Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2015, 22:41   #7096
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

A XUV 500 Refresh is in the Offing , Expected Launch April - May 2015.
Expected Changes Included but not contained to
- Modified Front Bumpers and Head Lamps with DRLs
- Infotainment major upgrade...
This what I have learned from unconfirmed media resources as of now
prithvi_seln is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 22:56   #7097
BHPian

Yesterday I took a test drive of XUV 5OO. XUV is fun to drive and handles very nicely. It crossed 80 without me even realizing. Handled bad road well and I enjoyed the car like handling.

However, the interiors were a big let down. May be the interiors are alright for a sub 15 L vehicle but with W8 reaching almost 17 L on road the interiors deserve a better treatment. The plastics are too hard and the faux wood center console didn't impress me much. Hopefully Mahindra will address these in the new version.

Last edited by Adi_k : 23rd March 2015 at 22:56. Reason: Formatting
Old 24th March 2015, 09:26   #7098
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithvi_seln View Post
To be honest, present one is good as well. Only if updates were available & maps were as good as Google Maps.

__________________________________________________ ___________

I have a S10 4WD which has the same infotainment system as the XUV (I believe) I wish to know, is there a re-trace route option in it?

Like, someone is navigating me through a series of back-roads at night & I got to drop him/her & drive back. Is there a option to go back via the same route?
Old 24th March 2015, 14:38   #7099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithvi_seln View Post
A XUV 500 Refresh is in the Offing , Expected Launch April - May 2015.
Expected Changes Included but not contained to
- Modified Front Bumpers and Head Lamps with DRLs
This what I have learned from unconfirmed media resources as of now
Man, now you are posting this after I booked and about to take delivery in few days . Hopefully the infotainment is not as big an upgrade since everything else seems more cosmetic which I can live with without having regretting booking earlier.
Old 24th March 2015, 16:30   #7100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Man, now you are posting this after I booked and about to take delivery in few days . Hopefully the infotainment is not as big an upgrade since everything else seems more cosmetic which I can live with without having regretting booking earlier.
Apart from the above even a new dash is expected and yes infotainment can be inspired from Rexton and should be much better than below average ones in current XUVs.

There can be few added features, though nothing is confirmed yet, sun roof and power seats will be continued from xclusive edition I feel so.

May launch is not yet confirmed as when it is with Mahindra it can extend till year end. So its up to you to analyse everything and continue with the current booking or cancel it and wait for the the facelift XUV.
Old 24th March 2015, 16:46   #7101
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
To be honest, present one is good as well. Only if updates were available & maps were as good as Google Maps.
I have not seen the Scorpio one in detail. The XUV one hasn't really changed much in last 3 years. They added the Help videos, changed the splash screen and modified the bluetooth pairing interface, but that's about it. Yes, at a gross level the infotainment system is quite good and there are no glaring issues. But, its far from perfect. If I sit down for an hour and jot down my observations, I am pretty sure I can come out with a list of 20-25 problems and would-have-been-nice-if-it-could-have.
Attention to detail and how the touchscreen, the waterfall console buttons and the steering controls integrate leave a lot to be desired. e.g. while listening to FM, you can not go to the next channel by using any of the buttons on the waterfall console or steering. You HAVE to use the touch screen.

Quote:
I have a S10 4WD ....
Oh, you picked up the new Scorp? Congratulations! Sorry, I seemed to have missed that update.

Quote:
...which has the same infotainment system as the XUV (I believe) I wish to know, is there a re-trace route option in it?
Like, someone is navigating me through a series of back-roads at night & I got to drop him/her & drive back. Is there a option to go back via the same route?
Unfortunately no. The MMI in XUV is just very basic. The outdated touchscreen (I believe its resistive and not capacitive) which does not understand multi-touch compounds the problems as there are no physical buttons (besides the one used to turn on the navigation) with which you can control the navigation system. You need a brilliant touchscreen if you want to have 100% functionality using touch without using any physical controls and the one used in the Nippon unit is far from it. Try to swipe the map or try to enter a route with via-points like "Mumbai - Panchgani - Mahad" and you struggle big time. There is a option to save a route and you can view the saved route later (I believe so, need to recheck), but you can not get the saved file out of the system to share with somebody else. Similarly you can not import a route file given by somebody else so that you can follow the route.

Last edited by SDP : 24th March 2015 at 16:49.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 17:08   #7102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Attention to detail and how the touchscreen, the waterfall console buttons and the steering controls integrate leave a lot to be desired. e.g. while listening to FM, you can not go to the next channel by using any of the buttons on the waterfall console or steering. You HAVE to use the touch screen.
This is my single biggest grouse with the entertainment system. It's such a counter intuitive design - having steering mounted buttons which don't change the channel. I mean, who seeks FM channels 0.05 MHz at a time?? Changing the channels using the touchscreen is also a tad dangerous because it requires taking one's eyes off the road. It's not easy landing your finger on the exact channel in a bouncing car either! Quality of the touch screen and the sound quality also leave a lot to be desired. I wish the HU could be changed with a decent aftermarket one, but unfortunately the "split" design (buttons & screen separate) doesn't allow this.
Old 25th March 2015, 00:17   #7103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
May launch is not yet confirmed as when it is with Mahindra it can extend till year end. So its up to you to analyse everything and continue with the current booking or cancel it and wait for the the facelift XUV.
Problem is that I have gone too far now since I have sold my earlier car, down payment done and loan approved. Now if I cancel booking I need to take bus to work everyday for god knows how many months. I have a 2nd car which my wife uses for commute. Plus all the excitement at home of the new car is going to fizzle out. Given all the uncertainly with launch I am going ahead with delivery since I anyways like the current XUV as well with not many glaring issues. As long as they don't launch it next month, I am fine .
Old 25th March 2015, 07:46   #7104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Oh, you picked up the new Scorp? Congratulations! Sorry, I seemed to have missed that update.
Here it is. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...o-s10-4x4.html

No retrace option gets a big thumbs down from me. The Yeti's screen response is albeit the same, not much difference. It is a tad more sensitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
This is my single biggest grouse with the entertainment system. It's such a counter intuitive design - having steering mounted buttons which don't change the channel. I mean, who seeks FM channels 0.05 MHz at a time??
Rest assured, it has been taken care of in the Scorpio's unit. I can change channels via the steering mounted audio control.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 09:38   #7105
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ One additional feature I liked in new Scorpio's infotainment system compared to XUV's was the tyre pressure indication.

For XUV it is only displayed when there is low pressure of high temperature, else we have to rely on Bluesense App on a synced mobile. I guess, this too like the steering mounted controls for FM channel change can be done by a software update.

Understandably, RM gave a blank expression when I mentioned the above mentioned irritants during service while I was checking for software update.
Old 26th March 2015, 14:40   #7106
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
^^ One additional feature I liked in new Scorpio's infotainment system compared to XUV's was the tyre pressure indication.
Tire pressure as well as tire temperature, both the units are displayed.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 23:03   #7107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
The invoice value is 16.8 lacs on road after free insurance and corp discount. In addition to that I told them not to give me insurance as I am getting better rates outside and it will save me another 6-7K. PLus its as much as you can bargain on accessory freebies . Its march end.

All dealers are being very tight lipped about new XUV. I was also waiting but given no news I just went ahead and booked as i was losing patience. Given the new XUV doesnt have lot of upgrades and seems more cosmetic in nature. Dealers do mention that there is XUV300 coming which is the smaller SUV, probably the sub 4m one.
March madness is when you should buy any vehicle. The dealers will be trying to close sales promising what ever that comes to their mouth. Especially if they have stocck in hand and have to clear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
For my hatchback and sedan vehicles which i owned , i used to do alignment at every 5000kms.
I do at 5K km but havent done alignment for the last 10K km as have been traveling frequently. The rear tires have taken quite a beating. Have to get it done tomorrow at madhus. Sireesh Auto alignment is fit for nothing. For my type of roads and driving, at least 3 alignment checks per 10K is required.

It is March 26th and exactly an year and 42K km of XUV W4 ownership. With not much electronics to worry about, the vehicle as such has been headache free but for the really stupid sireesh service center.

If you have to wait for another vehicle, then suggest you wait for the renault lodgy, compare its drivability and ride quality with the XUV / Innova and then decide. If at all you have to opt for the W8, it should be for the safety features rather than the electronics. With any new model of Mahindra, you should give atleast 3 years for the product to evolve. With the expected XUV upgrade, give it atleast a year to evolve.

Has anyboddy used Chrome service centers in Bangalore?

Regards
Bala
Old 30th March 2015, 09:54   #7108

Hello All. Been driving a W8 for the last 6 months. Just wanted to pick your brains on the start stop feature. Do you recommend it be used? Does it cause more harm than good? And what is the harm, if any?
Old 30th March 2015, 10:45   #7109
BHPian

I noticed the sticker on the car which mentions the color dosent say opulent purple. It says purple lake soil. And at times I have felt the new purple xuv's felt more metallic compared to my 3 yr old beast. I know age catches up, but still the purple paint looked a little flat to me right from the initial days.

So all purple XUV owners, what does the sticker on your car say. It is located on the right side third row glass exterior. Is it the same for all or have Mahindra changed the purple color for the later batches.

FundaG
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-wp_20150328_028.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-wp_20150328_012.jpg  

Old 30th March 2015, 11:29   #7110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
Need some feedback on the quality of service at Chrome motors on Hosur road in Bangalore
Hi Balan,

You have put across a nice review, the inputs are helpful for those who are considering innova scorpio and Xuv.
I am not sure about chrome motors; as per one of my friends SKS at Hosur seems to be good, they have a showroom in Bangalore too. As I left Bangalore more than an year back I sent my XUV to TVS Kochi for service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiyer20 View Post
Hello All. Been driving a W8 for the last 6 months. Just wanted to pick your brains on the start stop feature. Do you recommend it be used? Does it cause more harm than good? And what is the harm, if any?
As per my knowledge the turbo requires some time for cooling before switching off the engine. Hence I use to keep engine in idle mode for at-least 40 seconds before switching the engine off. This helps the turbo to be healthy.

So if the vehicle is brand new, its better not to use the start-stop feature for at least first 5000KM. See if the start/stop functions gives you enough time for the turbo to be cool.
Not sure if XUV has some additional mechanism / feature to take care of these aspects.

Experts....please throw some light

Last edited by GTO : 31st March 2015 at 11:13. Reason: Merging back to back posts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks