1. Cruze
2. Civic
3. Corolla Altis
4. Fluidic Verna
5. Skoda Laura
6. Jetta
7. Vento
8. Fluence
XUV is 20cm *wider* than C segment cars & around 15cm wider than D-segment cars. This could a criteria for people with smaller garage.
Old 17th October 2011, 13:12   #332
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV5OO : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
... I would have appreciated more pics, especially under the car and more information on things like suspension setup.

I have had a strange reaction to the XUV. I hated it in the pics, liked it live. Infact I think the car doesn't photograph well, the front doesn't look half as bad as it does in pics and the back is actually not bad at all. You don't get that from the pics. Some of the plastics and color choices could be improved, the console reflection is irritating and needs to be addressed.
+1 to the above. Didn't like XUV's face and back in the pictures, however, it ain't so bad when I saw in person. Actually felt that it might grow on you as time goes by.

Also hope that Mahindra addresses the negatives at the earliest (by the time I book??!!)

My 2 cents regarding the pictures posted - they are all brilliant with right exposure and great detail, but some of the close-up's are too close to get an understanding of what it is.

Of course, you get a hang of it after pondering over and reading the related phrases up 'somewhere' in the review, cross checking with other 'wide-angle' pictures and build a mental map of surrounding parts. If only a slightly (mind you, only 'slightly') wider area around the main subject is also covered will go a long way. (Example: Glove box, USB/Aux pod, etc).

Also, helps a lot, is an even distribution of the text and photos. I am not sure if there's any thread / technical limitation, but current practice of long paragraphs of text followed by a torrent of pictures in separate post calls for lot of scrolling (especially when coupled with the abstract pictures mentioned above). It also helps to break the monotony and makes an easy read.

Someone in this thread has brought up the idea of using videos instead of photos. I second them, however, both can exist and compliment each other is my view.

Sorry for this rather long and nit picking post ( as well)!

This is a brilliant review with minute attention to detail that is supported by excellent photos (example: motifs in rear lights, 2nd row floor a/c vents). Kudos to Manson and GTO.

Cheers!!
Old 17th October 2011, 13:46   #333
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
agreed , at the bare minimum the user should give credit and mention the source of the content or image if it has been picked up from elsewhere.

maybe one of the mods can ping him on FB or put the relevant comment below his image?
i agree. Atleast he should quote the team BHP source besides that photo
Old 17th October 2011, 13:54   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
Nope. I remembered to take my foot off the clutch completely. Were you able to test the start-stop feature?
Yes it did work for me. As soon as i pressed the clutch again, the engine started.
The test vehicle was already driven for 2.5k Kms. There were no squeaks or rattles as such. All the basic features worked fine.
However, the camping lights of display vehicle wasnt working. SA said, battery down
Old 17th October 2011, 13:59   #335
BHPian

Great review and pictures, thanks for the insight of XUV5OO.

With this launch, I am sure Mahindra has broken the barrier between passenger cars and SUVs. I mean its dream come true for the people like me who always wanted a SUV in the affordable range of passenger cars. In fact I was waiting for the launch of Renault Duster SUV, which is suppose to be priced around 10-12L. XUV5OO created a new slot for itself and as rightly told by GTO, it will challenge the segment immediately below and above it.

Whenever I wanted to research cars, Mahindra was never on my list. Mahindra "Rise" surely rose in the hearts of non-Mahindra customers as well. It made an impact and created a lasting impression with this premuim package.

Great deal from Mahindra, wish it "Rises" A.S.S too to reach new highs.
Old 17th October 2011, 14:24   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
Nope. I remembered to take my foot off the clutch completely. Were you able to test the start-stop feature?
Even when activated, Start/Stop functions normally only kick in if the climate control has reached the desired temperature setting. The electronics wont allow the engine to shut off if you have selected say for example 22 degrees C and the vehicle hasn't yet been cooled to this temperature.
Old 17th October 2011, 14:32   #337
BHPian

My observations from test driving the XUV500 w/ Sireesh Auto, Bangalore:

1) Solid looks - Pictures can make it look boxy, but in flesh, it is not

2) Driver seat, comfort and steering adjustment:
a) I am big fan of the simple instrumentation cluster. Somehow I found it tough to see the RPM meter w/ steering getting in the way, maybe it is a question of getting used to it

b) Dead pedal is a half-hearted attempt at providing respite to your left leg

c) By sliding the armrest forward, I was able to rest my arm on it and yet change gears. Gearbox itself is reasonable - not super slick, but not too bad. However the clutch can and does provide some feedback unless operated with a heavy foot

d) Headrests are OK, but I am big fan of Maruti style huge headrests on cars, which provide better support to the neck

e) Conversation mirror is awesome

3) Engine is a gem - First and second gear are more for crawling in the city traffic w.o. using too much clutch, but the car comes into its own in the 3rd. 3rd is very flexible and refined too - so much so that at 70 kph, I was not feeling any need to up shift to 4th. I know several people remarked that it is a linear engine, but I actually felt the turbo 'big time' in 3rd

4) Lot of reflection on the windscreen from the glossy top central console - that would need to be covered w/ a rubber mat or something to prevent reflections

5) Issues in test car w/ electronics
a) Hill hold/descent could not be switched off
b) Rear ac button press had no affect on the indicator lamp - sales person passed it off as saying that rear is already cooled, so further cooling is not required !!
c) Somehow could not figure out how to switch-on front fog lamps

All in all, a very pleasing car, but look at it as a 5 seater and an occasional seven seater with excellent engine, ride and go-anywhere capability in the urban-context (rather than off-roading). Driving on some of the Bangalore road does feel like offroading to a great extent
sbhasin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 14:49   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Driving on some of the Bangalore road does feel like offroading to a great extent
I agree Mate.. .. now days.. offroading is part of daily life in Bangalore.
Old 17th October 2011, 14:59   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhasin View Post
Driving on some of the Bangalore road does feel like offroading to a great extent
That was spot on.... with the number of humps in every 10 mtrs (try the road between Sarjapur road and Hosa road aka Haralur road). With a good auto transmission, I am sure the XUV will be a runaway success if they can match the demand and supply keeping the price within limits.
Old 17th October 2011, 15:24   #340
BHPian

As always T-BHP reviews are the benchmark and this one does not disappoint. Thanks - rated 5 stars. Went and checked out the XUV in flesh - agree with many that it looks better in person than in photos. A very nice offering at a fantastic price point from Mahindra.

Now everything will depend on the A.S.S and long term reliability of the vehicle.

I'm working on a project for a Tier 1 Supplier who supplies climate (cooling/heating) systems for XUV 500. M&M looks pretty serious on the quality front - there are regular quality audits by M&M. Hope M&M keeps improving on the long term reliability.
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 15:34   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_sage View Post
Well the story is pretty much the same for me too. Booked on October 1st and didn't even get a call! Finally after many emails managed to get a tentative date which still varies from Feb 11th to March 25th depending on who i spoke to!

The weird part is that if Mahindra got bookings for 8000 cars and with a production capacity of 2000 cars per month I should've still got mine in 4 months even if i was the last person to book, not 6 months!! And i didn't even book an AWD
Sir_Sage: Have you booked a white color AWD or FWD per chance? I have heard from a lot many folks that these are the possible combinations which are essentially the most delayed- probably Mahindra has run out of this colour or is going to manufacture this in the end- I dunno- but white color is a problem affair or so it seems.
Old 17th October 2011, 15:41   #342
BHPian

a very detailed review, surely deserves 5 star.i have booked w8 on 5th oct. just recieved a call from mahindra guys stating that they cannot commit any date because of the surprising response towards the car.
one of my colleagues had booked on 2nd oct and had been given a tentaive date of 15th april by the mahindra people. i think my number would be at very bottom of the waiting list..(my booking no. at the dealership is around 550).
Old 17th October 2011, 16:24   #343
BHPian

Just happened to go through the review. Manson deserves as much credit reviewing the car as Mahindra launching it!! Great attention to detail! Isn't there 6 stars!!

The car looks awesome and Mahindra is in fact 'rising'! But I only wish they named it something else. Just when I was getting used to calling XUV-Five-Hundred, came this double 'O' thingy!! Too hard! By the time I finish X-U-V-Five-Double-O the car itself would lose patience.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 16:37   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Holy..! Superb paint quality or an excellent polish job. But the reflections are highlighting and enhancing all that chrome and the car is looking garish and cheap IMHO

People, don't opt the chrome pack with the XUV
Wait till I show you mine in silver with chrome all over, it looks a stunner !!
see it in real and it demoloshes audi Q5 in looks department completely, Nissan X trail looks 2 generation old and outlander looks like 5 yr older model of XUV
Pankaj_Ahlawat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 16:45   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
Wait till I show you mine in silver with chrome all over, it looks a stunner !!
see it in real and it demoloshes audi Q5 in looks department completely, Nissan X trail looks 2 generation old and outlander looks like 5 yr older model of XUV
Pankaj Dude: Where do you live in Delhi? I have ordered a silver XUV too and would like to check out what difference does the chrome make! Lemme know and we can catch up at a place of convenience!

So glad to learn that you are making such bold statements against Audi and the likes- be it only for the looks deptt. Would surely like to check out the looks of your XUV with chrome all over. Way to go!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks