Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2015, 10:35   #7066
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

I have had an Innova before which I traded in to "ugrade" to the XUV.

I am aware that the Innova now costs more than the XUV but I still consider the XUV as an upgrade simply because IMHO, the XUV offers much better comfort, plushness, driving pleasure and refinement.

Reliability be damned, its not that the XUV breaks down every other day. Of course for someone whose only priority is that a machine should run 24x7 without complaining, the Innova is the best bet.

Out of the two, the VFM option according to me is the XUV.

P.S.: XUV will never offer the characteristics of a hatch/sedan because it is NOT a hatch/sedan. Neither can the Fortuner, Innova, Storme, Aria... When you drive the XUV, drive it like you drive a UV and you are set...

Last edited by raj_5004 : 10th March 2015 at 10:37.
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 12:00   #7067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
LOL. Unfortunately I cannot describe the XUV niggles here but there is a dedicated thread just for the niggles:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...solutions.html

Be warned that it's 200 pages long

Well yes Innova comparison is inevitable. If you need a chauffeur driven comfortable car from A to B then Innova is pretty much the default choice. The bullet proof gives a hassle free ownership which is of prime importance to many who just don't want to deal with small niggles or cant bear multiple visits in between service intervals for fixing some small issues. For them reliability trumps handling, performance and fun to drive.

If the trip I did was in an Innova instead of XUV, the passengers might have been equally comfortable but I would have been bored the minute we hit the highway. The XUV kept the passengers more than happy but also kept the driver engaged. This is in essence the difference between the XUV and Innova.

Moreover the Innova is at best good for relaxed 100-110kmph cruising. After that the lack of 6th gear, short gear ratios and buzzy engine just make it really lacklustre on the highway.

The cars with 6th gear like the XUV, Jetta, Duster 110, new Corolla, Verna, Elite i20 and a few more have a huge advantage on the highway when it comes to relaxed cruising as well as highway. I barely finished a tank from Bangalore to Madikeri and back in the XUV covering close to 750kms.
Scanned thru' the niggles link. Indeed, lots of pages talking about gadgets, to electrical complaints to rusting issues etc.

I agree, one has to make a decision & choose between reliability & performance (INNOVA) v/s fun to drive & power factor (XUV).

I can understand where you are coming from, since, some 20+ years back I used to own a Enfield Bullet 350. Those were the days, when the 0 maintenance Japanese bikes (Ind-Suzuki, Hero Honda Yamaha, Kawasaki etc.) were just introduced. At the time my friends used to love their fill it, shut it, forget it; new Japanese bikes. But for me, in spite of the Bullet 350 giving less mileage plus small niggles (like periodic tappet adjustments, spark plug cleaning, battery maintenance [had to fill water those days and put petroleum jelly on contacts], and of course the famous oil leak on the ground when parked overnight etc.), it was the majestic bullet beat, fun & power (350 CC) factor that I was sold on.
I think yours are similar thoughts, you do not mind small niggles so long as you have a powerful mHAWK engine under the hood that gets you very engaged while driving your powerful SUV.

The missing 6th gear on the Innova is something that many wish for & talk about. Good to read that you are really enjoying your XUV ride. Keep us updated.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 14:56   #7068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To summarize my 750 kms driving experience with the XUV500: "I'm a fan!!"
Thanks for sharing your experience Vid.

I had been sitting on the fence about buying an XUV for couple of months now but I am more of less decided on getting one soon. However my dilemma now is whether i should use the march end time frame to get a good deal from dealer or wait for the face lifted version for which there is no official news. I am sure for sometime when facelift is released, there will be less deals rolling out. Externally there is not much change, I wonder if the change is only internal dashboard or mechanical setup also? Any thoughts from the forum?

Overall during my search so far I have checked out and driven ecosport, verna, ciaz, city, rapid and XUV. I know these cars are not necessarily in the same segment but what really set the XUV apart for me was the engine driveability, space, features and superbly insulated cabin from external noise. Since i currently own Ikon and Figo, my benchmark for interior quality is not very high hence its not a deal breaker for me per se
Old 11th March 2015, 19:14   #7069
BHPian

Guys, reading your posts just makes me smile ear to ear. And the old Onida ad comes to my mind.. Owners pride, neighbours envy.. just kidding.

I was also in ooty last week and on my way back had seen 1 or 2 Zoom xuvs going up.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
Even I took the XUV for my Ooty trip from Zoom, pick up place was Hotel Grand Mercure Koramangala.
It was a brand new car with just 1300 Kms on odo. Now coming to the car, It is an effortless cruiser but the long gearshift throws are a pain and I was somewhat getting tired too soon. May be I am a sedan guy but those 350 kms weren't fatigue free as people claim with SUVs.

My takeaway is that it is still far from a world-class product, not a good comparison but my i20 and Verna feels tighter and does things with precision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

P.S.: XUV will never offer the characteristics of a hatch/sedan because it is NOT a hatch/sedan. Neither can the Fortuner, Innova, Storme, Aria... When you drive the XUV, drive it like you drive a UV and you are set...
Having owned the XUV for around 3 years and having done around 40k kms, have to admit this is one hell of a car to drive. I usually drive down from bangalore to trivandrum and vice versa around 3-4 times a year, apart from other long trips. ANd I never get tired doing those long drives. But then it does take some time to get used to the driving style of the car. Most new owners (me included) initially compared the XUV to our earlier cars and made judgements. But with time and kms, we have all learned the way it has to be driven. So no worries, believe you also went through the same phase...

And I totally agree to Raj's closing comments. Comparing the characteristic of the XUV or any SUV vs a sedan/hatch is a total no-no. Both have their pluses and minuses. These beasts needs to be handled differently to enjoy them fully.

FundaG
Old 11th March 2015, 20:17   #7070
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
wait for the face lifted version for which there is no official news. I am sure for sometime when facelift is released, there will be less deals rolling out.
One point which I would like to make as far as the new XUV is supposed to come out.

The sunroof equipped XUV has just hit the showrooms, so any other updated XUV is at least 6 months away or maybe an year [going by the way M&M functions]

No point wasting time over it. If you like it, buy it The scoop pictures too don't suggest a huge upgrade.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 00:29   #7071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
One point which I would like to make as far as the new XUV is supposed to come out.

The sunroof equipped XUV has just hit the showrooms, so any other updated XUV is at least 6 months away or maybe an year [going by the way M&M functions]

No point wasting time over it. If you like it, buy it The scoop pictures too don't suggest a huge upgrade.
Thanks Sheel. By the way the showroom guys told me that sunroof version is only limited edition with some 700 odd vehicles and they were offering no deals on it. One of my colleagues got one with not a penny bargained where as on W8 they are giving discounts upto 70k.
Old 12th March 2015, 12:34   #7072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

Out of the two, the VFM option according to me is the XUV.
I agree with Raj. I owned Innova, Scorpio and the diesel rocket Optra and many other small cars before buying XUV 500 W8.
I just completed 5000KM and today handed over it for first service at TVS Kochi.

Innova is more car like in ride but XUV has more pick up and stress free drive with more safety features.
Innova may struggle in bad roads as the bumper sits bit low but XUV may not. Innova does not have ESP and 6 airbags.
Lack of ESP on top variant is a big disappointment. I feel that Toyota is taking Indian customers for a ride.

ESP and roll over mitigation works well in XUV; I do travel from Munnar side to Kochi 5 days a week and I feel more confident in XUV.
Hill Hold and Hill descent functions are very useful in high range ( ghat) roads.
In single line traffic (most of the Kerala roads) you get a commanding view and you can over take vehicles with ease.
In the same route I use to drive my Optra and to match the same timing as XUV clocks I had to drive it very hard.

Single line traffic was stressful for a car when trying to over take and move fast.
When someone switches from sedan/hatch to XUV, it takes bit of a time to get adjusted to its manners, especially roll due to the height.

I am so far happy with XUV.
I think its a perfect vehicle for Indian road conditions.
Tornado is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 13:57   #7073
BHPian

Quote:
I took a little further - 1500kms of ZoomCar and now I own one

Barely crossed 4k now and I can vouch for everything you wrote about it. Except that no niggles yet (touch wood!).
Old 12th March 2015, 19:56   #7074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Thanks Sheel. By the way the showroom guys told me that sunroof version is only limited edition with some 700 odd vehicles and they were offering no deals on it. One of my colleagues got one with not a penny bargained where as on W8 they are giving discounts upto 70k.
I asked today and was told of 35k discount only on XUV. Can you please explain how you managed 70k in discounts.
Also someone told me today Mahindra is launching a new version of XUV, W10 with power seats and sun roof. Dont know how accurate is this information though. Now I am in the same situation as you, not sure whether i should buy a FWD W8 now or wait for the facelift/W10 model and then decide!
Old 12th March 2015, 22:59   #7075
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruv45in View Post
I asked today and was told of 35k discount only on XUV.
In which city are you checking the rates? Here in Bangalore the rate for W8 FWD is quoted around 17.7 lac on road in dealer website. However, they are quoting it around 17.00 lac on enquring.

Also, the special edition XUV with sun roof and electric seats is launched. Link
Old 12th March 2015, 23:06   #7076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
In which city are you checking the rates? Here in Bangalore the rate for W8 FWD is quoted around 17.7 lac on road in dealer website. However, they are quoting it around 17.00 lac on enquring.

Also, the special edition XUV with sun roof and electric seats is launched. Link

I have enquired in Punjab, Haryana and HP and almost all of them offering the March discount as fixed by Mahindra ~35k.
I know the Xclusive version is launched and all 700 are sold out by now (as informed by the showroom guys). But this news of a newer model W10 is something I heard today from a source. Maybe Mahindra was testing the sun roof with the Xclusive version before offering it full time with a few other improvements?
Old 12th March 2015, 23:56   #7077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I agree with Raj. I owned Innova, Scorpio and the diesel rocket Optra and many other small cars before buying XUV 500 W8.
I just completed 5000KM and today handed over it for first service at TVS Kochi.

Innova is more car like in ride but XUV has more pick up and stress free drive with more safety features.
Innova may struggle in bad roads as the bumper sits bit low but XUV may not. Innova does not have ESP and 6 airbags.
Lack of ESP on top variant is a big disappointment. I feel that Toyota is taking Indian customers for a ride.

ESP and roll over mitigation works well in XUV; I do travel from Munnar side to Kochi 5 days a week and I feel more confident in XUV.
Hill Hold and Hill descent functions are very useful in high range ( ghat) roads.
In single line traffic (most of the Kerala roads) you get a commanding view and you can over take vehicles with ease.
In the same route I use to drive my Optra and to match the same timing as XUV clocks I had to drive it very hard.

Single line traffic was stressful for a car when trying to over take and move fast.
When someone switches from sedan/hatch to XUV, it takes bit of a time to get adjusted to its manners, especially roll due to the height.

I am so far happy with XUV.
I think its a perfect vehicle for Indian road conditions.
Need some feedback on the quality of service at Chrome motors on Hosur road in Bangalore

I have had 2 scorpios over 4 years (160K km), innova 2yrs (80K km), now xuv w4 for 1 year (40K km).

Had gone to buy a scorpio but wife decided the XUV is a better deal with features and twin air bags.

What I miss in the XUV is the space in innova as Most of my travel is around 5 to 7 ppl with good luggage. (My kids dont like to sit in the last row of XUV where as in the Innova it was not an issue.) Low cost of maintenance. Reliable service and a no nonsense approach. The service advisor actually knows how to check for problems. In most Mahindra service centers, you will find the SA is just a person who takes in the vehicle for service and the staff in different departments have to help in finding out what is the problem. These are the buggers who actually spoil the ownership experience.

What I mis from my scorpio days is The W4 is not and SUV. Just a car draped as a SUV.

What I like in the XUV is the grunt force and easy to drive on higways. Handles "almost" as good as innova. The 6th gear and high end top speed. Great braking. On one of my favorite stretches on NH 7 between karur - vedasandur, had a good clean drive at speeds around 140 to 160 with another driver in a Toyota corolla leading in the front. The innova would never give that sort of confidence with its small tyres and brakes. Doesnt roll like the scorpio. That was the day I actually started liking the XUV.
Super spacious middle row. Once wife starts sleeping, she doesnt wakeup unless the kids start fighting over the last row seat choice.

Wishlist for XUV
Make the middle row movable. Atleast the rear row will be more usable.
Get better trained service advisors across all service centers.
Get the spare parts cost down
Get the cost of W8 AWD down and give it a low ratio 4 wheel drive
balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 00:52   #7078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruv45in View Post
I asked today and was told of 35k discount only on XUV. Can you please explain how you managed 70k in discounts.
Also someone told me today Mahindra is launching a new version of XUV, W10 with power seats and sun roof. Dont know how accurate is this information though. Now I am in the same situation as you, not sure whether i should buy a FWD W8 now or wait for the facelift/W10 model and then decide!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

XUV W8 is about 17.43 on road in Bangalore as per my last inquiry a week back. Dealer is giving free insurance, corp discount plus some more minor discounts. Price i was offered was 16.77 on road. PLus I am bargaining for free accessories like rear cam, foot board.

I saw the limited edition. Its about 18.1 on road here and no discounts at all since only limited no of cars are being manufactured.
Old 16th March 2015, 10:30   #7079
BHPian

I am getting 19,500 rupees cash discount for XUV5OO W8 in Vellore (TN). Could anyone from Chennai let me know the offers and discounts for W8 variant?

Also what are the must have accessories apart from reverse camera, floor mats, sun film, body cover?

Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 16th March 2015, 14:45   #7080
BHPian

I'd say that the reverse camera and floor mats are a must have. The floor gets very dirty and is very difficult to clean if a mat is not present. I got both of them for free due to some hard bargaining and other factors. Of course, this was around two years ago, in Bangalore. You can ask the dealer, what's to lose?
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks