Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2014, 13:32   #5566
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
On a closing note, I have a gut feeling that 90% of the thanks received by his post above would be from engineers.

I agree with you buddy, and as you mentioned being Engineer's we do not apply a single thing into our day to day life and also if you ask an engineer what is OHM's law I am double sure he will think twice before answering.

So IMO more than theory, what you see or experience will remain in your head for longer duration.

And we are lucky to have members like Ravi sir who help fellow BHPians understand more about machines and how to get involved with your cars. I am grateful to be part of this community

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th February 2014 at 20:48. Reason: Only two smileys per post please
fusionbang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 11:03   #5567
BHPian

Hello All,

I test-drove the XUV yesterday and I was blown away by it. Btw, my current car is a civic. The only negative was that the NVH was more in the XUV than in my civic which I think is due to the diesel engine. The only thing preventing me from going ahead and making a purchase is the unknown quality of the electronics and other niggles. I have gone through the multiple threads on the forum and I wanted to check if these niggles have been fixed for the most part.

For eg: I had heard that the audio quality was not good but my personal experience was that the speakers in the XUV were ok. Similarly I had read that the clutch was hard and that the first/second gears were notchy; I was looking out for these issues but couldnt find them in yesterday's TD. I checked with the service advisor and he mentioned that the electrical issues had been sorted out last year.

Btw, I have seen the Aria (solid vehicle but horrendous sales experience), the Innova (too expensive), Terrano (too small and feels like a downgrade). The Endeavour, Fortuner, Santa Fe, Rexton, are way beyond my price range.

So what does the forum recommend? Go ahead with the purchase of the XUV.

Last edited by hajaar : 5th February 2014 at 11:04.
Old 5th February 2014, 11:40   #5568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
For eg: I had heard that the audio quality was not good but my personal experience was that the speakers in the XUV were ok. Similarly I had read that the clutch was hard and that the first/second gears were notchy; I was looking out for these issues but couldnt find them in yesterday's TD. I checked with the service advisor and he mentioned that the electrical issues had been sorted out last year.
I still find my audio quality, pretty mediocre. I however manage to circumvent it by using my phone to play my songs.

There are no major electrical issues, apart from the occasional bulb fuse. I haven't faced anything as yet.

One major issue is braking. I suggest you get 'acquainted' with the braking distance. It could be scary at time.
Old 5th February 2014, 13:22   #5569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

I test-drove the XUV yesterday and I was blown away by it. Btw, my current car is a civic. The only negative was that the NVH was more in the XUV than in my civic which I think is due to the diesel engine. The only thing preventing me from going ahead and making a purchase is the unknown quality of the electronics and other niggles. I have gone through the multiple threads on the forum and I wanted to check if these niggles have been fixed for the most part.

Btw, I have seen the Aria (solid vehicle but horrendous sales experience), the Innova (too expensive), Terrano (too small and feels like a downgrade). The Endeavour, Fortuner, Santa Fe, Rexton, are way beyond my price range.

If you fear the electricals & related niggles, you can go for the W4 (base) variant, which has lesser of those & probably would also mean peace of mind till the time you get to understand the vehicle better.

Old 5th February 2014, 13:42   #5570
BHPian

@cardeep: thanks for the input. :-)

Just wanted to call out that one of the reasons I love the xuv (other than its drive-ability) are the amount of gizmos and the safety features that I get on the W8 variant.
hajaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 16:05   #5571
Distinguished - BHPian

The XUV 500 Diesel Hybrid unveiled at the Auto Expo.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-bftayr7ciaasoj9.jpg-large.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-bfsrjfbcaaabb4s.jpg-large.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-mahindaxuv500hybridsidecutawaydetaillive1024x682.jpg

SOURCE - Twitterverse

Gallery and details - http://indianautosblog.com/2014/02/m...-hybrid-116170
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 16:49   #5572
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Most of the niggles seem to have been sorted out and latest buyers seem to be fairly satisfied. I test drove the XUV and the only complaint I had other than the overtly in your face "jeans below underwear elastic, cap turned sideways, & thick gold chain" styling was the ride was very choppy, kind of like a boat in rough waters. Not bone jarring but choppy. But if you look at the value it offers, and if you are okay with the ride, it is worth it.

In my case, I wanted 4x4 or AWD and the AWD version is almost 18 lakhs on the road. I didn't feel comfortable buying a Mahindra product in this price range, due the bad experience with my Scorpio Mhawk 4x4.
Old 5th February 2014, 19:16   #5573
Senior - BHPian

XUV hybrid will come with Sunroof too below are the specs of hybrid:

Engine:
1.5l 3 Cylinder engine
73.5 kW @ 3500-3750 rpm
200 Nm torque @ 1800-3000 rpm
Old 5th February 2014, 22:47   #5574
BHPian

I got the delivery of my XUV W6 couple of days back and I am really really thrilled to finally own it!! I will write a detailed review of my delivery experience and my first few moments with XUV little later when I get time. In the meanwhile, I had couple of questions, specially for folks who have taken delivery recently -

1. Is there a separate warranty card/paper for the tyres (mine are Bridgestone Dueler H/T) on similar lines as the battery? My dealer (Sireesh Auto Bangalore) is insisting that there is no such separate warranty for the tyre and it's covered broadly under vehicle warranty itself without any specific mention of the same. I've asked him to give me a formal written reply on this but wanted to check what others' have been told by their dealers.

2. The stone-guard (below the engine bay) is made of plastic. I remember reading that M&M have changed the stone-guard to a metal one later as part of their upliftment process though it was made of plastic in older XUVs. Mine is Jan 2014 model, so should I be getting the metal stone-guard instead?
Old 6th February 2014, 10:57   #5575
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_a_u_r_a_b_h View Post
I got the delivery of my XUV W6 couple of days back
Congratulations and best wishes, s_a_u_r_a_b_h.

Quote:
1. Is there a separate warranty card/paper for the tyres (mine are Bridgestone Dueler H/T) on similar lines as the battery?
No. My XUV500's tyres are of JK Elanzo and no warranty card for them too. When I bought my Linea in Oct 2009, there was no warranty card for tyres.

Quote:
2. The stone-guard (below the engine bay) is made of plastic.
Even my XUV500 W8 FWD's [Nov 2013] stone-guard is of plastic only.
  (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 12:09   #5576
BHPian

Best ever from a tankful!! The last light had not started blinking but didn't want to push my luck.

Was snapped after a Bangalore - Chennai trip. They highway mileage was 18 and the in city mileage was around 13 - as per the MID.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20140206_094903.jpg  

aajohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 17:34   #5577
J.Ravi

My Purple Cheetah Visits Her Birth-Place

Today, my Purple Cheetah visited her birth-place at Chakan.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_4521.jpg

I will write more about the Mahindra Chakan plant visit in my proposed XUV500 ownership thread.
  (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 17:59   #5578
BHPian

Re: My Purple Cheetah Visits Her Birth-Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Today, my Purple Cheetah visited her birth-place. will write more about the Mahindra Chakan plant visit in my proposed XUV500 ownership thread.
That would be a special visit for both you and your cheetah. Was it an unplanned visit? Eagerly waiting for your ownership thread.
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 18:07   #5579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Even my XUV500 W8 FWD's [Nov 2013] stone-guard is of plastic only.
IIRC, after the 27% Excise duty rule came into effect, M&M changed the Metal stone-guard from steel to plastic and made it 10mm lower to escape the additional 3% excise.

Quote:
Today, my Purple Cheetah visited her birth-place at Chakan...
I will write more about the Mahindra Chakan plant visit in my proposed XUV500 ownership thread.
Wow! An amazing start to an ownership review! Eagerly waiting for it!
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 20:26   #5580
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
IIRC, after the 27% Excise duty rule came into effect, M&M changed the Metal stone-guard from steel to plastic and made it 10mm lower to escape the additional 3% excise.
Stone-guard was always made of plastic and is still plastic.

Last edited by SDP : 8th February 2014 at 20:27.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks