Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2018, 20:41   #7831
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

The clutch master / slave cylinder failure is a known defect for the XUV especially for the 2011-2012 models. The later models also had the issue as Mahindra could not solve the problem 100%. Had the problem when I completed 33k kilometres in my 2012 XUV. Although the vehicle still has extended warranty, I had to pay for it which was roughly around 20k .
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 11:25   #7832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
This is known issue with XUV. I had same issue recently and got it replaced under warranty after a tough negotiations. Since these are categorized as wear and tear parts, these issues are easily passed on to us blaming our driving style.
You were lucky, even though I had purchased the extended warranty for 2 years as soon as I purchased the car for roughly around 25k, I thought asking to replace clutch related parts for a 53k kms run car would be too much to ask for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
The clutch master / slave cylinder failure is a known defect for the XUV especially for the 2011-2012 models. The later models also had the issue as Mahindra could not solve the problem 100%. Had the problem when I completed 33k kilometres in my 2012 XUV. Although the vehicle still has extended warranty, I had to pay for it which was roughly around 20k .
You mentioned you still have extended warranty, is it possible to extend beyond the 5th year?
My warranty expired on 14th December 2017 and was told 5 years is the max coverage we can get.
Having factory warranty for 7 years is like cherry on the cake!
I am saying this, because my car had quite a few electric related warranty claims during 2 year extended warranty.

Regards.
Sahil.
Old 10th September 2018, 12:15   #7833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
As Sbala mentioned above, few XUV owners have faced this issue of clutch master cylinder going kaput. However, outside warranty, I guess the cost of replacement of master cylinder + clutch plate + flywheel is ~ 18K.

In any case, it is definitely not 75K.

Any member who has replaced the same can confirm the actual cost.
Thats right. Its well under 20k only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Mine is Gen 2 model. Still had this issue. But got it rectified under warranty as this happened during my 2nd year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverKill View Post
You were lucky, even though I had purchased the extended warranty for 2 years as soon as I purchased the car for roughly around 25k, I thought asking to replace clutch related parts for a 53k kms run car would be too much to ask for?
I am not sure about the need of whole clutch system, but definitely clutch master cylinder is a problematic part in XUV. At least, Mahindra should have covered this under warranty.
Old 20th September 2018, 09:36   #7834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
I changed my XUV's shoes recently after the stock Apollo tryes looked pretty worn out for 50K KMs on Odo (I had the same situation with my Rapid too). Since it's a company lease car and tyres are covered in the lease, I had it replaced without a second thought. However, I didn't have any say in selecting the replacement tyres. I was given GoodYear and here are the first impressions.

- Looks better and the ruggedness adds to the character of XUV
- Must softer on gravel roads but collects lot of small stones in it's threads
- Hugs the road a bit more than you expect (may be my impression)
- Could be better on wet roads but on normal roads I feel it's too much grip

Anybody has long term experience on GoodYear tyres on XUV? Especially highway experience, differences in mileage etc.,?

While there were no comments for my post above, I got the answer today. 20 days old Good Year tyre (rear left) burst on the way to Office today. Tyre pressure was checked few days back (32 psi). Road I was driving today was good to. Doubting the quality of tyre now as I can't think any other cause.
drivingme.crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 09:13   #7835
BHPian

Quote:
20 days old Good Year tyre (rear left) burst on the way to Office today. Tyre pressure was checked few days back (32 psi). Road I was driving today was good to. Doubting the quality of tyre now as I can't think any other cause.
That's sad as Good Year tires are ideally good overall.
With that said Good Year tires are basically made of a soft compound which makes them more vulnerable, in our kind of Monsoon road situation currently.

I am assuming Banglore isn't any better than Mumbai as of now when it comes to road condition.

I am pretty sure that, it has to be some kind of a manufacturing defect as a 20 day old tire cannot give up so early in its life cycle. Did you check the manufacturing date on them? There is a high possibility that the tires must have not been from a recent batch and must be lying with the seller for quite some time causing cracks to develop on them.

I personally prefer a hard compound tire than these soft ones as tire life is paramount for me. That is why I had replaced the stock JK Elanzo's with the same at the time of replacement. The stock JK lasted a cool 95k Kms for me. with barely 3-4 punctures on only 2 tires. Off-course I am a very sedate driver and have rarely crossed 100kmph on my XUV.
Hoping your issue to be solved to your satisfaction immediately.

Thanks
Sahil.
OverKill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 14:28   #7836
BHPian

Quote:
....20 days old Good Year tyre (rear left) burst on the way to Office today. Tyre pressure was checked few days back (32 psi). Road I was driving today was good to. Doubting the quality of tyre now as I can't think any other cause.

Lease company took the vehicle today and replaced it with a new GoodYear tyre. According to the "forensics" the blow-out was due to a damage caused from outside. If it's bad quality tyre, they claim the blow-out happens from inside. Here's a picture of the damage.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-photo6143116501591369824.jpg

But here comes the shocker.

They said they found the below metal plate inside the tyre (Pen for scale).

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-photo6143116501591369826.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-photo6143116501591369828.jpg

The incident happened on the Bellandur flyover, ORR in Bangalore around 6 AM.

Now, I'm not even going into the physics of these kind of objects entering the trye... but what are the odds?
Old 2nd January 2019, 18:31   #7837
BHPian

I have not got any map update from service center since last 2 years on my 2012 xuv. I find many latest routes and bridges are missing in map.

Is there anyway I can check if I have latest version of map?
Old 3rd January 2019, 00:06   #7838
BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
I have not got any map update from service center since last 2 years on my 2012 xuv. I find many latest routes and bridges are missing in map.

Last few visits I paid to Mahindra ASS, they told me that they no longer have an update to the maps for the first gen model. I tried to talk to them about how it will only be a firmware update for MapmyIndia version, but they just had no idea about it. Naturally, got a 'Sorry sir, no longer supported sir' reply. Hope others can clarify.

Last edited by karthick_b : 3rd January 2019 at 00:10.
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:01   #7839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Lease company took the vehicle today and replaced it with a new GoodYear tyre.
There are couple of XUV owners I know who have shifted to GoodYears and have positive feedback on the same.

I guess yours is just a case of unfortunate circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
I think the last update came in 2016. I am not able to recollect the exact version, I guess it was MMI version 9 and some users had reported few issues with that.

That said, I have stopped using dash navigation, Google maps with offline mode works best.
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:54   #7840
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthick_b View Post
Last few visits I paid to Mahindra ASS, they told me that they no longer have an update to the maps for the first gen model.
Approach MMI directly, they will have an update since they sell the same maps on their devices to other customers as well.
Old 17th January 2019, 17:27   #7841
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

My XUV has done 77,000 KM and I'm feeling the judder while releasing the clutch pedal especially in the city traffic after driving for a while in the start-stop Bangalore traffic. Though it's not so evident on the highway drives as it mainly occurs during engaging 1st and 2nd gears.

I feel its increasing gradually day by day. I'm worried that it may go kaput soon and would like to go in for the replacement soon. So please share your experiences and the costs involved. Any help is much appreciated on this topic.
Old 17th January 2019, 18:04   #7842
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
Hi all,

My XUV has done 77,000 KM and I'm feeling the judder while releasing the clutch pedal especially in the city traffic after driving for a while in the start-stop Bangalore traffic. Though it's not so evident on the highway drives as it mainly occurs during engaging 1st and 2nd gears.
This could also be an indication of worn engine mounts.

Does the vehicle rpm increase without the corresponding increase in speed/pick up at any gear?

Clutch replacement is ~30k INR including the flywheel.
Old 17th January 2019, 19:14   #7843
BHPian

I had similar problem after 65kms. They replaced just flywheel in my case. It has run 5k more and is fine now.
avimal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 12:30   #7844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This could also be an indication of worn engine mounts.

Does the vehicle rpm increase without the corresponding increase in speed/pick up at any gear?

Clutch replacement is ~30k INR including the flywheel.
I do not experience any increase in RPM as you mentioned, just the juddering i feel while releasing the clutch.
Old 15th February 2019, 10:39   #7845
BHPian

Hi XUV Owners, I have a 2018 plush XUV. I am getting ready for the 10k kms 3rd free service. While I was checking the manual, I couldn't see any free service coupon and I forgot how I had done it for last free service. Can you please confirm?

Most Viewed