Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2014, 22:34   #5521
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Reverse-cam was about 3500Rs when I got it one and half year back. If at all, it should be cheaper now. Call the bluff and ask them to be reasonable about the accessories... drop the word 'customer-care'. If they don't budge, ask them to give you a printed quote for the accessories or the standard accessories price-list and take it up with customer-care. If nothing works, take the cash discount and go to another dealer for the accessories (after the delivery).

All the best.
Duh! I wish. There is no other dealer in Kochi other than these guys. I spoke to the Relationship manager and he said I can do "something" but "please do not expect much" and they have given the quote in writing. How nice!

The moment they said 10500 I knew it was more of a 'scam' than a cam. Man, I get jittery thinking of taking the XUV outside and ripping the backlight assembly open-up for installing the cam. Attaching a copy of their quote.
Had given the numbers wrong earlier as I wrote it from memory(which is obviously bad one at that).
  1. Chrome at 5 locations 5400
  2. Side Step 14500
  3. Reverse 'S'cam - 10500

Whats even more worse? It is these guys who had the dealership of FIAT when they had launched UNO. I rest my case, Period.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-quote.jpg  

Hrishiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 22:42   #5522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrishiz View Post
Hi Guys,
1. Chrome at 5 Places Rs.5800
2. Side Step - 14500
3. reverse cam - 10500
Congratulations on your new Vehicle.

I paid Rs 8500 for the Side Step and the Reverse Cam came free here in Bangalore. This was last month.

Drive Safe and enjoy the XUV500!
Old 29th January 2014, 00:00   #5523
BHPian

Quote:
  1. Chrome at 5 locations 5400
  2. Side Step 14500
  3. Reverse 'S'cam - 10500
Do you really want the chrome as well as the side step and cam? I ask because you're better off taking the 30,000 rupee discount.

I don't have a reverse cam and the parking sensors on the w8 do the job perfectly. Also, the sidestep is a bit redundant as the car isn't that high. My 85 year old grandma manages to get into the car sans one (I had side steps on my safari and she still needed a stool to get in so I'm just saying.

Just my two paisa of advise.

Aside: my xuv is in the garage after my dad had an accident on the Mumbai pune expressway with a guy on a scooter who darted out and got hit by the car.

The guy survived but my dad had to pay huge 'compensation' to avoid the car being seized. Just got back from a whirlwind of travel and found out, and the details are a bit spotty.
Old 29th January 2014, 06:31   #5524
BHPian

Quote:

Duh! I wish. There is no other dealer in Kochi other than these guys. I spoke to the Relationship manager and he said I can do "something" but "please do not expect much"
I had bought my XUV from TVS Kottayam. Please take the cash discount and get your accessories installed some where else. TVS has ridiculous pricing. Unfortunately I think writing to customer care is going change the pricing. I got my accessories installed from Anant Cars in Bangalore (Rear Guard, Reverse Cam, Door Strips, Scuff plates) for 6K in may last year
aajohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 09:43   #5525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post

Using the GPS is a little tricky initially. Infact most of us would be trying to use it the way we do google maps. You need to understand the way the source, destination, via points etc are set in the navigation and once you get the hang of it, thinks would be really simple and effective. Also in the settings there are options to select the optimum route, shortest distance etc. So would suggest going through the navigation manual. I use it extensively during my trips and use google maps only in case of really crunch situations, which is very rare nowadays.

FundaG
I received my beast one month back, I think the navigation maps needs to be updated. While searching for locations it is not allowing to type completely and disables key pad by allowing only few keys. Looks like the locations are predefined. Do we need to upgrade maps?
Is it done in Service Centers? Is the update chargable? Can we do it by our self?
Old 29th January 2014, 09:49   #5526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
I got my accessories installed from Anant Cars in Bangalore (Rear Guard, Reverse Cam, Door Strips, Scuff plates) for 6K in may last year
That's a really good deal, specially given that you haven't even bought the car from them!! Sireesh Auto Bangalore is quoting - Rear guard (4,500) + Reverse cam (3,500) + Door Strips (2k)+ Scuff plate (805). So total around 11k ! For the reverse cam, I hope your original dealer/ASC doesn't invoke "warranty void" clause or make a fuss during repair should things go wrong (God forbid) since it's not done by them directly.
Old 29th January 2014, 09:53   #5527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
...Aside: my xuv is in the garage after my dad had an accident on the Mumbai pune expressway with a guy on a scooter who darted out and got hit by the car...
Are two-wheelers allowed on the expressway? I guess I read somewhere they are NOT supposed to ride on expressway.
Old 29th January 2014, 09:54   #5528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I don't have a reverse cam and the parking sensors on the w8 do the job perfectly. Also, the sidestep is a bit redundant as the car isn't that high. My 85 year old grandma manages to get into the car sans one (I had side steps on my safari and she still needed a stool to get in so I'm just saying.

Aside: my xuv is in the garage after my dad had an accident on the Mumbai pune expressway with a guy on a scooter who darted out and got hit by the car.
Firstly, I hope no one is badly injured? Ceat ads are very true, 'the roads are filled with idiots', just have to count on luck not to run into one.

My dads' health does not allow him to lift his foot to the level he could get an easy ingress, he is 82, more because of the swollen foot than the age itself.
So I would prefer to have a side step. Reverse cam, is something I could just not avoid as I live right in middle of most chaotic roads in Kochi.

Well, coming to the chrome part it is more of an want than a need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
I had bought my XUV from TVS Kottayam. Please take the cash discount and get your accessories installed some where else. TVS has ridiculous pricing. Unfortunately I think writing to customer care is going change the pricing. I got my accessories installed from Anant Cars in Bangalore (Rear Guard, Reverse Cam, Door Strips, Scuff plates) for 6K in may last year
Talk about monopoly! I am wondering how the service is going to be.

Arriving at a decision to go with XUV500 was not at all easy, I am sure it is the case with most of us (not only with XUV, but for any car for that matter). You see one negative comment, your heart skips a beat, brain would say 'I told you!' and after all the fist war between brain and heart you walk into the showroom to know they loot you and whats even worse? They give you looks as if to say "Dude, you asking for discounts? Seriously?"

Lets hope the XUV will make up for all this. I am almost decided to take just the cash discount.

Just one question guys. I see chrome strips on sale on the ebay, would it be an easy DIY?

Last edited by Hrishiz : 29th January 2014 at 09:57.
Old 29th January 2014, 11:48   #5529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_a_u_r_a_b_h View Post

For the reverse cam, I hope your original dealer/ASC doesn't invoke "warranty void" clause or make a fuss during repair should things go wrong (God forbid) since it's not done by them directly.
I also get it serviced at Anant ;-) so no worries. Had moved to Bangalore last year.
Old 29th January 2014, 12:14   #5530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Are two-wheelers allowed on the expressway? I guess I read somewhere they are NOT supposed to ride on expressway.
Officially two-wheelers are allowed on some parts of the expressway (eg:-Lonavla Stretch). But two wheeler riders have their own rules, so they may appear anywhere on expressway.
MaxTorque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 17:33   #5531
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I would be getting the XUV W8, from TVS motors Kochi.

They seem to be charging me ridiculous amount of money for following accessories. Is it worth going for it just because they are OE?

1. Chrome at 5 Places Rs.5800
2. Side Step - 14500
3. reverse cam - 10500

I am skeptical to take the vehicle outside for fitting reverse cam and stuff, because I am not sure if that would add to niggles to a vehicle which already very eager to throw up one.

They are offering 30000 cash discount or chose accessories worth the same and over pricing the same so as to make the discount nil, very smart I say.

Accessory shop 50meters from the showroom offered me below
1. Side Step - 8500
2. Reverse Cam - Xenos - 1800
3. 3D mat (Original ones,imported ones... Ya right I believe that) - 7000
TVS cochin always charged 10500Rs for the reverse cam. I got it from bangalore ASS for 3500Rs. I still have no idea why they charge more than double for the reverse cam. Had even asked the RM if it was HD for such a price difference .

