review is biased towards only the driving experience and not overall on the whole car, but I don't have a chauffeur, so I drive myself all the time. Hence I was not bothered to check out the rear of the car which I know Mahindra has done a good job on keeping all seven occupants comfortable.

I would buy the Scorpio instead! Will write up on the Scorpio in the respective thread.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 8th June 2015 at 14:04.
adi_petrolhead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 15:35   #7397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
The on-road pricing in Ahmedabad is around 17 lacs give or take 10-20k based on insurance deals. I don't think it is a worthy competitor to the Yeti or the Duster(much much cheaper and much more drivable) or even the Innova. Driving an Innova for last 8 years, I might be biased but its the best bet if you are spending 17 odd lacs on a car in this segment. The all new 2016 Innova will gun for the XUV and I think it will carve a large dent in XUV's sales.
Although I respect your opinion on your other observations, the above quoted remark is definitely not true.

Ex-showroom prices in Mumbai -

Yeti 4x4 - 22,35,330/-
Duster 110PS AWD - 13/55/296/-
XUV W10 AWD - 15,85,406/-

Yeti 4x2 - 20,61,040/-
Duster 110 PS 4x2 - 12,43,266/-
XUV W10 4x2 - 14,82/496/-
Innova ZX 4x2 - 15,65,560/-

The Yeti is almost 6-7 Lacs INR more than the XUV. For that price, is it even a competitor to the XUV? I feel it is a segment above the XUV.

Duster is surely a cheaper vehicle than the XUV but it is much smaller and definitely not great with ergonomics either!

The Innova already costs a Lac more than the XUV inspite of the XUV being more powerful, more refined, more fuel efficient, more feature loaded and more safe. Knowing Toyota, the 2016 Innova will be even more expensive. Anyways, I am quite surprised that you found the Innova more comfortable than the XUV! XUV's cabin feels far more refined and plush. Also, the seats are way better.

Anyways, to each his own. I will not contest or challenge your personal opinions.
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 15:52   #7398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk016 View Post
I have a XUV5OO W8 FWD variant, i have had it for almost 2 years and the experience has been good mostly. The car has clocked 40k now and at my last visit to the ASC met a fellow XUV owner and found that his cheetah gives him 13.5 to 14 kmpl with tank full to tank full. I have always had a mileage of only 10.5 to 11.7 I initially thought it might be due to my driving style, so I decided to do a thorough mileage check with optimum driving and road conditions and still came up with a mileage only of 11.75.
I have started to doubt if there is anything wrong with my cheetah. I would really appreciate any feed back from fellow Bhpians in this regard.
Don't worry too much on this, MSK. I have the W8 FWD too for the past two years, although I have clocked only about 18000 kms on it so far. I have always had a FE of around 12 kmpl. It goes up to 14 kmpl on long drives or goes down to 11.5 in the city. The MID shows around 12 most of the time since I drive outside the city quite often, which balances the lower FE in the city.

I'd say what you are seeing is the norm for most of us with the same variant. It also depends on how much AC usage you have, for example my AC is on almost 100% of the time, since I don't like the dust and noise. If it means a kmpl less, I'm OK with that. What is your AC usage pattern?
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 15:58   #7399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Ex-showroom prices in Mumbai -

Yeti 4x4 - 22,35,330/-
Duster 110PS AWD - 13/55/296/-
XUV W10 AWD - 15,85,406/-

The Yeti is almost 6-7 Lacs INR more than the XUV. For that price, is it even a competitor to the XUV? I feel it is a segment above the XUV.
Anyways, to each his own. I will not contest or challenge your personal opinions.
As I said, I was satisfied with the drivability of the car, that includes in gear acceleration and power delivery. But, my expectations were just too high, and that fell short because of certain elements like the quality of switches and overall fit and finish. For instance the Start Stop button is located too low for any sort of Convenience. And it is not well integrated in the dash, it appears like an after market add on. Something like what Ford have pulled off with the Ecosport, that would be much better, much more integrated.

Why I compare it to the Yeti? Yes, the Yeti is over priced but the specs are very very similar. Both have about 140 bhp, 320+ nm torque, AWD, while the Yeti seats 5, the XUV seats 7 in comfort, XUV is much roomier in the rear, etc. But, given the specs, I compared the two because there is not much difference.

The Duster is also less powerful than both, yet it is a similar attempt for a compact SUV. I felt Duster's controls, materials used inside, and drivability in terms of refinement is much better that the XUV. Yes it lacks the luxurious feel a Yeti would have, but everything works and every thing is in its expected place.

Innova is a car which is very special, I have used it extensively and the fact that I can travel in it without worrying about reliability issues, and that this is our 3rd Innova in 10 years, (before that it was a Qualis) is proof enough why my review is biased. As I said, the only major lacking that I felt was ergonomics. the gear lever could be a bit closer to the driver if they wished, and a pedals angle could be a bit less upright. They could go for silently operated buttons in the centre console, etc. For me these are very bothersome bits if I have to drive the car every day. If I had a chauffeur I would definitely go for the XUV and be happy in the rear bench.

Front seat comfort, hands down goes to the Innova, followed by the Yeti.

Thanks for the healthy discussion. At the end of the day, you like something, you hate something.
adi_petrolhead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 22:10   #7400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
. It goes up to 14 kmpl on long drives or goes down to 11.5 in the city. The MID shows around 12 most of the time since I drive outside the city quite often, which balances the lower FE in the city.

I'd say what you are seeing is the norm for most of us with the same variant. It also depends on how much AC usage you have, for example my AC is on almost 100% of the time, since I don't like the dust and noise. If it means a kmpl less, I'm OK with that. What is your AC usage pattern?
Thanks Stryker for sharing your experience with the XUV. I must admit that I never drive without the AC, be it within the city or on the highway. I too hate the dust and the noise.
I always fill up my tank, therefore also calculate my mileage everytime. I am a bit worried because even on long stretches where I drive highway to highway, I never manage to get anything more than 11.8 and hearing that it can go up to 14 on long drives, I wonder what am I doing wrong?? Anyways, I will try to calculate once again, with the AC off this time and be very gentle with the breaks and the accelerator. Hope I get a higher figure this time.
Old 9th June 2015, 06:27   #7401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk016 View Post
I am a bit worried because even on long stretches where I drive highway to highway, I never manage to get anything more than 11.8 and hearing that it can go up to 14 on long drives, I wonder what am I doing wrong?? Anyways, I will try to calculate once again, with the AC off this time and be very gentle with the breaks and the accelerator. Hope I get a higher figure this time.
Next time when you leave for highway, first of all reset your average fuel statistics and then check your fuel consumption after driving it for some time.
Old 9th June 2015, 09:49   #7402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
Next time when you leave for highway, first of all reset your average fuel statistics and then check your fuel consumption after driving it for some time.
Exactly what I was about to suggest. If you don't reset your stats, it will average over all the kms it has clocked since the last reset, so that data won't be valid for that trip. I always reset whenever I start out on a long drive so that I get more accurate readings. It doesn't matter if you filled up your tank or not, that is more to verify whether what you are calculating is similar to what the MID is showing.
Old 9th June 2015, 11:33   #7403
BHPian

Quote:
As I said, I was satisfied with the drivability of the car, that includes in gear acceleration and power delivery. But, my expectations were just too high, and that fell short because of certain elements like the quality of switches and overall fit and finish. For instance the Start Stop button is located too low for any sort of Convenience. And it is not well integrated in the dash, it appears like an after market add on. Something like what Ford have pulled off with the Ecosport, that would be much better, much more integrated.

Innova is a car which is very special, I have used it extensively and the fact that I can travel in it without worrying about reliability issues, and that this is our 3rd Innova in 10 years, (before that it was a Qualis) is proof enough why my review is biased. As I said, the only major lacking that I felt was ergonomics. the gear lever could be a bit closer to the driver if they wished, and a pedals angle could be a bit less upright. They could go for silently operated buttons in the centre console, etc. For me these are very bothersome bits if I have to drive the car every day. If I had a chauffeur I would definitely go for the XUV and be happy in the rear bench.

Front seat comfort, hands down goes to the Innova, followed by the Yeti.

Thanks for the healthy discussion. At the end of the day, you like something, you hate something.
I would say the Innova and XUV are 2 different categories. I am on the car 4000km a month and most of it self drive on long drives. Have owned both Innova and now XUV.
Personally I feel the Innova is better in handling / driving / gear slotting / front seat comfort (stiff seats, especially for my back) and XUV is better in terms of engine power, 6th gear, fuel efficiency, front seat ergonomics and under thigh support. Rear seats are for the family but XUV is way more comfortable in the middle row.
The cost of long term ownership , Regular service costs are lower for Innova where as it is higher for XUV. Resale value is something no vehicle can beat the Innova. But is this enough to justify the initial high cost of the vehicle? Maybe Toyota makes its money on sales rather than service like most car producers....
balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 15:11   #7404

Quote:
I test drove the Mahindra XUV 500 facelift W10 variant. To say, I was not impressed. .
You are a hard man to please. Fact is your entire opinion will change the day you buy it,its because something called pride of ownership kicks in. The vehicle becomes your identity and you want to take pride in what you have settled for. Also, the vehicle grows on you and you get used to it. No 2 cars are the same and each one has to get accustomed to. The run in period isn't just for the machine, its also for the man. Both have to get used to each other.
I have switched to an XUV from a Merc E class and am well pleased with the efforts of M&M. Even if there are any minor drawbacks,I can live with it because hey, its an Indian car made by an Indian Co., Indian components with no major outflow of forex. That's good for me.

Having said that, M&M could have made more substantive changes rather than a meagre 31 official ones. When Mercedes E class was upgraded in 2007, the facelift version had 2000 official technical improvements. In this respect I would say Mahindra has missed an opportunity.
Just my 2 cents.
Spiritualuv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 10:38   #7405
Senior - BHPian

Fellow Bhpians,

Has anybody tried on this relay for DRL as mentioned in the manual. If a relay is added there, will the parking lamps work as a DRL?

This is a screen shot of the relay for DRL specified on Owner's Manual:

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-drl-fuse.jpg

Last edited by fusionbang : 10th June 2015 at 10:41.
Old 10th June 2015, 17:11   #7406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Fellow Bhpians,

Has anybody tried on this relay for DRL as mentioned in the manual. If a relay is added there, will the parking lamps work as a DRL?

This is a screen shot of the relay for DRL specified on Owner's Manual:

Attachment 1380381
I dont know about the relay, but I am wondering even if you manage this, will the LEDs on the old XUV be bright enough to be visible in sunlight. they are bright enough only for dawn/dusk situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritualuv View Post
Having said that, M&M could have made more substantive changes rather than a meagre 31 official ones. When Mercedes E class was upgraded in 2007, the facelift version had 2000 official technical improvements. In this respect I would say Mahindra has missed an opportunity.
Just my 2 cents.
Not sure if comparing Merc E class with XUV is the right comparison. However keeping Indian market as a reference point I believe XUV has certainly done an upgrade which is more than skin deep. Its not like Maruti's "all new" swift/wagonR/dzire launches where they just change the chrome on the grill and call it an update. Out of the 31 updates there are tweaks to suspension. gear box, engine, interior colors, internal acoustics, new infotainment which in my opinion are big enough updates for a product which is reasonably competent.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th June 2015 at 18:09.
Old 10th June 2015, 17:40   #7407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
Rear seats are for the family but XUV is way more comfortable in the middle row.
XUV's middle row is more comfortable than the captain seats on Innova ? Apart from this , I feel that XUV s middle row seats are placed a bit higher . Even the middle row passengers get the view of the road (which is good).
Old 10th June 2015, 18:03   #7408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
I dont know about the relay, but I am wondering even if you manage this, will the LEDs on the old XUV be bright enough to be visible in sunlight. they are bright enough only for dawn/dusk situation
I am not exactly sure how bright are the LED's during sunlight, but IMO it should suffice for highway runs. There is a saying "Something is better than Nothing"

And anyway during dawn if you have your auto lamps on, the LED's are barely visible with the low beams on.
Old 10th June 2015, 18:15   #7409
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
.... Out of the 31 updates there are tweaks to suspension. gear box, engine, interior colors, internal acoustics, new infotainment which in my opinion are big enough updates for a product which is reasonably competent.
supertinu, Never heard of the 31 updates. Any link that you can point me to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
I am not exactly sure how bright are the LED's during sunlight, but IMO it should suffice for highway runs. There is a saying "Something is better than Nothing"

And anyway during dawn if you have your auto lamps on, the LED's are barely visible with the low beams on.
The LEDs on our XUVs are really feeble. Barely visible during the day.
On highway runs during the day, I keep the otherwise-useless fog-lamps on to improve my car's visibility to other cars.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 18:38   #7410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
supertinu, Never heard of the 31 updates. Any link that you can point me to?
SDP, i was referring to SpiritualUV's comment of 31 official updates. Assuming he has some data on it. BUt I think counting 31 wont be tough since Mahindra would consider removing the rear light motiff also as a change

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks