Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2015, 10:10   #7351

So far the major changes seem to be improved suspension and ESP 9. Suspension might be possible to backport to the old XUV but I doubt ESP9 can be retrofitted. Don't think zoom on reverse camera is such a useful feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
The features you have mentioned are of W10 and not of W8. But there are many updates across all models which is worth it.

Still if you interested in the facelift you can do one thing, you can enquire about the exchange value of your XUV with both W8 and W10. If you feel its worth the exchange go for it. But at least enquire and let the forum know, there might be more members here who might be interested.

Its better than seeing a new XUV crossing you every time and you getting disheartened.
Did anyone read this part?

"Beneath the hood of the New Age XUV500 is its improved dynamic torque which delivers driving pleasure on any terrain."

source:
http://m.mahindra.com/Who-We-Are/News/1432556696

What are they talking about here? Did they retune the engine to deliver better torque vs rpm?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 31st May 2015 at 10:36. Reason: merging posts. Please use the edit or multi-quote option if posting within 30mins on same thread.
singhangad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 11:00   #7352
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
was thinking of booking the W10 next month for the wife. i am now in doubt. feature loaded that the variant is and thats what made me lean toward it, but durability is paramount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumithb View Post
That is not a very comforting thought. What happens once the car is our of warranty

Thanks for your feedback.
I share a different perspective. A car has a lot of mechanical parts and sometimes things do go wrong. What matters to me is how the company supports me.

In case of my XUV, Mahindra has wholeheartedly accepted the faults (some were not even faults) and agreed to replace the part at my convenience at no cost to me.

I have not seen this type of customer friendly attitude in a long time. Also, M&M gives you 3 years of warranty and an additonal one year optional. This is more than enough to solve any issues like manufacturing defects.

Moreover, most of the issues have been sorted out and the newer batch of XUVs are mechanically reliable. Some electronics may develop glitches but nothing that will cause you to lose sleep over it. In the end, the company is always ready to owe up their mistakes and stand by their customers and that is why I have so much faith in this product.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 14:51   #7353

The new XUV facelift sure looks inviting with a host of features both technical and cosmetic. I do like the keyless entry, sunroof, electric driver's seat, chrome accents on windows,improved suspension,better mileage,tweaked engine/torque.

Not too impressed with the front looks as the hood is less muscular now and the front fogs have too much attention seeking chrome, although higher position of the fogs is desirable. Less chrome made the outgoing version much more muscular and masculine, which is what an SUV should be unless it wants to look like Van Diesel with earings.

The S type LED lighting is a gimmick and I've never liked it on any car. I think they look tacky and give a 'beauty parlour signboard' type of impression. The icy blue lounge lighting looks mundane compared to red which gave it a glamourous nightclub look. They should've gone for purple.

All in all Mahindra got the design right the first time around and glad they have carried out further improvements. My XUV is just shy of 2 years and I still love everything about it.
Spiritualuv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 19:09   #7354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I share a different perspective. A car has a lot of mechanical parts and sometimes things do go wrong. What matters to me is how the company supports me.
I appreciate your views, and kudos to Mahindra for standing behind their product. I would run with it if I was planning to sell the car in 5 years i.e within the extended warranty period (Mahindra now offers 2 years extended warranty for 21K), however since I plan to keep the car longer, this requires some thinking. Ah, well, probably this is one of those cases where you just have to make that leap of faith
sumithb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 22:24   #7355
BHPian

Am confused. Had a test drive of XUV and Innova VX today. XUV was awesome, however this time I plan to keep the car for at least 6 years. While Innova looks very jane, the Toyota name crops up given that I plan to keep this car for a long time. For the price of ZX on road, I can go for W10 with AWD. What do you folks recommend?
Old 1st June 2015, 01:12   #7356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
Am confused. Had a test drive of XUV and Innova VX today. XUV was awesome, however this time I plan to keep the car for at least 6 years. While Innova looks very jane, the Toyota name crops up given that I plan to keep this car for a long time. For the price of ZX on road, I can go for W10 with AWD. What do you folks recommend?
NO brainer for me . My sis has a top end Innova and I own a W8 now. When my bro in law bought the innova and crossed 100kmph he thought something was wrong with the car due to amount of engine noise that was creeping in. Even went to dealership only to be told that its normal for all innovas.

Anyways objectively thinking unless you intend to run 200000 km through secluded parts of the country in 6 yrs and need that fail safe reliability, XUV is certainly much more vfm and fun. I have had it for 2+ months now and look forward to mornings and evenings despite the bangalore's traffic
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 09:06   #7357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The XUV is much more refined, more powerful, more fuel efficient, seats are better, much more safer and feature list is so exhaustive that the Innova cannot even come close.

Do you really need the AWD? If not, buy the W10 FWD and save a cool 1 Lac. You will enjoy driving the XUV much more than the Innova.

That said, the Innova's cabin feel more tightly screwed, if I can say that! Rattles and squeaks are non-existent. But the cabin itself is so plain boring that after a stint in the XUV, I feel let down in the drab Innova.

If reliability is your only priority, choose the Innova. Else, go for the XUV.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 09:59   #7358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are looking to buy a car within the next few days/ weeks (and the choice is between the XUV and the Innova), then XUV should be the obvious choice. Reasons:
  • XUV facelift is fresh out of the oven and will retain its novelty at least for the next couple of years
  • Current Innova, a 10 year old model, is at the fag end of its life.
  • You are inclined towards Innova just because of the reliability factor and you intend to keep the car for 6 years, give it a second thought. With standard and extended warranty XUV can also give you peace of mind.
  • If you want to take your car anywhere and everywhere, even when there are no roads, only then think about the AWD, otherwise the W10 FWD should be sufficient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
NO brainer for me . My sis has a top end Innova and I own a W8 now. When my bro in law bought the innova and crossed 100kmph he thought something was wrong with the car due to amount of engine noise that was creeping in. Even went to dealership only to be told that its normal for all innovas.

Anyways objectively thinking unless you intend to run 200000 km through secluded parts of the country in 6 yrs and need that fail safe reliability, XUV is certainly much more vfm and fun. I have had it for 2+ months now and look forward to mornings and evenings despite the bangalore's traffic
with you 101%. But what an irony to my situation. My elder sister and brother-in-law, who were one of the earlier adopters of the XUV had to deal with Power Steering failure in a crowded marketplace and even the gear box replacement. That was enough to dent their confidence and even mine. She was repenting on selling her 6 year old, trustworthy Innova. She sold off her XUV within one and a half year of ownership and I lost all the appetite to go for one after going through similar other horror stories.

Moreover XUV was a very tight fit in my apartment parking. The higher turning radius of 5.6 meter and greater width, meant putting it in my parking slot would be a herculean task. So for me with a shorter turning radius, very good all round visibility, rear wheel drive, Innova was the obvious choice. But on hearing the on-road price of 16.5 lakhs for the V model, I fell flat on my face. That time itself I had made up my mind to go for an Innova, albeit a used one. There was no point in buying a new car, which is going to be phased out in 1-2 years timeframe. In 2016 the all new Innova would hit the roads. Hopefully in the new Innova, the new GD family of engines will replace the existing ones, known as 2KD-FTV in 2.5-litre guise. The 2GD 2.4-litre generates outputs of 160hp and 400Nm. However I am very apprehensive about the pricing of the all new Innova and it will surely carry a premium of at least 2-3 lacs over the equivalent XUV model.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 10:51   #7359
BHPian

Supertinu, Raj and AutoIndian, thanks guys.
AWD because of couple of reasons. #1. I don't want to regret the lack of it *after* buying. #2. I understand its an active system and hence can be useful even on a regular highways under slippery conditions.

Actually wanted to go for the fortuner, 4x4 mechanicals and the external looks aside, my family wouldn't accept the fact that everything from the console, to the music system to the seats are just the same as Innova's which is a cool 14L cheaper. I had a look at the chassis, I think the ladder too is the same - Add to that the touch screen that they have has no visibility in bright light. The new XUV's one, on the other hand, has a small cover like projection from the top and hence visibility is quite good. Like this I found lots of nice touches compared to the first generation XUV or Innova or even the fortuner that almost double the price!

All that said my main concern is this. After 6+ years would Mahindra have the same commitment to service/support this vehicle or they would have moved far ahead that commitment levels come down ? There's a little bit of personal exp. here that fuels this concern - I do observe this with my Scorpio service

Long time Innova users, can you share your experience in this regard ?

Last edited by chandras1 : 1st June 2015 at 10:55. Reason: Add some minor changes and fix spelling
Old 1st June 2015, 13:33   #7360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Can someone advise me on the 50K service of XUV5OO
Expected budget, parts to be replaced etc.

Its almost 48K now, have to get it for service in about a month or less.

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Depends on how long you want to keep the XUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
In the end, the company is always ready to owe up their mistakes and stand by their customers and that is why I have so much faith in this product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
I own a W8 now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
>
Apologies for quoting you on this post, but I am seriously looking at understanding what I would expect from the 50K service of my XUV 5OO. I had made a post a bit earlier but was not able to get any assistance.

Ravi Sir - has your purple cheetah crossed the 50K service ?
Old 1st June 2015, 13:57   #7361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Supertinu, Raj and AutoIndian, thanks guys.
My pleasure.

Quote:
AWD because of couple of reasons. #1. I don't want to regret the lack of it *after* buying. #2. I understand its an active system and hence can be useful even on a regular highways under slippery conditions.
If you have a strong case for AWD, then go for it. In his recent trip to the North-East India, J.Ravi Sir's XUV got stuck into a pit on a snow covered road. I believe if he was driving an AWD, he would not have been in that situation.

Quote:
Actually wanted to go for the fortuner, 4x4 mechanicals and the external looks aside, my family wouldn't accept the fact that everything from the console, to the music system to the seats are just the same as Innova's which is a cool 14L cheaper.
You are spot on. Unless you are smitten by the rugged and menacing looks of the Fortuner, there is no point in going for it over the Innova. In fact many BHPIans and others have found the ride of Innova far better than the Fortuner.

Quote:
All that said my main concern is this. After 6+ years would Mahindra have the same commitment to service/support this vehicle or they would have moved far ahead that commitment levels come down ? There's a little bit of personal exp. here that fuels this concern - I do observe this with my Scorpio service

Long time Innova users, can you share your experience in this regard ?
Going by the experience of many XUV owners over here, Mahindra has upped its ante as far as servicing the XUV is concerned. You might not have had that good experience with you Scorpio, however XUV customers are treated differently (it being one of Mahindra's premium offerings). I am sure their service levels are only going to get better from hereon.

Innova or Toyota service is altogether on a different level. It can easily set the benchmark, they are very professional, won't try to deceive or fool you, stick to their commitments. This is one of the reasons I opted for a used Innova, whose service history was almost unknown to me. I knew at the back of my mind, that even if I uncover any issues, there is a very credible service network to take care of any eventualities.
Old 1st June 2015, 14:09   #7362
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Apologies for quoting you on this post, but I am seriously looking at understanding what I would expect from the 50K service of my XUV 5OO. I had made a post a bit earlier but was not able to get any assistance.
Didn't comment earlier as I don't have first hand experience. But from whatever I remember mentioned in the service manual, its pretty much a regular service and should not cost more than 10-12 thousand Rs (including wheel-balancing and alignment).

30K is sort of a dummy service, with no real consumables replaced. So the expense is just ~2100 rs for paid service labour and another 1000 Rs for cabin-air filter, WA+WB for another 1000-1200 Rs... overall around 4500Rs including taxes. Most likely even the 50K service would be a dummy service, where they primarily check/inspect stuff rather than replace consumables. In that case may be it would be in the 4.5K Rs range.

People who have already clocked 50K+ can provide more accurate feedback.

Last edited by SDP : 1st June 2015 at 14:15.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 14:31   #7363
J.Ravi

Quote:
Ravi Sir - has your purple cheetah crossed the 50K service ?
No. Mine has crossed 30 k km.

I logged into withyouhamesha.com and here are details of the works that are required to be carried out at 50 k km service as per the service cost calculator:

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-50kservice.jpg
  (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 15:44   #7364
BHPian

Had gone to the Mahindra showroom saturday and got the price quote for W10 FWD (the new/refreshed version):

ex-showroom: 1501600
Registration/Road tax: 123728
Comprehensive insurace: 60847
Handling charges: 7500
Shield: 21348

+ They can give around 10% discount on any accessories that i chose to add on.

My question to the group: is there some flex with the dealers on insurance, handling charges or shield or do i more or less take this as what the cost is going to be?

Aside, did a very short drive of the vehicle (a W8 FWD). The dealer said he can arrange for a proper test drive of a W10 this week as thats when the TD vehicle is arriving. This was my first time on a vehicle so high in seating! The only other time has been the Outlander and the Pajero Sport. Found the M&M softly sprung. Maybe i will get used to it after some use.

cheers.
Old 1st June 2015, 16:05   #7365
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Had gone to the Mahindra showroom saturday and got the price quote for W10 FWD (the new/refreshed version):

ex-showroom: 1501600
Registration/Road tax: 123728
Comprehensive insurace: 60847
Handling charges: 7500
Shield: 21348

+ They can give around 10% discount on any accessories that i chose to add on.

My question to the group: is there some flex with the dealers on insurance, handling charges or shield or do i more or less take this as what the cost is going to be?
Shield - you can not do much. The prices are fixed at Mahindra level and the dealer margin is thin.
Handling Charges - Quite on the higher side. You can negotiate.
Insurance - Comprehensive insurance at 60K is practically a fraud. Take your own insurance. My guess is, even after adding zero-depreciation, it would be at least 10-15 thousands cheaper. Get a quote from outside and show it to the dealer. Sometimes they do match it. If not, opt out of dealer provided insurance and take your own.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks