Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2015, 10:17   #7051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

In fact now a days, I am seeing more XUVs on the road than Scorpio, I think in a couple of years the sales of XUV will bemore than Scorpio.

If they could bring in the XUV features on a Scorpio and position it on par with Innova @ around 20 lacs OTR, then Mahindra can crack the MUC segment too. WHat they could not do with the Xylo, can be done with XUV's features
Old 6th March 2015, 11:30   #7052
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
In fact now a days, I am seeing more XUVs on the road than Scorpio, I think in a couple of years the sales of XUV will bemore than Scorpio.
But the monthly sales figure say otherwise, every month. I believe every month, the Scorpio has outsold the XUV.

I must say, if you compare the VLX/S10's ratio with W6 and maybe W8, then the ratio might get skewed in favor of the XUV.

I would like to know the AWD's ratio wrt to 4WD Scorpio ratio.

Also, at your place, people might be lapping up the XUV & giving a miss to the Scorpio. The new one hasn't really gone well with everyone, but is slowly & steadily picking up pace.

And as long as customers are retained with Mahindra, they should be a happy lot.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 14:52   #7053
BHPian

Hi friends,

After driving my XUV for six months to approx 5000 kms only one issue I am facing with it. In no traffic condition on highways I feel sleepy while driving it, I never faced this issue with my Lancer
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 21:39   #7054
BHPian

Have booked Moondust Silver XUV w6 after lots of deliberation and going through various threads on the beast. Ultimately, it was heart over mind that did the trick...as always.

Am getting the beast for 14,29 l on road with free accessories (rear bumper guard, side steps and footmats). I am not going for alloy change but should I go for tyre change to ATs? if yes, which ones. Any other accessories that are recommended. Am thinking of gear lock as an additional security measure and side strips to further beautify the side profile.
Old 9th March 2015, 09:16   #7055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-riedAway View Post
Am getting the beast for 14,29 l on road with free accessories (rear bumper guard, side steps and footmats). I am not going for alloy change but should I go for tyre change to ATs? if yes, which ones. Any other accessories that are recommended. Am thinking of gear lock as an additional security measure and side strips to further beautify the side profile.
Congrats on your purchase. When is the delivery?

I dont see a need to go for All-Terrain (AT) tyres for an XUV W6. I think you are fine with stock tyres. IF at all you need to upgrade, please shit to michelin of the same size.

Since W6 would be primarily almost 100% on Tarmac, I dont see the need for AT Tyres.
Old 9th March 2015, 09:20   #7056
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Congratulations on your decision, I took the same model and colour 6months back.

Accessories from showroom.

1) Speed rim alloy wheels
2) Side Strip
3) Rain Guard
4) Foot Mat

Out of these foot mats and rain guard was provided to me free of cost whereas I paid ₹25000 for 4 alloy wheels in exchange with the old rims.

I don't feel the need of tyre upgrade. The stock ones are doing pretty good.

Accessories from outside.

1) Seat covers
2) Perfume
3) Ganeshji Idol
4) Scuff plates
5) Door protectors
6) Steering cover stitched. (Trust me it gives awesome feel holding it and nice grip too)
Old 9th March 2015, 11:52   #7057
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have booked Moondust Silver XUV w6 after lots of deliberation and going through various threads on the beast. Ultimately, it was heart over mind that did the trick...as always.
Congratulations!

Quote:
...should I go for tyre change to ATs? if yes, which ones. ...
If you get Bridgestones Duellers or Apollo Apterras as stock tyres, I would suggest, don't change the tyres. If you get JKs as stock, you can look at Michelin Latitude Tour HP or Yokohama Geolanders.
Old 9th March 2015, 12:50   #7058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
If you get JKs as stock, you can look at Michelin Latitude Tour HP or Yokohama Geolanders.
Hi Sanjay. Do you know the market price for these two tyres? And did you change your tyres if so then which one did you go for?
Old 9th March 2015, 13:58   #7059
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Hi Sanjay. Do you know the market price for these two tyres? And did you change your tyres if so then which one did you go for?
I was quoted 15K per tyre for Michelin Latitude Tour HP. That's what I am going ahead with in next few days. No idea about current price of Yoko Geolanders.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 15:46   #7060
Senior - BHPian

Do post pics after you have installed them, need to see how they look
Old 9th March 2015, 17:28   #7061
Team-BHP Support

To summarize my 750 kms driving experience with the XUV500: "I'm a fan!!"

I had an aunt and uncle visiting me for the weekend. The plan was to drive to Coorg. With 5 adults including me both my Altis and Ecosport were a tight fit. With my driving position (reclined back rest and pushed back seat), rear seat legroom was compromised and both cars were not good at accommodating 3 abreast. Discussed with dad option of Zoom and I figured XUV would be best bet. Booked an XUV for 4 days. Friday involved city driving and we left for Coorg on Saturday and returned on Monday.

Now I've done a TD of XUV before from the showroom and came away unimpressed. I didn't like the clutch, gearshifts, and relatively crude finish vs my other 2 cars (Altis and Ecosport) which were much more polished.

City driving the first day left me unimpressed again with long travel clutch, funny gear shifts and stiffer ride at slow speeds. This all took a complete U-turn and my earlier opinion got tossed out the window on the second day on our drive to Coorg.

First thing is the space. My driving position is usually 2-4 clicks ahead of the rear most position. Then the seat back is reclined to a very relaxed position. With this front seat position forget sitting, I cannot even enter the rear seat of my Ecosport or Altis. In the XUV I got in and had couple of inches of to spare before my knees touched the front seats. My uncle was sitting in passenger seat and being short he pulled the seat forward. Even with the seat pulled ahead he couldn't reach the far end of the foot well. My dad behind him had his legs stretched out. Dad reclined the rear seats and was comfortably asleep for more than half the journey. Both dad and uncle sat on the front seat in turns and commented it's more comfy than a Sofa at home with superb support. This made the drive that much more relaxed. No struggle for legroom and no problems with seat width. 3 abreast with no rubbing shoulders.

The 2 biggest aspects about the XUV that left me very impressed were the mHawk engine and the chasis setup. Problem is when you go for a showroom test drive for 2-3 kms you can never gauge the engine characteristics fully. What strikes you first is the long travel clutch, clunky second gear and the stiff ride quality at slow speeds. These completely put you off. The plastics inside and the gaudy interiors don't help matters, especially when you're coming from a Corolla which is understated and built to perfection on the inside.

Only when you take it over a longer distance does the versatility of the motor come into light. The mHawk engine pulls from virtually any gear at any speed. I was in third climbing up to Madikeri with 5 adults and 4 suitcases. Even when slowing down for a turn, there was never a need to downshift to second unless I was almost coming to a halt. The engine would just pull without a shudder. I never needed first gear over speed breakers or when climbing up the steep incline to the hotel. In front of me coincidentally was a Zoomcar Ecosport and he was struggling to make the same climb in 1st gear. I had driven the Jetta 2.0 TDI with 140PS just 2 weeks earlier and loved the torque and explosive mid range but the mHawk 2.2L similar 140PS left me even more impressed. It may not be fair to compare the 2 but considering displacement delta is only 200cc and power output is similar, I don't think it's out of place. The Jetta was fun to downshift from 6 or 5th to 4th or 3rd and then shoot past slow traffic. The engine being more rev happy and mid range being explosive till redline. On the other hand, the mHawk never even needed that downshift. If you're in 6th gear and slow down to 80 or 90, the Jetta needs to be in 4th or 5th to overtake cleanly. In the XUV you can remain in 6th and a prod on the gas pedal gets you past that slower moving vehicle. The 6th gear is so useful that it pulls from 80kmph onwards. Moreover, 100kph in 6th gear results in the motor spinning just below 2,000rpm. The XUV engine barely needs to be revved beyond 3,000 rpm, it can pull from 1,000rpm onwards without complain. The torque is so strong that a quick upshift from first to second results in torque steer and some wheel spin. I never expected that in a Mahindra! In short, the engine and gearbox are perfectly tuned for our driving conditions.

On the first day when I was using the XUV in town, I did notice that the ride was on the stiffer side. Still coming from an Ecosport this was nowhere as bad. Out on the highway the stiff ride is a boon as it results in exceptional stability. Zoom cars are restricted to 125kmph and I was having a tough time maintaining 110kmph to be on safe side. 6th gear at around 2,000rpm and this good stability means it always felt slower till I looked down at the speedo. There was no oscillations or excessive roll when cornering, the XUV was always composed. A couple of months back I had driven a Fortuner to Coimbatore. In comparison, the fortuner was bumpy, had a lot of roll and you could feel the weight shift from side to side when changing lanes. Every minute behind the wheel was an unhappy one in the Fortuner compared to the XUV. The roads up to Madikeri are full of twisties and with not a lot of hairpin bends. This means you can maintain decent cornering speeds if the vehicle allows you to. I was merrily pushing the XUV into the corners and enjoying it. Probably as much as I would be pushing my Ecosport or Altis. For a SUV of this size, it was a lot of fun to drive it like this. The advantages of a monocoque vs ladder on frame were most apparent here. You also don't get any scuttle shake typical of ladder frame chasis and quite prominent on the Safari. Basically, I loved the car like dynamics in terms of ride and even handling. Ofcourse, the ride is stiff and you need to slow down on bad patches. It's no Safari when it comes to obliterating bad roads and the ride/handling is far off from the Duster. That said, the Duster is the best but it could never carry 5 people with the level of comfort the XUV did.

After this long drive I have new found respect for the XUV. It still needs to be better built and it has a lot of niggles but I would pick this over the nearly twice as expensive Fortuner any day for my usage.

And as for the question which now must be on everyone's minds after reading this . This probably won't replace an Altis right now but it did get my dad very interested, especially considering that it's a proper upgrade from the Altis in terms of space and features plus the VFM tag of getting a full size loaded with features SUV for less than 20L. The facelifted XUV with the redesigned front end and mechanical improvements should be worth the wait. If they add the 6 speed Aisin Warner automatic transmission then the XUV will be a very formidable replacement. The only thing that will be missed is going to be the bullet proof reliability of the Corolla. Right now no plans till 2016 but this drive puts the XUV in the short list.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 9th March 2015 at 17:32.
Vid6639 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 22:02   #7062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
After this long drive I have new found respect for the XUV. It still needs to be better built and it has a lot of niggles but I would pick this over the nearly twice as expensive Fortuner any day for my usage.

The only thing that will be missed is going to be the bullet proof reliability of the Corolla. Right now no plans till 2016 but this drive puts the XUV in the short list.
Great summary and impressive descriptions. Many others say the same about the Fortuner, what you described. Very surprising that a INR 30L SUV has such comments.

I also see that you've mentioned, 'lot of niggles'. Can you describe a few for us. Also what is your opinion of XUV versus 'bullet proof' reliability of a TOYOTA - Innova in comparison. I do understand that SUV v/s MUV is not a straight forward comparison, but you did 'compare' SUV versus a luxury sedan, hence asking.

I knew many who were debating a lot between XUV & Innova as their 1st 'big car', transitioning from a sedan. The spilt was equal, one half went for the XUV & the other half for the Innova. Both groups that I know are very happy with respective choices. XUV gives great engine power & all the fancy gadgets at a very 'affordable' price range. Innova on the other hand, has comparatively 'bland interiors' and does not give all the fancy gadets present in the XUV for roughly similar price range (INR 16L - 18L +-), but it does give bullet proof TOYOTA reliability.
Old 9th March 2015, 22:21   #7063
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
I also see that you've mentioned, 'lot of niggles'. Can you describe a few for us. Also what is your opinion of XUV versus 'bullet proof' reliability of a TOYOTA - Innova in comparison. I do understand that SUV v/s MUV is not a straight forward comparison, but you did 'compare' SUV versus a luxury sedan, hence asking.
LOL. Unfortunately I cannot describe the XUV niggles here but there is a dedicated thread just for the niggles:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...solutions.html

Be warned that it's 200 pages long

Well yes Innova comparison is inevitable. If you need a chauffeur driven comfortable car from A to B then Innova is pretty much the default choice. The bullet proof gives a hassle free ownership which is of prime importance to many who just don't want to deal with small niggles or cant bear multiple visits in between service intervals for fixing some small issues. For them reliability trumps handling, performance and fun to drive.

If the trip I did was in an Innova instead of XUV, the passengers might have been equally comfortable but I would have been bored the minute we hit the highway. The XUV kept the passengers more than happy but also kept the driver engaged. This is in essence the difference between the XUV and Innova.

Moreover the Innova is at best good for relaxed 100-110kmph cruising. After that the lack of 6th gear, short gear ratios and buzzy engine just make it really lacklustre on the highway.

The cars with 6th gear like the XUV, Jetta, Duster 110, new Corolla, Verna, Elite i20 and a few more have a huge advantage on the highway when it comes to relaxed cruising as well as highway. I barely finished a tank from Bangalore to Madikeri and back in the XUV covering close to 750kms.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 23:32   #7064
BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Even I took the XUV for my Ooty trip from Zoom, pick up place was Hotel Grand Mercure Koramangala.
It was a brand new car with just 1300 Kms on odo. Now coming to the car, It is an effortless cruiser but the long gearshift throws are a pain and I was somewhat getting tired too soon. May be I am a sedan guy but those 350 kms weren't fatigue free as people claim with SUVs.

My takeaway is that it is still far from a world-class product, not a good comparison but my i20 and Verna feels tighter and does things with precision.

Last edited by sudeep.pandya : 9th March 2015 at 23:39.
sudeep.pandya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 00:00   #7065
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
My takeaway is that it is still far from a world-class product, not a good comparison but my i20 and Verna feels tighter and does things with precision.
Well that's true. You're driving 2 of the most refined butter smooth cars out there. The light clutch and butter smooth effortless gear shifts of the i20 and Verna will not come close to the XUV.

You need to drive cars like Fortuner, Safari storme, Scorpio, Innova to really feel why the XUV is better. My Altis has a very heavy clutch and so did my Figo and now Ecosport so that wasn't too bad for me. Gears were notchy but once I got used to them it was quite easy. Way better than the Fortuner/Innova any day.

Another observation was the gear lever position. It's set backwards. For short drivers who keep the seat ahead they will find that gear shifts are really awkward and close to them. For me it was perfect since as I mentioned my seat position is quite far back.

Most Viewed