Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 15:26   #406
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

I test drove the XUV today. Since many of our members had already given the test reports I would like to point to some of the aspects that I had observed.

It feels airy and the visibility in front and sides are excellent. Rear view is average and I did not try reversing so cannot comment more on it.

The engine is peppier and could not feel the turbo lag much.(I have a punto 75 bhp)

The steering is very good and I did not feel like driving a SUV except for the higher driving position.

Loaded with features (definitely this is going to drive sales)

The vehicle feels unstable and high NVH at higher RPMs in 2nd gear.

The left and right portions over the wheel arches are not metallic sheets.

The boot is at best not present when all the seats are up. The roof top luggage holder is a regular accessory.

One of the doors got locked with me inside and I had to come out through the other door ( I just cannot imagine a failed door lock after few days of usage)
Old 18th October 2011, 16:02   #407
BHPian

It is strange that nobody has yet received the XUV ? And increase in the delivery date for an existing booking. Does Mahindra has found any defect in the XUV and now solving it ?
Old 18th October 2011, 16:06   #408
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
TM may not be worried about the features of XUV, but they may be wondering how M&M could sell these features at this price and make a profit.
If the cost of manufacturing (taking into consideration the development cost and various other factors) is exactly same for both Aria and XUV, MM need to sell ~5 times the volume of Aria to make the same amount profit per month.
The Cost of the vehicles itself may be significantly different to make to start with. The Aria is overall much larger on the outside atleast and based on what I have see in the XUV seems to have a bit higher grade of plastic etc being used. The most significant two differences are that the Aria is a Ladder Chassis while XUV is Monocoque, also the Aria is about 450+ kgs heaver - that would amount for stuff that costs. That said the XUV definately feels better value, yet we are not aware of the NCAP testing nor about the difference in internals. Sometimes one overdesigns for a segment and TATA appears to have done that - explaining how they were able to reduce about 200kgs in the 4X2 variant (all of it not being the drive train)

That said M&M would obviously be operating at a lower margin right now compared to TATA for the Aria but the difference may not be as large as felt initially, the cost of the two vehicle itself may be quite different. (Of course that is what an Aria owner may feel - but based on checking out the XUV in person do get that feeling and hope am being sufficently neutral to comment)
Old 18th October 2011, 16:11   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconic View Post
One of the doors got locked with me inside and I had to come out through the other door ( I just cannot imagine a failed door lock after few days of usage)
Could it be because of the child lock? Was it rear door?
Old 18th October 2011, 16:21   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-drive View Post
timetraveller, SKS on Bannerghatta road doesn't have a AWD. The white one, even i drove the same one for TD and i specifically checked with the Sales Adviser. He confirmed that they do not have an AWD for TD and both white and green are W8 FWD models.
The purple color one is the one which someone mentioned earlier on , has a problem in LHS Front door closing. Incidentally that's the color I have chosen, and on booking date of 8th October, they are estimating 29 weeks of delivery...which takes me into March
The test drive vehicle in Sirish was a AWD . Not sure why SKS does not have one .

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconic View Post
I test drove the XUV today. Since many of our members had already given the test reports I would like to point to some of the aspects that I had observed.

It feels airy and the visibility in front and sides are excellent. Rear view is average and I did not try reversing so cannot comment more on it.

The engine is peppier and could not feel the turbo lag much.(I have a punto 75 bhp)

The steering is very good and I did not feel like driving a SUV except for the higher driving position.

Loaded with features (definitely this is going to drive sales)

The vehicle feels unstable and high NVH at higher RPMs in 2nd gear.

The left and right portions over the wheel arches are not metallic sheets.

The boot is at best not present when all the seats are up. The roof top luggage holder is a regular accessory.

Its a boon that left and right wheel arches are not metal . Imagine , Mumbai or Bangalore traffic where our infamous 2 wheelers try to squeeze 360 degree attack by scratching ur vehicle left , right and center . With the Arches not metallic and high end ABS Plastic , it would be easier to replace any one of them .
This way it would be easy to maintain the vehicle's over all look

M & M has followed the same with Scorpio wheel arches . Scorpio had more of these plastics on the door . XUV looks to have only two .( Left and right side of the vehicle front view )

Last edited by Eddy : 18th October 2011 at 16:57. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
Old 18th October 2011, 16:53   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Its a boon that left and right wheel arches are not metal . Imagine , Mumbai or Bangalore traffic where our infamous 2 wheelers try to squeeze 360 degree attack by scratching ur vehicle left , right and center . With the Arches not metallic and high end ABS Plastic , it would be easier to replace any one of them .
This way it would be easy to maintain the vehicle's over all look

M & M has followed the same with Scorpio wheel arches . Scorpio had more of these plastics on the door . XUV looks to have only two .( Left and right side of the vehicle front view )
The area above the wheel are not two different parts like scorpio. Its a single part that starts in the bumper in front and ends up at the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-mahindraxuv5oo07.jpg  

Last edited by iconic : 18th October 2011 at 17:05. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
Old 18th October 2011, 17:03   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconic

Yes Its rear door but I was able to open the other one.
The child lock can be activated separately or independently on each of the rear doors. 99% it was the child lock that was activated. Did you try opening the same door from the outside (that did't open from the inside)?
Old 18th October 2011, 17:07   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
The child lock can be activated separately or independently on each of the rear doors. 99% it was the child lock that was activated. Did you try opening the same door from the outside (that did't open from the inside)?
May be. I did not try it from outside.
Old 18th October 2011, 17:25   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
It is strange that nobody has yet received the XUV ? And increase in the delivery date for an existing booking. Does Mahindra has found any defect in the XUV and now solving it ?
I think deliveries have begun in Mumbai and Bangalore.
Old 18th October 2011, 18:04   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
They are already on road maybe just not yet on Team-BHP. Got to see couple on road in Pune and Mumbai in last couple of days, Red, Silver, White and they have quite a presence on road.
Old 18th October 2011, 18:15   #416
BHPian

Here comes my XUV 500

Got the delivery today
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img00609201110181150.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img00610201110181246.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img00616201110181736.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img00617201110181736.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img00618201110181737.jpg  

mannubhai is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 18:17   #417
Senior - BHPian

Let me the first to congratulate you!!! lovely colour , definitely expecting a report from your end!
Old 18th October 2011, 18:22   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Here comes my XUV 500

Got the delivery today
Waw looks really fabulous and majestic in Black. Congrats Manoj. Time to start your thread. We were just talking there is none on Team-BHP and Voila there it is. Is this W6 or W8?

Edit: Just noticed, it has Wheel Caps. It has got to be W6.

Last edited by parsh : 18th October 2011 at 18:23.
Old 18th October 2011, 18:35   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Here comes my XUV 500

Got the delivery today
Congrats on the new ride. Can you please confirm if the outside mirrors are power foldable or not? There has been a confusion in their brochure hence wanted to know.
Old 18th October 2011, 18:38   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Let me the first to congratulate you!!! lovely colour , definitely expecting a report from your end!
Thank you puchoo... It should be on way

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Waw looks really fabulous and majestic in Black. Congrats Manoj. Time to start your thread. We were just talking there is none on Team-BHP and Voila there it is. Is this W6 or W8?

Edit: Just noticed, it has Wheel Caps. It has got to be W6.
Thank You Parsh..Yeah its a W6 . Black looked the best for the beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Congrats on the new ride. Can you please confirm if the outside mirrors are power foldable or not? There has been a confusion in their brochure hence wanted to know.
Nitin, Thanks a lot .. The outside mirrors are NOT power foldable in a W6. The adjustments though are electric.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks