Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2018, 16:02   #7816
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospass View Post
Dear Bhpians , I need your opinion on below :I am getting a discount offer of 1 Lac on XUV W6 AT variant . It's a November 2017 model. Is this discount good enough for more than 6 months old vehicle , also considering the fact that W6 variant is no more in production ? If it is too less then how much should I ask for ? I intend to keep the car for 5-7 years.

Last week when I booked my XUV, I was offered 1.5L discount on the pre-plush XUV model without any negotiations, I could have squeezed a bit more if I were to negotiate. You can try squeezing them a bit.
Old 22nd May 2018, 16:28   #7817

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Last week when I booked my XUV, I was offered 1.5L discount on the pre-plush XUV model without any negotiations, I could have squeezed a bit more if I were to negotiate. You can try squeezing them a bit.

Thanks .. have done another round of negotiation and now they are ready to offer 1.5 Lac of discount in total . I am trying for a bit more .. fingers crossed.
Old 25th May 2018, 15:39   #7818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
You are absolutely right, they are not related to registration of XUV. My November 2011 XUV RC has Saloon mentioned on it which was well before this thing came into force (2013 as per article).
Even my 2008 Scorpio is mentioned as a Saloon. May be they had not defined the category.
Old 22nd June 2018, 16:09   #7819
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
I took TD of W11 AT (O) and was told discount of 1.5 is on older version of XUV and not on new-Plush XUV. Can you confirm same.
Old 1st September 2018, 16:47   #7820
BHPian

Hello Fellow BHPians,

First of all, I jumped with joy when I saw an e-mail stating "Team-BHP Membership APPROVED" that to, at my forth attempt.
This being my first post I would like to thank all the moderators for giving me this opportunity to be part of this forum.

Now on to the topic of cars, SUV rather.
I own a pre-owned 2012 XUV 5OO W8 FWD bought in October 2015, ODO reading at the time of purchase 45xxx Kms.
Now after 35 months and 133xxx kms later(Current ODO reading) I am immensely satisfied with my beast. It has never let me down(except for one instance, more on that later) and has taken me and my family without much hesitation where ever we wanted to.
The only fly in the ointment being Mahindra service. Yes I know about the rattles which crop up randomly from any corner of the car but I have learnt to ignore them by now.
The only incident the car left my dad(He used to drive it then) stranded was in February 2016 when the Clutch Master Cylinder failed(while trying to engage 1st the clutch pedal wouldn't come back to it's original position) while waiting at a signal very close to my house. So after four months and at 54xxx Kms, we had to change the entire clutch assembly which included the clutch plate, fly wheel and master cylinder.
That was the only time I felt did i make the wrong choice?
But eventually I was proved wrong.

This is a small report that I wanted to post from a really long time, at the same time I have been working on the long term ownership report of my beast even before my membership could be approved.
Attaching some random pics of my beast.

Regards.
Sahil.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-after-long-day-work.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-night-shot.jpeg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-shot-cockpit.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-one-more-mile-stone.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-loaded-brim.jpeg  

OverKill is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 17:19   #7821
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP Sahil,

Nice short intro report to start with.

I was particularly interested in the below incident that you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverKill View Post
The only incident the car left my dad(He used to drive it then) stranded was in February 2016 when the Clutch Master Cylinder failed(while trying to engage 1st the clutch pedal wouldn't come back to it's original position) while waiting at a signal very close to my house. So after four months and at 54xxx Kms, we had to change the entire clutch assembly which included the clutch plate, fly wheel and master cylinder.
I would like to ask about what exactly happened after the clutch pedal sank.
I think one of the following 2 scenarios you would have faced:

1. You able to slot gears normally and since the clutch was depressed the car was not moving forward. OR;

2. You could not slot the gear because clutch pedal, though depressed, clutch mechanism was actually engaged- means it was more like trying to slot gear without pressing the clutch pedal.

Can you please point out what exactly out of the two happened.

Thanks!
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 1st September 2018 at 17:20.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 21:43   #7822
BHPian

Quote:
2. You could not slot the gear because clutch pedal, though depressed, clutch mechanism was actually engaged- means it was more like trying to slot gear without pressing the clutch pedal.
Thank you for the welcome,

So basically as you stated above, my dad couldn't slot any gears.
So after pushing the car to the side of the road with help of other road users.
My dad tried to evaluate the situation, but to his dismay nothing seemed to happen.
So at that time my dad called me stating the problem and asked me to call the Mahindra helpline. They forwarded my number to the local towing service.
I asked my dad to lock the car and carry on home, as I knew the car was safe as this happened right outside my friends building.
In the mean while I got a call from the tow service, stating they will be at the spot in a matter of two hours. I was also told I will have to pay Rs. 1200 for the tow service and they would drop the car to the nearest service center which was Infinity Autolinks Chunabhatti Kurla East Mumbai.

So the next day I get a call from the service advisor stating the clutch master cylinder has failed and other parts(which I mentioned in my previous post) and gave me an estimate of 75,000 plus taxes. This was given verbally and not mentioned via a quote or etc.

I was like whaat? Imagine our state when we were told that a car run 54xxx Kms needs a clutch overhaul. It was then we decided to tow the car to our FNG for further repairs. We were asked to pay an amount of 2524 including taxes as estimation charges.(Bill attached)
What happened at the FNG is a story for another day.

This was the only let down to an overall excellent ownership experience till date. That was the only time I have got any mechanical issues taken care of outside the the authorized service center for my XUV.

Heck believe me or not I was so impressed with the stock JK Elanzo's that I replaced them with the same make and type recently and not to mention that the stock ones last for 97xxx Kms and while changing them the Tyre shop fellow was stunned when I told him how much they had run and what looked like had quite some life left on them.

Attaching some pics I took today post my drive from work which is 112 Kms to and fro.

PS. sorry for the late reply, took some time to understand how the quote thing works.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_20180901_210313.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_20180901_210112.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_20180901_210157.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_20180901_210219.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Repair Order Bill Detail.pdf (209.7 KB, 476 views)
OverKill is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 08:10   #7823
BHPian

I changed my XUV's shoes recently after the stock Apollo tryes looked pretty worn out for 50K KMs on Odo (I had the same situation with my Rapid too). Since it's a company lease car and tyres are covered in the lease, I had it replaced without a second thought. However, I didn't have any say in selecting the replacement tyres. I was given GoodYear and here are the first impressions.

- Looks better and the ruggedness adds to the character of XUV
- Must softer on gravel roads but collects lot of small stones in it's threads
- Hugs the road a bit more than you expect (may be my impression)
- Could be better on wet roads but on normal roads I feel it's too much grip

Anybody has long term experience on GoodYear tyres on XUV? Especially highway experience, differences in mileage etc.,?
Old 3rd September 2018, 11:35   #7824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the welcome,

So basically as you stated above, my dad couldn't slot any gears.
So after pushing the car to the side of the road with help of other road users.
My dad tried to evaluate the situation, but to his dismay nothing seemed to happen.
Thanks for the information Sahil! Actually, it was a breather for me.
And I 'll tell you why. Once my Civic's clutch master cylinder failed in a similar manner. The push back spring in the master cylinder gave up and the pedal sank to the floor. But thankfully, this happened at the Honda workshop only. So, I did not face much trouble, save for the repair expenses. I wondered what if that had happened on road.

However, just for your reference, and emergency situations, this thread might help and save the day:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ut-clutch.html (Emergency driving - Without clutch)

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 12:05   #7825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
And I 'll tell you why. Once my Civic's clutch master cylinder failed in a similar manner. The push back spring in the master cylinder gave up and the pedal sank to the floor. But thankfully, this happened at the Honda workshop only. So, I did not face much trouble, save for the repair expenses. I wondered what if that had happened on road
You were really lucky!

It was very disappointing when something like this happens and to add to that the service center trying to fleece you is like

But I let that one pass as it was just an one off case with me and thanks to our forum, hence forth I was always prepared to when ever they tried to add any unwanted expenses to bill.

Regards.
Sahil.
OverKill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 12:21   #7826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I get a call from the service advisor stating the clutch master cylinder has failed and other parts(which I mentioned in my previous post) and gave me an estimate of 75,000 plus taxes. This was given verbally and not mentioned via a quote or etc.

It was then we decided to tow the car to our FNG for further repairs. We were asked to pay an amount of 2524 including taxes as estimation charges.(Bill attached)
What happened at the FNG is a story for another day.
Can you please tell what was the exact problem and how it was resolved at FNG ? The bill shows Part replacement value as 00 and only labour charges are there for the repair. What was the issue?
Old 3rd September 2018, 12:53   #7827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Can you please tell what was the exact problem and how it was resolved at FNG ? The bill shows Part replacement value as 00 and only labour charges are there for the repair. What was the issue?
At the MASS, no parts were changed as its mentioned in the attached bill.
They charged me 2204(labour charges) plus taxes = 2524 for finding out the the problem i.e clutch master cylinder failure and was also asked to change the fly wheel and the clutch plate as they were also completely worn out.

At the FNG the above mentioned parts were changed in addition to the rear brake pads and a few other things and the bill came out to be around 55k approx.
( I don't remember the exact amount and the other parts changed will attach the bill when I get home tonight for better reference)

The FNG had replaced the required parts with their equivalent original spares. I can vouch for this as I used to visit them daily in the three days they had the car was with them. The spares were purchased from Atlas Autoparts, Andheri East Mumbai, which apparently is an Mahindra authorized spare part dealer.

With that said, I cannot say if the the car actually needed a clutch overhaul or was being tricked here again as this FNG was advised by the used car dealer from where I had purchased XUV itself.

Hope this answers your query, do let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards.
Sahil.
Old 8th September 2018, 15:33   #7828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
And I 'll tell you why. Once my Civic's clutch master cylinder failed in a similar manner. The push back spring in the master cylinder gave up and the pedal sank to the floor. But thankfully, this happened at the Honda workshop only
Hello Again,

Sorry for the delay in attaching the FNG invoice.
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-galaxy-auto-pg-1.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-galaxy-auto-pg-2.jpg
PS. all the prices mentioned in the invoice are not verified by me, they were paid as quoted.

During the week, after the daily 5 hour commute to and fro to work, there is hardly any time and energy left for anything. Not that Saturday's are any better when it comes to commute, but work is a bit on a lighter side.
I reside in Andheri East and my factory is situated at Vasai East. My daily route is Sakivihar road - JVLR - Eastern Express Highway - Ghodbunder Road - Fountain - Vasai. People familiar with this route might be knowing what I am talking about.

On the flip-side the XUV has been a dream to own and drive (minus the traffic). The clutch after almost 80k kms is still going strong and the suspension even after 133xxx kms, feels solid. I had just got the front Bushes and Stabilizer's changed in the month of January, during the service.
I drive very sedately, with my maximum speed being around 90kmph, with no sudden accelerations and braking.

One More Milestone! (PS. was clicked by the passenger)
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_20180905_173520.jpg

One More!
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_20180905_182107.jpg

The ODO as of today!
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_20180908_113540.jpg

I got the horn changed yesterday to the Hella Chrome Twin Tone from the Bosch Dual tone which lasted 13 months.
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_20180727_200453__01.jpg

Quite happy with the end result, will be putting up a review with a video in the respective thread on Sunday.
Purchased it from Amazon.in for Rs. 1239.
Paid Rs. 100 to get it installed and was simple plug and play.
Link:http://https://www.amazon.in/Hella-0...s=hella+chrome
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_20180727_200515__01.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_20180727_200507__01.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_20180727_200559__012.jpg  

OverKill is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 15:56   #7829
BHPian

Quote:

So the next day I get a call from the service advisor stating the clutch master cylinder has failed and other parts(which I mentioned in my previous post) and gave me an estimate of 75,000 plus taxes. This was given verbally and not mentioned via a quote or etc..
This is known issue with XUV. I had same issue recently and got it replaced under warranty after a tough negotiations. Since these are categorized as wear and tear parts, these issues are easily passed on to us blaming our driving style.

I was almost complaining for more than a year on clutch release feel difference and finally I had to force them to check this case. Otherwise I will be standing somewhere in middle of the road.
sbala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 18:56   #7830
Distinguished - BHPian

As Sbala mentioned above, few XUV owners have faced this issue of clutch master cylinder going kaput. However, outside warranty, I guess the cost of replacement of master cylinder + clutch plate + flywheel is ~ 18K.

In any case, it is definitely not 75K.

Any member who has replaced the same can confirm the actual cost.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks