Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2014, 10:39   #5416
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I am planning to book a XUV500 W8 soon. I have never had an experience with a diesel car, so I was a bit apprehensive of the fact that my running is quite low to warrant the need for a diesel car. My monthly running would be an average of 1000 kms over average and bad roads. With such low usage, I have learnt from various sources that a petrol car makes more sense, however the XUV500 has been a love-at-first-sight car for me.
You running is over bad roads. Plus 1000 kms per month is decent mileage to justify a diesel car. I would pick a diesel SUV.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 13:23   #5417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to book a XUV500 W8 soon. I have never had an experience with a diesel car, so I was a bit apprehensive of
Gurus please tell me if it makes sense to buy a diesel car with such running.
For a running of 1000 kms per month or 12000 kms per year, it doesn't make sense to get a deisel car. Best to go for petrol. Diesel price is already pushing 58 Rs. per liter. Maintenance costs are much higher for deisel cars.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 14:11   #5418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
...All in all,i am happy with the work done. Total damage being 11.5K...
Seems a bit on the higher side. Could you provide the break up please? Was the clutch on a pay basis?

Quote:
I am planning to book a XUV500 W8 soon...My monthly running would be an average of 1000 kms over average and bad roads. With such low usage, I have learnt from various sources that a petrol car makes more sense, however the XUV500 has been a love-at-first-sight car for me...
Your running is definitely low for a diesel. But as rightly said, you live only once! Again, once you buy a car, you will invariably start traveling more, especially when you have a capable and comfortable vehicle at disposal. So my take is, go for it.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 14:14   #5419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gurus please tell me if it makes sense to buy a diesel car with such running. Heart says the XUV500 but I am not sure if I should go for a petrol car or a diesel car.

M - you haven't mentioned your other requirements ? If ride is the only criteria you can consider smaller SUVs as well which come with petrol variants
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 15:59   #5420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
You running is over bad roads. Plus 1000 kms per month is decent mileage to justify a diesel car. I would pick a diesel SUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
For a running of 1000 kms per month or 12000 kms per year, it doesn't make sense to get a deisel car. Best to go for petrol. Diesel price is already pushing 58 Rs. per liter. Maintenance costs are much higher for deisel cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Seems a bit on the higher side. Could you provide the break up please? Was the clutch on a pay basis?

Your running is definitely low for a diesel. But as rightly said, you live only once! Again, once you buy a car, you will invariably start traveling more, especially when you have a capable and comfortable vehicle at disposal. So my take is, go for it.
If we fall into complications of statistics, we may at times will not even be able to justify why we need a 10-12+ Car/SUV when a lower priced variant/model can has us achieve the same.

Maintenance may be higher in the very long run, but with advent of technology that has come down considerably. With no offence to anyone, how many of us target of keeping the vehichle for 7Y/1L kms +?

The Diesel may make you frown at the beginning but will bring the smiles everytime you refuel.
achopraa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 16:05   #5421
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to book a XUV500 W8 soon. I have never had an experience with a diesel car, so I was a bit apprehensive of the fact that my running is quite low to warrant the need for a diesel car. My monthly running would be an average of 1000 kms over average and bad roads. With such low usage, I have learnt from various sources that a petrol car makes more sense, however the XUV500 has been a love-at-first-sight car for me.

Gurus please tell me if it makes sense to buy a diesel car with such running. Heart says the XUV500 but I am not sure if I should go for a petrol car or a diesel car.

I had a Swift earlier and was in the same frame of mind in 2011. Took the leap and brought the XUV and haven't stopped smiling till now
hallik9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 16:57   #5422
J.Ravi

Mahindra XUV500 App Not Available For Windows Phones

After taking delivery of my XUV500 W8 FWD Opulent Purple on 30 Dec 2013, I completed reading all the manuals supplied by Mahindra with many practical hands-on sessions yesterday. Today, I tried in vain to launch Mahindra XUV500 app in my Nokia Lumia 925 Windows Phone. Later, I learnt that the app is available only for Android phones and not for Windows phones. I called Mahindra helpline and got it confirmed. I was told that my request would be forwarded to the concerned. Although my Windows phone got paired up with my XUV500 W8, I am not in a position to launch the app in my phone to see the vehicle info on my Nokia Lumia 925 screen.

Here is my Purple Cheetah posing with my Blue Bird:

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-wp_20140106_001.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 6th January 2014 at 17:12.
  (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 19:38   #5423
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Reminds me of the situation I was in a few months back. Listen to your heart buddy, you live only once
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
M - you haven't mentioned your other requirements ? If ride is the only criteria you can consider smaller SUVs as well which come with petrol variants
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
I had a Swift earlier and was in the same frame of mind in 2011. Took the leap and brought the XUV and haven't stopped smiling till now
Thank You for all your inputs.

After several discussions and test drives later, my folks still prefer the Honda City. Somehow they have not taken a liking to the XUV500 or for that matter SUV's. I had already pre-booked a City CVT and for the time being it seems I will have to call off my plans to get a XUV500. I will be test driving the City post its launch tomorrow and then come to a conclusion.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 21:12   #5424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont have invoice rightnow so will post details later on. 10.5K is a normal service for 40K kms service. I have seen many posting it here. The reason i was at 11.5K is maybe due addition of new bushes and their labor charges. As for clutch, it was under warranty.
Old 6th January 2014, 23:23   #5425
BHPian

Quote:

Thank You for all your inputs.

After several discussions and test drives later, my folks still prefer the Honda City. Somehow they have not taken a liking to the XUV500 or for that matter SUV's. I had already pre-booked a City CVT and for the time being it seems I will have to call off my plans to get a XUV500. I will be test driving the City post its launch tomorrow and then come to a conclusion.
Honda city is a good choice for your travel requirements. No offence to anyone. I am a big fan of xuv and have been waiting for automatic transmission launch which should happen in couple of months as per my sources in M & M. There might be some cosmetic changes as well. But let us wait and watch to know what is hidden in future.
Old 7th January 2014, 13:23   #5426
Senior - BHPian

IAB have scooped that a Limited Edition XUV500 (with Cherry Red colour inside out) swill soon be launched, with will come with the following:

1. Red body graphics on its sides;
2. Wheel rims & spokes highlighted in Red;
3. Red theme on the front & rear bumpers;
4. Special Edition badge on the boot door;
5. The Red colour will also be extended to interiors on dash & seats.

No changes are expected in the engine mill of the monocoque SUV.

Link to IAB report:

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/01/m...edition-111201
Old 7th January 2014, 22:42   #5427
BHPian

Guys, how comfortable is the driver seat for a tall person (I'm 6'3")?
Old 8th January 2014, 08:02   #5428
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I am 183 cm [6'] tall. I find the driver seat more comfortable than my Linea, perhaps due to the adjustable lumbar support. The seat hugs me when I drive.
  (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 08:33   #5429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
The XUV struggles to fit in a giraffe in it's drivers seat. For the rest of us it's very comfortable indeed. Especially with the adjustable seats and adjustable steering wheel.

Last edited by Mudhalaipatti : 8th January 2014 at 08:34.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 12:15   #5430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay Choudhary View Post
Would like to thank the forum administrators for letting me become a part of this great community.

Thanks to the inputs and experiences shared by all of you about XUV500 beacuse of which I got enough confidence in the vehicle and booked one for myself.

Shall get the delivery on 15th Jan of my personal 'Beast', a Purple coloured, W8 FWD variant . Shall be sharing my experience of the entire process soon
What are the prevailing discounts on this model? I am also going to book one this month. Delaer has offered me 50% off on insurance and Rs. 10,000 of accessories. I am a noob when it comes to buying cars so will appreciate guidance.

Most Viewed