For the side step I think there are far better 3rd party design options than the one given by mahindra and at lesser costs. The only question is do you actually require the side step. I also planned to install it initially but then dropped the idea as we could manage very well without the side steps. Also fixing the sidestep would mean lesser ground clearance and for bangalore roads with some pretty high humps, it would mean damage to the sidestep in no time.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 21:43   #5532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahesh View Post
In both cases Google Maps on my mobile was better at giving the right directions!
Quote:
I use it extensively during my trips and use google maps only in case of really crunch situations, which is very rare nowadays.

FundaG
I agree that while MMI is reasonably accurate, it helps to use Google Maps on the phone at times. However, I found that when the phone is in bluetooth mode and connected to the infotainment system the voice guidance from the phone can't be heard. Once I switch off the bluetooth on the phone, the voice guidance can be heard from the phone.

Now this is a bit annoying. Has anybody else experienced this? Any good solutions? I use an iphone 5, in case that makes a difference.
Old 30th January 2014, 10:30   #5533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
I agree that while MMI is reasonably accurate, it helps to use Google Maps on the phone at times. However, I found that when the phone is in bluetooth mode and connected to the infotainment system the voice guidance from the phone can't be heard. Once I switch off the bluetooth on the phone, the voice guidance can be heard from the phone.

Now this is a bit annoying. Has anybody else experienced this? Any good solutions? I use an iphone 5, in case that makes a difference.
Totally agree that MMI is no match for the google maps especially since google maps would be updated at frequent intervals. And its always advisable to compare the MMI vs google maps especially when you are in doubt and there is no one around to ask.

Coming to the bluetooth, I think this issue is not limited to google map voice guidance alone. I have an android phone and I was trying to play some recorded video and audio in the phone while the bluethooth was connected. And the media was not getting played in the phone. Though I had radio ON in the MMI at the moment, it was playing unaffected. I think with the bluetooth ON and connected, all media gets redirected to the MMI, including google map voice. But for google maps there might not be an option in the MMI for us to hear this. For other audio/video, switching to music or video in the MMI might help. BTW has anyone tried playing video in MMI over bluetooth. Does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK-MoJo View Post
I received my beast one month back, I think the navigation maps needs to be updated. While searching for locations it is not allowing to type completely and disables key pad by allowing only few keys. Looks like the locations are predefined. Do we need to upgrade maps?
Is it done in Service Centers? Is the update chargable? Can we do it by our self?
Since it is a one month old vehicle, the maps should be the latest - dont remember the latest version number. You could however check with your ASS the next time you are there. Updates are free of cost as of now and you have to depend on the ASS for the updates. The locations are predefined. 90-95% time you will find your search in the list. Also at times a location might not be displayed in the list due to spelling confusions. You will have to use google to find the correct spelling in that case or google maps to find the route...

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 30th January 2014 at 10:39. Reason: To avoid multiple posts.
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 10:59   #5534
BHPian

Quote:

Lets hope the XUV will make up for all this. I am almost decided to take just the cash discount.
Ridiculous pricing, taking the cash discount is the best thing to do here Hrishiz. And I'm sure the XUV by itself will make up for all such nonsense around

Quote:

Heavy Horse, Even I faced this issue using google maps with bluetooth. Its not phone specific. I use a Google Nexus 4. Initially thought it was something to do with the phone/app, but then you turn off bluetooth and the voice guidance can be heard from the phone. Turn off bluetooth and increase the phone volume is the only solution I've known.
Old 30th January 2014, 13:23   #5535
BHPian

Quote:
Though I had radio ON in the MMI at the moment, it was playing unaffected. I think with the bluetooth ON and connected, all media gets redirected to the MMI, including google map voice. But for google maps there might not be an option in the MMI for us to hear this. For other audio/video, switching to music or video in the MMI might help. BTW has anyone tried playing video in MMI over bluetooth. Does it work?

FundaG
Quote:
However, I found that when the phone is in bluetooth mode and connected to the infotainment system the voice guidance from the phone can't be heard. Once I switch off the bluetooth on the phone, the voice guidance can be heard from the phone.

TIP: If using Google Navigation, switch to Bluetooth Music. When no directions are being said by the app, the MMI will show PAUSED. But when she starts telling you where to go and what to go, it will show as Playing...

Hope that helps!
reevester is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks