Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2020, 12:25   #7891
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Topup distilled water into the battery if you have any available (eg for the inverter in your house, or buy it from a petrol pump, most pumps stock it).

If that doesn't help, see if anyone from your building has jumper cables to recharge your battery.

After the lockdown, if your battery is 3-4 years old, just change it. Preferably Amaron this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhB View Post
My XUV 500 W11 (O) has gone completely dead in this lockdown period.

In the first week there was no problem. I used to start the XUV every 3 days and drove it for approx. 500 mtrs within my campus.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 12:35   #7892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Topup distilled water into the battery if you have any available (eg for the inverter in your house, or buy it from a petrol pump, most pumps stock it).
If that doesn't help, see if anyone from your building has jumper cables to recharge your battery.
After the lockdown, if your battery is 3-4 years old, just change it. Preferably Amaron this time.
Thanks for your prompt suggestions. Will do as suggested.

I have kept jumper cables myself considering the no of times my XUV battery has drained off. Will try to find out if someone can lend their vehicle for support to recharge my XUV battery. Last time my battery had drained off, even the Exide service guy could not start with his battery. Ultimately a Fortuner (1st gen) owner in my campus lent his car from whose battery i could start my car.

My car is July 2018 manufactured. Hence battery is approx. 2 years old. Car has run approx. 20k kms ... hence battery should have at least another 2 years life left. But if things continue like this i would have no option but to replace the battery.
Old 14th April 2020, 12:45   #7893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhB View Post
My car is July 2018 manufactured. Hence battery is approx. 2 years old. Car has run approx. 20k kms ... hence battery should have at least another 2 years life left. But if things continue like this i would have no option but to replace the battery.
The oem battery is just like that, precisely calculated to fail within a hair outside the guarantee period. Just replace the battery - if you have a battery guy's phone number, see if you can call him and get the battery replaced. Unless there is a severe lockdown in your area he should be able to turn up.

Every 6 months, without fail, top up distilled water into your battery and the life is extended by quite a few months.

Last edited by SDP : 14th April 2020 at 14:10. Reason: Typo
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:13   #7894
BHPian

I'm on look out for a 7 seater automatic under 20 Lakhs OTR in Bangalore and XUV500 fits the bill.

However, the local dealerships said that they aren't getting any stocks for the auto variant as of now and they don't know by when would they start getting the same.

Any pointers, if there is any delay in the launch of auto variants.
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:41   #7895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post

Any pointers, if there is any delay in the launch of auto variants.
XUV 500 Automatic was not launched in BS6 version. You will probably have to wait for the next generation XUV500 for the automatic.
Old 3rd June 2020, 15:47   #7896
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm on look out for a 7 seater automatic under 20 Lakhs OTR in Bangalore and XUV500 fits the bill.
Sent you a PM , please check buddy.
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:20   #7897
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the local dealerships said that they aren't getting any stocks for the auto variant as of now and they don't know by when would they start getting the same.
End of July 2020, as per a source at Chakan.

Supply chain issues right now due to the ongoing pandemic.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4804337 (No AWD on the Mahindra XUV500 BS6 (AT option continues))
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 22:27   #7898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Drove in almost 60-65% cruise mode during my last 1500+ km trip - the first time I could make the best use of this feature. And was pretty happy with it. The roads I took were pretty good with possibility of cruising easily at high speeds. Now though the roads were good, there ofcourse was all those trucks and other slow moving vehicles. So I used a technique to reduce the strain on my legs, which I wont say is the exact way to use the cruise control, but something I consider the Indian way.

The technique I used was set the cruise at a slightly higher speed range. Everytime I had to slow down the car without the need to downshift from 6th gear, I would just press the RES button to re-engage the cruise and the car would accelerate from the current speed to the set speed. So basically most of the times I could drive with just using the brakes to slow down and the RES to accelerate. And where possible I was able to cruise at the set speed for stretches.

FundaG
In order to get maximum usage out of cruise control, the car has to be an automatic. When you come down to 30 as some nincompoop comes in your way every few minutes, working the gears to 6th and then resuming cruise control becomes a drag. With a manual model cruise control is only useful on 4 lane highways with sparse traffic or great six lane expressways like ahmedabad-baroda, delhi-lucknow or mumbai-pune. You actually start feeling sleepy with not even throttle control being in your hands or at your feet. Great music and some conversation with fellow passengers is a must.
AseemYadav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 23:30   #7899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AseemYadav View Post
In order to get maximum usage out of cruise control, the car has to be an automatic. When you come down to 30 as some nincompoop comes in your way every few minutes, working the gears to 6th and then resuming cruise control becomes a drag. With a manual model cruise control is only useful on 4 lane highways with sparse traffic or great six lane expressways like ahmedabad-baroda, delhi-lucknow or mumbai-pune. You actually start feeling sleepy with not even throttle control being in your hands or at your feet. Great music and some conversation with fellow passengers is a must.
An automatic is certainly best, however in my Honda WRV the cruise control is quite innovative. Maybe it's the same in other manual cruise control cars too.

You basically set it once you reach the desired speed. Irrespective of the gear you are in.

Now if you need to upshift or downshift you can press the clutch and change into the appropriate gear and release the clutch within 3 or 5 seconds and the cruise control continues. So you don't need to press set or resume again and again.

Its intelligent enough to drop the rpm when you shift gears and then carries on to reach the set speed.
Old 14th June 2020, 06:32   #7900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
An automatic is certainly best, however in my Honda WRV the cruise control is quite innovative. Maybe it's the same in other manual cruise control cars too.
If I remember correctly, cruise control disengages on pressing the clutch in XUV. Will check this out in next long drive. Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 14th June 2020 at 07:27. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 14th June 2020, 18:28   #7901
PKG

Labor charges in Dealers and Service centers

Friends, want to check if any of you had observed the labor charges on your car service and repairs. I recall few years back seeing a board in may of the large dealer service centers where they had the Labor charges and rates/hour. In Maruti dealers, recall seeing this. Now this is not displayed, they have fixed labor charges for each type of job. What irked me was yesterday I gave my XUV500 for 120K service. This was in Anant Cars - Bangalore on BG road. Was informed it would cost 12L + taxes. Dropped the car at 12 noon. Car was ready by 5:00 PM same day. (Pre Covid times this was impossible in any Mahindra Bangalore dealers and service centers). Checked the bill, the labor charges for the 120K service was Rs. 4130 + Taxes. My contentious points
- They charge extra for cleaning and washing this is min 1/2 hours
- I had Brake fluid leakage so a cable change was done and there was labor charge on this separate.
- All in all for the service they would not have taken more than 3 hours out of total 5 hours it was in the center. there is a 1 hour lunch break so balance 4 hours, less the washing time of 20-30 mins (e2e wash time )

for 3 hours of work is 4K justified..?

I'm sure at max not more than 2 Mechanics would have worked on my car even if this is for the full duration. they had the car at their disposal for max 3.5 hours .
even If its 4 hours, 2 mechanics, this makes it 8 hours of work so about Rs. 500.00 per hour, is this the rate ???

I checked another Bhpian's post on services charges - Singh09 sometime last year somewhere up North - Haryana/Punjab, it was about Rs.300 less than mine, still a big bill.

Should we be paying such hefty charges?, can there be any moderation of these costs? do the Car Manufacturers not have any say/play in any of this?

like to hear everyone's views.

Unfortunately all these years never checked this since they took the car early Morinings and usually kept it overnight or returned same day late evenings - there would be 6-8 hours with them.. Now I realize the cars are parked idle for most of the time, actual work is only 3-4 hours. we still get hefty bills.

eyes opened late.
PKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 17:10   #7902
BHPian

A friend of mine is planning to install a good quality roof luggage box in his xuv. Its a w4 variant I guess and roof rails are not present. Is there any threaded hole somewhere to fix the carrier? What are the options available?

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 29th June 2020 at 17:14.
Old 29th June 2020, 17:23   #7903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
A friend of mine is planning to install a good quality roof luggage box in his xuv. Its a w4 variant I guess and roof rails are not present. Is there any threaded hole somewhere to fix the carrier? What are the options available?
Mahindra has official accessories with fitment brackets available at their dealers or online at m2all.com

However one problem your cousin will face is that cops will see a roof rack and automatically assume that it is a cab with a white board number plate.

Your cousin will keep getting stopped and having his papers checked.
Old 5th July 2020, 11:52   #7904
BHPian

Hello everyone, I need your help on an issue. I have a 2018 W7 AT XUV 5OO which has run 34000 kms till date. In February 2020, I saw a small puddle of oil beneath the car. Took it to the authorized service center and the issue was found to be a leak in the 'O ring near the turbo'. I am not so well inclined technically, so forgive my errors in the concerned terms. The issue was resolved, and it was running trouble free.

About a month back, there was another leak, this time 3-5 drops, which was noticed in a similar area (towards the left side, a bit away from the center). Took it to the service center, a different one this time, and it was found to be a small nut which had come loose at the bottom side. It was fixed.

A few days back, a few drops of oil was seen again. Took the car to the first service center again this time. They did a detailed inspection and informed us that the engine cover is leaky and this needs to be repaired. They also informed us that the rear brake caliper is leaking fluid. This was on Wednesday. They have ordered the parts and we are to give the car for repairs tomorrow. The entire work will be performed under warranty, so no issues there. But what worries me is the recurrent leaks that are occurring, and that too on a comparatively new and well maintained vehicle. Is this a known issue with the XUV or am I missing something? Kindly suggest your valuable inputs.

Last edited by GKR9900 : 5th July 2020 at 11:55.
Old 12th October 2020, 14:47   #7905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
There are 2 Main Fuses in my W6 -- MF1 (100 A) and MF2 (150 A). Today, as I was familiarizing myself about the fuses and relays in the engine compartment, I was quite surprised (and alarmed) to see that MF1 is not properly secured. Whereas MF2 is secured by a screw and a nut, MF1 is secured only by a screw on one side but the nut on the other side is missing.

Apprehending arcing (and possible fire) due to loose connection on a high current (100 A) Main Fuse, I rang up the Service Manager of my dealer / A.S.S. and apprised him about my finding. He promised to check out other XUV's and revert. Subsequently, he informed me that only MF2 is connected in the circuit and MF1 is required to be put in circuit only if certain optional electrical accessories are installed and that is why MF1 has been deliberately left 'partially connected'.
Went through the same ordeal this weekend.
Found the MF1 fuse in my W6 is having a nut missing at one end. Before rushing to buy out another matching nut for putting there, just thought of googling it and this post of Debuda comes up as the 1st result.
Just love the data repository of TBHP.
9tMax is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks