Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2023, 15:04   #7996
BHPian

Re: XUV 500 AT Diesel jerking and loss of power issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishie View Post
I also had the same problem with my 2016 W8 Automatic for nearly 4 months, and changing the vacuum modulators solved the issue and now the car drives as if it was new.

The service personnel at VVC has no clue, on what thhttps://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/loveit.pnge actual problem is, but one of the earlier threads on team-bhp had led me to change the vacuum modulators.

There are 2 modulators to be replaced, and make sure they are replacing with the brand new one's (Ask them to open and show both the new modulators before replacing). I had accidentally noticed that one of the modulators from the spares department was used one, inside new packaging without a seal
I got vacuum modulators changed as suggest and it fixed the issue. I cannot thank you enough as i was having thoughts to sell the car after last few months of struggle. When i suggested to replace it, he was not sure if that would fix the issue as first they were unable find the issue. Then i requested them to call company and take tech advise.
Rodeo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 15:32   #7997
BHPian

Re: XUV 500 AT Diesel jerking and loss of power issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
I got vacuum modulators changed as suggest and it fixed the issue. I cannot thank you enough as i was having thoughts to sell the car after last few months of struggle. When i suggested to replace it, he was not sure if that would fix the issue as first they were unable find the issue. Then i requested them to call company and take tech advise.
Glad to know that this resolved this issue, can I know the total cost incurred for the spares and the cost of replacement?
Old 10th December 2023, 21:58   #7998

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Dear Friends

I need some advice, please help

I bought my XUV5OO W8 in July 2014. I bought it from Sahyadri Motors, Pune. I have had a fantastic run so far and have clocked 154000+ km. I have been regularly getting my XUV serviced.

Last week on my return Bangalore to Pune, i started getting a whistling sound from my engine. I noticed it when i had slowed down at a toll booth. As i moved from 1st to 2nd to 3rd gear, i thought there was an ambulance 9-10 cars behind me. I slowed down but obviously there was no ambulance.

This noise comes when the RPM is above 1700-1800 rpm and is probably caused when the turbo kicks in. On reaching Pune, I went to my trusted mechanic. We checked the following:
1. Leakage in radiator hose pipes - No problem
2. Cleaned the "EGR valves" of carbon - no problem
3. Leakages in radiator - no problem

The whistling sound has been around from day 1. It was very light for the last eight years and i "enjoyed" the feel of a race car. None of the passengers would notice it unless i pointed this to them.

Now my mechanic is suggesting i go to the service center for turbo charge replacement. I called my regular service advisor and he has suggested it would cost around 50K. I have not yet taken the car to the service center.

When i asked my service advisor about faulty vacuum modulators / regulators he said based on his past experience it could be turbo.

I don't have:
1. A check engine warning
2. Black / blue / grey smoke
3. Loss in pick up

I just have a easily noticeable whistling sound.

I have so far spent money only on tires, brake lining and disks, white LED headlights, replaced the silver box with an android player, clutch plates, and front and back suspension. No problem on engine side...

I have no intention to sell the XUV, it has been a dear family member. Will use it till it can be used.

What should i check to really replace the turbo and incur a cost of of about 50k.

Many thanks in anticipation
Rajiv
Old 11th December 2023, 14:11   #7999
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajivNarvekar View Post

whistling sound from my engine.
Are you sure the sound is from engine bay?
Does the car whistle when in parked position with all blowers off, including radiator and condenser fans.
Have you ascertained that the sound is not from belt tensioner or alternator or AC compressor. Sound from inside the engine can also be figured out.
I would recommend that go to a FNG and ask him to ascertain the source of the sound. XUV 500 is now an old dame and there are a lot of good mechanics adept at handling its peculiarities. Take your call based on inputs from 2-3 mechanics.
Old 11th December 2023, 14:35   #8000
BHPian

There is a good 50% chance that its coming from the belt, and I too faced it around 90K kms on my XUV5OO 2016 AT, and it went off after I replaced the belt along with the tensioner around 95K kms service (got 1Lakh kms service done early), and I am having similar noise again at 1.4Lakh kms, now a days, I keep hearing the whistling noise from around 20+ kmph to 100kmph (above which I roll up all my window glasses, and I barely hear anything). Almost all the checks you got done are also clear for me as well. I am planning to get the tensioner and belt replaced soon to check if the sound goes away, I am waiting for my next service due.

Also have your wheel bearing checked as one of my mechanics suggested that one of the front wheel bearing might have gone bad and need replacement, but I did not go with his suggestion as the tyre seemed pretty good, with no uneven wear at all.

Please have these two checked up as well.

Quote:
Dear Friends

I bought my XUV5OO W8 in July 2014. I bought it from Sahyadri Motors, Pune. I have had a fantastic run so far and have clocked 154000+ km. I have been regularly getting my XUV serviced.

Last week on my return Bangalore to Pune, i started getting a whistling sound from my engine. I noticed it when i had slowed down at a toll booth. As i moved from 1st to 2nd to 3rd gear, i thought there was an ambulance 9-10 cars behind me. I slowed down but obviously there was no ambulance.

This noise comes when the RPM is above 1700-1800 rpm and is probably caused when the turbo kicks in. On reaching Pune, I went to my trusted mechanic. We checked the following:
1. Leakage in radiator hose pipes - No problem
2. Cleaned the "EGR valves" of carbon - no problem
3. Leakages in radiator - no problem

The whistling sound has been around from day 1. It was very light for the last eight years and i "enjoyed" the feel of a race car. None of the passengers would notice it unless i pointed this to them.

Now my mechanic is suggesting i go to the service center for turbo charge replacement. I called my regular service advisor and he has suggested it would cost around 50K. I have not yet taken the car to the service center.

When i asked my service advisor about faulty vacuum modulators / regulators he said based on his past experience it could be turbo.

I don't have:
1. A check engine warning
2. Black / blue / grey smoke
3. Loss in pick up

I just have a easily noticeable whistling sound.

I have so far spent money only on tires, brake lining and disks, white LED headlights, replaced the silver box with an android player, clutch plates, and front and back suspension. No problem on engine side...

I have no intention to sell the XUV, it has been a dear family member. Will use it till it can be used.

What should i check to really replace the turbo and incur a cost of of about 50k.

Many thanks in anticipation
Rajiv

Last edited by rishie : 11th December 2023 at 14:40.
Old 11th December 2023, 14:56   #8001

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
Are you sure the sound is from engine bay?
Does the car whistle when in parked position with all blowers off, including radiator and condenser fans.
Have you ascertained that the sound is not from belt tensioner or alternator or AC compressor. Sound from inside the engine can also be figured out.
Thank you PGA. The car does whistle when stationary (as I raise the RPM). I will check the belt tensioner, alternator and AC compressor today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishie View Post
There is a good 50% chance that its coming from the belt.

Also have your wheel bearing checked as one of my mechanics suggested that one of the front wheel bearing might have gone bad and need replacement, but I did not go with his suggestion as the tyre seemed pretty good, with no uneven wear at al

Please have these two checked up as well.
Thanks you Rishie. I will check the belt and the tensioner

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th December 2023 at 15:21. Reason: Please avoid submitting posts one after the other. Use the EDIT and QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of submitting the first post, instead of posting back-to-back.
Old 20th December 2023, 10:28   #8002
Senior - BHPian

hey Folks, one question regarding engine sound at cold start. On my 1st gen XUV500 which has done about 65K km, I have noticed that on startup for first 4-5 seconds it is very clattery and then it settles down immediately. IS this something others observe too? I feel it was always present but seems to have become more obvious now. Car was recently serviced and runs fine otherwise.
Old 20th December 2023, 14:38   #8003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
I feel it was always present but seems to have become more obvious now.
Yes its a normal behavior. Maybe noticeable more due to cold weather. Also, engine noise in general will be slightly more as you near the oil change interval. That may be adding to the issue.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 21:37   #8004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Yes its a normal behavior. Maybe noticeable more due to cold weather. Also, engine noise in general will be slightly more as you near the oil change interval. That may be adding to the issue.
Oil change was done about 2K km back. Sounds more due to colder weather in Bangalore these days.
Old 23rd December 2023, 09:41   #8005
BHPian

[quote=RajivNarvekar;5677630]Dear Friends

I too have experienced this Whiny sound (both in my older W8 and the current w11) especially when we lift the foot off the accelerator, slowing down in gear, It nearly vanishes on idling and beyond 2000 RPM. This is progressively more as the engine oil gets beyond 10000 kms. I too did try to figure out what could be the cause finally contemplating it is from the turbo, which has not affected the performance. I thought I had been experiencing it because I use synthetic 5W30 CJ4 engine oil which is a tad thinner in viscosity compared to Maxmile Feo 15W40, maybe the turbo bearings are affected. This time I have procured a 10W40 synthetic CJ4, yet to use in the car.
Old 31st December 2023, 12:08   #8006

[quote=manipal;5685023]
Quote:
Dear Friends

Once I realized that the service centre is trying to replace the Turbo without a valid reason, I did the following:
1. I looked up which Turbo was fitted in my XUV5OO. It was from Turbo Energy Limited https://www.turboenergy.co.in/. I looked up the exact part number and called their dealer in Pune. I spoke to Clean-O-Diesel Services India (P) Ltd. Their head Mr Vijay was very helpful. He asked me a lot of questions and then suggested that I take my XUV to a Mechanic. Based on my location he suggested a mechanic, Raju Pansare.

2. Raju's garage repairs only M&M Scorpios and XUVs. Raju was very polite and we had a call with Vijay from TEL. After 15 minutes of diagnostics, we all concluded that the exhaust metallic packing from the Turbo was the culprit. The packing cost was about Rs 3500. I left the vehicle with Raju.

3. The next day Raju took the Turbo to Vijay's service centre and made some minor adjustments for a fee of Rs 2500. He later fitted the Turbo and the whistling sound disappeared. By spending Rs 6000 my problem was resolved as opposed to Rs 55000 suggested by the service centre.

4. I took the vehicle for a long drive of about 50km and the XUV was back to normal. I asked Raju if it needed any more tweaking. He then told me that the fan belt would need to be replaced, the shock absorbers that I had got fitted were "not OEM" and that my engine oil needs to be replace.

5. He said, he did not want to inflate my bill, but because I did a lot of long-distance driving, he suggested that I replace the fan belt. He also showed me the "kich kich kich" sound that was coming from fan belt. I said no problem as I always believe in the adage, "Trust everybody till they prove themselves to be untrustworthy".

6. Just to validate the repairs, I reached out to my engineering classmate who works in the M&M Chakan plant. He arranged a call with an engineer who specialized in engine testing. The engineer on a WhatsApp video call confirmed that all is well with my turbo and the engine and the fan belt would need a replacement.

7. All this took 4 days. The belt replacement cost me Rs 13500. I also go the vehicle service with engine oil replacement. At the end of the 4th day, I paid him Rs 25000 and now my vehicle is as good as a new. I will strongly recommend Raju Pansare for M&M vehicles especially older out of warranty vehicles.

8. The plan now is to drive till my XUV completes 170k km and assess the overall fitness.

My closing thoughts: It is important to get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion of any repairs that cost more than Rs 20k. It is not the amount but the feeling that you are getting cheated that infuriates me.

My XUV5OO will complete 10 years in July 2024. When I told my M&M engineering classmate that I am considering buying another SUV he told me that a refreshed XUV 700 will be available by Jul 2024. I am thinking which SUV to buy next ad my son is eyeing the current XUV500. But that is for another post.

Thank you friends for your support
RajivNarvekar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 15:29   #8007
BHPian

Hi all,
I am currently based in Jodhpur, Rajasthan. I have a ~180k run, 2012 XUV 5OO which is in need of service as well as a few repairs. I welcome your recommendations about any FNGs / Service centre where I can take my vehicle here at Jodhpur. Alternatively, I will be driving to Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh and can also get the needful done there so any suggestions at either location are welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Old 18th February 2024, 18:06   #8008
BHPian

I face a new issue now, while coming back late night after parking my car , i could hear some hissing sound and smell. Next morning i saw a pool of oil. On calling local mechanic , he saw oil in coolant chamber. He says some Cooling part has failed so oil and coolant is getting mixed. Due to high temperature of oil, pipe got burst so the oil spillage.

Anyone what could have been failed? i see no underneath the car damages.
Old 25th February 2024, 22:46   #8009
BHPian

[quote=RajivNarvekar;5689641]
Quote:
Originally Posted by manipal View Post

2. Raju's garage repairs only M&M Scorpios and XUVs. Raju was very polite and we had a call with Vijay from TEL. After 15 minutes of diagnostics, we all concluded that the exhaust metallic packing from the Turbo was the culprit. The packing cost was about Rs 3500. I left the vehicle with Raju.

Thanks, Rajiv, for sharing your valuable information. Could you please put-up Raju's address or his garage name? this will be helpful to all Mahindra owners, should there be a need.
Old 26th February 2024, 10:02   #8010
BHPian

[quote=RajivNarvekar;5689641]
Quote:
Originally Posted by manipal View Post

Hey Rajiv, this is extremely helpful. Thanks for sharing. Could you please provide the address and contact for Raju Pansare. I will be in March 1st week, will get some repairs done from him while being there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks