Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2011, 16:39   #301
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

@raj_5004:

Yes, I drove it to Lonavala for the night and the shots the other day - on the ghats, though this was for the FWD version, it felt quick, nimble and safe. Minimal body roll but frankly, it would be unfair and tough to compare with the Innova - its been a while I drove the Innova actually. That said, the XUV has ESP which does kick in if the need arises

Last edited by manson : 16th October 2011 at 23:50.
Old 16th October 2011, 16:56   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia
I had the XUV for two days with me and drove both with 2 on-board as well as four of us with luggage in the hills of Lonavala. No, there wasnt ANY drop in power / punch / performance. U don't feel the extra weight in vehicles with big engines n huge amounts of torque. Infact, the XUV picks up easily from as low as 1500rpm in first 3 cogs.
As for off-roading, its hard to get the AWD version from M&M - even Manson drove the 2WD version - just like we did. It performed more than adequately and does come with goodies like hill descent for steep declines off the road. My 2 cents.

PS: And it was us who took the 190km/h video. Please note this was speedo indicated on a fairly empty part of the expressway. Mahindra quotes true top whack of 179km/h which translates into around 190 with speedo error.
Not sure why M& M supplied only 2 WD and not a AWD . AWD is now passed by all dealers for a test drive .
I drove one in Bangalore , could not test all features . Hope mason and team would do one more review with the AWD
Old 16th October 2011, 17:00   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
could you remove the grill completely in PS and just put mahindra logo on he black part.
Somebody who knows PS please do this. Or i will spend my whole Sunday eve doing this

It should look good.

The bucktooth face of Mahindra does not gel with the rest of the scheme in XUV.
Old 16th October 2011, 17:05   #304
BHPian

What you will call it ?

Old 16th October 2011, 18:01   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
What you will call it ?
Holy..! Superb paint quality or an excellent polish job. But the reflections are highlighting and enhancing all that chrome and the car is looking garish and cheap IMHO

People, don't opt the chrome pack with the XUV
Old 16th October 2011, 18:12   #306
BHPian

Thanks Manson, for the brilliant and comprehensive review of XUV5OO!! However, you have made no mention if this vehicle has been subject to crash test and a ny mention of the safety rating.
While I would want to believe that this would be a very fundamental criteria that is satisfied, M&M has not exactly been known to comply by this all the time, the Scorpio still does not have a crash test rating if I'm not mistaken.
In the absense of the vehicle being subject to and passing atleast the off set frontal crash test and the side impact test ( even the nano has passed it) talking about having airbags and loaded with safety features may be fooling ourselves into a false sense of security. Also is this the reason M&M is able to offer this vehicle at this price??
Old 16th October 2011, 18:17   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
A price hike is expected. But, I doubt if M&M will kill the goose that lays golden eggs.

People are flocking in because of the price. If the price hike is around a maximum of 50K, it's still manageable. If they hike it by a Lakh, then the W8 FWD will be about 16 Lakhs on road and W8 AWD will be 17 Lakhs on road in Bangalore. At that price, we can get a tried and tested Cruze. So why take a risk with a new product.

At least I'm likely to cancel my booking if they hike by 1 Lakh. Then wait for another year, get some feedback about reliability, give Mahindra some time to fix the initial niggles and maybe bring on an AT as well. I'm sure many customers would think that way.
I am sure most people will think the same way and then by the time they (M&M) realize the same there could be more vehicles in the market and or some of them would have brought the prices down too. So IMHO if they look at the short term strategy by the new breed of marketing professionals to make money when there is demand.... it may not go the long way or they may end up offering the "yellow board" . At the moment they have the privilege of selling off all vehicles that will be made in the next 4 months....
Old 16th October 2011, 19:53   #308
BHPian

Attachment 827846Found these Pictures on M&M FB...
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-318665_10150314622120876_635045875_8480428_1067876880_n.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-306412_10150350754219172_587339171_7967441_1038634477_n.jpg  

Old 16th October 2011, 20:17   #309
Senior - BHPian

Today I had a brief look at XUV in real (could not test drive it)
The car looks much better then in photographs, especially the front nose. I liked the way the grill, headlamps wraparound a curve. Stance is impressive but the vehicle look tall and short in length (somewhat bulkier) and did not look as sleek as in the pictures. Rear is still a badly executed part IMO.

The floor is higher then I expected it to be and one would need to climb a bit.
Regarding the plastic quality, I found most of them to be good. The central console which is made out of high glossy material is brilliantly finished.
I personally did not like the long grain (like in wood) finish they have got on the dashboard and door panels.
The problem is with the brown plastic they have around the controls on the door and on either ends of the dashboard. With this color it is hard to make anything which doesn't look cheap. Make it black it would look lot better.
There are some parts (like gear knob) which are painted with silver finish, the paint work is seamless and these parts already show the sign of wear (on the external paint coat).
Some of the detailing, like the panels underneath the seats are too squarish and look utilitarian (tractor like).
Overall the interior quality is much better then I thought and is quite livable.

I did not test drive the car but I found the clutch feel (when it was stationary) to be very strange. It was like on-off, where you require effort to depress it but when it moves it moves with full travel like sinking suddenly (not easy to modulate). I remember this is how it was on a Xylo when I had driven it for a short distance.
Old 16th October 2011, 20:54   #310
BHPian

Since you people cannot take criticism- here are my two words to describe the vehicle- FANTASTIC JOB.

KD.
Old 16th October 2011, 21:06   #311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
What you will call it ?

That's a rapper-cheetah!

That's just too much chrome on a car that already looks overdone! All those slats, and that super-shiny grille is all a bit much! Why doesn't Team BHP have a thumbs-down option?
Old 16th October 2011, 21:10   #312
BHPian

I went to a Mahindra showroom today in Koramangala, Bangalore. I don't recall ever seeing so many people in there and all of them were, of course, there for the XUV. A Scorpio was parked next to it and no one even so much gave it a passing glance. I had to wait for 10 minutes just to look at the vehicle in the showroom. The test drive vehicle literally had a queue.

Some observations:
  1. It definitely looks much better in person than in the photos. The car in the showroom was of green color and I must say that it was the perfect color to give it an appearance of strength (linking it to the similarly-colored military trucks).
  2. The front grill looked absolutely fabulous in green color. The photos give the impression that it flares on the sides but it was not so. It's been designed to give the car a macho demeanor and I must say that it was successful in doing that.
  3. The clutch was too stiff. I had to push it really hard and then it suddenly went all the way down. I tried it a few times but same thing happened each time. The sales rep said it could be adjusted by them. There is no way you can use it start-and-stop city traffic and not get knee pain.
  4. The clutch is too high when compared to the accelerometer. And the accelerometer is too soft and has a very short travel. Seems like two separate design teams worked on the clutch and accelerometer.
  5. The clutch, brake, and accelerometer are too tightly spaced together. And there is not enough gap between the dead-pedal and the clutch. The whole foot well seemed cramped for such a large vehicle.
  6. The headlight/indicator stalks on the sides of the steering wheel seemed too flimsy. And the plastic looked cheap too. If you move it up and down, the clicks are not confidence-inspiring. My cheapo Alto has much better stalks.
  7. The third row seats fold completely flat. If no one tells you there are seats in there, you won't be able to find out. So if you think of XUV as a car, the third row seats are an added bonus.
Had a quite positive impression overall. I hope it takes away some bookings from Vento and reduces the waiting period
Old 16th October 2011, 21:24   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
The fact that the tanks are made from plastic makes them more vulnerable for piercing impacts.
I don' think it should be of much concern as the plastics used in fuel tanks have to meet pretty stringent requirements and they are of course tested for all such eventualities. Here is some more information on this:

Plastic fuel tanks
Old 16th October 2011, 22:33   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Since you people cannot take criticism- here are my two words to describe the vehicle- FANTASTIC JOB.KD.
Healthy and positive criticism is the forerunner to change and development. You are free to air such criticism in here. None prevent you; the forum says so.
Old 16th October 2011, 22:45   #315
BHPian

Has anyone compared this XUV to the recently launched SUV called "Force One". Apparently this also falls in the same price bracket and is similar in package.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks