Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2015, 01:38   #7441
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Dear All,

One Xuv has caught fire, the description of which has been provided here.
Request you all to provide inputs -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...two-hoots.html
Old 7th July 2015, 18:53   #7442
adu
BHPian

Had a quick question around wheel alignment and balancing and rotation of tyres for XUV. How often is this required to be done and would it be a better option to get this done outside through specialized tyre centers or at the MASS?

The RM at the MASS insists it should be done at their location, however I am not sure of their expertise in this matter.

Look forward to inputs from fellow XUV owners who have got this done.
Old 7th July 2015, 20:15   #7443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adu View Post
Had a quick question around wheel alignment and balancing and rotation of tyres for XUV. How often is this required to be done and would it be a better option to get this done outside through specialized tyre centers or at the MASS?

The RM at the MASS insists it should be done at their location, however I am not sure of their expertise in this matter.

As per manual 40000kms .
I did the alignment for my xuv first time at 25000kms at a reputed alignment centre. There was a mild change in alignment and steering aligned..
Old 7th July 2015, 20:17   #7444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Wheel alignment is done at every 5000Kms and you can do balancing and rotation for every 10000Kms to be on safer side.

I would strongly recommend to get it done outside and I would prefer Madhu's on Richmond circle since you are in Bangalore. Recently I posted my experience about wheel alignment in one of the service centers and it was not up to the mark. I trust Madhu's and will get it done only with them in future as well, so anything related to tires it will be Madhu's always.
Old 7th July 2015, 20:52   #7445
adu
BHPian

Mod note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Wheel alignment is done at every 5000Kms and you can do balancing and rotation for every 10000Kms to be on safer side.

I would strongly recommend to get it done outside and I would prefer Madhu's on Richmond circle since you are in Bangalore. Recently I posted my experience about wheel alignment in one of the service centers and it was not up to the mark. I trust Madhu's and will get it done only with them in future as well, so anything related to tires it will be Madhu's always.

Thanks fusionbang. Tyre Professionals in Basavangudi is a branch of Madhus. Any idea on how good they are?

Thanks undead for your input.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th July 2015 at 20:56.
Old 7th July 2015, 21:01   #7446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tyre Professionals in Basavangudi is a branch of Madhus. Any idea on how good they are?
I have heard they are good, but I am not sure because I haven't visited them. I always go to there Richmond circle branch. Also sometimes you get to meet Mr. Nikhil who is himself a bhpian who will assist you with every possible way. Also the staff is really supportive, especially when they get to know you are a bhpian and you will be provided with 15% discount on your total bill
fusionbang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 22:54   #7447
BHPian

For last two services of my xuv at Bhasin motors, mathura road I felt quite disappointed. They don't care to resolve issues mentioned while handing over the car.
Can anybody provide feedback for koncept Mahindra, Okhla service centre?
Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 22:43   #7448
BHPian

Finally: Ecstasy is delivered!!

Hello T-Bhpians,

Finally, I took the delivery of Ecstasy - my beast (XUV 5oo – W6) on Wed, 8/7/15 from Infinity Autolinks – Vikhroli West, Mumbai. Ecstasy as this tank is going to be my drug for next couple of years (or more) when I will be looking for time off from work and this electronic chaotic world.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-unveiled.jpg

Before I proceed any further, would like to thank SDP, Fusionbang, Dreamz_mak who have been of tremendous help and all others who have been generously contributing on this website with their individual ownership experiences and sharing the wisdom which makes all of wiser with every passing day.

A special thanks to SDP’s - DUMA, he has been extremely helpful in my decision making. His story has been like a daily soap to me, I would look forward to new updates with every passing day since 30th June 2012 when he was delivered.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-delivery.jpg

After long contemplation and feedback from our trusted T-Bhpians, I steered towards buying a new W4 instead of pre-owned W8 in the same budget. Since I was aware that refreshed version was just around the corner, I decided to hold on despite of having sold my earlier vehicle (Xylo E8 – 2009 model) in early April’15. Two months of wait did prove to be extremely helpful as I was able to get the older version of W6 in almost the same price of refreshed W4.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-teaser-pic.jpg

Why XUV?

It had to be an XUV since it was launched. For some reason, I had fallen in love with the car and had decided that XUV had to be my next purchase. Since 2012, every year I kept saving religiously with the plans to have this beast in my garage someday. Apart from the looks, features, stance & driving dynamics, it was some inspiring ownership experiences on T-BHP that made me take the plunge. Yes, there were initial hiccups with the car which were ironed out with time. But, C’mon!! Mahindra has come a long way to give us this beautiful mechanical Cheetah, there obviously is tremendous room for improvement though at least on the quality, fit & finish front.

Why older version (W6) when I could have gone in for a refreshed version (W4)?
Honestly, nothing bad about the new W4 or refreshed version. With time, I had decided that I should park my plans of going in for a pre-owned W8 and go in for the W4 which was pretty much what I could afford with funds saved over time for a new vehicle. It was the extra two months wait that got me in a position to bargain for the W6 at the price of a refreshed W4. I was okay living without the Navigation, Alloys, ESP, Six Airbags (would have obviously loved to have them, though). Also, I somehow preferred black interiors over new combo.

Also, I was clear that this would be my ride until 2020 at least, unless something changes drastically or the car really lets me down in the long run. Had good experience (rather, nothing disappointing) with the Xylo (2009-2015) and M&M’s DP 540 (1986-2003), which made me come back for another beast from the Mahindra’s stable.

Which other cars were considered?
None!! Towards the end.

Initially, it was Safari Storme and Scorpio. Below are the reasons for dropping them from final decision making.

Safari Storme – Extremely capable vehicle, however the features they offered made the entire package look like a vanilla flavoured family pack. Had the intent been to buy a vehicle only for adventure touring to explore the unexplored, then it would have been the Strome all the way. Also, lack of proper last row never went down too well with my preferences.

Scorpio - Great Car!! However, I somehow didn’t like the comfort and space in this lean mean beast. The refreshed Scorpio was a great package (in black, specially), however the XUV never let Scorpio get a place in my heart. Never even test drove one recently. Earlier, when I bought the Xylo then the Scorpio was chalked off (post a test drive) as the space & comfort (captain seats) that Xylo offered was simply unmatched by the Scorpio.

Dealer Experience : Infinity Autolinks – Vikhroli West.

Lack of options with NBS and Global Gallerie when it came to the older version of W6 and colours available had left with me no other option but Infinity Autolinks. Initial experience was slightly mixed with no clarity in the cost break up (which I still don’t have) and lethargy in updates, especially after paying the booking amount or even final disbursement. However, they did go out of their way on more than a couple of occasions to ensure any disappointment was erased. Few instances where they really made the difference included taking us to their ware house (30+ kms from Showroom) for PDI after paying the booking amount to let us decide the vehicle (from 3-4 options) and an overwhelming delivery process where entire staff (close to 15 individuals) stopped whatever they were doing to be a part of the rituals with included a small puja (all arrangements made by them, including garland & puja thali) & unveiling of the vehicle.

To make the experience more delighting, they threw in some surprises on the day of delivery which made it more pleasant.

Dealer Rating:- 4/5

Total Cost & Accessories
  • OTR – 13,60,000 /- which includes (save on Octroi – Panvel registered, MH-46)
Cost of Vehicle
RTO Charges
Zero Dep Insurance (from Future Generali)
Extended Warranty
Freebies from the Dealer
  1. Rear Cam (Non GPS one)
  2. Rain Visors
  3. Car Mats which fit pretty well (Plastics ones - exclusively for XUV 500)
  4. Ganesh Idol
  5. Car Perfume

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-after-side-step-2.jpg

Accessories Added (Local Retailer)
  1. Side Step – Make: Ajanta / Model: Hammer, Cost: 5500/- (Incl. labour)
  2. Door Cladding Semi-Chrome Strip: 1000/-
  3. Door Edge Protector: 300/-
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-after-side-step-1.jpg

Initial Impressions

Shortcomings
o Low Beam – Not great for our highways, so have to keep switching to high beam often.
o Air Conditioning – In middle row is weak as compared to the awesome cooling experience which Xylo offered across all corners.
o Fit & Finish – There seems to be a mild rattle in middle-left of the cabin, am yet to figure out the cause. Too many different textures in one single dash.
o Slot for USB & AUX – Flap design could have been better to close the space that houses charger & USB. Also, should have been more deeper to accommodate decently sized pen drive.
o Digital Drive Assist System (DDAS): Very plain jane as compared to the one that existed on the Xylo which unlike this one used to display relative humidity, a compass, average speeds and fuel economy which was not simply the average but also dynamic KMPL based on driving style
Apart from these, nothing negative experienced yet and am hoping the ownership experience continues to remain fairly pleasant.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-1st-drive-panvel-1.jpg

What I liked
o Power: It’s there whenever you need it and that too in excess for sure.
o Driving Dynamics: Much much better, as compared to the Xylo. Prior to Xylo, I used to own a Fiesta Classic and XUV comes nowhere close to it.
o Body roll: Again, compared to Xylo the XUV is much much better.
o Suspension: Little bit on the stiffer side but still not as bad as I thought it would be.
o Features: Despite of this being a W6, the feature list (though limited) still continues to be long enough to keep me smiling.
o Cruise Assist: Used it extensively during my weekend drive. Also, get to use it for good 25-30 kms every day to work (To & Fro commute – 70Kms)
o Head Unit: No touch screen or coloured screen for this version, still does the job pretty well. Especially the Bluetooth, it’s been connecting flawlessly every time I board the tank.
o Steering Controls: Was on the list of must have on next car and happy to have it, finally. It could have been better without the click type button though.
o Shoes: Bridgestone Duellers do a great job on the highway.
o Lights: Ambient lighting, reading lamps (too bright for my liking), lamp in the boot door. Seems like they ran out of space for more.
o Headlights: Except for the lower beam, they do a great job otherwise and add a lot to cosmetic appeal.
o Last Row Seating: I am going get a lot of criticism for this one, however I did feel that two average Indian males can comfortably stay put in those without complaining. Not as great as the Innova or Xylo which are people movers (not sure about T-Fort), but then still a zillion times better than the Ertiga, Safari, Mobilio, Evalia and others which are similar.
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-1st-drive-panvel-5.jpg

That’s it from me for now, if you need any additional info then please feel free to ping me.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-1st-drive-panvel-6.jpg
mantrig is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 11:39   #7449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hello T-Bhpians,

Finally, I took the delivery of Ecstasy - my beast (XUV 5oo – W6)
Congratulations Gaurav Happy munching miles with the cheetah.

You have got a good deal on the W6 and I am sure you will enjoy the drive every time you get on this beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
SDP, i was referring to SpiritualUV's comment of 31 official updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Quoting you to request for a link to the 31 changes. Kindly help.
There you go with the link for 31 changes being done on the new age XUV5OO.

Image Link

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th July 2015 at 11:47. Reason: Consecutive posts merged.
fusionbang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 12:08   #7450
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
There you go with the link for 31 changes being done on the new age XUV5OO.

Image Link
Thanks for sharing! I did notice the full page ads in newspapers recently.

This is a classic example of exaggeration in sales/marketing material.

They talk about "31 reasons" and not "31 changes", but its very easy to make people believe that there are 31 changes if one is not paying attention.

In the 31 features listed, 24 carry the "new" tag. So Mahindra agrees that 7 features listed were already part of the previous generation.
Even in the 24 features which are marked as "New", if you observe carefully , you can easily find 2-3 more (e.g. cheetah-inspired styling, static bending headlamps) which are also not really new and existed in the previous generation.

So in reality, there are 20-21 changes. What M&M seems to have missed are the more important ones ..eg. subtle changes to the suspension and bad-roads-slow-speed-ride.

Anyways, you know how sales/marketting works. So the tall-claims about changes need to be excused.
Old 14th July 2015, 12:28   #7451
BHPian

Guys,

Booked my Black XUV500 W8 AWD. Delivery expected before end of this week. I have some questions, appreciate your comments on the same

1. What is the maximum size of the USB pen drive which 2014 XUV 500 will read? based on this i am planning to order a 8GB or 16GB pen drive.
2. USB 3.0 pen drive will be read by XUV 500 (2014) model?
3. I have driven XUV on the highway before and found the low beam to be ineffective. Can we upgrade the low beam bulbs? What is recommended? Does it void warranty?

Appreciate your input.
Old 14th July 2015, 12:34   #7452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing! I did notice the full page ads in newspapers recently.

This is a classic example of exaggeration in sales/marketing material.

They talk about "31 reasons" and not "31 changes", but its very easy to make people believe that there are 31 changes if one is not paying attention.

In the 31 features listed, 24 carry the "new" tag. So Mahindra agrees that 7 features listed were already part of the previous generation.
Even in the 24 features which are marked as "New", if you observe carefully , you can easily find 2-3 more (e.g. cheetah-inspired styling, static bending headlamps) which are also not really new and existed in the previous generation.

So in reality, there are 20-21 changes. What M&M seems to have missed are the more important ones ..eg. subtle changes to the suspension and bad-roads-slow-speed-ride.

Anyways, you know how sales/marketting works. So the tall-claims about changes need to be excused.
I second you SDP, it's all marketing gimmick to sell the car. Even I was wondering when they have said static bending headlamps and cheetah inspired styling is new. This ad is never meant for a automobile enthusiast who follows this car closely. It suits well for all new buyers without any research.
fusionbang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 12:48   #7453
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rave20 View Post
Guys,

Booked my Black XUV500 W8 AWD. Delivery expected before end of this week. I have some questions, appreciate your comments on the same
Congratulations!

Quote:
1. What is the maximum size of the USB pen drive which 2014 XUV 500 will read? based on this i am planning to order a 8GB or 16GB pen drive.
I did try a 16GB drive and the infotainment system did read it. I couldn't verify whether it read it completely or partially. The older version has issues with both: sometimes it doesn't read high-capacity drives at all and sometimes it reads only a few folders from the drive.

Quote:
2. USB 3.0 pen drive will be read by XUV 500 (2014) model?
No idea.

Quote:
3. I have driven XUV on the highway before and found the low beam to be ineffective. Can we upgrade the low beam bulbs? What is recommended? Does it void warranty?
Try the lo-beam+front-fogs combination before upgrading. A few of us have already upgraded to proper xenons in lo-beam. 4300K, 35W, H7 xenon kit from Morimotos. With this, the illumination is significantly better, but still not perfect. May be 50/55W xenons would give adequate light for unlit highways.

Mahindras are generally reasonable about warranty claims. As long as you don't plug in 100W bulbs in existing sockets, you should be OK.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 13:00   #7454
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations!

I did try a 16GB drive and the infotainment system did read it. I couldn't verify whether it read it completely or partially. The older version has issues with both: sometimes it doesn't read high-capacity drives at all and sometimes it reads only a few folders from the drive.

No idea.

Try the lo-beam+front-fogs combination before upgrading. A few of us have already upgraded to proper xenons in lo-beam. 4300K, 35W, H7 xenon kit from Morimotos. With this, the illumination is significantly better, but still not perfect. May be 50/55W xenons would give adequate light for unlit highways.

Mahindras are generally reasonable about warranty claims. As long as you don't plug in 100W bulbs in existing sockets, you should be OK.
I think to be on the safer side its better to get only 8GB pen drive. 16GB may be too much. Is this information mentioned anywhere in the owners manual?

Since i will be buying a used vehicle, how do i make the change the name in Mahindra systems? Has anyone any experience? I want to update the address, email and phone number to reflect my details.
Old 14th July 2015, 13:43   #7455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rave20 View Post
Since i will be buying a used vehicle, how do i make the change the name in Mahindra systems? Has anyone any experience? I want to update the address, email and phone number to reflect my details.
When you go to the authorized service center for service show them the RC with your name and give them your address phone number and email and they would be able to do the needful in the system .
tamojoym is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks