Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2014, 13:57   #5656
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Fellas got delivery of my XUV yesterday. Enjoying every moment of it. Surreal!
Sometimes while driving still feel like dreaming.
On the lowerside have to keep close watch on the RPM meter to stay within run-in limits 1500-2200 (I hope I am right).
Manual says 1000Km but want to know experienced user opinion.
Till how many miles should I keep it in run-in rpm band?
There is a vague "KAT" sound i have heard a couple of time coming from either braking or suspension system. This comes on some jerks only.
Should I drive it for a couple more days or should report to service centre?

Thanks
Honda Monk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 15:54   #5657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
How do you guys get FE's in such range? I've done several long drives but the FE on MID never went beyond 13.5 - 14 kmpl and FE on full tank basis never touched even 13 kmpl
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
There are multiple factors

1. PSI in tyres
2. Load in the car
3. Accelaration style
4. Braking style
5. Usage of cruise control
6. A/C usage

Unless you manage to hit a sweet spot with respect to all these, you may NOT manage the BEST FE.

Edit:: If you manage to decelarate smoothly without applying brakes much, that itself will give you a good gain with respect to FE. I have noticed this myself; with heavy acceleration or braking, you fuel needle comes down really quick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
I used cruise control mostly with speed between 90 - 100 km/hr.
The use of brakes and clutch was to the minimum.
And these FE values are based on MID, not tank to tank so actual FE might be a bit less.
Frankly, I'm aware about how to extract higher FE using what kind of driving style - light footed drive, no abrupt braking/ acceleration, speed range in between 80 - 100 kmph etc etc. In our earlier Petrol Linea, whenever I was in mood to get very good FE figures, I used to drive like that and used to get FE of 18 kmph versus a usual 13-14 on highway. But whatever I use, XUV FE just does not budge.

I think Munnubhai also gets the same FE as mine.

I was thinking that may be Cruise Control (@ speed of about 120 - 140 kmph )was the reason as I use it in all my highway drives but not much (about 20% of the total distance - basis the opportunities available). But manasmadan's reply discarded that theory also to an extent.
Old 5th March 2014, 17:10   #5658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Fellas got delivery of my XUV yesterday. Enjoying every moment of it. Surreal!...
Thanks
Congratulations. Nice choice. My respect for the company has grown after FM me_sid's experience with them.
Report the sound to the service center. I have a feeling that it is the braking system, probably the brake pads or disks.
Old 7th March 2014, 08:47   #5659
BHPian

Quote:
Fellas got delivery of my XUV yesterday. Enjoying every moment of it. Surreal!
Sometimes while driving still feel like dreaming.
On the lowerside have to keep close watch on the RPM meter to stay within run-in limits 1500-2200 (I hope I am right).
Congratulations !!! For initial RPM levels, have a look at the thread - How to Run-In your new car
Old 7th March 2014, 15:34   #5660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post

Can you please give me some details on your alloys. Which brand is it and where can i find one?
Its from prestige. I am not sure where in your state you can find them.
Old 7th March 2014, 16:18   #5661
BHPian

Thanks saurabh!
It's only 5th day and only 250 Kms, so far I have been going light on engine with constant eye on rpm. It is in range of 1500 to 2500 I am maintaing, I hope I am not putting stress on engine at 1500.
Also since I shifted from honda city to xuv directly so getting used to the diesel engine of this size.
There has been 5-6 times I didn't press throttle enough during pick-up so it lugged for a flash second only couple of times. I pray that did NO HARM to the engine.

First service by mahindra for xuv is at 5000.
I might be going over board but wanted to know
What if I get oil change at 1000Km or it's good enough at 5000Km?

Thanks!
Old 8th March 2014, 14:01   #5662
Senior - BHPian

XUV W6 now also available in Satin White colour as per the facebook page and website.

http://mahindraxuv500.com/product/co...v500models.htm
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 17:03   #5663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
XUV W6 now also available in Satin White colour as per the facebook page and website.

http://mahindraxuv500.com/product/co...v500models.htm
Thanks for the info. Hope Dolphin Grey also has been added to W4 Choices. Previously only two colour choices were there for W4.
Old 8th March 2014, 17:25   #5664
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks,

I have some queries on the GPS in W8. Any replies would be welcome.

Can anyone confirm if the MMI GPS in W8 stores the location of Mahindra dealers/ service centres?

What is the latest MMI version presently loaded on the GPS?

Will the dealer update before delivery or would need to do it on my own by downloading from internet?
Old 8th March 2014, 22:24   #5665
BANNED

Quote:
Hi folks,

I have some queries on the GPS in W8. Any replies would be welcome.

Can anyone confirm if the MMI GPS in W8 stores the location of Mahindra dealers/ service centres?

Will the dealer update before delivery or would need to do it on my own by downloading from internet?

Ver 8 of MMI maps are available at dealerships
spkingsley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 22:25   #5666
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks saurabh!
It's only 5th day and only 250 Kms, so far I have been going light on engine with constant eye on rpm. It is in range of 1500 to 2500 I am maintaing, I hope I am not putting stress on engine at 1500.
Also since I shifted from honda city to xuv directly so getting used to the diesel engine of this size.
There has been 5-6 times I didn't press throttle enough during pick-up so it lugged for a flash second only couple of times. I pray that did NO HARM to the engine.

Thanks!

First oil change is good enough at 5000 Kms
spkingsley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 07:21   #5667
BHPian

Quote:
There is a vague "KAT" sound i have heard a couple of time coming from either braking or suspension system. This comes on some jerks only.
Should I drive it for a couple more days or should report to service centre?

Thanks
Quote:

Thanks!
  1. If you stay within 2000 RPM (approx) for the first 1000 KM, your running-in should be fine. But you must drive your car at different speeds (and gears), staying below 2000 RPM, for a good running-in. For example, you should rev your XUV to 2000 RPM even in lower gears.
  2. The XUV engine is a hardy one and you don't need to worry too much about lugging it once in a while in higher gears at lower RPMs. Also, turbocharged diesel engines have a slight 'turbo lag' which first time users need to get used to. Anyway, the XUV engine has very little turbo lag.
  3. The vague 'kat' sound that you heard could be from the suspension, body (including doors or rear hatch) or something loose in the car. Unless the sound is alarmingly loud, don't worry too much about it. Keep observing occurrences of this sound carefully as you drive and see if the sound is increasing, staying the same or reducing. You can get it checked out during the first service.
  4. The XUV uses a synthetic oil which has a life of 20,000 KM. Follow the manufacturer's recommendation and do the first oil change at 5,000 KM. There is N O T H I N G to be gained by changing oil at intervals more frequent than recommended by the manufacturer. My detailed thoughts on this issue are at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3051637
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 07:38   #5668
J.Ravi

Quote:
Yes. Mahindra dealerships'/workshops' and Club Mahindra's locations are stored in PoI.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-mmipoi.jpg

Quote:
Version 8.0. Although I have verson 8.1 in my stand-alone MMI navigator, Mahindra dealership India Garage confirmed that they don't have it as of now.

Quote:
The dealer will do it. Similarly, all the upgrades during the warranty period will also be done by the dealership free of charge.
  (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 09:36   #5669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks saurabh!
Don't worry about this, Diesel engines are very sturdy. m-hawk Engine in this state of tune has good amount of pep low down, 1200-1500 rpm is my preferred range in crawling traffic. Unless you regularly try to accelerate at speeds lower than idle you wont damage the engine. Even when the engine speeds go below idle speed at load, the anti stall system takes over, tries to prevent the engine from stalling and maybe damage to the engine is lowered too(just my guess).
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 15:27   #5670
BHPian

Got the delivery of my Black Beast (W6) on Friday and am falling in love with the vehicle every time i have been behind the wheel in the last 2 days. Be it the comprehensive feature list, the powerful torquey engine, the commanding driving position or the respect you get on the road , am just awestruck. One of the best machines i have driven so far. Took her out for a spin on the new 6 lane elevated airport road and just loved the balance and control she has to offer, not to forget the awesome in-gear acceleration. Will be writing a detailed buying experience review soon.

Only one issue i have faced so far is the driver side door open alarm going off even when the door is closed. I reckoned the door switch sensor which activates the alarm may not be getting pressed properly when the door is closed, used a couple of layers of double sided tape on the part of the door which makes contact with the switch and its fine now. Will get it checked by the service center soon, not a major concern, but it still reminded me of the fact that i bought a car from an Indian Manufacture.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks