Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 13:35   #5536
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Paid the full amount today.

I would get a Temporary Registration by Saturday and its only later next week they will take it for permanent registration.

Thank you all for your inputs. I have opted for
  1. Roots Megasonic horn
  2. Chrome at a couple of places
  3. Reverse cam (they offered a small discount, I was too time tied to hunt around)

No side step as suggested by you guys. The XUV Volcano Black, should be home by Saturday afternoon if things are going as planned.
Old 30th January 2014, 13:49   #5537

Folks - I am new to this forum and will need suggestions on <20 lac suv's. Have been driving a Ford Ikon, while I like the drive ... always wanted to graduate to an SUV. Love the Fortuner, but then its not pocket friendly.
I like the XUV for the looks and offerings but then have been reading a lot on the niggles & bad quality plastic & gear problems with their initial launch. Have this issues been fixed over time and is it a good buy now? Scorpio is another option but then feel it is slightly dated given the advent of new models.
Appreciate any inputs/suggestions to help me decide.
Thanks,
Old 30th January 2014, 13:56   #5538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrishiz View Post
Hi Guys,
I would be getting the XUV W8, from TVS motors Kochi.

They seem to be charging me ridiculous amount of money for following accessories. Is it worth going for it just because they are OE?

1. Chrome at 5 Places Rs.5800
2. Side Step - 14500
3. reverse cam - 10500

I am skeptical to take the vehicle outside for fitting reverse cam and stuff, because I am not sure if that would add to niggles to a vehicle which already very eager to throw up one.

They are offering 30000 cash discount or chose accessories worth the same and over pricing the same so as to make the discount nil, very smart I say.

Accessory shop 50meters from the showroom offered me below
1. Side Step - 8500
2. Reverse Cam - Xenos - 1800
3. 3D mat (Original ones,imported ones... Ya right I believe that) - 7000

Side step in Bangalore showroom, at least that i have witnessed my friends (who is also a bhpian) paying is 10450rs, and reverse cam was free, bundled in the offer
Old 30th January 2014, 14:54   #5539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
Side step in Bangalore showroom, at least that i have witnessed my friends (who is also a bhpian) paying is 10450rs, and reverse cam was free, bundled in the offer
TVS is the only dealer for XUV in Cochin and Trivandrum. Hence those guys are just playing on this grounds. Bangalore has Anant, Sireesh and India Garage.
If one is based in kerala, travelling to bangalore or chennai just to get the accessories wont make any sense, right. Or else some one will have to courier the same, which again is a headache. High time some one notified mahindra regarding such day light robberies by few of the dealers.

FundaG
Old 30th January 2014, 15:06   #5540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
I agree that while MMI is reasonably accurate, it helps to use Google Maps on the phone at times.
============= I use an iphone 5, in case that makes a difference.
May be slightly OT, but if one uses a dashboard-mounted PND like MMI or Garmin, wouldn't the device get heated up when the car is parked in the sun for an hour or longer ? And if so, wouldn't that damage the display/circuit inside? Or am I being too paranoid?
Old 30th January 2014, 17:10   #5541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post
TIP: If using Google Navigation, switch to Bluetooth Music. When no directions are being said by the app, the MMI will show PAUSED. But when she starts telling you where to go and what to go, it will show as Playing...

Hope that helps!
Reev I think you're on the right track. Everything worked as you said, but it was "paused" all the time. Off course I did'nt travel too far, maybe about a km, but it never came on "play". Usually soon after you press "start navigation" the babe starts to talk. Any additional inputs will be welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_a_u_r_a_b_h View Post
May be slightly OT, but if one uses a dashboard-mounted PND like MMI or Garmin, wouldn't the device get heated up when the car is parked in the sun for an hour or longer ? And if so, wouldn't that damage the display/circuit inside? Or am I being too paranoid?
Saurabh, I'm on a W8, so MMI is built into the info system. Hence no need for a separate unit. But those who do use a separate unit will have to take cognisance of what you say.
Old 30th January 2014, 17:17   #5542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_a_u_r_a_b_h View Post
Actually most cars come with this integrated. When you switch on the XUV (single turn of the key) you will immediately hear a fan whirring. This is the heatsink fan that is located in the MMI and is on throughout (till you remove the key). From what I saw, its massive in size and will definitely cool stuff down.

Smart engineering would be if Mahindra got some cool air from the AC vents to flow through the MMI although that increases the risk of condensation within the MMI. The above statement is of course my two cents/opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Reev I think you're on the right track. Everything worked as you said, but it was "paused" all the time. Off course I did'nt travel too far, maybe about a km, but it never came on "play". Usually soon after you press "start navigation" the babe starts to talk. Any additional inputs will be welcome
Glad it worked. It works flawlessly for me.

Since I am on Android, I have set up my Media player app (PowerAmp) to lower the music volume whenever any notification arrives. Thus when the Navigation app starts to say anything, the music automatically lowers down and goes back to the original volume when shes done speaking.
Old 30th January 2014, 20:14   #5543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post
Actually most cars come with this integrated. When you switch on the XUV (single turn of the key) you will immediately hear a fan whirring. This is the heatsink fan that is located in the MMI and is on throughout (till you remove the key). From what I saw, its massive in size and will definitely cool stuff down..
That's for W8. I have booked W6 which does not have MMI inbuilt . So have to go for a dashboard-mounted external display unit (irvm add on display would mean losing out on day/night mode plus possible vibrations)
Old 31st January 2014, 00:46   #5544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyfirst View Post
Folks - I am new to this forum and will need suggestions on <20 lac suv's. Have been driving a Ford Ikon, while I like the drive ... always wanted to graduate to an SUV. Love the Fortuner, but then its not pocket friendly.
I like the XUV for the looks and offerings but then have been reading a lot on the niggles & bad quality plastic & gear problems with their initial launch. Have this issues been fixed over time and is it a good buy now? Scorpio is another option but then feel it is slightly dated given the advent of new models.
Thanks,
Welcome to the forum. Please give a few more details on what you need, also i think you can try posting ur question on a thread in "what car" section there is one discussing exactly what you asked.

As forl XUV Mahindra has fixed up a lot of issues on the latest batches of XUV which has helped quite a bit per the reviews available on the net (Autocarindia etc and ownership threads).

I might sound biased but these very things i considered while i put my money on this horse. I too was just as confused as you are.
Old 31st January 2014, 09:00   #5545
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Any owners have experimented with after-market DRLs on their XUVs?
Please share pics if possible.
Old 31st January 2014, 09:34   #5546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyfirst View Post
Thanks,
Buying a car with a given budget is always a case of prioritizing your requirements - drive quality, seating comfort, number of seats for most common use, quality of the engine, suspension and NVH, mileage, long term reliability, after sales service (dealer/service center network, spare parts availability etc.), resale value, brand image to name a few. You can categorize these requirements as - must-have, would really like to have and nice-to-have. That should help you prune your initial list to 3 to 4 cars e.g. After that, you can take multiple test drives of each of those cars and then re-assess. As far as XUV is concerned (since this thread is XUV specific, I would like to limit my comments to XUV), it scores pretty well in most of these departments. But lets say if suspension and smooth ride on bumpy roads is one of your must-have requirements, XUV in my judgement doesn't fare that well (Duster/Terrano e.g. are far superior in this aspect). Same is the case with hassle free ownership. As you can make out from various posts on this thread, there are niggling/product quality issues with XUV but a lot of them are either fixed or are being progressively fixed by a very customer sensitive & friendly M&M group. But as far as sheer driving pleasure (both in city traffic as well as highway) is concerned, this car is a gem. So is the case with seating comfort -it's football field like 2nd row seats are simply amazing. The 3rd row isn't bad either for children. And if you look at the countless number of features that XUV offers at this price tag, it just becomes even more compelling. Enough has already been discussed and written about all these, so I will stop myself here.
s_a_u_r_a_b_h is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 09:52   #5547
Senior - BHPian

A small question to the XUV owners out here, I would like to understand the reason behind having those 4 stripes on top of the car? I have seen many car manufacturers have this on there cars and some cars does not have.

Can anybody help me understand?
Old 31st January 2014, 10:10   #5548
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
I would like to understand the reason behind having those 4 stripes on top of the car?
Corrugation imparts more rigidity to the sheet. For the sheets having same thickness, a corrugated sheet will have more toughness and rigidity than a plain sheet. That's why, roofing of a building is constructed comprising corrugated sheets. A corrugated sheet will have more resistance against bending than a plain sheet of the same thickness. The corrugations are stabilizers, just like steel reinforcements in concrete.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 31st January 2014 at 10:20.
  (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 10:14   #5549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Corrugation imparts more rigidity to the sheet. For the sheets having same thickness, a corrugated sheet will have more toughness and rigidity than a plain sheet. That's why, roofing of a building is constructed comprising corrugated sheets.
Thanks J.Ravi for the clarification. But I have seen most of the sedans and hatchbacks have a plain sheet except for Toyota Etios whereas MUV's, SUV's have this corrugated sheets.

So is it only used for bigger cars to maintain that toughness or any specific reason behind it?
Old 31st January 2014, 10:26   #5550
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
So is it only used for bigger cars to maintain that toughness or any specific reason behind it?
Since the unsupported width is more in SUVs than sedans and hatchbacks, corrugations are designed for their top. If the corrugations are to be avoided, a thicker gauge sheet is required to be used in order to ensure the same strength, which will increase the cost. So, using a corrugated sheet will be more economical than a plain sheet of a thicker gauge. A striped top improves the aesthetics of the vehicle, than a Plain Jane top.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 31st January 2014 at 10:37.
  (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks