Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:52   #5701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

But with a budget of 12L, you must have opted for the top end Ecosport. Won't the W4 then be a downgrade in terms of features?
I opted for Titanium. Yes, it will be a downgrade, but I will at least have the vehicle! With Ecosport, I have no idea when I will get it.. still not decided though, but will surely take a final call next month.

Last edited by GTO : 24th March 2014 at 14:57. Reason: Typos
Bluestallion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 12:20   #5702
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranvakati View Post
XUV w4 is priced equivalent to duster 110 ps RXL. I already owned a duster in chennai and sold it there when i moved to bangalore. I was almost about to book duster 110 ps rxl but then i found xuv w4 and decided to give a test drive.

I liked the vehicle overall, has more features than duster like 2 additional seats, rear A/C, tank like build, amazing power and no turbo lag.

One the other hand duster is compact sized if one is looking for only a 5 seater, less body roll and lighter steering (good for city driving).

I almost decided on XUV as i will be using the vehicle mostly on highways but the ICE let down bigtime. No USB and bluetooth reciever.
I dont worry much about bluetooth as i can get a standalone GPS navigation + bluetooth hands free device. But no USB is a big irritant. I can't rely on CDs anymore (sick of keeping stock in the vehicle) and don't want to use my phone every time to play songs via aux input. Adding to this there is no way one can replace the stock HU . How could mahindra oversee this basic feature.

Guys is there a viable substitute to overcome this no USB option ?
kiranvakati, I was under the same dilemma for the last couple of months. Test drove both 85 & 110 PS duster/terrano extensively, significant turbo lag at lower RPMs in 110 makes it relatively less suitable for city use, which was to be my primary usage.
Coming back to the discussion, XUV W8(was the only test drive model available)was the last among these to be test driven. In the first five minutes the segment gap was evident. Driver height, road presence, stance, power delivery, space are miles ahead of any compact SUV. By the time the test drive was over, there was hardly any doubt as to where I would be parking my money. Features in W4 were more or less equivalent to XLD Terrano. The only scenario I would be spending 12 on a duster/Terrano/Ecosport would be if I already have a proper SUV(read Endeavor, Fortuner, Rexton etc..) in my garage and I want a more compact vehicle to compliment one of these.
Bhatt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 15:57   #5703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatt View Post
kiranvakati, I was under the same dilemma for the last couple of months. Test drove both 85 & 110 PS duster/terrano extensively, significant turbo lag at lower RPMs in 110 makes it relatively less suitable for city use, which was to be my primary usage.
Coming back to the discussion, XUV W8(was the only test drive model available)was the last among these to be test driven. In the first five minutes the segment gap was evident. Driver height, road presence, stance, power delivery, space are miles ahead of any compact SUV. By the time the test drive was over, there was hardly any doubt as to where I would be parking my money. Features in W4 were more or less equivalent to XLD Terrano. The only scenario I would be spending 12 on a duster/Terrano/Ecosport would be if I already have a proper SUV(read Endeavor, Fortuner, Rexton etc..) in my garage and I want a more compact vehicle to compliment one of these.
I presume you bought a W4. I test drove a W4 and not W8 coz i know im not going to look beyond W4 because of my budget constraint.

Each one have their own perspective. Yes you what siad abt compact SUVs may be right for one set of ppl. But im on the other side of the card. I had a swift before and was looking for an upgrade, my obvious choice was a C1 sedan(12 L budget) initially thats when duster came into the fray. Duster suited my requirements perfect. I go to my village pretty frequently where a sedan can venture only with extra care.

To me Duster is perfect cross-over with high GC, large boot and no-nonsense looks of a SUV but drives smooth like a sedan.

Now since i can get XUV W4 for 12L im comparing or else i wouldn't have even went near mahindra show room as XUV W6 is sure out of reach for my budget.

Coming back to W4, if you are owning a W4 how are you coping up with not having USB-in option in the ICE ?
Old 23rd March 2014, 18:48   #5704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I presume you bought a W4. I test drove a W4 and not W8 coz i know im not going to look beyond W4 because of my budget constraint.

Each one have their own perspective. Yes you what siad abt compact SUVs may be right for one set of ppl. But im on the other side of the card. I had a swift before and was looking for an upgrade, my obvious choice was a C1 sedan(12 L budget) initially thats when duster came into the fray. Duster suited my requirements perfect. I go to my village pretty frequently where a sedan can venture only with extra care.

To me Duster is perfect cross-over with high GC, large boot and no-nonsense looks of a SUV but drives smooth like a sedan.

Now since i can get XUV W4 for 12L im comparing or else i wouldn't have even went near mahindra show room as XUV W6 is sure out of reach for my budget.

Coming back to W4, if you are owning a W4 how are you coping up with not having USB-in option in the ICE ?
This has been discussed before. Simple, remove the clock from the dash, put in a single din deck which has a USB, thats it. You dont need to use the CD player that is already provided.
Old 23rd March 2014, 18:49   #5705
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, went for a black W4. I personally am not a big fan of Duster/Terrano's rear, again is a matter of perspective. Regarding USB input, do not miss it much as AUX input makes up for the absence, though it surely is strange not to have this feature in this price bracket. I think W4 would be the only car available in India to be equipped with 2 Airbags/ABS, and without a USB input.
Old 23rd March 2014, 20:26   #5706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
This has been discussed before. Simple, remove the clock from the dash, put in a single din deck which has a USB, thats it. You dont need to use the CD player that is already provided.
Sales guy mentioned doing any changes to the dash will void the warranty.

Last edited by kiranvakati : 23rd March 2014 at 20:28.
Old 23rd March 2014, 20:41   #5707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thats the statement they have for every question. Till the time you dont cut their original wires, no one can void your warranty and this you can legally fight.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 08:49   #5708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Thats the statement they have for every question. Till the time you dont cut their original wires, no one can void your warranty and this you can legally fight.

I was told putting in HU/speakers purchased from outside the dealership would void my warranty. This was in regards to a Maruti Dealership but I see garbage was not exclusive to them.
Old 25th March 2014, 21:47   #5709
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks!

Finally planning to take delivery of my Silver W8 on 31 Mar.
I have planned to install rear cam (quoted at 3K by dealer) right away. As well, I have asked for the underbody anti-rust treatment of vehicle as the vehicle will be used in coastal areas for some time. The dealer has quoted 5.5k for 3M coating. The entire vehicle coating was quoted at 12k which i found to be unnecessary.

Comments of the fellow BHPians on anti-rust coating is solicited.
Old 25th March 2014, 23:20   #5710
BHPian

I got my white XUV 500 W8 AWD last Thursday. Already clocked 1500 Kms and not issues till now. Falling in love with it every day. Have fixed the headrest monitors , Illuminated scuff plates , Rear Guard , rear view camera and side steps in to the beast .
Baburajs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 07:01   #5711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
The dealer has quoted 5.5k for 3M coating. The entire vehicle coating was quoted at 12k which i found to be unnecessary.

In my opinion the anti-rust coating is not necessary in new generation vehicles. They will get sufficient amount of anti-rust coating from factory itself.
MaxTorque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 09:53   #5712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
In my opinion the anti-rust coating is not necessary in new generation vehicles. They will get sufficient amount of anti-rust coating from factory itself.
It depends on the location as well. If you stay/drive in humid climate like Mumbai, Chennai, Mangalore, Kolkata etc., chances of rusting are higher and coating may make sense.
s_a_u_r_a_b_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 11:45   #5713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_a_u_r_a_b_h View Post
It depends on the location as well. If you stay/drive in humid climate like Mumbai, Chennai, Mangalore, Kolkata etc., chances of rusting are higher and coating may make sense.
Agree with you. But the under body coating is not going to enhance the anti-rust properties of the bodies directly. There are other processes (Phosphating and Electro Deposition) which gives anti-rust properties to the vehicle shell. The under body coating basically protect the ED coating from damages due to chipping, scrapping etc. The thickness of this coating varies from 300-500 microns in general. If someone gives an additional coat, the existing coating will be further enhanced.

Obviously it's our call whether to go for this additional coating or not.
MaxTorque is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 11:59   #5714
BHPian

Quote:
I have asked for the underbody anti-rust treatment of vehicle as the vehicle will be used in coastal areas for some time. The dealer has quoted 5.5k for 3M coating. The entire vehicle coating was quoted at 12k which i found to be unnecessary.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_a_u_r_a_b_h View Post
Quote:
Agree with you. But the under body coating is not going to enhance the anti-rust properties of the bodies directly. There are other processes (Phosphating and Electro Deposition) which gives anti-rust properties to the vehicle shell. The under body coating basically protect the ED coating from damages due to chipping, scrapping etc. The thickness of this coating varies from 300-500 microns in general. If someone gives an additional coat, the existing coating will be further enhanced.

Obviously it's our call whether to go for this additional coating or not.
I do not recommend any coatings. My detailed views are at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2919980
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 15:00   #5715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks!

The dealer has quoted 5.5k for 3M coating. The entire vehicle coating was quoted at 12k which i found to be unnecessary.

Just curious about the "entire vehicle coating" part. I can understand if you are getting just the underbody (metal parts) coated with the chemical. How do they propose to coat the painted surfaces over the vehicle with anti-rust chemical?

Please share some more details.

This is very likely a paint-protection with 3M or Wurth anti-rust underbody coating that you are being offered/ sold.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks