Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2015, 00:48   #7336
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhangad View Post
Can you please find out and let us know? I just bought my W8, just 7 months ago and feel disheartened to see such a nice new dash with a much improved infotainment system - functionality-wise and not just looks/size. They've fixed the HUD hood by making it fixed (which rattles in the old model otherwise), infotainment hood is so cruze-like (and thus much cooler), none of the tacky wood finish in the center! Not so impressed with the new bumper/fog lamp style, headlights with S-shaped leds are nice.
Your response is bit over reacting in my opinion. Other than an infotainment system which is 1 inch bigger, and color change in the interiors I dont see any other drastic change that has happened on the inside. Plastics still remain the same in terms of quality and texture. Biege will be tougher to maintain. Maybe you can see it in person to realize this. As SDP pointed, upgrades will always happen. I got a SGS5 phone last yr and now samsung has SGS6 launched. Cars are the same way pretty much in developed world. In India refresh is once every 3 yrs though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravkhurana View Post
Hi, need help from forum members. I have a booking for old W8 couple of weeks back , can anyone please help me finalise if I should go for new gen. Cost difference is coming out to be 90 k.
Thanks in advance.
I think the answer already exists on the forum in terms of info and data. You just need to think it objectively. If money is not a constraint you should certainly get the new gen XUV otherwise the earlier model is just fine.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 08:06   #7337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Guys, finally took the delivery of my Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 yesterday evening

Yet to enjoy driving on this beast and waiting for the weekend. Will post pictures very soon ( I am not allowed to add attachments in office network).

I would like to thank you each and everyone in this forum who has helped in making this decision. Thank you guys
Congratulations on the acquisition fusionbang. Wish you many happy and safe miles with your Silver Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Looks like Mahindra has resorted to cost-cutting including removal of camp light on the rear hatch-door earlier.
Had a closer look at the new age XUV5OO yesterday. The camping light is in place but the last row seats have lost their reading lamps. Also the lamp at the vanity mirror on the front passenger side are missing. I have found both of these being very useful on mine. Dont see a reason why they would have omitted them or if it was about cost cutting, not sure how much they would have saved omitting these.
ViPo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 08:27   #7338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhangad View Post
Can you please find out and let us know? I just bought my W8, just 7 months ago and feel disheartened to see such a nice new dash with a much improved infotainment system - functionality-wise and not just looks/size. They've fixed the HUD hood by making it fixed (which rattles in the old model otherwise), infotainment hood is so cruze-like (and thus much cooler), none of the tacky wood finish in the center! Not so impressed with the new bumper/fog lamp style, headlights with S-shaped leds are nice.

Ofcourse the biggest heartbreaks are (in no particular order): electronic seat adjustment, sunroof, start/stop + keyless entry, break energy regeneration system (come on!!!), improved mileage (claimed improvement of +0.9 kmpl) and other smaller changes - hydraulic bonnet, auto-UP (which is just auto-down in the old model) driver side window, dynamic assist in reverse parking mode..
The features you have mentioned are of W10 and not of W8. But there are many updates across all models which is worth it.

Still if you interested in the facelift you can do one thing, you can enquire about the exchange value of your XUV with both W8 and W10. If you feel its worth the exchange go for it. But at least enquire and let the forum know, there might be more members here who might be interested.

Its better than seeing a new XUV crossing you every time and you getting disheartened.

Last edited by rahul_kej : 29th May 2015 at 08:34.
Old 29th May 2015, 12:20   #7339
BHPian

Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Can someone advise me on the 50K service of XUV5OO
Expected budget, parts to be replaced etc.

Its almost 48K now, have to get it for service in about a month or less.

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th May 2015, 14:21   #7340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPo View Post
Congratulations on the acquisition fusionbang. Wish you many happy and safe miles with your Silver Cougar
Thank you so much ViPo:-) Would like to thank you for your help regarding my queries earlier. Finally I ended up buying a W8

Also since you have a W6, the current facelift model of W6 does not come with 2nd row lighting as well. It has light in only 1st row, no camping light, no fog lamps. And the infotainment system still remains the same 6 inch B/W screen. And the blue lighting is very sober and does not make the car aggressive from inside and you might end up hating it (personal opinion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravkhurana View Post
Hi, need help from forum members. I have a booking for old W8 couple of weeks back , can anyone please help me finalise if I should go for new gen. Cost difference is coming out to be 90 k.
Thanks in advance.
Gaurav, I would suggest you to go ahead with the old W8 as it is almost niggle free and stable now. Till now I haven't faced any issue as such(touchwood) in the car which I got on May 20th. It is a April manufactured car, I hope you will also get the same month manufactured car.

And moreover the current W8 has some features dropped for cost cutting like no reading lamps in 3rd row, no more aggressive stance of the cheetah ( see my post here it has a comparo image and you can make out how feminine the facelift looks), new beige interiors is prone to get dirty very soon(if you see the image of the door I have posted in just 2 days it has become dirty).

Above this your call, as end of the day you should listen to your heart and you should have that smile on your face every time you take this beast on the road.

Last edited by fusionbang : 29th May 2015 at 14:28.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 14:57   #7341
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much ViPo:-) Would like to thank you for your help regarding my queries earlier. Finally I ended up buying a W8

Also since you have a W6, the current facelift model of W6 does not come with 2nd row lighting as well. It has light in only 1st row, no camping light, no fog lamps. And the infotainment system still remains the same 6 inch B/W screen. And the blue lighting is very sober and does not make the car aggressive from inside and you might end up hating it (personal opinion)
Saw your previous post about the last minute change to book the W8 fusionbang. Good decision and this for sure cleared up most of the queries and confusion you were going through. .

I checked the new brochure and in addition to what you have mentioned, the puddle lamps, door ajar lamps, driver side express down have also been removed on the new W6. Only one mobile charging point is provided in the front row. So thats a lot being removed.

Personally even I agree with you on the blue lighting. Its too sober compared to the red and cuts down the aggression on the beast.

Last edited by ViPo : 29th May 2015 at 15:07. Reason: .
ViPo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 16:52   #7342
BHPian

It is interesting that the hardware can be upgraded but the software can't.

The map is already at least one version old from MapmyIndia, and the UI can benefit with some improvements - like being able to see the map while you are talking on the phone through bluetooth connection.

Quote:
No the new infotainment software cannot be upgraded in the earlier version, since the new version has a 7" touchscreen whereas the earlier ones came with a 6" screen.

But I was told that the new fascia can be adopted onto the earlier version which includes new bonnet, new front bumper, new headlights and fog lights.
Old 29th May 2015, 17:38   #7343
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arao View Post
It is interesting that the hardware can be upgraded but the software can't.

The map is already at least one version old from MapmyIndia, and the UI can benefit with some improvements - like being able to see the map while you are talking on the phone through bluetooth connection.
There is a reason for that. The earlier Infotainment system was a Nippon unit. What I have heard is that M&M have gotten rid of Nippon completely and chosen a different vendor for the infotainment system. So its not a question of upgrading software, its a question of upgrading software on a different vendor's hardware.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 18:54   #7344
BHPian

Valid point. Though one would presume that ideally a contract with the vendor should provide for maintenance/upgrade support for X number of years. Not all features can be upgraded of course, but zero-upgrade is not a palatable option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
There is a reason for that. The earlier Infotainment system was a Nippon unit. What I have heard is that M&M have gotten rid of Nippon completely and chosen a different vendor for the infotainment system. So its not a question of upgrading software, its a question of upgrading software on a different vendor's hardware.
Old 29th May 2015, 21:48   #7345
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arao View Post
Valid point. Though one would presume that ideally a contract with the vendor should provide for maintenance/upgrade support for X number of years. Not all features can be upgraded of course, but zero-upgrade is not a palatable option.
Zero upgrade?
In the last 3 years, the Nippon system's software has been updated multiple times. The bluetooth interface was completely redesigned. Bootup time was improved. Splash screen was changed. Help functionality and embedded videos were added. Ability to turn off the system and still use the screen for ACC functionality was added.

Similarly the MapMyIndia software in the XUV has been upgraded at least once and it was a major upgrade. Maps of lots of new towns, additional villages, new roads, flyovers got added. Lane feature got added. etc etc
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 22:15   #7346
BHPian

Some very interesting news. A friend of mine called one of the Bombay dealers today to see what discounts they are offering on the Old W8 and if they had some in stock. The answer was yes and approx discount offered was Rs80,000. Going with him tomorrow to help him decide, though the discount offered seems very tempting to go for the Old W8.
Old 30th May 2015, 10:13   #7347
BHPian

Hello All, I am looking to upgrade from a 9 year old Honda City ZXi to the new age XUV 500 W6. I've done 160000 kms on my Honda and love the car for its reliability and durability. Except for a clutch replacement at 120000 kms, clutch master and slave cylinder replacement at 158000 kms, all other part replacements have been the regular brake pads, filters, plugs, etc. Fuel Economy is superb. Overall, for a 9 year old car, the car is holding up very well.

Can I expect the following from the new age XUV 500 W6?

- good ride quality (improved suspension they say)
- a good or at least a decent gear box (Some people say shifting is crude, truck like. I want to know the truth )
- low cabin noise
- No early / premature mechanical failures and part replacements.
- No early / premature electronic component failures (The reason I am thinking a W6 is better is because I will have lesser electronics to deal with)
- Above average service experience at ASS (With Honda, I am used to good service most of the time)

Please let me know if a XUV 500 is good for me.
Old 30th May 2015, 19:11   #7348
BHPian

Thanks for the update, being a new user I was unaware of the upgrades in the past. My issue was regarding any possibilities of upgrades in the future after the old vendor has been dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Zero upgrade?
In the last 3 years, the Nippon system's software has been updated multiple times. The bluetooth interface was completely redesigned. Bootup time was improved. Splash screen was changed. Help functionality and embedded videos were added. Ability to turn off the system and still use the screen for ACC functionality was added.

Last edited by ampere : 30th May 2015 at 19:23.
Old 30th May 2015, 22:24   #7349

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuresh View Post
Hello All, I am looking to upgrade from a 9 year old Honda City ZXi to the new age XUV 500 W6. I've done 160000 kms on my Honda and love the car for its reliability and durability. Except for a clutch replacement at 120000 kms, clutch master and slave cylinder replacement at 158000 kms, all other part replacements have been the regular brake pads, filters, plugs, etc. Fuel Economy is superb. Overall, for a 9 year old car, the car is holding up very well.

Can I expect the following from the new age XUV 500 W6?

- good ride quality (improved suspension they say)
- a good or at least a decent gear box (Some people say shifting is crude, truck like. I want to know the truth )
- low cabin noise
- No early / premature mechanical failures and part replacements.
- No early / premature electronic component failures (The reason I am thinking a W6 is better is because I will have lesser electronics to deal with)
- Above average service experience at ASS (With Honda, I am used to good service most of the time)

Please let me know if a XUV 500 is good for me.

I am in exact situation, upgrading from my 9 yr old Honda City ZX. If you see the forum many members have upgraded from city/civic/corolla. I took the old gen XUV form Zoom car for 3 day 700 km (test) drive in April. I was impressed. I booked the old gen in May and didn't take delivery just to check the new gen. Now i took the test drive of new gen and i can say
- ride quality is good, i felt its more composed than prev gen.
- lots of space and better seating comfort, ac in all 2 rows
- long list of features including safety kit
- high ground clearance
Above points will really make you feel that you have upgraded

-gear shift is improved over the old gen, but not as slick as city.
-cabin noise is on par with city
- Rest mechanical failures and electronic failures - we can expect some.
But i don't see that much of a problem. Other members who own xuvs can comment on these points better.

Hope that helps. Suggest you take a good long test drive of the new gen before making any decision.

Finally, i have changed my booking to the new gen w8. Delivery will start after 5th june i am told. I need to start the process to transfer 45% NCB, called honda assure (my existing insurer) and they tell it will take 10-15 days to get that. In all i should be able to get my hands on my beast by mid june.

Thanks @SDP, @Tanveer_2558,@supertinu and @fusionbang for your suggestions.
gauravkhurana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 23:07   #7350
BHPian

Thank you Gaurav. That was reassuring.

I am in Pune for a couple of days and I did check out the new gen XUV 500 W10 at a dealership here. Did not have much time for a test drive, but I must tell you seeing the vehicle for 10 minutes was enough to almost finalize my decision of going for the XUV. Of course, like you said, I will definitely get a good test drive in Hyderabad before I book one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks