Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2015, 14:17   #7456
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamojoym View Post
When you go to the authorized service center for service show them the RC with your name and give them your address phone number and email and they would be able to do the needful in the system .
I checked the service records and the car was recently serviced in March 2015. Next service is in March 2016!!

In the mean time, I dont want to miss out on important updates / communications from Mahindra.

Once i get the car i will go for a general checkup and see if i can update the info.
Old 14th July 2015, 15:02   #7457
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rave20 View Post
I think to be on the safer side its better to get only 8GB pen drive. 16GB may be too much. Is this information mentioned anywhere in the owners manual?

Since i will be buying a used vehicle, how do i make the change the name in Mahindra systems? Has anyone any experience? I want to update the address, email and phone number to reflect my details.
Oh, you are talking about the older version XUV and not the new age XUV.
If its the pre-facelift XUV, 16GB would most likely give you a lot of problems. I use 4GB and 8GB drives and even on the 8GB drive if I copy too many songs in a relatively complex folder structure (nested folders), it does miss a few folders completely.

This info is not mentioned in the manual. Just sharing my experience.

If its the pre-facelift XUV, I am almost certain that it wont support USB3.0

My lo-beam+fog-lamps comment from earlier post was also specific to the new-age XUV. In the pre-facelift XUV, the fogs are useless and there is no option but to upgrade the lo-beam if you need even half-decent illumination on unlit highways.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 15:08   #7458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Oh, you are talking about the older version XUV and not the new age XUV.
If its the pre-facelift XUV, 16GB would most likely give you a lot of problems. I use 4GB and 8GB drives and even on the 8GB drive if I copy too many songs in a relatively complex folder structure (nested folders), it does miss a few folders completely.

This info is not mentioned in the manual. Just sharing my experience.

If its the pre-facelift XUV, I am almost certain that it wont support USB3.0

My lo-beam+fog-lamps comment from earlier post was also specific to the new-age XUV. In the pre-facelift XUV, the fogs are useless and there is no option but to upgrade the lo-beam if you need even half-decent illumination on unlit highways.
@SDP - If i have to upgrade the low beam. Which bulb should i upgrade to? Any recommendations?
Old 14th July 2015, 15:30   #7459
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@SDP - If i have to upgrade the low beam. Which bulb should i upgrade to? Any recommendations?
I have no idea about halogen bulbs, but my guess is same wattage Phillips Extreme Vision might help.

I have upgraded the lo-beam to proper xenons using a xenon conversion kit (xenon bulbs + ballasts + relays + wiring). I have Morimoto 4300K 35W kit with H7 sized xenon bulbs. It was a group-buy managed by a few friends from Bangalore. They were ordered from https://theretrofitsource.com. Apparently now there is a dealer in Mumbai who can source them without customers having to go through the hassles of importing directly and dealing with customs.
Old 14th July 2015, 16:20   #7460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hello T-Bhpians,

Finally, I took the delivery of Ecstasy - my beast (XUV 5oo – W6) on Wed, 8/7/15 from Infinity Autolinks – Vikhroli West, Mumbai. Ecstasy as this tank is going to be my drug for next couple of years (or more) when I will be looking for time off from work and this electronic chaotic world.
Congrats MantriG. You certainly got a great deal and in my view the right decision by getting W6 on the older model vs stripped down W4 on latest one. I kind of did the same by stretching and getting W8 on the older model rather than waiting and spending more with no discounts.

Quote:

So in reality, there are 20-21 changes. What M&M seems to have missed are the more important ones ..eg. subtle changes to the suspension and bad-roads-slow-speed-ride.

Anyways, you know how sales/marketting works. So the tall-claims about changes need to be excused.
Now you can't expect Mahindra to openly acknowledge that they offered a car with bumpy low speed ride . As an engg I enjoy interacting with marketing teams in my company.

Quote:
Guys,

Booked my Black XUV500 W8 AWD. Delivery expected before end of this week. I have some questions, appreciate your comments on the same

1. What is the maximum size of the USB pen drive which 2014 XUV 500 will read? based on this i am planning to order a 8GB or 16GB pen drive.
2. USB 3.0 pen drive will be read by XUV 500 (2014) model?
3. I have driven XUV on the highway before and found the low beam to be ineffective. Can we upgrade the low beam bulbs? What is recommended? Does it void warranty?

Appreciate your input.
I own the older model bought in March 2015. I am using a USB3 32GB SanDisk ultra pen drive in the infotainment system and it works like a charm. I havnt put more than 8GB data so far in the drive. It reads the drive within few seconds. Also fyi, all USB3 drives are backward compatible with USB2 and the Infotainment system is USB2 so the drive will connect in USB2 mode only. I would recommend that you buy the higher performance USB2 drives and dont go for cheapest highest capacity kind, since they will be very slow in performance.

Regarding bulb upgrade, easiest would be getting OSRAM night breakers + to begin with and see if you get some ROI. I got those on my FIgo certainly improves a bit. I would expect similar returns on XUV. Havnt done it yet though.

Last edited by supertinu : 14th July 2015 at 16:21.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 17:32   #7461
adu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hello T-Bhpians,
Finally, I took the delivery of Ecstasy - my beast (XUV 5oo – W6) on Wed, 8/7/15 from Infinity Autolinks – Vikhroli West, Mumbai. Ecstasy as this tank is going to be my drug for next couple of years (or more) when I will be looking for time off from work and this electronic chaotic world.

Congrats Gaurav and happy motoring! I own a Dolphin Grey one too so great choice on the color.

Quote:
Guys,

Booked my Black XUV500 W8 AWD. Delivery expected before end of this week. I have some questions, appreciate your comments on the same

1. What is the maximum size of the USB pen drive which 2014 XUV 500 will read? based on this i am planning to order a 8GB or 16GB pen drive.
3. I have driven XUV on the highway before and found the low beam to be ineffective. Can we upgrade the low beam bulbs? What is recommended? Does it void warranty?

Appreciate your input.
Can provide inputs on the first 2 points you have raised.

1. Based on my experience, would suggest 8GB as the system does struggle to read 16GB drives sometimes. I had this problem and switched to 8GB and have not had issues since.

2. From what knowledge I have, USB 3.0 is more to do with data transfer speeds. Hence it should not make a difference for playback of audio. However, not sure if the system in the XUV will be able to read the same as I have not tried it.

Last edited by ampere : 14th July 2015 at 17:45. Reason: Merged back to back posts
adu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 19:16   #7462
BHPian

Quote:
I have tried 8GB & 16GB sandisk ones. Both work like a charm. Got a small one similar to one in the link http://www.flipkart.com/sandisk-sdcz...CDHKXHJ2WRSGHT . Advantage is the you can plug in the usb stick and close the centre box lid. Thats not possible with longer USB drives.

Quote:
USB 3.0 drives/cables will be backward compatible. So I don't think there'll be any issues with reading.
PADAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 19:37   #7463
BHPian

Thanks for the input guys.

I have ordered this USB drive - http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00H4Y2C6A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o01_s00

Eagerly waiting for the ride to come home
Old 14th July 2015, 20:02   #7464
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys,

Appreciate your input.
I saw your post a little late but nonetheless let me answer your queries.

1. No maximum size for a USB device is mentioned anywhere. But the way the system works is that it caches the folder structure and names of the songs from each folder into the primary memory of the system. When a song plays that also gets read from the source and cached on the system and gets tracked. My experience with the old system is that even if you take a 4 gb USB drive and fill it up with too many folders and keep too many songs in it then the problem begins. As SDP mentioned, it may apparently randomly jump some folders. It may also keep forgetting the folder and the song it was playing before the system switched off. This happens because of the limited onboard memory of the silver box.

My opinion - A 4gb device with around 50 to 60% filled and with folders not more than 2 levels of depth at the most works best.

2. USB 3.0 pen drives will also get read by the older system. Don't worry. Its the same reason that a USB 3.0 pendrive can be equally effectively plugged in to the older laptops with no 3.0 ports and can still be used. Anyhow, in a static content reading scenario like this one you anyhow don't get any benefits of a 3.0 over the older standards. So its all going to be the same.

3. Refer to SDP's reply. That's a very illustrative reply.

Last edited by Zappo : 14th July 2015 at 20:03.
Zappo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 15:56   #7465
BHPian

Quote:
Hi
I have upgraded to H7 halogen (Wurth) for the low beam since 1 year. I have been using it on the stock wiring harness without issues.
manipal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 19:10   #7466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manipal View Post
Hi
I have upgraded to H7 halogen (Wurth) for the low beam since 1 year. I have been using it on the stock wiring harness without issues.
Where did you buy it from? Somewhere in Bangalore?
Old 15th July 2015, 21:34   #7467
BHPian

Quote:
Where did you buy it from? Somewhere in Bangalore?
I got it from a friends shop at Dharwad. A pair for Rs 600
Autoline, opposite bagalkot petrol pump, PB road, Mr Balu
manipal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 13:18   #7468
adu
BHPian

Fellow XUV owners,

Just wanted to inform you all that I have received the update to my maps. I had written to Mahindra Customer Care checking on when the update would be available given that it has been over a year since MMI released the new version.

Mine is a pre facelift XUV and the earlier version of my maps was 8.1 and last week I got an update done at the MASS and the new version is now 9.0. Attaching a picture of the SW version for reference.

After using it for about a week now, what I have realized is that the house/ building numbers that were reflecting on the 8.1 version is not supported on the new version. I checked with my RM and he confirmed the same and mentioned that there maybe a new software update that might be released but he does not know when.

Also, they (MASS and Nippon guys) tried updating the software through the usual method of USB and connecting the laptop to the vehicle but it just did not work and I ended up leaving the vehicle overnight (initially was supposed to be an hour's job) and they replaced the display unit (new unit came from Nippon) and then were able to manage an update. Prior to this, my ICE had no issues whatsoever and having to change the whole unit seems a waste.

I have written to Mahindra Customer Care to check on how they intend to sort out this issue of house/ building numbers missing and will update you when I receive a revert from them.

Have any of you upgraded your maps version and faced similar issues?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0184.jpg  

adu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 17:44   #7469
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adu View Post
Fellow XUV owners,

Just wanted to inform you all that I have received the update to my maps....

Mine is a pre facelift XUV and the earlier version of my maps was 8.1 and last week I got an update done at the MASS and the new version is now 9.0.

Attaching a picture of the SW version for reference.
Thanks for the update. What are the new changes in the version 9 that you have noticed (besides the missing house/building numbes)?
Old 16th July 2015, 17:57   #7470
adu
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update. What are the new changes in the version 9 that you have noticed (besides the missing house/building numbes)?

SDP, can't really notice much of a difference compared to the earlier version. Was there an option of an auto day/night screen display option in version 8.1? If not, then it is available now.

The menu remains the same, however I do feel the GPS connecting much faster than it did before. I believe the number of cities, roads and POI's has increased in this newer version.
adu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks